• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Symphonic

Facebook's Instagram acquisition was extremely harmless. What acquisition are people so skeptical of that they're sure this one is going to be shit?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sooooo what exactly happens to everyone's Rifts that they Kickstarted for? They are absolutely entitled to ask for a refund if worst comes to the worst. That's assuming the original version is never going to come out anymore and that people are going to drop development for it like a rock.

Nydius

Positives of Facebook entering into VR race:
- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables

Facebook as a company might sound rich right now but their core model is still based on a rapidly outdated data selling and targeted advertising revenue model. They're constantly having to look for ways to monetize and investors still aren't convinced on Facebook's valuation over the long term.

Facebook is one pin prick away from a complete financial crash. All this money they've been throwing around for things like Whatsapp and Oculus is coming straight out of the warchest they should be saving. There's no way they're going to be able to devote "infinite", or even Microsoft-level, type of money to Oculus.

I'm sure the guys at Oculus are devastated.

uDiNU.gif

Dolls_Laughing.gif

StevieP

Banned
Seeing asshat comments like this makes me lose any sympathy for what this situation could potentially mean to people like yourself, and makes me laugh instead. Now that (in your opinion) your own little bubble has popped you can't help but take a swipe as Sony. Pathetic.

Still, I'm not really sure what this'll mean for VR. Sure there'll be more money involved in getting the Occulus completed, but surely this will somewhat dilute the initial intentions behind the device.

What he said may have had a tone that you may not have liked, but the fact that the PS4 is what's running Morpheus instead of the PS5 means the experience will be compromised in comparison (just as its lower quality output of the device itself, judging by the hands on).

JoeInky

So OR was funded by crowdfunding and now the creators are laughing their way to the bank with a cool $2Bn?

Is that what I'm supposed to gleam from this?

So my friend just texted me to tell me to look at gaf.

This thread is clearly why.

I then called him and am basically at this point now....

Glass-Case-of-emotion.png

Jarmel

Banned
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This is yet another sign that this current VR hype-bubble is going to burst. Because IT WILL BURST.

This is the mid nineties all over again, I tell you.

Salsa

wait.........

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776513

Demos

Valve ran me through a series of 15 short little demos. None of them were even remotely close to a “game”, and existed mostly as visual experiences. I’ll try to recall as many as I can.

- The first demo stuck me in a simple room, whose walls were textured with financial data for Facebook from some website. An odd choice, yeah.

it all makes sense now

Zomba13

I see this as extremely good news.

- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables (With infinite budget comes infinite strings and conditions from big bosses)
- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR (How? Yeah smaller games would find a bigger audience if facebook hosts those games but how would facebook owning Oculus get more devs interested than before they owned it? Wishing for a magical VR games room on facebook.com?)
- VR promotion on Facebook.com = MILLIONS of VR adopters on day 1 (I think you're a bit optimistic there. And when I say bit I mean very.
- More VR users of all kinds = more AAA games for us PC gamers (It could lead to more VR users if we get more VR options (not just games) but I don't see how that leads to more AAA games coming to PC)
- Immediate infusion of entertainment/documentary/travel content (...OK. Does FB have that stuff normally and wont we need VR documentaries first and travel content first? Where are FBs plans for this stuff?
- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse. (Oh, I see. You have an inside source at FB and their future VRFB plans.)
- with stylized design, VR metaverse could be run even from iOS/Android phones (insider source again)
- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99 (True. They can surely take a big ass loss on high hardware. This really is a positive)
- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined patch toward porting games to PS4 (If FB craft Oculus into a super duper well selling thing yeah. Sony seem interested in VR already though with Morpheus. That could end up coming to PC/PS4 and being a huge hit on its own though)

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that]. (FB say they aren't interested in messing with it but companies say that all the time and start with subtle changes that escalate and then change the whole direction of things. I don't think FB is any different.)

This is good news for VR.

A lot of the pros seem like a wishlist and not seeing any negatives just shows you are willingly avoiding them, especially when making up unannounced pros.

zhorkat

Yeah no. Have you already seen real gamers games on Androïd or SmartPhones?
Always expect the worst and developers catering to the lowest common denominator.
Facebook = Quick/Easy money in publishers mind. You'll see more Farmville VR or The Sims VR than Skyrim VR.
Plus do you need a powerful PC to run it or is it included in the headset?

Why would orienting a device around playing The Sims in VR make it a bad device for playing Skyrim in VR?

So OR was funded by crowdfunding and now the creators are laughing their way to the bank with a cool $2Bn?

Is that what I'm supposed to gleam from this?

Pretty much.

The Rift's future just got really hazy, and it's probably not gonna be what people donated money to have made.

AmyS

We've long been wondering who would be the next major player to enter the game industry outside of mobile devices.

Google, Apple, Amazon

Aaaand now we know

wish it wasn't so :(((

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yeah no. Have you already seen real gamers games on Androïd or SmartPhones?
Always expect the worst and developers catering to the lowest common denominator.
Facebook = Quick/Easy money in publishers mind. You'll see more Farmville VR or The Sims VR than Skyrim VR.
Plus do you need a powerful PC to run it or is it included in the headset?

potential.

scitek

This is how I see it. The rift will still just be a display device, there's really no need to panic. It'll still work with PCs. It'll still be used by a plethora of developers. I think Zuckerberg sees this as the next television.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All seven stages of grief on full display already, I love it!

Let's face it, Facebook does not cater to the hardcore. Oculus was supposed to be exclusively for the hardcore.
This acquisition is not a good thing for anyone interested in VR gaming.

Palmer and crew are simply cashing out big. It's the safe play, dude is set for life.

jaaz

Many of you defenders forget FB is a public company now. They cannot drop 2 billion without answering to millions of shareholders. This acquisition MUST naturally increase the number of regular FB users and if you think that's going to happen by leaving Oculus to make VR hardware for games targeted at high-end PC users with dual Titans that number .01% of the general population, you are dreaming. FB will be integrated into every aspect of Oculus and it's main target will be the lower end of the PC and tablet market segment. So if that still interest you, better sign up for your FB accounts now, because almost assuredly you will need one soon to even buy and use the Rift.

If anything doesn't this given Morpheus MORE reason to fear the Rift? Which has more money behind it now?

All seven stages of grief on full display already, I love it!

Let's face it, Facebook does not cater to the hardcore. Oculus was supposed to be exclusively for the hardcore.
This acquisition is not a good thing for anyone interested in VR gaming.

Palmer and crew are simply cashing out big. It's the safe play, dude is set for life.

This was never the case.

Now when I stalk peoples facebook pictures it'll actually be like I'm stalking them in real life! Fantastic!

Oh well, hello morpheus. There's always MySpace.

TomShoe

Banned
I see this as extremely good news.

- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables
- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR
- VR promotion on Facebook.com = MILLIONS of VR adopters on day 1
- More VR users of all kinds = more AAA games for us PC gamers
- Immediate infusion of entertainment/documentary/travel content
- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse.
- with stylized design, VR metaverse could be run even from iOS/Android phones
- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99
- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined path toward porting games to PS4

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that].

This is good news for VR.

tumblr_mg16xqyNz21qa1kkvo1_500.gif

Can't blame Oculus. It's a smart business decision.

They've been trying hard to make VR mainstream and Sony coming out with their own VR made them realize they are going to be redundant once big corporations start taking charge.

Might as well cash in before the company goes under.

Septimius

Cross-posting this from the OT thread:

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what a business acquisition is going on here. I'm assuming when it says that Facebook is acquiring Oculus, it means Facebook will be holding a majority share of Oculus. When you say "oh, wow, they're rich now, good job", you don't really get what this is about. Why would the bleeding VR hearts and the guys with proper passion for VR sell their share now, and go "oh, fuck you all, I have money now!" and drop their life-long vision of creating VR?

Very little is said on how this acquisition will take place. If it's a complete take-over, I'd be really surprised. It would mean that the share of Oculus people owned would be converted to Facebook stocks. Thinking that Facebook has anywhere near as huge of an upside as Oculus does is ludicrous. However, the upside is part of the evaluation. The evaluation is fucking enormous, so I guess Oculus sees this as perhaps not the complete upside, but also exactly what the company needs to reach that upside. But, this is not Facebook buying out the people that are working there. This is a huge resource infusion for the company. The 2 billion dollars does not go to the stakeholders in more than exactly what is was before, as a part of the company. If you wish to sell your part of your company, that's your prerogative, but you don't get to keep your part and get money at the same time. The resources then go into the company, and will now give Oculus probably 50 times more resources to fiddle with. They will be able to move into a proper production facility, drive the costs down by a huge amount, and get more people the consumer version a lot faster. We won't have to sit around for months waiting for our kits to arrive, like we did with DK1 and now DK2.

This is a huge opportunity for Oculus. They can essentially focus on exactly what they wish their vision to be, and not have to struggle to make ends meet. Facebook will likely push to get a big, new team going to push for social media advances with VR. Perhaps some new interactive VR world? I don't know what Zuckerberg envisions. But the core team can do whatever they want. Facebook knows that they can't just come in and shift the focus of the existing team. However, they're free to put a new team next to that that works on utilizing the VR. That has nothing to do with building the tech, which will remain its own team, which will continue doing exactly what it does, only more effectively. Especially and at least in terms of production. The amount of R&D they're at liberty to do, now, the ways they can make the unit more affordable to the consumer. All of this is a huge advent of VR. This will push what you're all oozing in your pants to get your hands on; a proper, integrated VR experience with all the haptic feedback and stuff you've only dreamed would one day be a part of this.

And now that Facebook enables that, you all go "preorder cancelled"? That's not what's going on.

Cipherr

But Oculus Rift is just the headset. What they're talking about here amounts to live 3D interactive captures of an environment. That's completely independent from the tool used to display it.

What they're talking about is fantastic, and very very exciting, and not what Oculus Rift is.

Yep, I personally see it as Gaming becoming just a small portion of what they will be aimed at instead of its primary focus.

Does this apply to Google and their purchase of Android as well? Google's primary source of doing business was ads via search engine. With Android they stepped beyond their primary business role to new ones. Why is the idea of facebook doing the same any different?

Its NOT any different. Don't tell me you haven't noticed the tons of people who don't like or use Android because they find Google creepy... Because they do exist, right here on GAF even. The response to this is no different.

Top Bottom