• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

How exactly is it unreasonable to except two chargers in the box when the system is a hybrid console/handheld? One for the Switch dock and one for taking the Switch on the go?

Is it required to operate the device? No? Will including it in the box result in more money or less money? Less? Then it's not in the box.

Honestly, it's perfectly fine to just unplug the one AC adapter and bring it with you. If you want a second one that's a pure extra convenience play, not part of the core value proposition. Why would it be in the box?

Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.

Oddly enough, I guess this means I fall exactly within the norm for your store.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Master Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition (for a friend)
Super Bomberman R
Switch Pro Controller
Archer Link amiibo
Rider Link amiibo
Zelda amiibo
Bokoblin amiibo
Guardian amiibo

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.

That sounds goddamn crazy. I thought I was going all out with Zelda, 1-2 Switch, joycon pair, pro controller and charging grip.

Finn

How exactly is it unreasonable to except two chargers in the box when the system is a hybrid console/handheld? One for the Switch dock and one for taking the Switch on the go?

Edit: Maybe not 2 chargers, but have a power adapter built into the dock and a normal power cable plug into the dock and a separate power charger for taking the system on the go.

I mean, Nintendo could pack in any number of accessories and games and simply pass on the cost to the consumer by raising the price. By not including the second charger, they allow consumers to decide for themselves if a second is necessary. Unless you're expecting them to pack more in the box but charge the same price which, from their point of view, doesn't make much sense.

Moreover, I don't think a typical consumer would perceive an additional charger included in the box as some great value.

Oregano

I mean, Nintendo could pack in any number of accessories and games and simply pass on the cost to the consumer by raising the price. By not including the second charger, they allow consumers to decide for themselves if a second is necessary. Unless you're expecting them to pack more in the box but charge the same price which, from their point of view, doesn't make much sense.

Moreover, I don't think a typical consumer would perceive an additional charger included in the box as some great value.

Said better than I probably ever could.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You're missing a lot evidently. There are lots of great games for the Switch. Keep your ignorant comments out of here.

Such as...? I think you're just about the only one who would say that there are "lots of great games for Switch". That's how many consoles are at launch though, so not the end of the world and is to be expected, really. No need to get all defensive!

While I don't think anyone should expect to see two chargers in the box, let's not pretend that Nintendo is doing us some big favor here. They just know they can make more money by selling it separately. And, of course I'm fine with it because it's not a necessity.

watershed

Banned
The high attach rate is interesting but it could be the result of Gamestop specifically shepherding people towards their bundles.

this is good for Nintendo, but obviously GameStop really wants this to be a Wii level console. it's hard to take that part seriously and the attach rate talk can be attributed to the strength of Zelda

Kindekuma

Banned
Well this is exciting! Still haven't found a Switch unit in retail yet, still sold out everywhere in my city.

This holiday season is mostly likely going to be insane for the Switch with Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, and XC2 on the market.

RootCause

Zelda is the system seller but it isn't the only appealing game on the system. I just got me this beauty:

Fully playable in English too! The Switch eShop is killing it with FAST RMX, The Binding of Isaac (also got a retail release in America, I'm waiting for my import to arrive) and others like Blastermaster Zero.

Just Dance reaches a different audience and Bomberman is a feel good pick up and play game.
Did Blastermastet get a physical release?

I'd rather they not do force bundles

Yea, I hate when they do this with items that are hard to find or sell out quickly. They add guides and stuff to Limited Editions of games all the time too. Normally you can at least return the extras since they are rung up separately on the receipt.

They just need to keep releasing good games. Don't let it have a software drought, and don't go too long without timely, full-fat, AAA-style experiences from Nintendo (or anyone else). The Switch has pretty legit hype right now, and Zelda is doing well - but it won't mean anything if momentum doesn't keep going.

Anecdotal but this is the most money I have ever spent on a new console launch. Surprised to hear others have forked over hard cash too.

I bought:

System
Pro controller
Second pair of joycons
200 GB card
Zelda (standard)
Zelda (special edition)
$20 eshop cred
and a battery pack.

Kyzer

Banned
Zelda is the system seller but it isn't the only appealing game on the system. I just got me this beauty:

Fully playable in English too! The Switch eShop is killing it with FAST RMX, The Binding of Isaac (also got a retail release in America, I'm waiting for my import to arrive) and others like Blastermaster Zero.

Just Dance reaches a different audience and Bomberman is a feel good pick up and play game.

Nice! My copy is on the way. Was out of stock in a lot of import shops! In the meantime I got this from amazon.co.jp:

IMG_20170320_195410.jpg

My first time playing disgaea. Was really nice to just slide the cartridge in and already have it set to english. Region free is incredible on switch!

LJ11

The high attach rate is interesting but it could be the result of Gamestop specifically shepherding people towards their bundles.
Hard to say, but the Switch model is a retailers dream. You're going to need a case if you take it on the go, screen protector is a good idea, may need a memory card, plus whatever games and extra controllers you want. Easy to tack on additional items.

I want to believe it but I'm going to wait 2-3 months and see what the sales look like before I get happy for nintendo. Hope it's true though.

Nice! My copy is on the way. Was out of stock in a lot of import shops! In the meantime I got this from amazon.co.jp:

My first time playing disgaea. Was really nice to just slide the cartridge in and already have it set to english. Region free is incredible on switch!

Awesome! I've been waiting for I am Setsuna to get an English retail release for a while, I never feel right spending £20+ on a digital game. Jumped at the chance. I'll pick up Disgaea when it comes out in the UK, only played the first.

pringles

Pretty much every accessory such as cases/pro-controllers, along with the console itself seems to be sold out almost everywhere I look.

Mario Kart 8D is gonna be HUGE for this console.

watershed

Banned
They just need to keep releasing good games. Don't let it have a software drought, and don't go too long without timely, full-fat, AAA-style experiences from Nintendo (or anyone else). The Switch has pretty legit hype right now, and Zelda is doing well - but it won't mean anything if momentum doesn't keep going.
I think the drought is already here. Once people stop playing Zelda there's no big game until Mario Kart. I don't know the release dates of those great Nindies but even those aren't bug retail releases. I've probably got 1 more week of playing Zelda every day, then...nothing. My Switch is gonna hibernate until something I can sink my teeth into comes out. There is definitely no other launch title I'm gonna pick up at this point.

Finn

While I don't think anyone should expect to see two chargers in the box, let's not pretend that Nintendo is doing us some big favor here. They just know they can make more money by selling it separately.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that Nintendo didn't include an additional charger because they're trying to do us all a favor -- a corporation is a corporation is a corporation, and they'll do what they hope will make them the most money. No one should have any illusions about that. That said, I think the lack of a second charger doesn't really harm consumers in any real way.

Betty

Banned
Very happy to hear this, The Switch has paid for itself already with Zelda IMO, but knowing Nintendo have good word of mouth and sales is just cake.

Well, if Gamestops Senior Director of Merchandising says it could eclipse the Wii then it must be so.

Look out world!

This shit is laughable.

With that said, Zelda is amazing. Go buy a Switch and enjoy it.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't think anyone has ever doubted that Nintendo consoles will sell well in month 1. Let's see how things are looking in year 3.

I went through the hassle of getting a digital code from Japan and I just can't get into it. I love SRPGs, but this one isn't grabbing me sadly.

I think the drought is already here. Once people stop playing Zelda there's no big game until Mario Kart. I don't know the release dates of those great Nindies but even those aren't bug retail releases. I've probably got 1 more week of playing Zelda every day, then...nothing. My Switch is gonna hibernate until something I can sink my teeth into comes out. There is definitely no other launch title I'm gonna pick up at this point.

Snake Pass and Has Been heroes are out next week, then Lego city undercover and Wonderboy early to mid next month, then Mario Kart at the end of the money. Not stellar, but they're there. I'm looking forward to at least three of those before Mario Kart comes out personally.

Bluth54

Is it required to operate the device? No? Will including it in the box result in more money or less money? Less? Then it's not in the box.

By that line of logic Nintendo shouldn't of included the joycon grips or straps since they aren't required to operate the device and result in less money for the company.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that Nintendo consoles will sell well in month 1. Let's see how things are looking in year 3.

Plenty of people doubted it. Plenty said they would sit on shelves at the $300 price point.

GameStop is a notorious source for predictions though. Nintendo just needs to keep bringing the big guns over the course of the system's life.

By that line of logic Nintendo shouldn't of included the joycon grips or straps since they aren't required to operate the device and result in less money for the company.

Now you're just arguing for the sake of doing so. It really isn't a big mystery why one charger is in the box. Nor should it be all that surprising.

Does the Japanese cartridge have full english dialog?

Japanese version has full english.

valeo

I really want a Switch but the fact that the games here cost $90 and all of the accessories are priced ridiculously really puts me off - especially coming from being solely a PC gamer for the last few years.

Buying 4-5 games means I'm basically buying another Switch again. That to me is ridiculous in this day and age.

AniHawk

i had been hearing that buyers were excited about switch. i think this could be like the 360 for nintendo where each month a game becomes a really big seller and soon everything is doing well. although nintendo isn't expecting it to be a slow burn and a lot more like the 3ds out the gate due to the increase in the forecast.

Top Bottom