• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

KuroNeeko

Edit: Now that I read the source in Japanese he could possibly mean that there's just a lot of actions with varying recast timers so it's hard to tell how to line them up (it's not but people playing this game don't often have lights upstairs).
The wording use is that recast timers were "all over the place" (バラバラ). Eh. Still doesn't sound right.

I think that's a fair assessment of what he said, but I might interpret it as something like, "People familiar enough with the class were able to output huge amounts of burst damage, but it required extensive use of a large number of cross-class (additional) skills each with their own cooldowns. This made it difficult to tell what needed to be used when..."

By itself, sure, there will be people who roll their eyes with the obligatory "Oh, Yoshida...", but you need to take into account the context. If you are completely familiar with the class, then you fall into the group of people that could consistently (within the parameters of the class) deal large amounts of burst damage. However, one of the goals of this expansion has been to lower the skill floor--or at least reduce the (DPS) gap between poor-average and skilled players. (I imagine that) for someone just picking up the class, messing up their Wildfire proc meant that they were really dealing mediocre damage, so becoming familiar enough with the class often required more time than a newer player was willing to invest. Rather, they'd probably try Mach in a group, embarrass themselves with poor DPS, and then quit the class for something easier.

So instead, they've reworked the class around this heat mechanic.

Disclaimer: I've never touched the Mach class, so I don't know how it works. I do know that my experience with NIN was similar, and I posted mediocre damage for a looong time before I got used to working in Suiton / Trick Attack while managing my cooldowns to keep debuffs and dots up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Isn't the picture just taken at an angle. I mean in the end it doesnt really matter we are gonna find out about all the stuff in less than a day when people data mine it all after the update

What class is everyone leveling to 60 first? :)
SCH, then PLD later on when my friend get's to SB content

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If Requiescat was moved to 62 and made into Trick Attack, Layla Bell who's at E3 in person would've noticed.

duckroll

Is there some sort of way to keep track of the dps you're doing in a given rotation and comparing it with average numbers for that job at that lvl and ilvl? Like, I know there are strike dummies, but that seems like a manual training tool rather than what I'm thinking of. Not sure if this makes sense.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there some sort of way to keep track of the dps you're doing in a given rotation and comparing it with average numbers for that job at that lvl and ilvl? Like, I know there are strike dummies, but that seems like a manual training tool rather than what I'm thinking of. Not sure if this makes sense.

There are the raid dummies outside of ildyshire. Which you can use time to kill as an extra measure

Ken

Console is probably just Stone Sea Sky and mathwork.
PC you have ACT program.

For other people's numbers? FFLogs and watching YouTube videos of people parsing themselves I guess?

Clunker

I've fallen for this game pretty hard -- it'll be my summer crush -- but since I'm not even in Heavensward yet I'll see y'all sometime in a month or two in Stormblood. :p

I'm set up on Brynhildr and have an FC I like a lot, but I think I can PF with people on Ultros so if anyone is leveling and still in the 50s or wants to suck on the teats of my 1st time bonuses for various lv50 dungeons I haven't gotten to yet, we can work something out! I'm currently a 54 WAR and maybe 20 quests away from opening up Heavensward.

monochr0m3

Neo Member

Advanced Combat Tracker
To track your own dps and compare them to party members, etc.

FFLogs
To use the data from Advanced Combat Tracker to compare with the rest of the players.

Note that ACT is kinda not allowed within the rules of the game, but as long as it's not spoken publicly it should be fine.

FinalAres

I have a question. I have a level 60 DRG but I didn't play any of the post 3,0 content so I'm a bit behind in terms of content, but definitely gear. Will I be able to buy new equipment quite easily so I can cheese through the HW content, or will I need to go through all the gear laddering to earn my right to start Stormblood content?

PLD and BRD are the first classes I ever got to 60. Am so happy and excited to play with all the new changes and improvement to them. RDM might be the new job I wanna try the most.

Got my first crafters to 60 yesterday with BSM and GSM. Hope to get the others to 60 by the time the expansion comes out proper. Anima umbrite step is also almost done. I wanna get my anima done as well before the expansion drops.

This is what happens when we don't get prelim patch notes.

We got charliedayconspiracy.jpg over here

I just don't want double PLD to be meta for savage raiding and I become useless as Warrior.

laoni

I have a question. I have a level 60 DRG but I didn't play any of the post 3,0 content so I'm a bit behind in terms of content, but definitely gear. Will I be able to buy new equipment quite easily so I can cheese through the HW content, or will I need to go through all the gear laddering to earn my right to start Stormblood content?

If it's like Heavensward, someone with access to Stormblood'll be able to buy vendor gear that'll get you through without needing to go through the tome gear grind.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The only official way is the strike dummies. You can figure out your dps using the time remaining after killing the dummy and some math.

If you're on PC there's a dps parser that will spit out your current dps and there's https://www.fflogs.com where you can upload your battle log and compare it to other people who have uploaded theirs.

iammeiam

My objection to the MCH change is that they largely took a kit that al lined up pretty forcibly, stripped out a bunch of buttons, and then hung it around a mechanic that's going to in part require people to do math to line up. I get that they felt it needed a change, and had been pushing for them to rebalance things such that the peaks were lower but the valleys higher by shifting a chunk of the potency out of the wildfire window and into the maintenance bits.

It's honestly partially just weird because MCH was always stacked up next to Bard, which had 60s/80s/90s/2 minute cool downs alongside a 21-second self buff that could randomly proc a reset and two 18 second DoTs. Bard was a lot more freestyle, MCH was a lot more self-aligned. Too many buttons, sure, but things that it was hard to tell when to use is weird.

There's unofficial stuff, but Yoshida has repeatedly stated he doesn't want to put anything in the game that would make people feel bad for doing something wrong. So the best we get in-game are the SSS dummies that you can reverse-calculate to DPS based on killtime, but because SSS is a hard limit of 3 minutes and jobs have different burst cycles. Beyond that it's third party programs and extracurricular research to get an idea of averages.

Edit: oh that reddit thing added more stuff?
SAM's personal DPS is definitely higher than other jobs, which is balanced by the fact that it has little utility, if at all. Moreover, it will take lots of practice to output that potential to its fullest. Inb4 3-digit DPS SAMs.

"Hi guys, we've heard monk's concerns about being considered outside the meta as they provided only superior personal damage and little group utility. In response, we've decreased their personal damage slightly and given them group utility instead. IN UNRELATED NEWS, here is SAM, superior personal damage but we've balanced it out with little group utility."

High-end crafted gear will probably not be necessary for the first two Savage fights.
Difficulty-wise, O4S > A12S. O4S will have something extra to it not found in Normal mode. (a-la Winged Justice, maybe?)
Designers: O1S - A guy from the 24-man raid team. O2S - The guy that made Refurbisher. O3S, O4S - Mr. Second Coil.
The so-called "Super-Savage" fight will be in 4.1.

this could mean many things; hopefully 24-man guy does good and they've broadened their base of raid designers.

If it's like HW then they should add gear rewards to the 3.1-3.5 quests that give you the item level needed to get into SB.

Jolkien

So I'm leveling as WAR first and my friend will switch from MCH to SAM, the potions to level up from 50 to 60 is not available on early access ?

Guess I'll grind potd with him as a SCH to start biting into 60 to 70 and then back to WAR when he gets to 60. Kinda wish we could've skipped the potd 13+ hours grind. -_-

Stuart444

So I'm leveling as WAR first and my friend will switch from MCH to SAM, the potions to level up from 50 to 60 is not available on early access ?

Guess I'll grind potd with him as a SCH to start biting into 60 to 70 and then back to WAR when he gets to 60. Kinda wish we could've skipped the potd 13+ hours grind. -_-

SAM/RDM won't have jump potions but the potions for other jobs will be available during early access

They want everyone to start evenly so no jump potion for RDM/SAM

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Still don't know if I'll level SMN or RDM first. Depends on what we'll get from patch notes and datamine and how much I wanna see the story.

Sheppard

I assume the launcher will update with Stormblood for those with easy access, or do I need to download something from somewhere?

Jolkien

SAM/RDM won't have jump potions but the potions for other jobs will be available during early access

They want everyone to start evenly so no jump potion for RDM/SAM

Oh well, grinding time it is !

Another question, do we know when we'll be able to patch our game ? at 5 AM PDT tomorrow or if I try to log into the game earlier it'll download it but the server will still obviously be down for maintenance.

Stuart444

Oh well, grinding time it is !

Another question, do we know when we'll be able to patch our game ? at 5 AM PDT tomorrow or if I try to log into the game earlier it'll download it but the server will still obviously be down for maintenance.

Anytime between now and launch, No idea when.

You can update but won't be able to enter the game obviously. Once the patch is up, people will post here and you know to just log into the client and update it. And then you'll be all ready for SB!

Emitan

Still don't know if I'll level SMN or RDM first. Depends on what we'll get from patch notes and datamine and how much I wanna see the story.

I'm in the same boat. SMN means I can start doing the story right away but leveling RDM will take longer. RDM means I get to play as my favorite FF job but I have to grind for 6ish hours first.

Thorgal

Honestly I expect the servers to do just fine, maybe a bit wobbly at the start.

+ they are going to use the same trick they did at the start of the HW quests with the brothers to split the horde of players rushing in to two different zones easing the stress on the servers.

Was trying to finish all of the raid content I never got around to doing (everything past Void Ark and Gordias). Sadly, my internet decided to crash several times, so I only got to beat Midas. Feels fuckin' bad man. I know there's the syncing option, but it's gonna be hard to find people who wanna go back and do shit the right way, I'm sure.

Gonna miss ya Scourge. You have an amazing animation. And shadowskin (or whatever it's called, I forget).

Will probably level as DRK. Hopefully the new job quests are cool. I actually liked the HW batch, though the Fray storyline was obviously way better.

I hope armor ends up with better textures at some point.

And butt sliders pls Yoshi

Meciu

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SUMMON PATCH NOTES ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Frumix

Suffering From Success
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SUMMON PRELOAD ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

dramatis

Alright, so I am going to join the Ultros server (have characters on Gilgamesh presently). I haven't ever completed the ARR campaign before, but I feel inspired to do so now and Heavensward as well so I can eventually get to the new expansion. I want to experience the story though and not pay to bypass it all.

I've currently created an Au Ra Thaumaturge with the intent to go into Black Mage

I also want to create another character eventually as well - maybe a Dragoon eventually?
You can play multiple classes on a single character, so it is not the best idea to create multiple characters to play each class.

Race stats are literally one or two point differences, they barely affect class performance at all.

Sibylus

Banned
RIP Second Wind and Bloodbath, true heroes of dungeon running. If this means I have to actually stop DPS when I run out of MP I'll be sad.

They drop the title on you in a level 56 quest in the middle of the main story, at which point anybody who's wearing it was running around showing people not that far yet that it was, in fact, happening fairly early on in the story. It's also an extremely anticlimactic encounter, not really deserving of a title for anything beyond story reasons.

Like, I'm of the opinion that most of the story is kind of predictable given how little of it is news to me despite skipping all cutscenes and reading no quest text, but if we accept that it's possible to spoil it, that should probably count.

*Inwardly thrilling at finding yet another use for BLM mana-batterying*

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SUMMON PATCH NOTES ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

\༼ ◕_◕ ༽/ TAKE MY ENERGY \༼ ◕_◕ ༽/

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SUMMON PRELOAD ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

You all need to calm down

War seems like a class that will TOP dps meters

6 fellcleavers in a row, jeez

You would think, but all the dps are freaking crazy now :D

Stuart444

WAR will be shit pretenders like usual.

A shit pretender is still better than a shit tank that refuses to tank anything when in a duty with another tank :p

Like a Dun Scaith run I did earlier where the second boss was tanked by dps after the add phase. And I mean that literally. No Grit, no Sword Oath (2 PLDs, 1 DRK) and no provoking.

Can't even use the excuse that tank = quick queues in 24-mans when they don't want to tank but use tank anyway since there is only 3 tank slots so it's harder to get in alone by default;

What class is everyone leveling to 60 first? :)

RDM. I haven't done Heavensward at all yet, so I will go through both Heavensward and 4.0 Stormblood in one fell swoop as RDM.

I'll probably potion PLD to 60 as my 2nd class to 70 -- I played one in 2.0 at launch and I think I can fill in the gaps with the new skills and changes... I had started leveling GLA on this new character and got to 28, but decided I didn't really want to grind it out.

Have had a blast playing AST up to 48 while waiting until I can access RDM, will probably just deep dungeon it at a later date so I can have tank, dps, and heals at 70 someday.

I will probably finish off MNK someday too, got it to 53 and played it through the entirety of ARR before I decided I was going to switch to RDM in SB. Fun class, would be a shame to just leave it parked like that.

Oswen

Debating between staying SMN or going RDM, Blue Mage would have been a no brainer but alas here we are.
Decisions, decisions...

Top Bottom