• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Neoweee

WHY ARE YOU ASSHOLES HUNGRY ALL THE TIME....

Seriously, I camped and used 8 food and they got hungry like five times afterwards. ffs I bought two stacks of food and ended up not having enough when they got hungry at the end.

RNG hunger was one of my biggest complaints with the EA, sad to see it still here. Most of the RNG in hte game is okay, but this just seems like BS. Yes, it is more minor, but it also feels like there's not much of a way to mitigate it other than ODing on food during provisioning, and even then isn't enough.

Dreavus

I just saw the achievement for taking your first two adventurers all the way to the last dungeon.

I'm pretty sure my Highwayman died immediately in the first non-tutorial mission, so... so much for that I guess!

LiK

As long as they don't add heart attacks IRL. I'm good with just stress IRL

iFwVnyg.gif

he's working hard for donations

I just saw the achievement for taking your first two adventurers all the way to the last dungeon.

I'm pretty sure my Highwayman died immediately in the first non-tutorial mission, so... so much for that I guess!
My first game I lost my highwayman during the tutorial, lol.

SoundLad

Haven't played this since it became available last year, I'm ready to die again and again.

he's working hard for donations

I've watched Zeke on and off since he started streaming and he's always had a hot head. I don't think donations are on his mind when he goes on a rampage.

Not sure if there are VODs still available somewhere but he used to come to MANvsGAME stream sometimes to play fighting games (WWE, Super Smash, etc.) against MAN and he would get seriously angry and vocal after losing too many times. MAN just had a "this fucking guy" shit grin on his face the whole time. Absolutely hilarious.

AEREC

Is there a way to leave a dungeon once I started it...or do I have to complete a certain goal before I can go back to my Hamlet?

Also I have a monitor\TV setup in duplicate\clone mode (both 1080p) so I can switch from Monitor to TV whenever I feel like it. However an image doesn't show up on my TV for this game, only the in game mouse cursor on a black screen. This is the only game Ive seen do this...anyone know of a fix?

Hows controller support for the PC version?

non-exsistent.

charsace

One of the devs who made this posts in the gaf indie dev thread. I liked what I played of it though I think it can be unfair at times though that is what adds to it.

Anno

Is there a way to leave a dungeon once I started it...or do I have to complete a certain goal before I can go back to my Hamlet?

Also I have a monitorTV setup in duplicateclone mode (both 1080p) so I can switch from Monitor to TV whenever I feel like it. However an image doesn't show up on my TV for this game, only the in game mouse cursor on a black screen. This is the only game Ive seen do this...anyone know of a fix?

non-exsistent.

There should be a little white flag somewhere on screen that will let you retreat. You keep the items and gold you've found but everyone takes a stress penalty.

Falk

that puzzling face
Shoulda stuck him in the sanitarium.

He already had Kleptomania set in and it'd have cost a shit ton more pre-max-upgrade to get rid of Kleptomania vs what he actually takes.

I dunno, I'm still going for the cheev, but right now I just don't take him anywhere till I get my fully upgraded manor chevo

explodet

Man, sanitarium opens in week... 3? Or 4?

How much stuff did he take, lol?
In one run he took 3 loot finds.
RNG man, it's a killer in more ways than one.

The current thing that amuses me is when I'm ready to go adventuring again, the default location is the Darkest Dungeon. My party immediately collectively soils themselves and protests because they're all level 1.

DrArchon

Jesus, the spike in difficulty from easy to medium level missions is getting to me. Thought I was going in for a quick mission in the warrens and my leper ended up getting like 3 different diseases. Reynauld and Dismas are still chugging along too. Had them both go virtuous against some boss that I can remember so I'm glad that I've kept them around.

Really need to upgrade my stagecoach more though. It just keeps throwing bounty hunters and hellions at me when I really need more support troops. Finally got an occultist out of it. He didn't look like he was any good, but he's the first one I've seen in 20 weeks so I took him.

Begaria

I am getting my ass handed to me and I'm only 7 Weeks in. I've already lost three characters and had to abandon twice. RNG is really, really not liking me, especially when it comes to giving me new adventurers. I keep getting Vestals, Grave Robbers, and Crusaders. I've only gotten one Man at Arms, Hellion, and Arbalest. Yeesh.

gryvan

Is it just me or did they make veteran dungeons easier compared to what it was during early access?

Also I noticed they nerfed and buffed some trinkets too

I am getting my ass handed to me and I'm only 7 Weeks in. I've already lost three characters and had to abandon twice. RNG is really, really not liking me, especially when it comes to giving me new adventurers. I keep getting Vestals, Grave Robbers, and Crusaders. I've only gotten one Man at Arms, Hellion, and Arbalest. Yeesh.
Vestals and Crusaders are LETHAL with the right skills.

Grave robbers are a bit shit, tho.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it just me or did they make veteran dungeons easier compared to what it was during early access?

Anecdotal but I feel the early dungeons are easier, and the 3-4s more or less the same.

Getting a lot more ambushes in my favor thanks to a few overlapping tweaks, though.

I hate that high level characters refuse to go into lower level dungeons, but the final product is absolutely terrific. Loving it.

During Early Access I kept wishing there was a system that allowed for this. Cap their level/gear/skills to the dungeon max ("CBF mode") and/or make them take a cut of the loot for their trouble, but after a few playthroughs since then (both in EA and the current one) I'm finding it a somewhat interesting metagame trying to plan out in advance which heroes will do which bosses, which bosses can be tackled underlevelled so the heroes don't immediately get invalidated for other bosses on the same tier, which heroes are ultimately throwaway and just there to pass time and get some loot in the meantime, etc.

Having a max upgraded wagon helps.

Nothus

Also I noticed they nerfed and buffed some trinkets too

I did a couple of veteran dungeons yesterday that were supposed to require 1 camp. I finished both of them without even needing to set up a campfire at all. One of them was ridculous, I think I literally only had to do two fights before I had completed the mission (the quest was to demolish three satanic shrines).

Gothos

Just killed my first Shambler. Phew, wasn't easy. He dropped this:

IHSExWf.jpg

I didn't know there were even higher tier items than "Very rare" :) I think I'll sell it, though (7.5k gold!!), since it's nothing special imho :(

Just killed my first Shambler. Phew, wasn't easy. He dropped this:

IHSExWf.jpg

I didn't know there were even higher tier items than "Very rare" :) I think I'll sell it, though (7.5k gold!!), since it's nothing special imho :(

Stick that on a Man at Arms with that self-marking skill and just forcibly heal through the damage... could work for the Wyld.

I killed the Sonorous Prophet but lost two good guys in the process. Technically a victory but maaaan...

During Early Access I kept wishing there was a system that allowed for this. Cap their level/gear/skills to the dungeon max ("CBF mode") and/or make them take a cut of the loot for their trouble, but after a few playthroughs since then (both in EA and the current one) I'm finding it a somewhat interesting metagame trying to plan out in advance which heroes will do which bosses, which bosses can be tackled underlevelled so the heroes don't immediately get invalidated for other bosses on the same tier, which heroes are ultimately throwaway and just there to pass time and get some loot in the meantime, etc.

Having a max upgraded wagon helps.

I'm sure it adds some cool metagame stuff, I just wish they actually gave you a warning the first time through so you don't accidentally over-level your guys and screw up your progression a little like I did.

RNG hunger was one of my biggest complaints with the EA, sad to see it still here. Most of the RNG in hte game is okay, but this just seems like BS. Yes, it is more minor, but it also feels like there's not much of a way to mitigate it other than ODing on food during provisioning, and even then isn't enough.

It was bad before in EA with RNG hunger. But at least you could buy as much food as you wanted. Now that there's a limit of food you can buy per expedition it becomes a bigger problem during (medium) expeditions, specifically because you can only buy two stacks of food.

It makes me not even want to camp for fear of needing the food for later. I even take cleansing spices for the hope of possibly finding a food curio I can cleanse, but sometimes you just don't run into one.

I really wish they would implement some sort of meter or at least a trigger where it would not trigger hunger again for (x) amount of rooms explored since you've last eaten.

chixdiggit

Looking forward to digging into this game. I have owned it since early access launch but stopped playing shortly after to wait for the finished product.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm sure it adds some cool metagame stuff, I just wish they actually gave you a warning the first time through so you don't accidentally over-level your guys and screw up your progression a little like I did.

Eh yeah, I don't disagree there.

kionedrik

Took my 60% disease resistance Helion out for a walk in the Warrens, had 1 fight and this was the result:

KBcVz4q.png

Luckily the Sanitarium removed all 3 at once but I had to run that dungeon with basically 3 functional party members.

Just started and a quick question - how long does treatment for stress relief take? I've put a character in the Abbey Transcept and another gambling at the tavern. How long do I leave them there to drop their stress?

Just started and a quick question - how long does treatment for stress relief take? I've put a character in the Abbey Transcept and another gambling at the tavern. How long do I leave them there to drop their stress?

Depends. Each activity removes a set amount of stress, with higher-cost activities removing more. Each lasts a week. So, if you're just sticking them in there to take the edge off of a 60 stress count, you'll be fine after 1 week, but if they went full mental you might have to keep them in there for longer.

One run, although shit can happen and they walk off into traffic or something.

I've noticed that drinking tends to have the highest risk of "lol character nopes off nobody knows where they've gone" type penalties.

Which is... fitting, I suppose.

Sölf

One run, although shit can happen and they walk off into traffic or something.

My only healer decided that praying is important. Like, 4 runs important. Wtf. At least all of my suicide missions succeded, because the "100% of rooms battles" only consisted of 1-2 room battles. xD

Nothus

Just took down the collector while I was doing a quick dungeon with some low level characters, the guy just popped up out of nowhere!
My initial reaction was to just get the hell out of there but decided to stick with it. I was using a Jester for pretty much the first time and was surprised at how useful he was. A decent combination of buffs, stress heals and bleed attacks.

Anyway I thought the collector dropped something awesome when he died but it was only an item that is automatically converted into gold when you finish the mission :(

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like getting your weapons up to level 2 and your skills up to level 3 is almost mandatory for Level 3 dungeons. I regularly got my ass kicked in there, just now I'm somewhat able to deal with those basterds. God damn, bleed and blight get ridiculously deadly later on. My Jester had a streak going and took like 16 blight damage each round. Urgh...

Depends. Each activity removes a set amount of stress, with higher-cost activities removing more. Each lasts a week. So, if you're just sticking them in there to take the edge off of a 60 stress count, you'll be fine after 1 week, but if they went full mental you might have to keep them in there for longer.

And sometimes those assholes just decide to stay inside or wander off to do whatever the hell they do in this hellhole for a couple of weeks. My vestal just decided "Eh, those guys don't need a healer. I'm off for three weaks, peace out!"

Anybody here using an Abomination? Out of all the classes it seems the least usefull. Stress is already almost impossible to get rid of, so adding some more each battle doesn't seem...balanced.

Reynaud said:
Hey guys, is it okay if I miss three times in a row in this boss battle? Yolo amiright? LOL! You three...hey, were'd the third guy go?
I hate you so much Reynaud

DrArchon

Fuck the Bandit 8-pounder. What a load of shit. "Oh, you missed one attack against the lighters that it constantly summons? 4 guys on death's door. No, I don't care if you killed the lighter every single turn for the previous 6 turns."

Seriously, it should summon one every other turn. It's way too easy to miss one attack and not be able to kill it and watch as your whole team goes to 0 hp, especially with his dodge of 13. You need to dedicate 3 people to killing that one guy, and then you don't have enough to kill the cannon in less than 50 fucking turns because it has 70% PROT and is immune to blight/bleed. Total crap.

Anybody here using an Abomination? Out of all the classes it seems the least usefull. Stress is already almost impossible to get rid of, so adding some more each battle doesn't seem...balanced.

Had a nice one that died to the 8-pounder (it's why I'm pissed at it). He was super tough. Really tanky and great damage output. I only used him because I got a trinket that cut the stress he gave to teammates when he transformed by 25%. That made him useful.

Gothos

Plus, not every hero wants to be in party with Abom :) Yea, he has quite a lot of downsides but I still keep one in my roster.

Yeah, Abomination is tricky. He's a crazy strong party member on his own, but that stress hit can be dire. If you can get a reliable source of stress healing, or a decent amount of stress damage resistance, he's definitely worth keeping around.

Honestly I mostly just use him in his human form, since his chain attack is pretty good, and there nothing wrong with blight. Even when I had him transforming for nearly every battle in a dungeon it wasn't to bad(i forgot his human form doesn't have attacks in position 1). Of course I assume everyone I take into a dungeon will need to spend time relieving stress anyways(which i guess is strange considering how easy it can be to complete a mission with low stress), so it doesn't change much for me.

Aaron

While I love the game overall, they put too much in this stew. Diseases and trinkets feel like pointless annoyances, and disturb the flow of the game for me. On the upside, corpses are pretty much a non issue.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Decided to jump in on this. After reading some of the impressions here and watching LethalFrag on twitch, I decided that this is up my alley. I'm interested in seeing if some of the complaints I see on here will resonate with me as well.

While I love the game overall, they put too much in this stew. Diseases and trinkets feel like pointless annoyances, and disturb the flow of the game for me. On the upside, corpses are pretty much a non issue.

Trinkets can save your life moneywise.

But yeah, I pretty much agree. The idea of Trinkets are cool, but the negatives of each far outweight the passives they give.

gryvan

If you guys want to remove diseases without waiting a day at the sanitoroum, take a plague doctor and camp with him during a dungeon run. His camp skill gets rid of all diseases on 1 hero.

Practically amazing

DrArchon

If you guys want to remove diseases without waiting a day at the sanitoroum, take a plague doctor and camp with him during a dungeon run. His camp skill gets rid of all diseases on 1 hero.

Practically amazing

Grave robbers can have the same camping ability. I remember using it once and having a leper lose 3 diseases right before a boss fight. Probably saved my ass.

But yeah, probably better to bring along a plague doctor for that, because grave robbers kinda blow most of the time.

Top Bottom