• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War III: Sony's first jab at Microsoft: "Jump Out", "Yoga Isn't Gaming"

TheOddOne

This isn't debate and there is no substance; this is smack-talking. Sony might as well be saying "Hey Microsoft, yo momma so ugly she made medusa turn 2 stone". There's no need to intellectualize this, there's no philosophy of game design being discussed here. And it's not cherry picking--Sony's entire tenure in the video game market they've been saying this kind of braggadaccio stuff. The substance is context-dependent, but all falls under "What we're about to do is awesome, our competitors suck, QED"
I have no idea why, but that just killed me.

conan-rofl.gif

yurinka

I'm sorry but when did Kinect become 80% of the Xbox's lineup? Move has pretty much the same amount of shovelware for it as Kinect does.
Yep, Move also has shovelware like any other platform but in addition to this do AAA games like Killzone 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Little Big Planet 2, Heavy Rain or Resident Evil 5 support Kinect?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yep, Move also has shovelware like any other platform but do AAA games like Killzone 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Little Big Planet 2, Heavy Rain or Resident Evil 5 support Kinect?

Strawman, this discussion has nothing to do with AAA Kinect support but how many Kinect only games compromise Xbox's lineup.

Derrick01

Banned
Nor should they. Motion controls dilute the gaming experience.

While I agree, people never seem to stop praising just how much better Move makes Killzone, RE5 and Heavy Rain. Although IMO the latter 2 are only improved so much because their basic controls are so fucking shitty compared to other games. I mean you have to walk in Heavy Rain by holding the trigger down or some stupid shit.

davious88

Banned
This isn't debate and there is no substance; this is smack-talking. Sony might as well be saying "Hey Microsoft, yo momma so ugly she made medusa turn 2 stone". There's no need to intellectualize this, there's no philosophy of game design being discussed here. And it's not cherry picking--Sony's entire tenure in the video game market they've been saying this kind of braggadaccio stuff. The substance is context-dependent, but all falls under "What we're about to do is awesome, our competitors suck, QED"

Did you even see which post I quoted?

rdrr gnr

While I agree, people never seem to Stop praising just how much better Move makes Killzone, RE5 and Heavy Rain. Although IMO the thatter 2 are only improved so much because their basic controls are so fucking shitty compared to other games. I mean you have to walk in Heavy Rain by holding the trigger down or some stupid shit.
That was a good design choice in HR. It was deliberate. There is a video out there somewhere explaining it. Are you also one of the people who didn't like that you had to contort your fingers to match all the QTEs?

Derrick01

Banned
That was a good design choice in HR. It was deliberate. There is a video out there somewhere explaining it. Are you also one of the people who didn't like that you had to contort your fingers to match all the QTEs?

Nope, I have long and flexible fingers and relatively big hands in general. But putting the walking on anything but the stick was a horrible decision. Cage probably thought he had some grand artistic vision behind it like he seems to with everything he does, but much like how he handled HR's script, that doesn't mean it's not a horrible idea

While I agree, people never seem to stop praising just how much better Move makes Killzone, RE5 and Heavy Rain. Although IMO the latter 2 are only improved so much because their basic controls are so fucking shitty compared to other games. I mean you have to walk in Heavy Rain by holding the trigger down or some stupid shit.

Indeed. I have actually played Killzone 3 with move and while I do admit it makes aiming easier (this is mainly due to the game feeling very laggy using a DS3), it's still not as accurate or as responsive as the mouse it is attempting to replicate. It's a novel idea, but one that's extremely limited and serves no purpose to gaming outside of providing a novel, but ultimately useless control option.

How so?

Makes no sense.

See above.

yurinka

FordGTGuy

Banned
Obviously not. I asked if Kinect also supports high quality AAA traditional hardcore games like Move does. All platforms have shovelware.

I'm glad I misread that because.... wow...

Yes it does Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Forza Motorsport and Mass Effect to name a few.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cool, some good ol' fashioned shit-talking. Bring on the glory days of Sega Genesis versus SNES/NES.

Tell me about! I used to love when companies like Coke ad Pepsi mocked each other in their ads, and Sony had a few really good jabs at Saturn and Nintendo back in the PSone days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did you even see which post I quoted?

?? Yes? It's a guy posting a list of Sony bragging quotes and then saying "Welcome Back, Sony" as in "I see you're still pulling the same ego-trip smack-talk stuff you did before you got your butt handed to you and went humble for a few years". You described it as cherry picking.

Orca

This thread made me wonder - what are the last four new IP Sony brought out? I checked the list of games they publish, but I'm not sure what's their IP and what isn't without doing more work than idle speculation seemed to warrant.

It's really important if you believe that older people can have as many system as they like, and comparing to cars, 400$ to 40.000$. Pretty much the same.

You are missing the point of the original argument and you are veering away from the discussion at hand. My analogy had nothing to do with the value of automobiles vs gaming consoles, handhelds and PCs in dollars. It basically was pointing out the redundancy of owning many versions of a material good that basically serves the same purpose as an object. (If you can get your gaming kicks from a Wii a gaming PC, and say an iOS or an android device... Do you really need to own the rest of the hardware in gaming to be not deemed as a fanboy?)

Now if you were a hard core enthusiast and a collector you may own many cars, or motorcycles or stamps for that matter, but let us not lose focus here by comparing the dollar value of cars vs. motorbikes vs stamps.

To bring you back to what I was arguing against was that the poster who was arguing the juvenile aspects of fanboyism. In his words, in his opinion: Fanboyism only exists because said gamers are young, immature, poor and they do not have enough allowance, or pocket money to purchase (again in his words) "A PS3, Xbox 360, A Wii (U)...A gaming PC, a Vita and a 3DS." (I think that was all of them) yes! that's what he said if you bother to go back a few pages and look for his post...

I mean, if you cannot see the ludicrous world view of that statement, then maybe we can stop this discussion right here, as I wont need to waste further of my time with you.

Not every responsible adult who is passionate about video gaming and is well off financially has any interest in owning every single gaming hardware that is out there right now, to say otherwise is just plain stupid.

Now, I understand this is Gaming Age Forum, where most likely there are people here that are equally passionate about gaming as say Jay Leno is to classic cars. This is the Mecca, no doubt, and I am sure there are some crazy gaming hardware enthusiast here who own everything. But that does not represent your average gamer of even GAFer, does it?

And it definitely has nothing to do with the term fanboism, does it? could you not be an adult with a high paying job and own everything and still be loyal to certain corporation? (gaming console?hardware) Yes or no? that was all I was arguing against.

This thread made me wonder - what are the last four new IP Sony brought out? I checked the list of games they publish, but I'm not sure what's their IP and what isn't without doing more work than idle speculation seemed to warrant.

Retail?

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal
Book of Spells
Sorcery

Not sure what other new IP they released at retail.

yurinka

I'm glad I misread that because.... wow...

Yes it does Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Forza Motorsport and Mass Effect to name a few.
Voice commands that can be done with any mic as a lot of other games proved aren't motion gaming. Instead, Forza would be a good example since it uses motion gaming for the main gameplay.

Valkyria

Banned
You are missing the point of the original argument and you are veering away from the discussion at hand. My analogy had nothing to do with the value of automobiles vs gaming consoles, handhelds and PCs in dollars. It basically was pointing out the redundancy of owning many versions of a material good that basically serves the same purpose as an object. (If you can get your gaming kicks from a Wii a gaming PC, and say an iOS or an android device... Do you really need to own the rest of the hardware in gaming to be not deemed as a fanboy?)

Now if you were a hard core enthusiast and a collector you may own many cars, or motorcycles or stamps for that matter, but let us not lose focus here by comparing the dollar value of cars vs. motorbikes vs stamps.

To bring you back to what I was arguing against was that the poster who was arguing the juvenile aspects of fanboyism. In his words, in his opinion: Fanboyism only exists because said gamers are young, immature, poor and they do not have enough allowance, or pocket money to purchase (again in his words) "A PS3, Xbox 360, A Wii (U)...A gaming PC, a Vita and a 3DS." (I think that was all of them) yes! that's what he said if you bother to go back a few pages and look for his post...

I mean, if you cannot see the ludicrous world view of that statement, then maybe we can stop this discussion right here, as I wont need to waste further of my time with you.

Not every responsible adult who is passionate about video gaming and is well off financially has any interest in owning every single gaming hardware that is out there right now, to say otherwise is just plain stupid.

Now, I understand this is Gaming Age Forum, where most likely there are people here that are equally passionate about gaming as say Jay Leno is to classic cars. This is the Mecca, no doubt, and I am sure there are some crazy gaming hardware enthusiast here who own everything. But that does not represent your average gamer of even GAFer, does it?

And it definitely has nothing to do with the term fanboism, does it? could you not be an adult with a high paying job and own everything and still be loyal to certain corporation? (gaming console?hardware) Yes or no? that was all I was arguing against.

My point is that you can be a family man and get all the console, and even not being on the internet.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Voice commands that can be done with any mic as a lot of other games proved aren't motion gaming. Instead, Forza would be a good example since it uses motion gaming for the main gameplay.

Kinect actually takes part in interpreting the voice commands so no, not every mic would work.

While voice commands can be done via any mic, they always fail to be as well implemented as they are with Kinect. This is evidenced by how poorly implemented and executed the voice commands were in Binary Domain.,

The reason why voice commands work so well with those games using Kinect is due to the excellent SDK microsoft provide to developers.

Wii Fit series sells 45 million copies, Sony spits on exercise game category they started. Smart.

EyeToy_Kinetic.jpg

I seriously doubt that Sony is going to shun casual gaming. More likely they are just taking advantage of the obnoxious stupidity of a specific niche of their consumers who need to feel like their tastes are superior.

While voice commands can be done via any mic, they always fail to be as well implemented as they are with Kinect. This is evidenced by how poorly implemented and executed the voice commands were in Binary Domain.,

The reason why voice commands work so well with those games using Kinect is due to the excellent SDK microsoft provide to developers.

One bad example doesn't really mean much.

They worked fine for End War, and that RainbowSix game.

The S in SDK is the keyword here. It can be done without Kinect just fine.

They worked fine for End War, and that Rainbow Six game.

I've yet to play either, so I will have to take your word for it. The fact does still remain though, kinect and the SDK offered by Microsoft does make implementing voice commands a much easier process than it would otherwise be.

I've yet to play either, so I will have to take your word for it. The fact does still remain though, kinect and the SDK offered by Microsoft does make implementing voice commands a much easier process than it would otherwise be.

Easier, yes, better, maybe not. End War has a much more impressive Voice Recognition system then everything I've seen on Kinect so far.

You can play the entire game with voice commands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlKA5LjApI#t=2m20s

FordGTGuy

Banned

They worked fine for End War, and that RainbowSix game.

The S in SDK is the keyword here. It can be done without Kinect just fine.

Voice controls on End War were a joke and RainbowSix was very limited.

Easier, yes, better, maybe not. End War has a much more impressive Voice Recognition system then everything I've seen on Kinect so far.

Clearly you've never sat down to play EndWar with voice commands, terrible experience. Kinect's voice commands might not be great but they are no where near as bad as End War's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzubVa9QC8

artist

Banned
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"
- Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, responding to the outcry over Sony's DRM Rootkit spyware uncovered on its music CDs

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
- Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth. With the DS , it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen. But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, on comparing PSP to DS in an interview with MCV

"It’s probably too cheap…"
– Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point

"(the PS3) is not a game machine…"
- Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the machine’s beefy hardware architecture

"The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we (Sony) can grow the industry."
– Ken Kutaragi, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"…for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
– Ken Kutaragi, explaining their marketing goals for the PS3

"We do not care."
– Kaz Hirai, current President of Computer Entertainment, regarding competition from Microsoft and Nintendo

"I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto... I don't think it (losing Grand Theft Auto would) hurts us. No, I really don't."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."
- Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."
- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO

"Microsoft does not concern us. Microsoft is not a technology company."
- Nobuyuki Idei, Sony chief corporate adviser in an interview with BBC NEWS

"A bit pricey."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, speaking about Nintendo Wii in an interview with the age.com.au

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this (Christmas)."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, regarding the launch of Nintendo Wii

"Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out."
- Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Australia in an interview with the age.com.au

"There’s this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true... Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent."
- Phil Harrison, regarding the wholesale cost of the system’s Blu-ray player

"Nobody will ever use 100% of PS3's capability"
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios speaking with MTV news.

"The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, in an interview with GameSpot

"I have no concerns about the competition."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Worldwide Studios speaking at the Game Developer Conference

"I don’t think we’re arrogant."
– Phil Harrison, regarding consumer perception of Sony

"We're certainly not interested in Gimmicks."
- Kaz Hirai0 E32k6, right before showing off Eye of Judgement.

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokemon."
- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

"But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick."
- Sony executive Phil Harrison cuts to the chase with his incisive analysis of the Nintendo DS in gaming paper MCV.

"Consider the US with its massive land and cheap people. Then you look at the UK - a little island where rent and rates are at an absolute premium, and the cost of people is a lot more."
- Sony's take on the consumers, as told by UK Managing Director Ray

---------------------------------------

Welcome back, Sony.
Best part is half of those quotes are from a guy currently at MS
lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe230umr.gif

Backfire. :lol

FordGTGuy

Banned
You guys do realize that no one is going to bad mouth their own company when it comes to PR, they always stretch and twist the truth or just straight lie to make their own company and product look better.

Clearly you've never sat down to play EndWar with voice commands, terrible experience. Kinect's voice commands might not be great but they are no where near as bad as End War's.

Now that's just absolute bullshit, on both accounts.

Voice controls on End War were a joke and RainbowSix was very limited.

Depends on what your definition of limited is. What Kinect game has a less limited voice control?

End War recognizes phrases up to 5 words and does it well. All I've seen in Kinect games is like 3 max.

Midou

You guys do realize that no one is going to bad mouth their own company when it comes to PR, they always stretch and twist the truth or just straight lie to make their own company and product look better.

Yes. Everyone does this. You see it on half the commercials on TV "Our dish soap is 15% more soap than the leading brand" and you can always tell who they mean cause "leading brand" uses same colour scheme as some popular product.

Reggie just did this shit a few months ago when he said Wii U versions of multiplats are vastly superior when most of them were WORSE than a console that came out in 2005.

That doesn't look particularly impressive to me and I'm not seeing anything that's better than how voice commands work with Kinect.

using voice commands in Skyrim for example works wonderfully, the voice commands in Dead Space 3 are also very well implemented. Both of these games use voice commands to complement the gameplay, which is by far the most important aspect of voice commands.

Pretty sure they aren't condemning all of casual gaming with that yoga line, but pointing out and criticizing ms' heavy push toward the casual market lately, as sort of a way to say "hey don't forget about your hardcore users who you built your brand on. We will nurture ours."

Seriously not getting what all the fuss is about. I feel like this is Sega ads in GamePro magazines days again. Love it.

Really? A parody review? Yep I'm gonna take that ultra seriously!

And they worked just fine for me. And how about you the video I posted with a guy that doesn't even have a very good English accent?

That doesn't look particularly impressive to me and I'm not seeing anything that's better than how voice commands work with Kinect.

using voice commands in Skyrim for example works wonderfully, the voice commands in Dead Space 3 are also very well implemented.

Both of these games use voice commands to complement the gameplay, which is by far the most important aspect of voice commands.

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion though isn't it? How they're implemented is up to the developers, not the technology.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Really? A parody review? Yep I'm gonna take that ultra seriously!

And they worked just fine for me. And how about you the video I posted with a guy that doesn't even have a very good English accent?

I'm glad you have a good experience with them but for me they were complete crap, I felt like I was trying to tell the kid from Mercury Rising how to command my troops.

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion though isn't it? How they're implemented is up to the developers, not the technology.

The technology is what allows it to work as good as it does....

shinnn

Now that's just absolute bullshit, on both accounts.

Depends on what your definition of limited is. What Kinect game has a less limited voice control?

End War recognizes phrases up to 5 words and does it well. All I've seen in Kinect games is like 3 max.
What games did you played with Kinect voice recognition?

Top Bottom