• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Designer Calls Out Kojima on Sex (Pot to Kettle: "You are blue!")

Cortana: They might call you Master Chief, John, but you will always be my little boy..
Master Chief: Y-y-yes... ma'am
Cortana: Now come here and give mom a kiss... and I will teach you the mysteries of sex

From my upcoming Halo-fanfiction Cortana - The Last Frontier

Endo Punk

First we need to solve the problem of so much emphasis on violence then we can move over to the depiction of women. And as it stands I have no problem with Kojima making his characters more erotic or not.

supersaw

F0ytxoU.gif

It's kinda weird the response to MGSV these past few days, it's like people have been living in a bubble where the last MGS game they played was MGS1 15 years ago.
You have the shit storm over the "new" game mechanics, even though most of them were in MGS3/4 and especially Peacwalker and now Kojima is being called out because he was a sniper in a bikini?
I mean...was Sniper Wolfs outfit appropriate for Alaska? how about Naomi hanging out of her blouse in MGS4 or EVA in MGS3? orn the Beauty and the Beasts? Jeez, they get all horny when they're about to die...and lets not get started on Paz. It's clearly spelled out that she's a child and only 16 years old, then the next moment she's in her fucking underwear. Where was the outrage then?

Like I said, it's like people are just waking up out of a MGS hibernation. It's crazy.

Smash

Banned
and is things that easy in a work place. have you ever tried changing something you dislike in a work place and had to fight with upper mangement/people above you ? on your own aswell ?

But he's a brave PC warrior, he doesn't care if it gets him in trouble, he said so on twitter.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
If he doesn't have the balls (oh, I am so sexist for using that expression) to criticize their own colleagues, he should shout up about everyone else who does "sexist character designs". It makes him look hypocritical.

maybe he has inside house ? would that thing really go public if he did that ?

Acheteedo

There's nothing "worse" about it. In MGS there were always sexy ladies, it's like complaining there are Bond girls in James Bond movies. The Halo series changed devs and they could change the design if they wanted.

Has this guy ever played a MGS game? This is so fucking annoying, they are man babies themselves. Or is he also on the Anita Sarkeesian train?

"Worse" on the scale of "is this exploitative?", "does it demean women", etc. That's not a fight that I personally engage in or have any strong feelings about, but on this particular scale that Ellis is referring to, the Kojima pic is clearly further up it, which I guess crosses Ellis's line from "this is ok" to "this is not ok".

AHA-Lambda

As I said in the other thread

As much as the Cortana design speaks for itself, and I like both Quiet and Cortana :p, he is right.

This industry is really trying to be progressive now, sometimes a bit reactionary at that, but Kojima's comments like that don't fly these days. In fact I'm surprised we didn't hear anyone say anything before now.

Freaky

Neo Member
lol, look who is talking.

Anyhow, I think the sick idea of "Quite" being almost naked all the time is because she is able to change her skin color to match the environment she is on,more like the Octocamo in MGS4.

You can see around her eyes the skin changes from black "sniper's scope?" to normal skin color in the trailer.

otherwise, she need a black leather tights.

Carcetti

Those are some terrible skanky-ass leggings. But I guess that's what you have to do if you want to sell as many faptastic statues as possible.

Kukuk

Banned
Fucking hate this "the industry is better than this" highhorse bullshit I see a lot of devs spewing these days. Gets really fucking old.

IvorB

He has a point though. Industry has a big problem with sexualised representations of women. It's pretty out of control...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ugh.

I am so sick of these moralist slams against niche games.

Newsflash: these aren't "representative of your (precious) industry", they are the rare viewpoint of a bizzare little game for a bizzare little audience.

Let people enjoy what they want... Stop policing video game content under the guise of "furthering the medium" as you decree it.

Replicant

Which one of these statements describes this situation best?:

A) Pot. Kettle. Black.
B) Let those who never sinned throw the first stone.
C) Hypocrite much?
D) All of the above.

He has a point though. Industry has a big problem with sexualised representations of women. It's pretty out of control...

As I said earlier, is it really any different than any other entertainment industry? That's how some people try to paint it, but I don't see it.

kpaadet

It sounds like Ellis have never played a MGS game before. At this point I wouldn' be surprised if Kojima is just trolling guys like Ellis and his political correct friends. He shoud focus on what I assume he is working on right now, figuring out why Master Chief would ever need to wear a poncho.

Ponn

Banned
its not like David outright designed cortana, you know he probably has has no say in what she looks like in game. and if he had his way going by what hes saying she would more than likely look different.

and is things that easy in a work place. have you ever tried changing something you dislike in a work place and had to fight with upper mangement/people above you ? on your own aswell ?

If this were true then you start complaining about your own house and get in order first before calling out other developers for the same thing your house is guilty for. This is a piss poor defense.

What i find even funnier is Kojima is one of those japanese developers who has repeatedly claimed to draw influence from western developers. And one decides to just up and take a shit on him for such a commn (in his own game at that) thing. At least call out some hentai or moe games.

As I said in the other thread
The problem with that line of thinking is that one developer is being upfront while the other has taken part in similar actions but is still attempting to ostracize that first developer for something they both do. It's hypocritical as fuck and he should be ashamed.

Lyot

First we need to solve the problem of so much emphasis on violence then we can move over to the depiction of women. And as it stands I have no problem with Kojima making his characters more erotic or not.

At least Koji games reward a non-lethal approach. You can't say that about the Halo series. But we know which game is going to be vastly criticized.

Kukuk

Banned
Ugh.

I am so sick of these moralist slams against niche games.

Newsflash: these aren't "representative of your (precious) industry", they are the rare viewpoint of a bizzare little game for a bizzare little audience.

Let people enjoy what they want... Stop policing video game content under the guise of "furthering the medium" as you decree it.

I like you.

Acheteedo

I dunno, as long we have dev teams like Naughty Dog pushing strong female characters who aren't sexualised, I'm perfectly happy having the other side present too.

PaulloDEC

Cortana has a little class, at least. She's just a sexy, naked digital lady doing her thing. That Phantom Pain character on the other hand is freakin' ludicrous.

"Oh, you've got a position open for a desert sniper? Hold on a second, gotta slip into my tiny leather bikini and ripped tights."

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Plenty of people on here seem to have a big problem with anyone daring to question it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

(straight) Men like women. So the character shows some skin for a bit of good fun. I fail to see why that is wrong.

le.phat

Quiet might be the first female game character that i find attractive. Thanks for bringing her to my attention, halo guy!

Top Bottom