• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it can do that. Forza 5 is 1080p @ 60fps. However, it may be the case that the added complexity of the system architecture and the memory set up on the XBO causes it to be much harder to get a game properly optimized, and so a game like CoD which is being made for a hundred systems and is rushing to meet a launch deadline would not have as much time to get things right as the developers at Turn 10 who had much more time with the system architecture.

But yeah, I don't believe anything until we get a second source or a more verified final "yes" or "no", but it is worrying. All these sources are harmonizing on this news...

Of course it can but how much are you willing to sacrifice for that resolution? Current images and videos of Forza 5 don't show huge improvements over Forza 4 in terms of graphical features and its got crazy huge aliasing issues when I last checked. That was the point I was making. You can crank up the eyecandy with most $200 cards, like the HD7850/7870, and still get pretty decent performance at native 1080P resolution.

I don't really believe this news but at the same time it doesn't really surprise me. Upclock or not, the HD7790 is really a pathetic and basically outdated GPU to be shoving into a 2013 console that is designed to last at least 5 years. Throw in the 32mb of embedded memory and you've got even more problems.

Amir0x

Banned
why do people act like this has anything to do with MS?

IF this is true, it would by default have a little to do with Microsoft. Likely the cause of this discrepancy would be the added complexity of the system hardware and the different memory set up, which causes games which have to hit short deadlines make sacrifices where on other platforms they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Again, IF it's true. Which, I don't know. I just think there's enough smoke now to discuss this,.

Gaz_RB

Because the PS4 version is running at 1080p and the XB1 version is allegedly running at 720. It'd be one thing if it was both at 720. It's on Microsoft if they built an underpowered machine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jesus man, you should have better standards. This is 2013 where all displays are TFT and 1920x1080 in resolution and basically any $200 GPU can run most games at that resolution @ 30 FPS smooth.

If the Xbox One seriously can't even do that, well...

well, you are right. especially a game like ghosts. it should be better. even on x1.

however, i'm someone who has a hard time seeing resolution differences, unless utterly side by side, which never happens in real gaming. knowing my console is putting out less pixels then the competition make my dick shrink a bit, but really, its almost a non-issue (for me - i know others are more eagle eyed). i'll be gaming either on a 37" 1080p set or a 50" 720p set for the record.

Mononoke

Banned

Because they chose lesser specs to focus on broadening their system to people beyond gaming? ie. They put less focus on the gaming side of what used to be a game machine. I'm not saying MS is actually to blame for this specific thing (if it ends up being true). But I think some gamers will be upset with MS for making certain design decisions that have made it harder for IW to get 1080p on Xbone (of course, this is assuming the rumor is true that it's 720p and if PS4 ends up being 1080p).

UNCMark

Banned
From Eurogamer months ago:

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 1080p resolution on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, Infinity Ward has said.

Perhaps something went terribly wrong?

BXN7cvNIUAExyKC.jpg

im ready

Someone at Infinity Ward needs to speak up. I don't believe it, but the hints are definitely strong.

If it's true they won't. They will say they are still tweaking the game even if it's gone gold.

All this hoopla before either system even comes out shows what a bunch of wild dogs we are.

Requiem

Are people really considering canceling their pre-order because of the resolution of one game? And Call of Duty no less...

No, I can't see if this is really Xbox One footage. Could simply be using the controller prompts and running off a PC. I don't have time to watch the entire video, but does something in this indicate otherwise?

If the 720p rumor were false then someone would have chimed in and corrected gaf or at least tweeted about it.

The unwritten law is that if a rumor reaches 10 pages within the hour without having been addressed, the rumor is true.

Row

Banned
would certainly be interesting if this were the case, but I can't see the devs doing anything but trying to keep the versions as similar as possible

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I've never actually read that XB1 reddit properly before...

It's like a salt mine. o_O

Salt mine?

It's a salt raft floating on a saline sea spanning a chloride planet under a sodium sun is what it is!

Weaker hardware and hardware that seems to be more difficult to develop for than the PS4? It's all their fault. Every single bit of it. They made the hardware choices and even admitted that they didn't target powerful hardware.

They should just call the xbone the xbox720 if this 720p thing is true.

Paz

The CoD rumor is not unbelievable but you really shouldn't take these things as fact. The OS rumor is a lot scarier (& Less believable).

Literally nothing has changed from this morning other than two people getting unconfirmed information though, try and keep things in perspective because you never know how these things will pan out.

Amir0x

Banned
If the 720p rumor were false then someone would have chimed in and corrected gaf or at least tweeted about it.

The unwritten law is that if a rumor reaches 10 pages within the hour without having been addressed, the rumor is true.

While I suspect your 'unwritten law' has hints of truth, I am still going to choose not to believe this one way or the other until I get a better confirmation ;)

Vizzeh

Banned
For anyone catching up.

Looking for another source before I break neogaf.

I just can't say anything and finding another source in NDA-city is nigh impossible. I will fall on the sword of this one and say I'm awful for the tease and if a ban is needed to teach me/other potential teasers a lesson I totally get that.

720p? For real? Maybe that guy who said they were running at 15fps when they initially got the engine up and running was for real...
This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.

720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p
720p

MS dun goofed :/

Are people really considering canceling their pre-order because of the resolution of one game? And Call of Duty no less...

Call of Duty is a pretty low tier game, when it comes to graphics. It's always been about smooth framerate and if the resolution had to drop to get that, on the console where the DLC deals are, no less, then it's worrying but not just for CoD, for other games going forward.

big_z

A vast majority of people won't give a shit if it turns out to be 720p.

The bigger concern is the future. When we start seeing ps4 games run at sub-720p what's the xbone version going to run at?

Gaz_RB

since I've been on GAF, this law has never failed me. Developers and publishers don't let fake rumors like this run rampant. Look to how Sony acted around the Driveclub rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom