• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

People asking about why Tom Hardy's character did what he did probably dont understand this part was loosely based on a real pilot who crash landed on the beach.

robotrock

Banned
IMAX laser is just digital IMAX at 4K. The true 70mm IMAX have screens that are like 3-4 times bigger and have a LOT more picture information as at the end of the day IMAX laser is only 4K on an 8m tall screen. 70mm IMAX also has even more squarer screen than the on you saw which was already more square than rectangular co.pared to normal cinema)

It's amazing and better than normal cinema but true IMAX is a giant leap in comparison.

IMAX laser should be the same aspect ratio as the 70mm IMAX and is on dual 4K projectors.

slider

People asking about why Tom Hardy's character did what he did probably dont understand this part was loosely based on a real pilot who crash landed on the beach.

Fascinating! I wasn't wondering about it but if you have anywhere to point me to read more please do share.

nOoblet16

IMAX laser should be the same aspect ratio as the 70mm IMAX and is on dual 4K projectors.
Yea I found that out later.
How does dual projection work ?

Also can digital IMAX also use 70mm IMAX aspect ratio? It'd be smaller and have black bars on side but can it be done ?

ogbg

Also can digital IMAX also use 70mm IMAX aspect ratio? It'd be smaller and have black bars on side but can it be done ?

The one where I live used to be 70mm then got "upgraded" to digital laser. Neither the screen nor the aspect ratio changed although the projector obviously did.

Digital IMAX can definitely use the full 1.43:1 aspect ratio of 70MM IMAX if the auditorium has the screen for it. However the DCP being distributed for digital IMAX only opens up to 1.90:1 height.

Fascinating! I wasn't wondering about it but if you have anywhere to point me to read more please do share.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_D._Stephenson

This guy's story seems like it could have definitely been inspiration

There's even photos of his spitfire on the beach with germans.
5db06392a8154f582acb22cf85a55adc.jpg

jesu

Seen it today, it was ace.
Very intense from start to finish.
That part where the music ramped up...everyone was near in tears.

edit, just reading Dunkirk was 1940
Amazing that the allies recovered from that to go on and win.
I need to read more now.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
Just finished watching it in 70mm IMAX film at the MN Zoo. If I didn't have other things to do after I would've purchased tickets to the next show.

Sound, editing, acting, cinematography all ace. 10/10 in my book.

Ending spoiler

Did the french soldier die at the end when the small boat went down? I wasn't sure if he drowned or if he made it onto the sailboat and just had oil covering his face.

Ithil

Ending spoiler

Did the french soldier die at the end when the small boat went down? I wasn't sure if he drowned or if he made it onto the sailboat and just had oil covering his face.

He drowned, he was caught in some chains in the boat as it sank.

dc89

Saw it today in 70mm imax. Confession, it's the first time I've been to see a movie in imax.
Incredible experience, fantastic movie.

I'm going again with my brother in a week or so.

Saw it today in 70mm imax. Confession, it's the first time I've been to see a movie in imax.
Incredible experience, fantastic movie.

I'm going again with my brother in a week or so.

I also watched this in IMAX 70mm, and I will attend to another IMAX 70mm screening in a month.

I wonder if Dunkirk will get good legs because of its IMAX experience. There aren't many theatres that support IMAX 70mm. I don't know if the average consumer knows what IMAX 70mm even means.

janoDX

I might be a little late, but I just went to watch this movie with some friends last night.

It's the best movie of this year, no contest, incredible sound, great acting, the imagery was part crude and visceral but beautiful, the way the stories connect was awesome.

10/10 best movie of the year.

weshes195

I just came back from seeing it in the IMAX and while I thought it was a pretty good movie I don't get any of the praises for the music at all.

It wasthroughout the film making any of the intense scenes not that much impactful since you've been basically hearing the same music just at a lower beat the whole film. It also makes a great majority of the film hard to hear when a character speaks, which is troubling since there is not that much dialogue in the film. I didn't understand almost any of the dialogue haha

I guess this is one of the films where, while it's nice to see it visually in IMAX, it may be shouldn't be seen due to the emphasis in music. Also kind of ruined me on Hans Zimmer. I honestly don't think Nolan is too great with sound mixing with audio as also seen in interstellar.

My bad thought this was OT, must have clicked wrong one, ignore.

Top Bottom