• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Mafia |OT| Memento Mori

Burbeting

Banned
mqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

^^^ This also goes a long way toward explaining why I vastly prefer 3. Don't get me wrong, 4 is a fantastic game, it just doesn't have enough of those more twisted elements that I loved so much in 3.

PK Gaming

I love all of the Persona games (4 is my favorite) but I've been replaying P2:EP and I think that game perhaps has some of the greatest moments in the franchise bar none

29-Persona2-31-63.jpg

;-;

Style

Banned
I love all of the Persona games (4 is my favorite) but I've been replaying P2:EP and I think that game perhaps has some of the greatest moments in the franchise bar none

29-Persona2-31-63.jpg

;-;

As much as I love the other games, Persona 2 has hands down the best villains in the series.

n10EW9O.png

5qPwmJu.png

RetroMG

I started Persona 3, but about ten minutes in I knew it was going to be so gloriously insane that I had to stream myself playing it, and there just hasn't been a good time to do that.

Verelios

I still need to play EP, never continued on to it after finishing IS.
The bad thing about EP is the re-used assets (I know, sequel) so what was already annoying dungeon design only got more nauseous over time. It's not bad to pace playing it a while after IS. This is countered by the game going over past events super quickly, having one of the most involved female protagonists and getting into major plot lines without teasing.

The only real negative things I can say about EP is that there's too little Lisa. Where my haafu's at! Or...quarters...I actually have no idea what the correct term is.

FluxWaveZ

The only real negative things I can say about EP is that there's too little Lisa. Where my haafu's at! Or...quarters...I actually have no idea what the correct term is.

The biggest negative by far I have with EP is that they took Maya, a character full of life and personality, and turned her into a silent protagonist simply because of tradition. It's a real shame.

Verelios

The biggest negative by far I have with EP is that they took Maya, a character full of life and personality, and turned her into a silent protagonist simply because of tradition. It's a real shame.
Well, yeah, but her mannerisms are still just as energetic and I feel that generally gets the point across.

You look around the mysterious room. The walls of the room were covered by a thick blue velvet, as was the floor itself. Desk after desk was aligned up in an orderly fashion. Each having a mysterious computer on them. All blue as well, with dark blue screens on the computer monitors.

In the center of the room, however, a light with a blue tint shined down on one desk in particular. An empty office chair sat in front of that desk, and on it's opposite side sit a comfy relaxing chair, containing a small man. His nose was large, his grin wide, and his bloodshot eyes peered over the desk itself.

How did you get here? A door appeared while you were sleeping, and you took that key that was in your pocket out...

You knew this place. You've been here before.

This was the Velvet Room.

"Welcome, to the Velvet Room..." said the man as you took your seat in the office chair opposite of him.

He called himself Igor.

"Do not be alarmed. For I have summoned you within your dreams to warn you... Our time is short, so listen carefully." he began.

"Can you hear their sounds? The Shadows approach quickly, with the intent to take a life. But do not despair, for you have the power of a Persona to protect you. Soon, the time will come for you to wield your power against the forces that desire to push you back. What happens next will be your choice."

The grin on Igor's face appeared to get wider.

"Take hold of your mask, your Persona, and wield it against the foes that have come to destroy everything you hold dear. As long as the bonds you have forged stay true, you have nothing to fear. I have the utmost confidence in your ability to succeed..."

"We shall meet again, the night after...."

The walls of the room began to stretch, as everything seem to get further and further away. A bright light envelopes your vision, as everything fades away...
---------------

The Persona users had gathered at the food court in response to the sound of police sirens. Although oddly, their numbers seemed to have been growing lately. They didn’t recognize half the newcomers, and everyone seemed to be wearing sunglasses for some unknown reason...

Looking pale, the leader of the group, who had been running late, finally arrived. The holdup had been due to an incident on the way to the store. The rest of the team hurried over to where the police were cordoning off an area of the street. Apparently a teenage boy had been brutally murdered and his body stuffed unceremoniously into a random garbage can.

The team glanced at each other fearfully, for rumors of Shadows appearing in the town had been circulating. Could those Shadows be the culprits? Could the ones responsible for this even be among their own numbers? Still, Shadows should be easy enough to identify considering their easily distinguishable yellow eyes.

Oh right, the sunglasses….

Guess this would have to be done the hard way.

Ourobolus has died.

Day 1 begins!

Majority is 11

Day 1 ends:

blu_1479502800.png

Note: Royal_Flush's voting tool, which we'd usually use to count votes, has been stolen! The culprits are as of yet unknown, but a calling card featuring a red hat was found at the scene of the crime. The police are currently investigating, but until the tool is recovered, vote counts will be handled manually. Once it's set up, the current vote count can be seen here, which will also be linked in the op.

Sorian

Banned
Here is my pre-typed message (I haven't done one of these in awhile because mafia universe is no fun allowed so deal with it).

For our newbies in the room, today is day 1. Votes are going to fly around everywhere and things are going to be very fluid until the last few hours of the day phase. You should be engaged and be sharing your thoughts throughout and you should never be afraid that you might get backlash for being honest. That said though, you will get backlash. It's bound to happen and with that come votes. The most important thing is that a few votes on day 1 does not mean as much as it does later in the game. Don't feel the need to role claim instantly to save yourself because (most) roles lose a lot of utility once the scum know what you are. If we are in the last few hours and you're under a mountain of pressure still then I would say use anything you can to save yourself but halfway through the day? No, keep that to yourself.

With that, let's roll. Lucky number 4 up to bat.

VOTE: exmachina64

FluxWaveZ

Alright, let's do this.

In General (Mafia + Neutral)

So we've got 20 players starting out. That means there's likely 4-5 scum players, given the usual ratios. I'm leaning towards 4 right now. There's the possibility of 1-2 neutral players, too. Right now, I'm leaning towards there being 1.

No reason for these beliefs other than a hunch.

Other

The only real bit of information we have right now is StarSketch laughing about a supposed pun in her role PM. The sample role PM doesn't have anything of the sort, which is why I was wondering if that was just a straight up implication that she is not a Vanilla Townie.

Given that this happened before the game started, I don't know if it's worth looking into or even allowed. But it's the one thing.

Natiko

Banned
Honestly I had to go back and check the player list to make sure that wasn't an instakill on someone in the game. Glad to be here, though it seems like the start of the game is always the hardest part.

Natiko

Banned
Other

The only real bit of information we have right now is StarSketch laughing about a supposed pun in her role PM. The sample role PM doesn't have anything of the sort, which is why I was wondering if that was just a straight up implication that she is not a Vanilla Townie.

Given that this happened before the game started, I don't know if it's worth looking into or even allowed. But it's the one thing.
I also noticed this. It definitely deserves consideration, but with it being so vague it could go any number of ways. Not entirely sure if we want to tunnel in on this already, but it's something to start with.

Sorian

Banned
Alright, let's do this.

In General (Mafia + Neutral)

So we've got 20 players starting out. That means there's likely 4-5 scum players, given the usual ratios. I'm leaning towards 4 right now. There's the possibility of 1-2 neutral players, too. Right now, I'm leaning towards there being 1.

No reason for these beliefs other than a hunch.

Other

She never said she was laughing at a pun in her role PM, she said she could have been laughing at a pun. She could have also been laughing at the role itself or at getting the same role she got in a previous game, etc. Personally, I'm not up for targeting a pre-game post since it feels slimy but I'm not going to stop others from going there, I am going to correct bad assumptions though.

FluxWaveZ

She never said she was laughing at a pun in her role PM, she said she could have been laughing at a pun. She could have also been laughing at the role itself or at getting the same role she got in a previous game, etc. Personally, I'm not up for targeting a pre-game post since it feels slimy but I'm not going to stop others from going there, I am going to correct bad assumptions though.

That's true, but what you're saying still supports the conclusion that I'm coming to: the implication that she actually has a role that isn't a normal townie.

Natiko

Banned
I think I'd rather leave it for now unless something more comes up from her to discuss alongside it. I'm going to wait awhile and then throw a vote on someone who is noticeably late in joining in.

PK Gaming

I don't think Sketch is naive enough to out herself as a scum, so we can maybe rule her out on being one (emphasis on maybe since there's no such thing as a done deal; see last week).

She likely wouldn't have made that post if got a vanilla townie role either, so i'm fairly certain that she has some sort of special role. Presumably amused by Sophia colorful and humorous writing style.

Not making any moves yet, but yeah that's all I've got so far.

Sorian

Banned
That's true, but what you're saying still supports the conclusion that I'm coming to: the implication that she actually has a role that isn't a normal townie.

Yes and no. Ignoring the fact that this more feels like a PR hunt then a scum hunt, there's nothing stopping her from having laughed because she rolled vanilla again (I don't actually remember if she rolls vanilla that often so that's mostly an example case). There's also nothing stopping her from just having done this to mess with people day 1 though that's not something I'd really assume from Star so not exactly my prevailing thought there.

I don't think Sketch is naive enough to out herself as a scum, so we can maybe rule her out on being one (emphasis on maybe since there's no such thing as a done deal; see last week).

She likely wouldn't have made that post if got a vanilla townie role either, so i'm fairly certain that she has some sort of special role. Presumably amused by Sophia colorful and humorous writing style.

Not making any moves yet, but yeah that's all I've got so far.

But if she is experienced enough to know her post would get people thinking, isn't it possible she knew we'd say "there's no way she'd out herself as scum"? Maybe placing that doubt early?

I don't know. Way too early to say either way.

vote: Kerned

RNG has spoken. I'll likely change my vote later but that's the integer RNG spat out. You are new, don't take it bad or anything day 1 is frequently a crap shoot.

I'm out of touch since last main season, what's the current meta? Look for adachi and just Lynch him and the joker?

Natiko

Banned
But if she is experienced enough to know her post would get people thinking, isn't it possible she knew we'd say "there's no way she'd out herself as scum"? Maybe placing that doubt early?

I don't know. Way too early to say either way.
That would be an insane gambit to take without being able to communicate with her teammates first. I really doubt this was some thought out deceit.
i'm not quite dead
Ghost. Halp.

franconp

Hi everyone!

Did anyone else notice that the sample role doesn't have a winning condition? I did and it's strange.

Also this game had a complexity level of medium so it means that it isn't some classic mafia game. I was expecting something at game start but there wasn't. So there should be some kind of game mechanic that we still don't know. I have a few theories, but to not repeat the same mistakes as Overwatch (and sound crazy) I will keep them to myself for a couple of days.

Sorian

Banned
vote: Kerned

RNG has spoken. I'll likely change my vote later but that's the integer RNG spat out. You are new, don't take it bad or anything day 1 is frequently a crap shoot.

I'm out of touch since last main season, what's the current meta? Look for adachi and just Lynch him and the joker?

So many extra words to explain your RNG vote. Noted. Also, this isn't a cosplay game so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume no one is Adachi.

That would be an insane gambit to take without being able to communicate with her teammates first. I really doubt this was some thought out deceit.

Ghost. Halp.

The second scum got their role PMs, they would have also gotten access to their private chat so lack of communication wouldn't have been an issue. Thank you for the easy starting town read though.

Sophia

Hi everyone!

Did anyone else notice that the sample role doesn't have a winning condition? I did and it's strange.

Also this game had a complexity level of medium so it means that it isn't some classic mafia game. I was expecting something at game start but there wasn't. So there should be some kind of game mechanic that we still don't know. I have a few theories, but to not repeat the same mistakes as Overwatch (and sound crazy) I will keep them to myself for a couple of days.

Just clarifying so that nobody gets off on the wrong foot, as this is our fault for not putting it in bold.. But the win condition is there.

But take heed of the Shadows that approach, for they threaten to destroy everything you hold dear. Find your fellow Persona users, and make use of your bonds to draw back the Shadows.

Standard win condition. Carry on.

Natiko

Banned
The second scum got their role PMs, they would have also gotten access to their private chat so lack of communication wouldn't have been an issue. Thank you for the easy starting town read though.
giphy.gif

I assumed they wouldn't be able to communicate until the game actually began.

Sorian

Banned
Online Mafia seems to contain detailed strategies for the sum total of human interaction.

I'd believe it.

That said, the faux outrage from your vote on me doesn't exactly inspire confidence so I'm not going to feel too bad if I leave my vote on you when I go to work tonight.

franconp

Just clarifying so that nobody gets off on the wrong foot, as this is our fault for not putting it in bold.. But the win condition is there.

Standard win condition. Carry on.

OK. The text is some cryptic.

So, don't pay attention to the crazy man ramblings.

Probably a stupid question, but why all the lynch votes already? Isn't that more likely to kill a townie since there are more of us and we don't really know anything about anyone yet?

Vote tool has been successfully recovered is now functioning. An up to date vote count can be found here at any time.

exmachina64 (1)
sorian 75

kerned (1)
zippedpinhead 88

sorian (1)
exmachina64 91

Top Bottom