• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PUBG performs badly on Xbox One - and X

TLZ

Banned
You're a bigger idiot than I imagined. You actually went back to change your post after I called you out. After nonstop calling others out as fanboys, after nonstop personal jabs at others, after constantly bringing up other people's post history, you actually had the nerve to pull this shit.

Unfortunate for you, this is the internet.

http://archive.is/z3kW4

The irony here is one for the record books.
Oops.

rjcc

I've been playing on my launch day xbox one (which I suspect has a dying GPU or hard drive, certain games run worse than on my xbox one elite)

it's pretty bad framerate-wise, sometimes I land and items inside houses haven't populated yet or even the houses are still low-poly, driving is like 10-12 fps.

still fun though.

TNH853

I've been playing on my launch day xbox one (which I suspect has a dying GPU or hard drive, certain games run worse than on my xbox one elite)

it's pretty bad framerate-wise, sometimes I land and items inside houses haven't populated yet or even the houses are still low-poly, driving is like 10-12 fps.

still fun though.

maybe it's dusty and the temp´s are to high. open it and clean it.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Was hovering over the purchase button the other day but man, no... just no...

This is the same issue I had with Ark. Sure its "pre-release" but that's no excuse for a game that performs this badly. The idea of a pre-release is that it may not be feature complete, and there may be some things missing, but that's what you are helping to address. Having the game drop to 10 FPS on a console that should be destroying something that looks as awful as this, just screams to me that maybe, just maybe, this has been rushed out for Christmas.

I have this awful feeling that because of this, it may just do more harm than good. I see a lot of Sony fans gloating on lots of forums that this huge game MS have been touting for ages performs and looks like this...

A pitty :(

But I hope it pulls through, because I hear regardless of visuals its a fantastic experience.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Was hovering over the purchase button the other day but man, no... just no...

This is the same issue I had with Ark. Sure its "pre-release" but that's no excuse for a game that performs this badly. The idea of a pre-release is that it may not be feature complete, and there may be some things missing, but that's what you are helping to address. Having the game drop to 10 FPS on a console that should be destroying something that looks as awful as this, just screams to me that maybe, just maybe, this has been rushed out for Christmas.

I have this awful feeling that because of this, it may just do more harm than good. I see a lot of Sony fans gloating on lots of forums that this huge game MS have been touting for ages performs and looks like this...

A pitty :(

But I hope it pulls through, because I hear regardless of visuals its a fantastic experience.

I play on an X, and besides that moment where the game loads and you are still on the plane, at no other time does it have that low of a frame rate and is perfectly playable!

I’m having a blast, my brother and 2 of his friends bought it, as a squad this game is incredibly fun!

I think people need to remember this is a true Beta in Game Preview.

Still not a great start though given the high profile nature of the game. They need to improve it, fast.

TLZ

Banned
I think people need to remember this is a true Beta in Game Preview.

Still not a great start though given the high profile nature of the game. They need to improve it, fast.
Then they shouldn't make people pay for this mess. Have it an open or closed beta or whatever.

Cc23830

So ive just finished another hour. This is shameful. I mean, how can anybody release a mess like this, game access or not. Im playing on an xbox one S and im barely getting 20 fps. Buildings on landing wont load ( really struggles with stairs inside buildings) this really is disgusting.
Says something that my i3 gtx 745 runs it better and at 50fps constant. Again downside is hackers and aimbots.

SentientMalware

Neo Member
You're a bigger idiot than I imagined. You actually went back to change your post after I called you out. After nonstop calling others out as fanboys, after nonstop personal jabs at others, after constantly bringing up other people's post history, you actually had the nerve to pull this shit.

Oh shit lol

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
Just a reminder to keep things civil since already I see some are calling people "idiots".

It seems like the people playing this game are having fun and everyone not playing it are having a fun time thinking the people playing it are having a bad time.
You are exactly right! Lol

My brother who is a casual and never heard of this game until yesterday played with me, his friend and a few randoms in a sqaud last night! We had the time of our lives playing a few matches!.. They were all on an ordinal XBOX one and I'm on an X... They still had a good time even though my brother kept talking about how ugly the visuals are... It was funny with my game and character spawning way before theirs because of the more powerful hardware...

I think it puts gaming in perspective!.... Fun Rules the videogame throne

Calibos

It seems like the people playing this game are having fun and everyone not playing it are having a fun time thinking the people playing it are having a bad time.

Back after another night and morning of playing. This post should be elevated.

The game on the X is running and very playable after the initial lobby and drop which the former still drops badly on PC and will likely never be better.

Once in the game, it runs fine with some occasional odd pops and stutters in areas that you wouldn't expect. For now, I will take this version of the game, "0.5.24" and with the PC version is dropping at 1.0 next week, we have a whole bunch of versions and improvements to get through before we get final...

For now on the X:

It runs in full 4k.

It averages 27-30 fps after the drop-in

the experience is amazing and every bit as fun as the PC

On the One S:

it runs native 1080p

It averages 25-30 fps after the drop-in

It has more texture LOD issues and pop

stutters during driving and spectating

has FPS drops in areas you wouldn't expect

The experience is good, but this version needs the most work right now.

I still think if you are playing this game, it is such blast that these issues are washed away somewhat. Knowing that it's an early access version 0.5 makes me very excited for the future.

A Reddit post suggested turning off the DvR recorder in settings under preferences helps with the frame rate. Turnin it off definitely seemed to make it run better on my S.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some interesting things going on in DF's X1/X/PC comparison that was just put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqIlgl0F7RI

I am playing on the X and like in the video it really doesnt look bad.

Like others have said once you land the game runs pretty decent with just some unexplained FPS drops that at times can be quite frustrating but I can live with that.

Have a friend though trying to play on OG Xbox One and wow does it look bad.

Interesting how Xbox/X seems to have some issues with this game when MAG played pretty good on PS3, with more players. That is, unless I'm misremembering MAG.

Golmon97

Neo Member
I am playing on the X and like in the video it really doesnt look bad.

Like others have said once you land the game runs pretty decent with just some unexplained FPS drops that at times can be quite frustrating but I can live with that.

Have a friend though trying to play on OG Xbox One and wow does it look bad.
Same here, except i tried it fist on my friend's one S, and i was choked; i even hesitated to buy it. But finally i did and it is not so bad one the X. Frame rate and server Stability needs improvement though. And many other things... But this is a great fun to play, i had some really tense moments playing in duo.

Everything feels slow and clunky... I'm riding a motorcycle and i all of sudden pop a wheelie. I do a 360 degree flip and I'm dead.. With the message saying i ran over myself

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Everything feels slow and clunky... I'm riding a motorcycle and i all of sudden pop a wheelie. I do a 360 degree flip and I'm dead.. With the message saying i ran over myself

This happens on PC as well.

PUBG is a great game idea made by horrible developers. If Dice made a direct copy (with no terrible monitizations) PUBG could easily be replaced.

The reason this game has done so well is there are no real direct competitors (Fortnite and H1Z1 are too arcade like to really call them direct competitors).

Lorul2

Wow didn't know it was that bad, BUT HOW IS IT SELLING AND DO PEOPLE LIKE IT?!

This happens on PC as well.

PUBG is a great game idea made by horrible developers. If Dice made a direct copy (with no terrible monitizations) PUBG could easily be replaced.

The reason this game has done so well is there are no real direct competitors (Fortnite and H1Z1 are too arcade like to really call them direct competitors).

Calibos

Wow didn't know it was that bad, BUT HOW IS IT SELLING AND DO PEOPLE LIKE IT?!

On the X, it's way better. From a gameplay standpoint, the experience is there...tense, fun and satisfying.

As for sales, looking at the North American server Leaderboards, I am ranked around 176,000. Duo I am ranked 451,000.

I would say, from those career stats, it's selling quite well...roughly a half million in North America in a day if those are a good barometer.

neurophd

New to the game, atmosphere and tension incredible. I need more practice with controls. I wish there was a free play mode, like the lobby, with targets to get use to different guns and attachments. I have so much fun prepping my character, stalking, and worrying about being stalked...but when combat happens my aim is a mess.

On the X, it's way better. From a gameplay standpoint, the experience is there...tense, fun and satisfying.

As for sales, looking at the North American server Leaderboards, I am ranked around 176,000. Duo I am ranked 451,000.

I would say, from those career stats, it's selling quite well...roughly a half million in North America in a day if those are a good barometer.

I wouldn't be surprised if it broke a million WW in a day, honestly.

HoodWinked

seeing this made me seek out the fortnite br DF video and its kind of interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqKiQm8eIo&t=96s

fortnite has alot of dynamic objects and allows you go build stuff on the fly so it should be an even bigger cpu hog than pubg and yet it performs significantly better. despite both games being on the same engine. seems like pubg should have the benefit of being able to prebake parts of the environment because things are static.

i wonder what exactly is causing the chasm in performance between these two games. is it just more careful asset management. or is it some kind of more engine level tech that epic keeps in-house and not for engine licensees.

i wonder what exactly is causing the chasm in performance between these two games. is it just more careful asset management. or is it some kind of more engine level tech that epic keeps in-house and not for engine licensees.

I assume another possibility is that Epic is just much better at getting the most out of their engine. Bluehole is newer to UE4 by far, I bet other non-Epic devs could get better performance just from experience.

HoodWinked

I assume another possibility is that Epic is just much better at getting the most out of their engine. Bluehole is newer to UE4 by far, I bet other non-Epic devs could get better performance just from experience.

ya epic would be the best at getting the most out of their engine but between ms helping with their technology group and help from the coalition that made gears 4 on unreal4 and bluehole with their familiarity with UE3 should somewhat translate over.

epic kind of always operated where they would sort of use unreal engine +1 themselves for their own product, sort of to showcase the engine and procure new contracts. and license out the current engine out.

YoshiMax

seeing this made me seek out the fortnite br DF video and its kind of interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqKiQm8eIo&t=96s

fortnite has alot of dynamic objects and allows you go build stuff on the fly so it should be an even bigger cpu hog than pubg and yet it performs significantly better. despite both games being on the same engine. seems like pubg should have the benefit of being able to prebake parts of the environment because things are static.

Epic did a lot of work on UE4 specifically for Fortnite - Tim Sweeney tweeted about it a few times.

ya epic would be the best at getting the most out of their engine but between ms helping with their technology group and help from the coalition that made gears 4 on unreal4 and bluehole with their familiarity with UE3 should somewhat translate over.

epic kind of always operated where they would sort of use unreal engine +1 themselves for their own product, sort of to showcase the engine and procure new contracts. and license out the current engine out.

Which UE3 title has Bluehole worked on?

Ether.

No, not really. He's banned now, but since you're still trying to stir the pot: his original post doesn't correlate to my post in that thread AT ALL. It's as if he singled me out particularly and tried to find something to pin to me, even if it was something ever so slightly. Then I realized him, like you from a previous thread, are obviously salty from past encounters/arguments and it made sense (I wonder what we would see if we use webarchive to go back and see your quoted post in that thread before you edited, hmm? But I'll drop it as of now).

I mean, you have a whole thread of people saying this is early access for an unoptomized PC game so this isn't shocking, but he attempts to solely call me out because in the previous 60fps thread I said "damn, nice!" And? That means nothing and doesn't correlate to his original post. But you know this.

We can continue through PMs if you like, and stop derailing the damn thread. Now back on topic: this game already sold 1 million this fast on Xbox so here's hoping it becomes more optomized now that the money is rolling in. As said, once you land and the 100 player assets are loaded in the game becomes way better and extremely fun, but there is no reason it shouldn't keep being optimized and patched since the money is rolling in for BH and Microsoft.

HoodWinked

Which UE3 title has Bluehole worked on?

Tera MMO. its actually quite relevant because these battle royale games are sort of a blend of MMO and Shooter in terms of how they have to design the backend because they have to support large maps and a high number of players.

in fact even H1Z1 developers daybreak was previously named sony online entertainment which worked on a bunch of MMOs like star wars galaxies, planetside, everquest.

Runs pretty smooth on my Xbox One X!

Not like a patch a week after release was going to make much of a difference. Give the devs some time!

These posts scare me.

Do you think your X is special? The game falls to single digit FPS on your X just like everyone else’s.

See, I love games just as much as everyone else, but I hate fanboyism. You can love a game and still recognize it’s flaws. PUBG is a wonderful game but has clear objective performance failures on console

Calibos

Xbox One version of PUBG patched........Does it run better?

Look Here...

Falls to lows of 1fps and single digits ......post patch..

These posts scare me.

Do you think your X is special? The game falls to single digit FPS on your X just like everyone else's.

See, I love games just as much as everyone else, but I hate fanboyism. You can love a game and still recognize it's flaws. PUBG is a wonderful game but has clear objective performance failures on console

Are you even playing the game...? Did you watch the video? It was the XB1 version too...

There are drops.

In the Lobby - which has been a PubG staple forever

During the parachute - Much better here though if you watch the video. stays above 25

Occasional during opening doors and Picking up items - Its rare and seems like a bug more than anything else now

In the lobby and before hitting the ground, the FPS doesn't matter at all so lets set that aside because obviously it is being worked on.

The opening doors and picking up items FPS drops below 27-30 don't always occur. In fact, they are rare...which is telling of just some optimization needed.

Your posts scare me as they seem to be trying to run a narrative that is counter to what is actually happening. It's great that many people, myself included, can look past some early access FPS issues and bugs and enjoy this game...while others come in here waving a red flag every chance they get. Who is the actual "fanboy" then?

The patch came out after a week and performance was improved. next one will go further and so on and so forth...Be OBJECTIVE and accept this and move on.

EDIT: This is interesting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HvMSh-SAE

Top Bottom