• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

If that's a hardware thing it's going to look terribad on people's TVs considering I imagine a lot are still set at factory/display settings with sharpness cranked up. :/

Anyway, here's a gif of the same scene, no sharpen applied. The only thing "corrected" in the PS4 image is colour space. From DF's image gallery.
http://abload.de/img/1920x-1clqcs.gif

Pryce

pd89c.gif

Looks great.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn GAF 114 pages

Can someone give me a summary of what I missed?.

PS4 looks closest to PC.

XO uses filters to make the image look horrible, losing all detail in dark areas with jaggies and artifacts everywhere.

If you want the ps4 version to look just as horrible but with less jaggies you can turn your saturation to 100, sharpness to 10, contrast/brightness to make everything as dark as possible on your TV.

Perkel

Banned
Most video is also 30 fps which will mask the frame rate difference and the bit rate will introduce a lot of noise. DF's raw 1080p60fps footage may be over dark and over saturated on the XB1 version but it'll high light the frame rate difference more clearly when they release it.

Not only framerate but also Image quality. Without proper big file video we literally can't see details what bigger resolution brings. This is why people don't see difference.

Add good IQ to lack of crawling jaggies all over the screen and there will be clean winner.

DF are blaming issues with the Bone's default colourspace because it is set to limited, but no one else really had much of an issue so it's DF's fault that they set their recording hardware to capture full RGB output rather than limited.

not true. they set the Xbone to output full RGB. it didn't. for some reason still being investigated. I don't see how that's DFs fault. you can only fault them for not noticing what was going on.

the artificial sharpening is apparent in all of the Xbox One footage I have seen on every site. DF definitely did not add it. the 'soft' look to the PS4 version is apparent in all the PS4 versions I have seen from other sites. DF definitely did not add it.

there is no conspiracy.

deadpixel

Banned
This is probably already said but DICE patched that in after people had complained about horrible input lag which was caused by the AA. I think it took like months for that patch to arrive.

It's still there in the SP and Coop modes. I don't know about MP, I'll have to check when I get home.

Kibbles

There's an option to disable anti aliasing on the PS3 version of BF3.
Anti-Aliasing.jpg

If it's the same on BF4 for PS4 it will solve the blurry, vasaline textures some of you have been complaining about.

Hopefully this time it allows you to choose between low medium and high. High blurs way too much, medium and low look pretty good.

I haven't finished reading the thread yet, this thing is huge, but do we know if the contrast problem I just pointed out is an issue with the bone's native output/gamma curve or a problem with the recording equipment being handed out?

As Zomg mentioned above, Digital Foundry are blaming the Xbox One itself and have said that because elsewhere was using the "Elgato Game Capture HD consumer-level devices" provided by EA (which, according to Digital Foundry is "unsuitable for DF work because they cannot acquire 1080p at 60 frames per second and they do not provide lossless video"). Digital Foundry "claimed that footage from " [the] Xbox One was also acquired at full range 0-255 RGB with the dash set accordingly, in line with the other versions - exactly how we approach every Face-Off." but that "the EA event was set by default to limited range RGB" which resulted in the crushed blacks.

So, honestly, it really is not clear if this is solely a Digital Foundry problem, an Xbox One issue, or a Dice issue (which I don't think is the case). This:
So what's going on with Xbox One?

Xbox One was also acquired at full range 0-255 RGB with the dash set accordingly, in line with the other versions - exactly how we approach every Face-Off. We have now had informal confirmation from a very good source that current Xbox One hardware has issues with full-range RGB output that are not present on either PC or PS4. We asked DICE for comment and were told that they are "investigating the video output range and settings for Xbox One".
must be taken with caution at the current time but is implying that it is an Xbox One issue.

So from what I've read: The PS4 version, has a higher global framerate, has a higher resolution, better effects (OA), anti-alising and an unfortunate filter that softens some of that.

The X1 version: Lower more inconsistent frame rate, lower resolution, and currently has some sort of an RGB issue that is crushing blacks and may or may not get patched with some of the missing effects.

The team overall was a bit sloppy with this port but the technical aspects here point to X1 being underpowered or having a steep learning curve. Neither being good imo because it never helped last gen when PS3 was in that spot.

Full disclosure - I'm only keeping a PS4.

That being said, all of these comparisons show me one thing - for your "average" consumer, they will not see much difference at all in their experience with either game based on what has been shown. I haven't seen much/any Xbone MP videos and there is always the question of how the online experience on both consoles will pan out, but if differences like these are what you think will swing the public one way or the other, you vastly overestimate the public.

I worked in a game store when the PSX and the original Tomb Raider came out and one customer, looking right at Tomb Raider and some 2D platformer on Sega Saturn could not understand why Tomb Raider was revolutionary at the time. The $399 vs. $499 price point will be FAR more important in this race.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We have now had informal confirmation from a very good source that current Xbox One hardware has issues with full-range RGB output that are not present on either PC or PS4.

I don't think MS should sort that out. People LOVE it!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So from what I've read: The PS4 version, has a higher global framerate, has a higher resolution, better effects (OA), anti-alising and an unfortunate filter that softens some of that.

The X1 version: Lower more inconsistent frame rate, lower resolution, and currently has some sort of an RGB issue that is crushing blacks and may or may not get patched with some of the missing effects.

The team overall seems sloppy in this port but the technical aspects here point to X1 being very behind or having a steep learning curve. Neither being good imo because it never helped last gen when PS3 was in that spot.

One correction - there's no 'softening' filter on the PS4, but there is a sharpening filter on the X1. I think also both have the same AA solution, just more resolution on PS4 obviously reduces the appearance of aliasing.

gioGAF

I think the masses from both camps should be happy with how this launch + cross gen title looks.

I do find the Digital Foundry situation appalling. I can understand if some noob puts up a video/images and messes up the settings on one platform, but for Digital Foundry to put something like their "Face-Off Preview" up is just shameful. Especially when there are multiple other sources that better showcase the same content.

Perkel

Banned

The team overall seems sloppy in this port but the technical aspects here point to X1 being very behind or having a steep learning curve. Neither being good imo because it never helped last gen when PS3 was in that spot.

There is no "soften" in PS4 version.

Xbone uses just sharpen filter and you can add sharpen via your remote for TV.
Sharpen in Xbone version isn't "better" it is worse because it makes aliasing even more noticeable

Top Bottom