• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Surfinn

Always found Emilia Clarke to be an extremely poor actress. Otherwise, the cast is serviceable, certainly elevated by Harrelson and Newton.

I think she's great in GoT, when she's not yelling or angry. She doesn't convey that emotion well.

I've already decided when Disney laid out their aggressive schedule that I'm not going to see every one of these in theaters, that would be ludicrous. Skipping this one seems like a good opportunity as any, as I have zero interest in watching Cosplay Han Solo and the story that was so interesting they failed to mention it across four movies starring Han Solo.

I don't get how people can even decide if they're gunna see a movie or not literally before they even see what that movie is.

Arkeband

Banned
You guys need to stop talking shit like you all won't be there on a Thursday or Friday night opening week showing.

Stahp.

I’ve already decided when Disney laid out their aggressive schedule that I’m not going to see every one of these in theaters, that would be ludicrous. Skipping this one seems like a good opportunity as any, as I have zero interest in watching Cosplay Han Solo and the story that was so interesting they failed to mention it across four movies starring Han Solo.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Almost exactly what I expected, if a little unadventurous.

I've already decided when Disney laid out their aggressive schedule that I'm not going to see every one of these in theaters, that would be ludicrous. Skipping this one seems like a good opportunity as any, as I have zero interest in watching Cosplay Han Solo and the story that was so interesting they failed to mention it across four movies starring Han Solo.

Is one movie a year really that aggressive in this day and age?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So Lando will show up sometime during ep 8 and recount a story after he hears that Han's been killed and that will be the story of SOLO!

BDW already gearing up for some awesome cameo
giphy.gif

Blader

A lot of them referred to it as "Episode VII" or just "Star Wars". People still refer to The Last Jedi as "Episode VIII".

"A Star Wars Story" is just an ugly and clunky addition four times as long as the real title here.

And people will just refer to this as Solo.

Problem solved

Blader

Curious about how they're going to market this. They're not going to drop a trailer anytime soon because they'll be pushing TLJ for the next 2-3 months. But then we're in Jan/Feb, at which point the movie is only 3-4 months away. And Disney/LFL seems to use the spring to promote the last movie's home video release, which is exactly when they'd need to be ramping up the Solo marketing.

I know a lot of people think they're just going to push this to December like every other recent SW movie, but I feel like it's getting pretty late to announce a 7-month delay and there may be merch deals in place to ensure that the movie is out in May anyway.

Maybe we should see if it's good first?
Quality has no bearing on the necessity or want.

But it's another prequel based around a completed character who has been played by the same actor for 40 years. It's gone through how many revisions and director changes? I'd be surprised if it's good to general critics let alone OT fans. It's certainly going to be the first Star Wars film in my lifetime that I don't see in theaters.

I have never understood this mentality.

What, exactly, makes a movie necessary or unnecessary?
Generally if something is a prequel it's unnecessary. It makes telling a good story magnitudes more diffulct as being a prequel places such massive restrictions, expectations, and certain levels of disillusion.

Rogue One was only good because it excelled in the spectacle. The Battle of Scarif was one of the best space battles in sci-fi and it helped that it used unknown characters.

This is a movie about Han Solo. We know what happens to Han Solo.

Davide

Curious about how they're going to market this. They're not going to drop a trailer anytime soon because they'll be pushing TLJ for the next 2-3 months.
Word is there might be a trailer as soon as November actually. I'm assuming with Thor: Ragnorak.

Ristifer

The circle jerk of negativity in this thread is just so stupid lmao.
Pretty much. "Oh, but Lord and Miller..." Which never guaranteed a spectacular movie in the first place. People act as if it had already claimed the throne of SW movies before they were cut loose. Now it's a pile of dog turds.

It's a little ridiculous.

Davide

How much of the movie did Ron Howard end up directing? I thought it was only 3 weeks worth of reshoots?

More like three months.

Unpopular opinion: an Obi-Wan movie in-between III and IV would be more useless and unnecessary than a Han Solo movie. People want it mainly for more Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan I guess.

The circle jerk of negativity in this thread is just so stupid lmao.

In fairness Star Wars has a horrible track record with prequel material and despite everything the prequels "ruined" (depending on personal preference of course) the only beloved character to come out unscathed was Han Solo.

Add that to the much publicised production troubles and the cynicism makes sense. Hopefully the film will be decent regardless.

Blader

How much of the movie did Ron Howard end up directing? I thought it was only 3 weeks worth of reshoots?

Several months. I think he started in June/July and just wrapped shooting a week or two ago. At the very least he will have needed to contribute over 50 percent of the final film to be credited as director I think?

Unpopular opinion: an Obi-Wan movie in-between III and IV would be more useless and unnecessary than a Han Solo movie.

I agree. Not that I'm not interested, but I don't know what of value there is to add to Obi-Wan's hermit story.

Surfinn

In fairness Star Wars has a horrible track record with prequel material and despite everything the prequels "ruined" (depending on personal preference of course) the only beloved character to come out unscathed was Han Solo.

Add that to the much publicised production troubles and the cynicism makes sense. Hopefully the film will be decent regardless.
Since Ron Howard joined up, things have been looking up, with the stuff he's posted online anyway.

I'd also say that any comparison to the PT is pretty irrelevant

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
At first I was hesitant about a Han Solo movie but now I'll gladly accept all Star Wars material. The more the merrier, I really don't mind.

Fisty

Remember when George Lucas and Ron Howard made a movie together? Even George wouldn't let him at Star Wars lol

Why are they going with a May release with this one? They're setting December up to be Star Wars month, just like November is Call of Duty month in video games. It makes no sense to deviate from that.

Surfinn

Why are they going with a May release with this one? They're setting December up to be Star Wars month, just like November is Call of Duty month in video games. It makes no sense to deviate from that.

I don't get what sense it makes to do May when EP9 is releasing in December anyway.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe they can start establishing May as the month for side stories instead of mainline films?

Top Bottom