• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you want to see Zelda go after Breath of the Wild?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
WARNING: OPEN GAMEPLAY SPOILERS. MARK STORY SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD.

Breath of the Wild has been out for two weeks. Many of us have had the time of our lives exploring Hyrule, finding every shrine and getting to know the most diverse cast of characters the series has ever had to offer. General consensus seems to be that this is the first game since Ocarina of Time to really offer the "wow" factor; a reinvention of what makes the series what it is while still retaining key elements of what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game.

After spending two weeks in GAF's seventy bajillion Zelda threads and watching various gaming outlets go over the game with a fine tooth and comb, I can pretty much definitively state that the majority opinion seems to be the following:

VH6Y8pxDFc4bkk9h4BiWYS.jpg

+Exploration is unrivaled
+Sense of freedom is truly remarkable, not only in where you can go but in how you can interact with the world
+Character design and interaction (quality) is quite good
+Side quests are well implemented and quite possibly the best in the series
+Open world is done in a way that avoids Ubisoft "checklist" pitfalls; this is something games have been trying to do for a long time
+Hyrule feels like a living, breathing world

It's a mindblowing game. But I've also noticed that the same general complaints seem to come up:

-Story and characters, while interesting, is sparsely told and fairly underwhelming (quantity)
-Lack of traditional dungeons is sorely missed
-Number of main quest dungeons is too few
-There is very little enemy variation
-It rains too much
-Music is not as prevalent or memorable outside of a few key tracks
-Bosses are extremely easy and offer little variation in design

And then, depending on who you ask:

*These are Amiibo tunics. You can't get these in-game.

+/-Lack of traditional Zelda elements such as the Triforce, tunic, and mandatory Master Sword are gone

It's clear that the team struggled with a way to provide a truly open ended experience without taking away key Zelda elements, and in most ways, they succeeded - but in others, they fell short.

Personally, I think BotW provides the perfect template for a better game. I want to see Zelda continue in this open ended direction while patching up the problems seen in this game. I still want to see a vast, explorable world that we can explore as we choose, but I'd prefer a bit more direction at times. BotW has vestiges of this in the quests leading up to the divine beasts - I want more of that, in storylines that lead up to the themed dungeons the series is known for. I'd like to see shrines return in a smaller capacity - less shrines, more big dungeons. BotW's "open-ness" is great, but goes a bit too far - I think the team could hit a nicer balance. Make the weather more varied and rain less punishing, and add a few new enemy types into the game. We only saw a small number of classic enemies in BotW, so they have a large repertoire to work with.

Basically, if they Majora's Mask this game, take the basics and make a new world/dungeons/cast out of it, I'd be happy. I don't want to see them return to the Ocarina formula of dungeon -> new tool -> boss -> overworld -> rinse/repeat again, because I think they've found something better.

What about you? Do you like the progressive design of BotW? How much of it do you think should stick? How many "classic" Zelda elements do you want to see return?

Darkman M

I hope they stay with the open world and just make improvements on what they started with BOTW. This was Nintendo's first attempt at an open world game so I'm sure they could improve upon it.

ckaneo

I want 1 more BOTW type game and then something new.

Also, there are no flaws with the open world in my opinion. Or I should say the only flaw for the game is that I want more things, which is development hell. Bigger dungeons, varied shrines, more bosses, more enemies, more story. Just give me more.

I dont actually think they missed a beat with the open world gameplay unless you consider how long it took them to make it.

Cerium

My big addition: UNDERWATER EXPLORATION

Seriously how cool would that be? The possibilities are endless.

Crayolan

I'd love if they go Majora's Mask style and make a smaller, more personal game reusing a lot of assets and systems from Breath of the Wild. I don't need a bigger number of dungeons or strictly traditional dungeons, just make them more complex, more Naboris and less Ruta. Or go in a completely different direction with dungeons, that'd be cool too.

Give me a Majora's Mask style expansion pack/sequel with the same engine, tighter scope, top-quality dungeons, and a more experimental storyline.

MoonFrog

I think it should go to the aLttP of BotW.

My thoughts from the OT2 on beating the game:
Going forward, I think the thing to work on, if the series is going to continue in this vein, is sorting out how to get the simulation, survival, exploration, and puzzle sections of the game to work well together.

I think this is at the core of issues people have with this game. Take durability. There is a strong case to be made for it vis-a-vis keeping loot and combat fresh and relevant. at least when it is at its best. But it also works against tool usage of those same devices. So perhaps have tools separated from weapons, but that runs up against another strain of BotW: the sandbox and sense of freedom where the attempt is made to perform all actions with one set of items and have those actions be relevant across general overworld play and combat. I think BotW prizes the fact that you can use any sharp edge to chop down a tree, that setting campfires has combat relevance, that you can use hoes and mops as weapons, etc. So what you have is a nest of competing design priorities as I see it that do, I think, manage to come together in an extremely compelling product but also have their areas of tension.

As another example, take the discrete nature of shrines and dungeons in BotW. A lot of us want more dungeons, better situated dungeons and shrines, etc. But the shrines function in part by limiting the traversal mechanics at your disposal, bringing you sort of halfway between BotW overworld gameplay and traditional Zelda gameplay. So the question becomes, how do you bring the Zelda dungeon into BotW gameplay? And I think that is a constant challenge to consider. Climb anywhere, fly anywhere, completely seamless world is quite an extreme design to accommodate. And it is also a huge part of what makes BotW compelling as an open world.

As to content (please keep in mind that I played this game like a madman. I am currently in-between in my life and I literally played Zelda almost non-stop for nine days now.):

-I think the shrines were good. I could enjoy them as bite-sized and when exploration was fertile and shrines common, there was quite a nice gameplay rhythm. Sometimes, though, I was definitely left feeling "that's it?" And I'm not talking about the reward shrines, in particular. Many of those are behind the best overworld content that had the most "Zelda" feel. Some aren't, but I am talking about standard shrines.

-Dungeons didn't cure me of this. There aren't enough of them. They aren't long enough. They are good, but they come across as extended shrines. Their situation, their bosses, etc. didn't inspire me.

-As I alluded to above, I think traversal, terrain, and the way the world came together made it very fun to explore. Shrines were an excellent carrot, but the world was also extremely fun to move around in.

-Korok seeds...are nice as little things you pick up on while looking for a bigger thing. When I got up past 100 shrines, had all my towers, all my dungeons, my
Master Sword,
then they became a bit annoying. Finding an area that was just a Korok seed ground became tiresome. Doing the same puzzles became tiresome, etc.

-I think combat is a weak link in the game. I followed the main quest after the plateau and played the game like a TES, going into the camps, killing the enemies, getting the loot and the chest. As the game wore on, however, the combat camps became largely too discrete from my core interests in the game and I just avoided them. Moreover, they generally weren't enticing on their own, with little variation in structure and result. The enemy types also got old.

I enjoyed the combat trials. I enjoyed the Lynels. I enjoyed some of the core combat setpieces. I think that the combat centers were often too discrete from the puzzle centers.

I do think in general mechanics, the combat is a clear step forward for the series. At least not counting the bosses, which weren't as formulaic as their predecessors, but also weren't charismatic or compelling fights imo, which plenty of classic Zelda bosses can claim to be.

-Town life was pretty weak, much like in other post-MM Zeldas. The villagers are charming to look at, to listen to, and are fairly well situated in their towns, but interaction with them is never very meaningful.

-Music was passable for a series with traditionally extraordinary OSTs. Compounded, imo, by them toying so much with "modern technology fantasy" and not (as far as I know) giving us music playing powers. Even Kass didn't play renditions of much of anything.

-Thematically, the game matches up very well to what the developers were trying to do with the series. The ruins of Hyrule. Zelda
unsure of her destiny and trying to do things another way
. The
late arrival of the tunic and Hylian shield
. The story
100 years ago being a failed version of the classic Zelda tale.
All of this fits very nicely with the rebuilding of Zelda from new roots but towards a Zelda-like end.
As do Zelda's final words.

-I think Zelda herself was a refreshing take on the Princess.

-I liked the core conceit of exploring a ruined Hyrule as a returning hero. I think the rest of the story was pretty forgettable. Ganon is fairly tapped out and hasn't had a good role since WW. His golden age was aLttP, OoT, and WW and Nintendo has yet to do something to match his pedigree. I'm really not sure where they can go with him, besides retread old ground, maybe with a fresh coat of paint. I, mean, that is what WW did, giving us more insight into what drove him in OoT.

-In a lot of ways, this game delivered where TP didn't, with respect to giving us those Ocarina moments made epic and large.

All in all, I liked the game a lot. I hope the series corrects a bit towards classic Zelda going forward, but I think, at this juncture, this was an important step forward for the series and it is to the future to sort out what to do in its wake. I don't get the impression that Nintendo is clueless in that regard at all, so my outlook on the series is positive.

I'll need to digest it more to see just how I feel about it with respect to the other games. Chances are it is high among them, I'm thinking. But not at the pinnacle.

So I think this balancing act should probably lead to a game with less or different traversal freedom than BotW, more tools/gadgets. more/stronger dungeons, possibly more linearity. Again, a aLttP like step.

Story wise, I want them to move on from Ganon again, or find a way to offer a fresh take on him again, like they have been able to with Zelda herself.

Haven't finished the game so I'm afraid to read the OP, but I want them to bring back the more vibrant towns and soundtracks of some of the better 3D titles. While the scheduling of the characters is impressive, on the whole they mostly look the same and don't have much interesting to say or have you do.

I listened to WW and TP soundtracks at work today and got kind of angry at the BotW music in comparison.

I'd love if they go Majora's Mask style and make a smaller, more personal game reusing a lot of assets and systems from Breath of the Wild. I don't need a bigger number of dungeons or strictly traditional dungeons, just make them more complex, more Naboris and less Ruta. Or go in a completely different direction with dungeons, that'd be cool too.

Give me a Majora's Mask style expansion pack/sequel with the same engine, tighter scope, top-quality dungeons, and a more experimental storyline.

Yes please!

Exquisik

I hope they stay with the open world and just make improvements on what they started with BOTW. This was Nintendo's first attempt at an open world game so I'm sure they could improve upon it.

Isn't XCX their first?

OT - didn't play the game yet, so can't really comment, but I'm really looking forward to it once I have the time to finish HZD.

kadotsu

Banned
I would like them to put some hard gating back into the design. I would love a second set of harder dungeons that open up after you meet some requirements. Nothing really hurts you after a certain point so a hard endgame (maybe for a true ending) would be very welcome.

Yeah I think a Majora's Mask type game using Breath of the Wild's engine would be awesome and a great use of resources. I'd want them to get dark and weird with it.

What I would like to see is a return to traditional dungeons and the traditional dungeon items. There's a way to do it and make it non-linear, too (not the ALBW way - item rental sucks). Give us basic runes at the beginning (bombs, cryonis, magnesis, stasis) and have every dungeon revolve around those basic runes and the item you get inside. That way you can do any dungeon in any order but they won't be one-item puzzles.

Also, for the next one, I wouldn't complain if they reeled the world in just a bit. Especially if they do something like MM.

gardfish

My big addition: UNDERWATER EXPLORATION

Seriously how cool would that be? The possibilities are endless.

Yeah, the lack of underwater gameplay really stuck out to me here, really made coming across Lake Hylia feel so anticlimactic. I really love the water dungeons in Zelda games (yes, really), and while the closest thing to a water dungeon in this game was okay, it didn't measure up to OoT's Water Temple or TP's Lakebed Temple.

Anth0ny

I could write a fucking essay on this topic. In short, they're on the right track. More dungeons, more melodic music.

Vidiot

Just had a big rant about this in the OT. Basically the dungeons and boss fights in BotW are, imho, some of the worse we've seen in the series. The dungeons are too small, similar in looks and objectives, and don't offer anywhere near the thrill of classic dungeons. While the boss fights all boiled down to a floating same looking monster with different element powers.

For how great the overworld was I feel the dungeons and boss fights were creatively bankrupt compared to past entries in the series.

120v

i'd like to see another top down zelda. maybe they can do something with that 8-bit BotW prototype they used.

because nintendo probably invested a lot in the BotW engine i expect a direct sequel like majora was to OoT

atr0cious

I love the game, but i feel after this, they should let go of the elf fantasy aesthetic. Seeing the brainstorm art they came up with really made me want a steam punk version of this. Turn the cooking system in to alchemy/engineering and double down on interactions in a smaller world with more npcs.

I really hope they can use these assets and make another Zelda game soon like Majora's Mask. Zelda needs to get off this late console cycle they've been in for the past few generations.

More enemy / miniboss variety and a focus on interior environments, whether those are dungeons or something different, like Hyrule Castle.

Otherwise, just expand on what makes BotW so great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would like them to put some hard gating back into the design. I would love a second set of harder dungeons that open up after you meet some requirements. Nothing really hurts you after a certain point so a hard endgame (maybe for a true ending) would be very welcome.
I agree with this.

Going with Link to the Past as an example, say they did the same thing in BotW. You beat the divine beasts, go to Hyrule Castle, beat the boss there, and then head to an inverted version of Hyrule with harder dungeons and enemies. It keeps the "do whatever you want" aspect but offers an increase in difficulty to keep the player feeling like they are progressing in the story and earning their way past "the gate."

They should bring back dungeons, but keep the concept of less hand holding. I want them hidden in the world where you have to piece together clues to even find them and integrating the map more(no objective markers and writing your own notes into the map would be cool). More like how they were in the first game, which they were supposedly trying to emulate

MoonFrog

Yeah. Might just be me over-addicted to the game, but I really could use a "second world" or second tier of content. Hoping the DLC sort of gives us that, but I'd like it in the base game.

Heck, they could still make it all optional, although I think Ganondorf really suffered from the optional design of dungeons in this game. Boss was pretty lame, imo, having done all 4 divine beasts.

Maybe have an extra boss if you do all the dungeons? Idk. But yeah, a aLttP step is what I want. And this is another face of this.

watershed

Banned
I don't think the developers struggled with how to include traditional Zelda elements. It seems clear based on what they have said that they intentionally abandoned many traditions and reinterpreted others.

This may be an unpopular opinion and unlikely to happen, but I'd like to see Zelda go on hiatus after this. I'd be fine without a new one for a good long while.

While I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild, I'd really be interested in seeing that same team work on something entirely new and fresh. There's so much creativity within the game, and a part of me feels a whole new universe would push that further.

Even with the open world and more interesting story premise in Breath of the Wild, I think Link, Ganon, Zelda, Hyrule, etc. are feeling a bit stale at this point.

Malus

This may be an unpopular opinion and unlikely to happen, but I'd like to see Zelda go on hiatus after this. I'd be fine without a new one for a good long while.

While I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild, I'd really be interested in seeing that same team work on something entirely new and fresh. There's so much creativity within the game, and a part of me feels a whole new universe would push that further.

Even with the open world and more interesting story premise in Breath of the Wild, I think Link, Ganon, Zelda, Hyrule, etc. are feeling a bit stale at this point.

With how long the dev time between installments is it feels like they go on hiatus after every game lol.

dickroach

A more linear and focused game with the physics and mechanics of BOTW

yessss

the gameplay/physics were cool. running around the world was cool. everything else I didn't like.
there were no big dungeons that you get lost in (sometimes literally) for hours. there were no memorable people, places, or music in this game. those are my favorite things about my favorite zelda games. BOTW was too big for its own good.

I don't think the developers struggled with how to include traditional Zelda elements. It seems clear based on what they have said that they intentionally abandoned many traditions and reinterpreted others.

Exactly. The next Zelda title isn't going to be a traditional, linear experience with some BotW elements thrown in. Certain people should get that out their heads right now.

yami4ct

Just give me a BotW style game with those mechanics and exploration, a slightly smaller world, but in exchange much more fleshed out and 'real' dungeons. The dungeons in BotW are by far the worst part of the game and let the rest down. I don't need traditional zelda progression, but the main dungeons need to be at least 2x the size they are in BotW.

balgajo

Better story

Better side quests

More dark stuff like Oot/MM. C'mon, I didn't find a fucking graveyard in the game. Lost woods is the only place on botw that evokes this sense of mystery that I love on Zelda games.

Increase enemies variety.

Traditional dungeons

Unbreakable weapons. This game took away my pleasure of opening chests.

Shrink the world in about half of botw size.

Art style more like OOT/MM/TP.

Remove climbing mechanic or give it near the end of the game. I broke a lot of designed levels because of it. For example, I finished that forest area from last year game awards from the back and didn't experienced the cool fights.

More caves. Actually I didn't see any cave in this game for now.

Hookshot.

Traditional tunic. Fuck it's a crime to think that Link's hat is uncool.

Botw is fucking good. For sure one of my favorite games of all time.

Edit: Almost forgot.

Diving/Iron boots
Fishing

My 3d Zelda rank now.

Oot > MM > Botw > Tp > Ss > Ww

Just had a big rant about this in the OT. Basically the dungeons and boss fights in BotW are, imho, some of the worse we've seen in the series. The dungeons are too small, similar in looks and objectives, and don't offer anywhere near the thrill of classic dungeons. While the boss fights all boiled down to a floating same looking monster with different element powers.

For how great the overworld was I feel the dungeons and boss fights were creatively bankrupt compared to past entries in the series.

More or less what I wanted to post. The too samey aesthetic carries to the shrines as well. There's obviously an in-text explanation for it, but they blur together. Moreover, I'd like dungeons you can wander into that aren't telegraphed.

I would like the next zelda to have deeper combat, an unforgettable story, an interesting, threatening villain, and for the world and the events occuring in it to be more optional and mysterious. Dont tell the player anything, and bury wonderful, hidden things in the game for them to find.

SolVanderlyn

I agree with this. It's clear that edging away from the classic formula and traditions was intentional. What I meant is that their re-interpretation succeeded in some places, while in others it didn't.

chozen

I thought I'd be getting this when I got my Wii U, and I still want this. If they did another BOTW improved upon with this style that would be all I could ask for.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cerium

I thought I'd be getting this when I got my Wii U, and I still want this. If they did another BOTW improved upon with this style that would be all I could ask for.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nah, I think with BOTW they finally found the art style that will stick. It's perfect. IMO.

Look at how much better Wind Waker has aged compared to Twilight Princess.

janoDX

I would go full Majora's on the core base, but make the game as big as BoTW, with an even more complex and darker story. Some crazy twist, and add more survival to the game.

The BOTW as it is right now is amazing and an example of how to make an open world, but in a couple years it will need a fix and doing a Majora's kind of sequel could help.

hao chi

Keep the world about the same size, if not smaller. I don't need a sequel where they boast about how the world is 3x bigger than the predecessor or anything like that. I loved exploring the world, but it was also very addicting for me, haha.

Increase enemy variety.

Add more enemies that are make for more engaging one-on-one encounters (think Lynels, but not necessarily as hard).

CHANGE LIZALFOS SO THEY DON'T JUST FUCKING RUN AWAY ALL THE TIME (though the same can also be said about the
Yiga
)

Add more dungeons. Personally, I would have loved it if there were three dungeons that were necessary to get the Master Sword, while still having the Master Sword be an optional item.

Add some sort of special critical on enemies that were parried (this might be in the game, but there didn't seem to be anything the few times I parried melee attacks)

Bring back Wallmasters. I miss them, and they haven't been in a new 3D Zelda since they stopped scaring the shit out of me as a kid.

With that being said, this is still one of the best games I've ever played. I hope they keep this formula going for at least one more Zelda but with some improvements here and there.

i'd like to see another top down zelda. maybe they can do something with that 8-bit BotW prototype they used.

because nintendo probably invested a lot in the BotW engine i expect a direct sequel like majora was to OoT

Aonuma did mention also making handheld-style Zelda games for Switch, so I'm sure we'll get another top down Zelda.

Nanashrew

Banned
Better story

Better side quests

More dark stuff like Oot/MM. C'mon, I didn't find a fucking graveyard in the game.

Increase enemies variety.

Traditional dungeons

Unbreakable weapons. This game took away my pleasure of opening chests.

Shrink the world in about half of botw size.

Art style more like OOT/MM/TP.

Remove climbing mechanic or give it near the end of the game. I broke a lot of designed levels because of it. For example, I finished that forest area from last year game awards from the back and didn't experienced the cool fights.

More caves. Actually I didn't see any cave in this game for now.

Hookshot.

Traditional tunic. Fuck it's a crime to think that Link's hat is uncool.

Botw is fucking good. For sure one of my favorite games of all time.

My 3d Zelda rank now.

Oot > MM > Botw > Tp > Ss > Ww

All those ruins are graveyards though when you think about it. There is a graveyard in Kakariko though and one of the kids in the village goes there every morning to cry because her mom died. That girl wants to be a chef when she grows up because she loved her mom's food.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nah, I think with BOTW they finally found the art style that will stick. It's perfect. IMO.

Yeah, it blends everything good about the 3D games into one style.

All I want in the next game are a few large dungeon areas, they can throw out the key/compass/map/item formula but I miss those huge temples. Some underwater sections would be good too.

Eh Hylian design could use work. I think it's actually my least favorite Link incarnation.

chozen

I don't think Nintendo ever wanted to "stick" with one art style.

The only reason why BOTW looks like this is because their consoles probably can't handle that realistic style with open world.

Top Bottom