• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Yeah, seems so. Apparently Ron had some personal stuff to deal with so he did not sign on as SP's drummer (which is a good thing -- I KNOW this sounds rude but we would never have known Jimmy's drumming). But he has tapes of stuff that Billy was working on. They remained friends until stuff happened later on.

Diablos

terrene said:
I read this on Netphoria, but figured it was bs.

Guess I was wrong :lol :lol :lol

No worries, Billy is dating Sierra Swan. http://www.calendarlive.com/nightlife/cl-wk-bands22jun22,0,5517602.story?coll=cl-nightlife-features

151048622_l.jpg

154724178_l.jpg

524402317_l.jpg

But seriously, what is Billy doing with Courtney Love right now? It's summer, I thought they were recording the new album, not having sleepovers at Courtney Love's house! Come on Billy! Screw Courtney's new album for now!

distantmantra said:
If that's true (which I highly doubt), it's high time you get the **** out of here. :D

I was merely a lurker on AMSP... but boy did I enjoy drama! I was more active on early Netphoria, until a group of us got banned and adopted Siva as our new home.

Diablos

PotatoeMasher said:
I was merely a lurker on AMSP... but boy did I enjoy drama! I was more active on early Netphoria, until a group of us got banned and adopted Siva as our new home.
Netphoria sucks. It's good for lurking because you can get a lot of information, but forget posting. The administration there is so very corrupt, it pisses me off. Andrew Pakula owns everything, but one of the other admins who helps a lot financially hates SP; he admits to helping keep the place open just so he can make money off of the band's popularity (I guess from advertising, and also giving members the option to PAY for the deluxe forums, "gentlemen's club" and "Forum 9".) What a dick.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
billy corgans new gf could take a dump on my chest anytime
what :lol

Ron Roesing has responded to even more questions:

As yes, the elusive NEC tape.
This make me laugh every time.

What the fans need to know is, i was in the band at that time and it was called
The Smashing Pumpkins. The band line up at that time was Billy, Myself and James.
( Yes, even before D'arcy)

This is demo ( NEC) goes with all of these other tapes i am telling you about.
IE there is no difference between, the Marked, Billys 4 tracked demos and
the nothing ever changes demo as it is all ruffly in the same time period and basically the band was BILLY and I.

It suits me Well / Vigil was also on the tape I had with the Garbo song.
Also on this missing tape was a song by Len ( Billy and I had him in the band prior to James ) called "happy sometimes" and that was before James!!!!!!! I really liked that track.

In other words, it was never really was a release anyway, just another demo tape.
We did not have a place to really rehearse or play other than the odd occasion
we were able to use Billy's dads place. Hence the Bob reel to reel session,
where we did a cover of the kids are allright and what is called the NEC,
otherwise it is Billy doing every thing on his 4 track. Mind you i was his drummer and we were best mates as it was really just the two of us as stated.

Billy played at a showcase by himself at the Metro, it was a Chicago Guitar talent type thing.
He invited me but i was unable to turn up, as was living at my dads in the south suburbs at that time.
This was the initial launch of the Pumpkins as Joe S. ( owner of the metro) took a strong interest in Billy.

I will have to dig up the James mix tape, but yes i will share when i do.
I have a boxes of cassettes and i have no idea how i managed to hang on to them.
it probably does not play well so it would be more the case of just listing the tape he made for me. It is a mix of lighter / type jazzy indy stuff. The Church, Prefab sprout, and one of mt fav. songs "Perfume Garden" The Chameleons. So to make clear it is a tape of stuff he thought i might like to bridge the the gap because i was really into jazz at the time and bored with alternative drumming but still had a love for cool indie songs.

Thanks for all of your help.

I am putting up a few RER demos for you to down load as well as we virtually speak.

Cheers

RER

Way to many questions all at once mate... slow down!!!

> So if I understand you correctly, there were 2 versions of "drowning
> in the flowers"?

Yes, several versions!!!

> What was different about them other than the recording session,
> anything?
Different people on each version

> Also, you spoke a little about James, but what was your relationship
> with D'arcy like?
I think thats easy to describe, We rehearsed one time at a friend of Billy's House named "Hans" .
He told her to go home and practice more to the tape and learn the parts exactly!!!!!

> How about other key players like Joe Shannahan and Mike Potential?
we will get back to that one....

> Just rereading your emails...what did you want to share about Dali
> holds the hand of god ?
yep, info for the future as this will take time.... More about saint snailsburg.

> Speaking of god, was Billy into religion as much as he was in the Zwan
> days...?

Sure praying to bones, the lot.
Death of a mind was about dropping acid, a very religious experience for ol smugly no doubt.

> What did you think of Zwan by the way?
i had heard they were brilliant live from Dale and a few of my other mates.
i did not get a chance to see or hear them.
I have only heard a few tracks so I can not really comment.
I will have to really check it out one day and see what i think.

let me know what think of my RER demos. Free to download: http:// www.myspace.com/rerrerrer

Cheers

RER

A few questions answered for your comrades:
Q: The name Smugly:

The names are derived from people calling us the strychnine twins:
IE the names Squigly ( Ron ) & Smugly ( Billy )
I believe the priestess in the white Caddy was firstly responsible, for those in the know.

Q: What do i think of Jimmy?

A. "Jimmy is a brilliant drummer!!!!!!
( He was actually suggested by James when I was in the process of leaving.... as James said, "he plays just like you and is very fast as well!!!"
my friend Guido Camelli also tried out and equally a brilliant drummer )
Dale told me Jimmy Likes my Drumming as well and wanted to drum on the Radio Sant Barabbas 3:13 stuff.

For Amish Rake: Without the Marked there would be no Pumpkins.

And for Wally: "Rules to the bad games" is Not actually a Marked Song ...

It was recorded by Dale and I first, at Dales Place in Joliet. ( not the same place as the attic tape though)
It is Dales song prior to me introducing him to Billy.
Then Billy added guitar over it a year later on his 4 track.

Q: What 4 track did you use?

A. T
I will look at some old photos and find the exact model.
Dale probably knows as he erased all his tracks when he left the band.
I will ask Dale as well as need to get ahold of him anyway.

To all Marked fans:
I would be happy to have the Marked Wikipedia page go back to the way it was as far listing songs and the info.
The reason i took it down was due to the fact that whom even put it up stated the Marked did not turn into the Smashing Pumpkins
and said I was personally lying or spreading rumors. Therefore I had every right to remove it.
I would be happy to put up the song list, the picture and the other info if we can call all agree to not post personal insults in the information.
Like it or not The Marked and the Smashing Pumpkins are really the same band evolved over time and that is a fact.

And you are welcome for the lyrics for Christina, Pelican & Fade on Violet.

If anyone has any doubt it is me, by all means join me on any of my "my space links"

MySpace URL:

http://www.myspace.com/roesing

The Suns of Neptune
http://www.myspace.com/tsonrer

Radio Saint Barabbas 3:13 ( Free downloads )
http://www.myspace.com/rerrerrer

I also played drums on his latest release for you french fans:
David Hallyday
http://www.myspace.com/davidhallyday
Drums on his latest release Satellite- ( Le Defi is the track thats up )

Lets get this straight,The nothing ever changes demo is a compilation of other tapes.
All of the songs on The NEC tape appeared on previous tapes.
The song Vigil and the working title were around before James or Len were even involved.
It was never really released as such and was used to get gigs and to give to people.

And for Demi God and myosis and the numerous others:

If Billy is cool with it I am happy to put the NEC tape up on My space
since everyone seems to be so interested in that tape.

Otherwise if Billy does not approve its a NO GO as well as any other tapes for you "weasel" tape collectors
so sorry if I am boring you with just useless information.

A funny bit of useless info:
Billy actually came out to my Dads house in the suburbs.
We are both huge baseball fans ( However i am more of a Sox fan IE SOUTHSIDE)
Talk about a funny site Billy & I two Goths playing catch in my dads backyard.

What a site for sore eyes.

Mind you ol Smugly had a good arm and could really whip it!!!

GO GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

And on a side note, Billys Dad liked my drumming and thought I was very good and even said this to Billy!
Billy's Dad was really cool and killer Guitar player!!!!! I remember I busted a bass string on accident on his dads bass and
Billy was in a panic as we did not even have enough money for a bass string between us.

Turalwyon w3: I am sure Billy would love to hear that you think The Marked songs are awful.
Those songs were his pride and Joy and he spilled his guts on those tunes. I was the one who always said he was a killer Guitarist
and his songs were great and encouraged him to sing, so without those songs you would not have Gish and everything that follows, Dont you get it?
It has nothing to do with the quality of the recordings and such as you have to view them as the blue prints.

As far as Todd White and Dave Asselin and may others i have communicated with,
Well I can only apologize for the past as i was just playing along and doing what Billy did and that is between Billy & I.

I was really hurt when I saw the Siva video for the first time and I took it very personally and the closest of fans were easy targets.

For those who think they are important: You are not me, and you are not Billy, you are just a another fan and you were not there.

Why dont you ask Billy to explain the real reason why I left the band and moved back to Florida, and about the Saab in metropolis
and about living in the sheena palaces, and a billion other questions that probably need answering, but it is truly non of anyones
business and it is the past. If Billy wishes not to say, than I agree to leave it alone from here out.

Anyway, water under the bridge and that was then this is now.

Billy cleared the air on his solo material and per his written memoirs.
So I am happy to do the same. I did not even know what he had written
until I received calls from 2 of my friends in Chicago who actually tried out for the band.
They told me he at least admitted I was his best friend etc. and that was good enough for me.
Apology accepted.

Over and Out & All the best

Cheers

RER

His drumming in The Suns of Neptune is pretty awesome.
http://www.myspace.com/tsonrer

terrene

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
Crazy. I was (and am) John Mulhausen.

Grimmy said:
Hey!!! This is Grimfarrow from AMSP :) Hi Hi Hi!!!

Wait...did we quarrel lots back in those days? :p My memory is fuzzy. Haha!

Grimfarrow? Well shit! The AMSPers are coming out of the woodwork.

spgishsp representing.

Grimmy

Banned
terrene said:
Crazy. I was (and am) John Mulhausen.

Hi John! Gee, like spgishsp sasid, AMSPers are coming out of the woodwork..in a gaming forum. Man, we're a dorky bunch! :lol

I pretty much stopped going to AMSP after the Chicago concert...but I still have that picture of Cosmo with Gwen on it with everyone's signatures on there. Ah, the memories... I pretty much lost contact with all AMSPers after that too. Wonder what people are doing now? Touga no Miko for example?

Grimmy said:
Touga no Miko for example?

I kept in touch with Karyn over AIM for a few years, but then stopped talking for no real reason in late 2003. She still posts over at the AnimeOnDVD forums, I saw something from her last night.

terrene

Banned
Grimmy said:
Hi John! Gee, like spgishsp sasid, AMSPers are coming out of the woodwork..in a gaming forum. Man, we're a dorky bunch! :lol

I pretty much stopped going to AMSP after the Chicago concert...but I still have that picture of Cosmo with Gwen on it with everyone's signatures on there. Ah, the memories... I pretty much lost contact with all AMSPers after that too. Wonder what people are doing now? Touga no Miko for example?
Julia and I were just talking about Touga no Miko (Karyn Noelle) last night. We couldn't remember what famous musician was her grandfather. I'm still in regular touch with Matt BLB, too (he's wild aquinas on XBL!). And pretty regular touch with Courtnay Loch. Sporadic touch with Simon Coyle. Hai Tran is at www.hyperprism.net.

AMSP in 1997 - that was the place to be.

Grimmy

Banned
distantmantra said:
I kept in touch with Karyn over AIM for a few years, but then stopped talking for no real reason in late 2003. She still posts over at the AnimeOnDVD forums, I saw something from her last night.

Same with me...lost touch with Karyn soon after I moved from Cali to Hong Kong. It's a shame I didn't keep in touch with people - thought some of the AMSPers are really nice, especially those canucks ;)

Grimmy

Banned
terrene said:
Julia and I were just talking about Touga no Miko (Karyn Noelle) last night. We couldn't remember what famous musician was her grandfather. I'm still in regular touch with Matt BLB, too (he's wild aquinas on XBL!). And pretty regular touch with Courtnay Loch. Sporadic touch with Simon Coyle.

AMSP in 1997 - that was the place to be.

Yeah - I remembered the epic battle I had with people over Jimmy coming back and how I said Billy broke his promise :lol ("there isn't enough...something something...." - what was Billy's quote again:?).

But the best time I had during AMSP was during the Adore tour era. Because I LOVED those live versions of the Adore songs....

It'd be great if you can say hi to everyone for me, but I doubt they still remember me at this point! :)

terrene said:
Sporadic touch with Simon Coyle.
THE SIMON COYLE TAPES

and I really wasn't moonkids--just a lurker who rarely posted, if only because I didn't have a proper news server. I probably put stuff on listessa a few times though...

PotatoeMasher said:
THE SIMON COYLE TAPES

I had the Coyle tapes long before they were public knowledge, do you know how hard it was staying quiet about that? I could've traded for anything I wanted...

Cue crotchety old man voice: "You kids and your fancy mp3s and SHNs and servers. Back in the day, if you wanted something, you had to trade for it, and we liked it!"

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
I had the Coyle tapes long before they were public knowledge, do you know how hard it was staying quiet about that? I could've traded for anything I wanted...
Simon was a friend of mine, we worked on 666 together.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13559

And yeah, it was hard keeping a lid on the Coyle tapes, but he let me post the real audio online in 1999. Remember this?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....7033b81?lnk=st%2&rnum=1&#doc_843e8eab4ac3e398

terrene

Banned
Grimmy said:
Yeah - I remembered the epic battle I had with people over Jimmy coming back and how I said Billy broke his promise :lol ("there isn't enough...something something...." - what was Billy's quote again:?).

But the best time I had during AMSP was during the Adore tour era. Because I LOVED those live versions of the Adore songs....

It'd be great if you can say hi to everyone for me, but I doubt they still remember me at this point! :)
Yeah, I remember the name Grimfarrow, but I remember nothing of what transpired. Honestly, I hope it's the same with my name and everyone else on AMSP. :/ But I'll pass on the "hello" just the same. :)

Nick

Error Macro said:
so where's the new album?

the state of music today is... rather poor.
We need Billy to save us from musical hell. Now we just need to wake him up from his slumber.

i wouldn't expect the new album until early-mid 2007. due to billy's workaholism, the album will probably be done by the end of this year, but he doesnt really like releasing records around the holiday season

Macam

Banned
I have no idea what the hell is going on in this thread anymore. And here I was hoping for news...le sigh.

SQUASH.

Netphoria sucks. It's good for lurking because you can get a lot of information, but forget posting. The administration there is so very corrupt, it pisses me off. Andrew Pakula owns everything, but one of the other admins who helps a lot financially hates SP; he admits to helping keep the place open just so he can make money off of the band's popularity (I guess from advertising, and also giving members the option to PAY for the deluxe forums, "gentlemen's club" and "Forum 9".) What a dick.

this isn't entirely true. andrew is rather slacking on fixing the server but the truth there are about 3-5 decent sized donations a month, which is pretty much lunch money when you whittle it down. over the years netphoria's evolved into its on thing and the SP forums are the ancillary boards; its really not a smashing pumpkins forum anymore

where boys fear to tread is the all-time greatest concert/album opener (assuming you consider the 2nd disk a complete album, thus making WBFTT an opener). i have a pretty good quality live MP3 version of it (different than the youtube). it is awesome when james improvises those little screeches at the beginning.

Grimmy

Banned
terrene said:
Yeah, I remember the name Grimfarrow, but I remember nothing of what transpired. Honestly, I hope it's the same with my name and everyone else on AMSP. :/ But I'll pass on the "hello" just the same. :)

Thanks John! Hope everyone is well :)

Diablos

Darcy looks so hot in that video. Pre-plastic surgery nightmare.

:(

"TO RAPE MY FALL"? I thought it was BREAK my fall.

Top Bottom