• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U One Year Later: OS, Games, Network, Virtual Console, etc

We are coming up on the 1-Year Anniversary of Nintendo's Wii U console. I don't think anyone will argue that it had a bumpy start, but from the looks of things the XBOX One and the PS4 will coming in hot as well.

I just purchased a Wii U yesterday hoping that after a year Nintendo has fixed many of the issues that plagued it at launch. Let's hind out.

The main complaints at launch were:
  • Very Slow OS
  • Nintendo Network IDs were a joke and locked content and useres to hardware
  • Lack of quality/must have games at launch
  • Almost immediate software drought
  • Virtual Console was lackluster in it's offerings
  • Poor messaging from Nintendo/Confusion about rollout of services and games

Let's take a look at these and see what Nintendo has done with the last year to strengthen the Wii U.

The OS

The OS was incredibly slow at launch, taking upwards of 30 seconds to go between screens. Firmware updates took an hour to download and install and the improvements came at slow pace.

1-Year late the OS is much snappier and just fast enough to not make you feel like you are waiting or things are taking too long.

Much Improved :)

The Nintendo Network IDs and Network

It is unbelievable to me that the Nintendo Network ID is still locked to hardware. I had to go through 3 calls to Nintendo and 24 hours to get my Nintendo ID transferred to a new console. It looks like this is something that Nintendo is going to have to ride out for the life of the Wii U. So if you buy something off of the eShop, don't plan on taking it with you to another console without some convincing to Nintendo Support and a few hours of frustration. Amazing that Microsoft and Sony had this right in 2005/2006 and Nintendo still can't do it in 2013. It is hard for me to understand how people can be OK dumping money onto the eShop knowing that their purchases can not be carried over to a new system

The same should be expected for dream of a Unified Account System across the Wii U and 3DS. Maybe next generation... Nintendo has stated that, "they hear the demand," but there are no plans to implement anything like it.

The Nintendo Network is pretty good about download speeds, no complains there anymore if there were issues at launch.

Still Disappointing :(

The Games

At launch there wasn't a lot of quality games to play outside of NSMBU, Nitnendo Land, and ZombiU, and the game people wanted keep getting pushed back past the, "Launch Window."

After a year the games are coming. It depends if any of these appeal to you and and justify a, now $299 console, to you:
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Lego City: Undercover
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Pikmin 3
  • Wonderful 101
  • Monster Hunter 3
  • Game and Wario
  • And coming soon Super Mario 3D World

Sadly at the same time we are seeing 3rd parties abandon the Wii U and if they are supporting the console it tends to be lacking features of it's 360/PS3 counterparts (Batman: Arkham Origins) or over priced (Deus Ex). EA is just about out. Ubisoft is still showing support and Activision is to a lesser extent.

Improved :) Hopefully we see fewer sequels in 2014.

Virtual Console

VC has had some highlights like Earthbound, but Nintendo is still pumping out games no one wants? Since September 19th we got:

• Baseball
  • Pinball
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Urban Champion
  • Golf Nintendo
  • Tennis
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Final Fight
  • Final Fight 2
  • Final Fight 3

Wow, some real bangers in there... And Super Mario Brothers came out 10 months after the launch and Nintendo made sure to tweet about how awesome it is you can now pay ANOTHER $5 to play SMB on another Nintendo Console. At least people got to play Super Castlevania IV for Halloween.

And where are the other consoles? Nintendo 64, Genesis, Neo Geo, TG-16, or what about Gamecube games???

I don't even want to rate it. :(

I will leave the messaging up to you guys.

Personally, I am happy to buy a Wii U for Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D World. With that being said, it is still a disappointing attempt by Nintendo in my eyes.

TLDR: One year later, are you happy with the Wii U?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
There are still problems, but with Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Lego City, etc. I definitely enjoyed my first year with the console. I know these are not huge AAA system sellers, but they're exactly the type of games I love.

But I also loved the Dreamcast, so...

The Wii U is still stumbling a bit, especially on the Virtual Console front. The next 6 months of game releases may help, but my attention is now wandering towards the PS4, Xbone, and SteamOS.

Still disappointed.

w101, pikmin 3, lego undercover, sonic are all great games (mario 3d land still comming)
wii party, wii fit are great casual titles (wii sports, sonic and mario still comming )
monster hunter, splintercell, rayman origins (supposedly also batman and ass 4) are good ports

i am also really satisfied at the quality of some of the eshop games (ducktales and dungeon and dragons were great ports)

i am satisfied on the game front.

i think the ability to play Wii games (which means wiiware and vc games too) off tv is really great.

OS has much approved

Overall I am satisfied with the WiiU at the moment.

stuminus3

I had to send my system away for repair after just 8 months of ownership (flashing red light of death). I've never had to do that with anything, ever. Even my OG 20GB 360 did better than that. So that was extremely disappointing.

Pikmin 3, though. Yeah!

ASIS

I wouldn't call the system "good" just yet, but it has greatly improved in the second half of this year. Is it enough? lol no, but it's heading in the right direction.

GulAtiCa

Certainly has come along way. OS still needs to be speed up a bit, but certainly a LOT faster then it was. Esp loading games is pretty quick now.

brinstar

The virtual console is a huge step down from the Wii. Other than that I'm enjoying my system quite a bit, I just hope the beginning of 2014 isn't too drought-y

There have been plenty of games in the last year to keep me satisfied. The OS is fine to me, and I don't really give a shit about the account system issue.

But the Virtual Console has been pretty shitty. I don't mind slow trickle at all, but when it's a slow trickle of atrocious games and never anything interesting, it's annoying. And I'm still wondering where the fuck the N64 and GBA games that I was promised are.

The actual VC emulator itself is way better than the Wii's, but give me some more substantial games than Baseball and Tennis please.

I'm surprised how many strides were made with Miiverse and the Internet browser. The latter can now read PDF's, you can view the Web page while entering text and now you can allow sits to remember passwords.

VC is still inexcusably horrific. Maybe one a week? No excuse with how many have already been released on Wii. It wouldn't be so bad if upgrades were free so you could buy it on Wii VC before it goes up on Wii U.

Van Owen

Banned
I expected the OS to be a lot faster after that second summer update. It stayed pretty much the same though.

There's no reason it should take so long to open Settings when I can access PS3 settings from the XMB with zero wait time.

Account system is still a joke. VC has a couple gems but is not exciting. Still want you to rebuy games you own on 3DS and upgrade Wii VC.

Games have begun to arrive though and that is the most important thing.

I'm happy to have games to play and am overall happy, but regret buying it at launch for sure. The Deus Ex option to auto publish achievements to Miiverse is great, but I would still prefer a real public game library and trophy list.

Wait you can do this?

yes
Not in the way you probably think/would like.
Using a Wiimote lol!!

i dont know. i dont think its such a deal breaker.

I have been playing a few wii games that way (galaxy 2, punchout) and it really is a neat feature if you want to play games on bed or while watching a movie.

i dont think it is so bad to play a VC game (say ogre 64) with a classic con while looking at the gamepad.

AlucardGV

Banned
i wonder how much Nintendo will price a gamecube game. if a nes game is 5 euro they'll probably price a GC game 20 euro

It's worse than the first year the N64 had.

At least that had Mario 64 at launch.

The N64's first full year was actually quite amazing. Mario 64, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Wave Race, Goldeneye, Turok, Blast Corps, Star Fox and ISS64 were all released in its first full year. At least in terms of exclusives I think few consoles stack up to the N64's first year, so it's not surprising that the Wii U doesn't stand up to it.

Mithos

I expected the OS to be a lot faster after that second summer update. It stayed pretty much the same though.

There's no reason it should take so long to open Settings when I can access PS3 settings from the XMB with zero wait time.

Well the Settings on the Wii U is a different application, and not part of the main menu.
Nintendo need to drop the idea of a module based OS, and merge everything that's supposed to be "the OS" into the OS.

That's a really bad sounding first year. Especially when one of the big games listed is Sonic Lost World, which I keep hearing is all kinds of awful.

Bert

I redid my media center this week. My Wii U literally has 2mm of dust all over it. I don't even know where my game pad charger is.

That said, I'm liking the look if U Sports and U Fit and Mario and MK are around the corner so things are looking up. PS+ is taking up most of my gaming time so it has to be cheap or top quality to get my cash these days and there's little of either of the eShop.

I went through a similar period from launch to Pikmin 3 and I expect it to be months between uses for the foreseeable. A shame, but I'll still get value out of the purchase.

TheMan

x is the only game i want on this thing. it saddens me that monolith is a first part developer and that the game will only be available on WiiU- not only will potential sales be gimped, but imagine what could have been on hardware with more oomph.

if it wasn't for that one game i would have no interest in the console at all.

yes

i dont know. i dont think its such a deal breaker.

I have been playing a few wii games that way (galaxy 2, punchout) and it really is a neat feature if you want to play games on bed or while watching a movie.

i dont think it is so bad to play a VC game (say ogre 64) with a classic con while looking at the gamepad.

I still have yet to try it but I heard the games look great on it.

I went to try it about a week ago and couldn't synch up my Remotes but I will try again.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The Wii U is not perfect, but it is far better than it was.

There is a bunch of really good exclusives for the system now, but as yet, there's a definite lack of a "GOTTA BUY A WII U NOW!" game. (Fortunately, SM3DW looks like it could be one.)

They have been very slow with VC releases though (same can be said for the 3DS too), but it has EARTHBOUND which made lots of people happy and proved that Miiverse is a useful tool for letting Nintendo know what fans want.

Trago

Over all, I'm not happy with getting a Wii U at launch.

To be honest, I got a Wii U at launch to be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles since the system has Backwards Compatibility. If I waited until the price drop, then I would be happy with my purchase.

There's still no killer app for the system yet, but I'm happy that the big games will be released. Smash, X, and Bayonetta 2 wont play themselves after all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing mentioned in the OP that really bothers me is the lack of an account system. I refuse to buy stuff from the eShop because of it. Otherwise, I love my Wii U.

Hiccup

Banned
I own a Wii U. Clusterfuck of a system, services, OS. Complete embarrassment and they deserve the horrific sales.

The Deus Ex price thing pissed me off initially, but frankly the Wii U version is worth every penny if you can find it.

The way they're handling VC baffles me.

OS is now pretty great. Could still stand to be a touch quicker but not bad. Mostly just getting into settings. Needs folders. Download, install and patch management is way, way better than on PS3. Online store is much better too. MiiVerse is an even bigger difference maker than it was at launch.
Online is bare bones in some respects but works fine. Mostly needs an onscreen notification system.
Account system needs work.
VC needs to pick up steam.

Mostly at this point I just want the damn thing to sell better so I don't feel like I'm trying to find a speakeasy whenever I want to buy a game at retail.

oatmeal

Banned
I like it a lot, I play it more than any other system right now and there are a ton of games out for it now.

Coach, didn't you recently trade your Wii U back in? Did you just rebuy it again yesterday?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I own a Wii U. Clusterfuck of a system, services, OS. Complete embarrassment and they deserve the horrific sales.

Sold mine while I could still get decent value for the 8GB model. Might jump back in after Smash Bros, Bayo 2 and Zelda are available though since the price will probably be even lower by then. I will definitely never buy another Nintendo console at launch though.

Dukey

Banned
I'd say it's the worst console I've ever owned, but I owned a Wii and a Jaguar, so I can't. A year later and I still despise most everything about the hardware, OS, and account system. "Nintendo doesnt follow trends, they do their own thing" is fine when it comes to games, but when it comes to creating ass-backwards hardware and account systems, it just illustrates what a terrible company they've become. Or maybe they always were and I'm only noticing it now because the competition is doing so much more. I wish I didn't love their games so much, because then I wouldn't even have to deal with the hardware/OS/Account junk.

OS - It's better but I don't really care
Games - Fucking shit support from Nintendo with just Pikmin 3 being released that's actually worth owning AND new (Wind Waker is great obv.). Wario mini-game collection? No.
VC - Shit. Embarrassing. Laughable. Where is N64 or GC support? Even Super Nintendo support is crap. At least most EU games have been 60hz though (except Super Metroid annoyingly) but where the fuck are the games?

For me, a shit year for Wii U, it's the worst console I have ever owned and the only one I have totally regretted. One game bought on disc (Pikmin) and one VC (F-Zero). I wanted to love W101 but I couldn't stand the controls, far too fussy for their own good. Mario 3D World will be awesome I am sure. I really do wonder what on Earth is going on at Nintendo HQ.

The Boat

The lineup already justified the purchase for me, plenty of great games I can't get anywhere else and it's a local multiplayer beast.

Still has plenty of problems and 3rd party support will probably never be fixed but I'm happy with Wii U all the same. Just give us a fucking account system and the ability to backup saves already!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is still puzzling to see Wii U's OS and UI to be still so far away in terms of speed, loading pauses when you go from one task to the next, it still needs a lot of work. It is puzzling because you can see a system like 3DS which has far less resources reserved for the OS and a far weaker HW do a much much better job with. Animal Crossing: New Leaf got me to make some time to play more with my launch 3DS and thanks to its updates... well the OS feels so much snappier than it used to be. Going in and out of apps is quite quick, it could be even faster, but it never gets to the point of taking you out of the experience or bothering the user.

Top Bottom