• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

Ploid 3.0

Well I didn't win a code from twitter and Facebook like. There was no way I'd get on of those, so many people entered those two. Grats to the others that recently got codes.

I'm doing to an interview with them and would love to ask them questions you guys want answered.

What is the extent of customizing game rules? Can we turn off super levels, change AP rules, filter off specials by character/level, change/adjust the game win conditions?

What are some of the small features that add to the "fan service" of this game? For example, having characters shout out things in game is really cool (When Sly picks a weapon he says "I didnt steal this"). Is there a lot of that throughout the game?

Ask them to make a collector's edition with plushies, dammit! I want a Parappa plushie and a Ratchet action figure.

Ran rp

I'm doing to an interview with them and would love to ask them questions you guys want answered.

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet but if there will be an option to hold online tournaments and how many people can enter a single tournament.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely ask them about Collectibles and any other ways they are including characters and franchises that might not be big enough for a character or stage slot. Please i really want to know this.

Maybe ask them about what modes outside of the exhibition mode there will be. Like challenge mode, arcade, and story mode. If they bring one of them up please follow up by making them explain what that mode is.

I also want to know how the story is going to take place. Is it one long straightforward story that spans multiple characters, or is it a classic arcade mode with a short story for each character individually. Or maybe both?

Thanks for taking our questions.

Inverted control option for FPS lvl 3 supers making it in or possibly patched? This could hurt some peoples enjoyment.

This is a really good simple question to ask too. I really would like to invert my controls for that.

What is the extent of customizing game rules? Can we turn off super levels, change AP rules, filter off specials by character/level, change/adjust the game win conditions?

Yes I would love to set it to only level 3 supers for some specialty modes when I need to shake things up.

Drago

Seriously though, ask them about items for me. I'm really curious about some of them, how many there may be, the series they will come from, etc.

Representation by characters of handheld franchises on both psp/vita in the game. I really would like to know their approach.

Ask what the thought process was behind the Super KO system, how far into development they decided on it, and if they tried other systems before settling on it.

Custom Soundtracks possibly added via patch if it doesn't make it to release (I got this impression from Omar interview @ comicon)?

Inverted control option for FPS lvl 3 supers making it in or possibly patched? This could hurt some peoples enjoyment.

What would be most interested feature for them to look at for possible sequel.

Do they plan on adding the more characters from PlayStation Japanese side?

Will the game have some sort of museum showcase PlayStation history? (like the one in Sonic generations)

They seem to keep the Story mode under wraps could you ask them to explain more

And last thing is how would they keep us playing 5 months down the line?

What are some of the small features that add to the "fan service" of this game? For example, having characters shout out things in game really cool (When Sly picks a weapon he says "I didnt steal this"). Is there a lot of that throughout the game?

Ask them to make a collector's edition with plushies, dammit! I want a Parappa plushie and a Ratchet action figure!

Ask if there are online trophies

I'd also like to know if the number of other modes outside of 2v2, FFA, and 1v1, stock, and timed (like if there's a mode where you can build a team of x characters and have a 1v1 tournie, like in Tekken 5, if there is a survival/co-op mode, if there is a challenge mode with specialized maps for said challenge mode, etc)

Also, ask some friendlier questions instead of savaging them for answers:

Their toughest challenge
Their favorite characters (Maybe one will slip up and confirm JEN TATE!!1!... Sorry)
Their style of play when internally testing
What they think they do better than the competition ;)
Their translation to the VITA and how that offers a different experience (since VITA lacks some things and has some things)

PSY・S;40354615 said:
I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet but if there will be an option to hold online tournaments and how many people can enter a single tournament.

Definitely ask them about Collectables and any other ways they are including characters and franchises that might not be big enough for a character or stage slot. Please i really want to know this.

Maybe ask them about what modes outside of the exhibition mode there will be. Like challenge mode, arcade, and story mode. If they bring one of them up please follow up by making them explain what that mode is.

I also want to know how the story is going to take place. Is it one long straightforward story that spans multiple characters, or is it a classic arcade mode with a short story for each character individually. Or maybe both?

Thanks for taking our questions.

This is a really good simple question to ask too. I really would like to invert my controls for that.

For the interview: do NOT ask if character X is in the game/how characters are chosen ect ect. It has been asked in every single interview to date.

Ask if they have any plans for behind-the-scenes content about making the game.

Like concept art, voice actor sessions/bloopers, or even little interviews with some of the lesser-known Superbot employees.

I want to know if there will be a clan/group system?

You should ask with the advent of the Smash Bros. metagame in terms of moves such as wavedashing and SHFFLing, have they themselves comes across any exploits or things in the game they think will be an advantage to players who find them?

Also, for the interviewer: Will there be a model viewer? And if so, will the NPC characters be viewable too, such as Quark?

Definitely ask about collectibles, unlockables, and one thing I've really been wondering about - just how big is the soundtrack? I don't expect it to be bigger than Brawl's, but as long as it's decent and awesome with stuff from tons of Playstation games.. I think we'll all be happy.

Every question so far for you, Captain N.

Will update with more questions after this post, I guess

For the interview: do NOT ask if character X is in the game/how characters are chosen ect ect. It has been asked in every single interview to date.

Also that one story question is allready answered. Story mode is like classic arcade mode with cutscenes, rival fights, final boss and character ending. So it's not like Subspace Emissary or something.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Ask if they have any plans for behind-the-scenes content about making the game.

Like concept art, voice actor sessions/bloopers, or even little interviews with some of the lesser-known Superbot employees.

SmithnCo

PSY・S;40354615 said:

Tournaments were confirmed, I don't think we know how many are allowed to enter though.

I want to know if there will be a clan/group system?

You should ask with the advent of the Smash Bros. metagame in terms of moves such as wavedashing and SHFFLing, have they themselves comes across any exploits or things in the game they think will be an advantage to players who find them?

why didn't you guys make parappa and toro rivals you missed the cat/dog dynamic

I'm willing to bet Kratos and Parappa are rivals. The whole idea started with that kinda idea, they got greenlighted with the Prappa vs Kratos cutscene (with Fat P interrupting) and they allways rave about Kratos vs Parappa lol.

Ryuu Tri

Banned
Online smooth as butter? So now this game must have zero lag online. You can't have that product.. that's never happening ever. All games have lag online.

Totally agree.

Yeah, me too. Dont ask the general questions we should know the answers to, I swear journalists are so dumb and dont know anything about the games they interview.

I'd also like to know if the number of other modes outside of 2v2, FFA, and 1v1, stock, and timed (like if there's a mode where you can build a team of x characters and have a 1v1 tournie, like in Tekken 5, if there is a survival/co-op mode, if there is a challenge mode with specialized maps for said challenge mode, etc)

J-Tier

Online smooth as butter? So now this game must have zero lag online. You can't have that product.. that's never happening ever. All games have lag online.
Some of the best netcode I've experienced. I'd say 90% of the time, the game is flawless in terms of lag.

Also, for the interviewer: Will there be a model viewer? And if so, will the NPC characters be viewable too, such as Quark?

raUm2.gif

Ploid 3.0

The main point is that it seem to feel smooth as butter, what more can you ask for? So far it seems good from what people are saying.

Ryuu Tri

Banned
Some of the best netcode I've experienced. I'd say 90% of the time, the game is flawless in terms of lag.

Well that's great to here makes the experience that much better.

Maybe but the online is still really good...

Well this is a Beta so the final product might change including the netcode.

The netcode is good for now.....

Yeah, me too. Dont ask the general questions we should know the answers to, I swear journalists are so dumb and dont know anything about the games they interview.

Also, ask some friendlier questions instead of savaging them for answers:

Their toughest challenge
Their favorite characters (Maybe one will slip up and confirm JEN TATE!!1!... Sorry)
Their style of play when internally testing
What they think they do better than the competition ;)
Their translation to the VITA and how that offers a different experience (since VITA lacks some things and has some things)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I like Radec

i feel as broken as the boss fight itself LOL

note: I think the ALT colors for the mirrors should be more distinct.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'm willing to bet Kratos and Parappa are rivals. The whole idea started with that kinda idea, they got greenlighted with the Prappa vs Kratos cutscene (with Fat P interrupting) and they allways rave about Kratos vs Parappa lol.
This is the rivalry I'm hoping for the most. It's perfect.

The vengeful nihilist vs. the eternal optimist. Cue hi-jinks!

I like Radec

i feel as broken as the boss fight itself LOL

note: I think the ALT colors for the mirrors should be more distinct.

Yup. Too similar. Let's have all white, all black, all yellow, all lime, even an all pink Radec.

Remember, there are also costumes, which will be better for mirrors

psasbr.jpg

Spinluck

Well that's great to here makes the experience that much better.

So basically you're saying they'll make the final product worse?....

Ok... lol.

Kind of surprised by how much i'm liking Fat Princess. She has some interesting combo possibilities. And it doesn't really seem like many people use her. So far I think i've only run into one other FP while it seems like most people are using Radec or Kratos.

You could mistake this for a beta thread hahahah

But that would be so stuuupid :).

For radec alt colors the gray one is pretty lame but red radec is really good. I don't know the fourth one.

Definitely ask about collectibles, unlockables, and one thing I've really been wondering about - just how big is the soundtrack? I don't expect it to be bigger than Brawl's, but as long as it's decent and awesome with stuff from tons of Playstation games.. I think we'll all be happy.

Also, just played a few matches. THIS GAME IS AWESOME! It's probably my GOTY. Zero lag. I was mainly playing as Radec, one thing I was really surprised about was how the characters are surprisingly audible. A lot of those videos out there just don't do the game justice, both audibly and visually. It looks great, runs silky smooth.

I'm a veteran SSB player so I felt right at home visually, I didn't get lost that often but I am going to start using different colors just in case someone else is playing the same dude as the same color. One thing that I definitely have to get used to is the super system. I've been studying it and watching it for months, but after actually playing the game? Man, this is COMPLETELY different. Combat still feels awesome and rewarding, when I landed a super it felt great. The times I missed were as expected, pretty frustrating but that's the whole point!

So, tl;dr I think the audio sounds great and the game overall feels and looks great, knowing they're going to up the ante even more in terms of audio and video has me super excited.

One nagging concern though (others felt the same way) Please, PLEASE add a running or dash system. Please? For the love of God? I know this is supposed to be it's own thing, but it just feels so weird not being able to run or dash.

Another thing I noticed was not being able to get through the branches in Dreamscape when I was double tapping down, or maybe is that not supposed to work that way, or at least in that particular level? I kept worrying about the whole "no ring outs" thing but the levels are pretty roomy once you're playing in them.

So, tl;dr I think the audio sounds great and the game overall feels and looks great, knowing they're going to up the ante even more in terms of audio and video has me super excited.

One nagging concern though (others felt the same way) Please, PLEASE add a running or dash system. Please? For the love of God? I know this is supposed to be it's own thing, but it just feels so weird not being able to run or dash.

Another thing I noticed was not being able to get through the branches in Dreamscape when I was double tapping down
, or maybe is that not supposed to work that way, or at least in that particular level? I kept worrying about the whole "no ring outs" thing but the levels are pretty roomy once you're playing in them.

Down + X, not double tap down if im not mistaken

I also disagree about the dash, though I wouldn't mind it as a special feature for some characters (Ratchet's boot dash)

I want to reinforce the thing about characters being audible. It's a great touch, I hope there's more lines for all characters and that there is more of that kind of fan service throughout the game (such as having biographies/histories for characters u select)

Down + X, not double tap down if im not mistaken

I also disagree about the dash, though I wouldn't mind it as a special feature for some characters (Ratchet's boot dash)

I want to reinforce the thing about characters being audible. It's a great touch, I hope there's more lines for all characters and that there is more of that kind of fan service throughout the game (such as having biographies/histories for characters u select)

Ah ok awesome, there's so much to learn.. I want to play all the characters thoroughly. They all feel so different! I love it! Superbot have crafted something truly awesome here.

Also I agree about the audio - I want the characters, music and stages to really solidify the entire epic cross over feeling. I don't want it to be annoying, like some of the more Japanese-y fighters constantly yelling (even though I love those fighters).

I want it to have some epic stuff, like how someone mentioned before how different Captain Falcon would be if he never yelled FALCON PAUUUNNNCHHHHH as his big signature move. If there's a hilarious character like that in this game, I'll probably play as him because I usually gravitate towards characters like that.

Spinluck

If I were to rank each character from best to last at this very moment here's what I'd declare.

1. Sly
2. Radec
3. Kratos
4. PaRappa/Fat Princess
5. Sweet Tooth.

EDIT: The game does still feel like it has a nice balance to it, but it's kinda obvious that certain characters excel far too much in some areas.

3 Kratos's and 1 Sweet Tooth

Good luck finding who is who. And the kickback for some attacks is just too much and too frequent, especially with Kratos.

Ah, I remember watching that one. This dude is SO biased, it's hilarious.

What's his problem? I cannot see it at the moment

By the way, I played a good 1v1 battle with Sly as Parappa. VERY fun, very constant, fidgety, and full of evasiveness and outthinking (It was a FFA, but it was a 1v1 fight for a decent while as nobody distracted us)

Top Bottom