• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•17-19•17 - Wonder Woman can't carry flop Super-Friends, Wonder Boy wins

xaosslug

R2eFlzv.jpg
QWuEHUg.jpg
zDfU9dm.jpg
gMlHdYK.jpg
KaPYin1.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
40% Justice League
9wcOG.gif
84% Wonder
kavuF.gif
92% Thor: Ragnarok
3Pj0x.gif
17% Daddy's Home 2
5f4ew.gif
58% Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
CBq5r.gif
62% The Star

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Justice League' Opens With Gloomy $96 Million in North America

Warner Bros.-DC's costly ”Justice League" has dominated the North American box office but fallen well short of expectations with a $96 million opening weekend at 4,051 locations.

It's a decidedly gloomy result for the tentpole, which had been forecast by the studio just prior to the weekend to open in the $110 million range. Instead, ”Justice League" is launching with only the eighth largest opening of 2017. It's not even in the top 50 domestic openings of all time, ranking 53rd behind ”Fast and Furious 6."

”For every macro budget superhero movie the stakes are incredibly high and with that comes an enormous pressure to exceed all expectations and for DC, this has never been more true," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore. ”In the wake of the much-needed home run that was ‘Wonder Woman,' the momentum was with the brand and great expectations placed on the very broad shoulders of ‘Justice League' to keep that train moving."

Dergarabedian noted that the movie will gross $285 million worldwide this weekend and that initial reception among audiences is positive. The overall CinemaScore was B+ with males comprising 58% of the audience while females gave the movie an A-, as did moviegoers under 25.

”With the rightfully heightened expectations for a movie of this magnitude comes a greater scrutiny of both the quality of the movie as determined by critics and of course the profitability of the film, but the ultimate arbiter are moviegoers who seem to have found the concept and the event nature of the film enough to them out to the movie theater even if the overall North American opening weekend number may be less than many expected," Dergarabedian said.

Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. domestic distribution president, said there were several positive signs such as a 28% hike in business from Friday to Saturday and the start of Thanksgiving vacations this week.

”The movie is on a path different from what we were hoping but we're optimistic going into the Thanksgiving holiday," he added. ”There will be 35% of schoolchildren out of school on Monday and Tuesday and 75% out on Wednesday."

”Justice League" had been on track for an opening weekend of $110 million since late October. Stakes are particularly high for Warner Bros., which hasn't revealed the cost of ”Justice League" — estimated to be as much as $300 million. The movie is the fifth installment of its DC Extended Universe, aimed at duplicating the success of Disney-Marvel's interconnected franchises. And it's by far the lowest launch, trailing ”Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" ($166 million); ”Suicide Squad" ($133 million); ”Man of Steel" ($116 million); and ”Wonder Woman" ($103 million).

The six films that have cracked the $100 million opening mark this year are Disney's ”Beauty and the Beast" at $174.8 million, Disney-Marvel's ”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" at $146.5 million, Warner-New Line's ”It" at $123.4 million, Disney-Marvel's ”Thor: Ragnarok" at $122.7 million, Sony-Marvel's ”Spider-Man: Homecoming" at $117 million, and Warner-DC's ”Wonder Woman" at $103.3 million. Universal's ”Fate of the Furious" took in $98.8 million in April for the seventh-best launch of 2017.

Gal Gadot stars as Wonder Woman along with Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, Ezra Miller as the Flash, and Ray Fisher as Cyborg. Amy Adams, Amber Heard, Jeremy Irons, J.K. Simmons, and Willem Dafoe also appear. Zack Snyder began shooting ”Justice League" in April of 2016, from a script by Chris Terrio. Joss Whedon — director of Disney-Marvel's two ”Avengers" movies — assumed directing duties following the tragic suicide of Snyder's daughter in March.

Reviewers have not been impressed with ”Justice League," which carries a 40% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Its opening comes two weeks after Disney-Marvel's ”Thor: Ragnarok" debuted above forecasts with a $122.7 million opening weekend in what was the fourth-biggest launch of the year.

Liosngate's family drama ”Wonder" provided positive news for the weekend, opening far above expectations with $27 million at 3,096 sites. ”Wonder," starring Jacob Tremblay as a fifth grader with a facial deformity, received an A+ CinemaScore with an audience that was 68% female and 66% over 25.

”Thor: Ragnarok" followed in third with $21.8 million at 4,080 venues for a 17-day domestic total of $247.4 million. Paramount's second weekend of ”Daddy's Home 2" finished fourth with $14.8 million at 3,575 sites, followed by Fox's second weekend of ”Murder on the Orient Express" with $13.8 million at 3,354 locations.

Sony's opening of its faith-based animated drama ”The Star" came in above expectations in sixth place with $10 million at 2,837 sites. The film — which tells the Nativity story through the eyes of talking animals — is co-financed by Walden Media and received an A CinemaScore.

More to come

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

natjjohn

Ouch in justice league.

Wife ants to see wonder and with that opening, looks like it’ll be staying in the theatres for that to happen

Kimawolf

Welp. DC needx to readjust. The problem im my mind is they rushed it. They should have spent 5 or sox years building the foundations. Each League member needed a solo movie or feature heavy in anothers movie. People shit on Marvel for linking Avengers so heavily in all their movies but it paid off big time.

firelogic

Welp. DC needx to readjust. The problem im my mind is they rushed it. They should have spent 5 or sox years building the foundations. Each League member needed a solo movie or feature heavy in anothers movie. People shit on Marvel for linking Avengers so heavily in all their movies but it paid off big time.

It's not a matter of re-adjusting. They already did that with Justice League. They "fixed" all the so-called problems critics and viewers had with MoS and BvS. The problem is that Snyder movies are held to a different standard for some reason vs other comic book movies. And yes, people have an axe to grind with him. Just read the blurbs on RT. They aren't just saying it's a bad movie, they're relishing going into their vocabulary to absolutely demolish him and his work.

There's really no reason for it to be at 40% when it's brighter, lighter in tone, humour out the ass, positive heroes, boyscout Superman, short running time, and ample Wonder Woman. I've watched a few reviews and they docked the movie hard for a weak villain when all it needed was a serviceable one, and it delivered that. Steppenwolf just needed to be the catalyst to bring the league together and to showcase them.

Even Age of Ultron is a 75% certified fresh movie. Was Steppenwolf that bad compared to Ultron? Was Ultron ever a threat? Did he have good motivation for what he was doing? Nope. He was just there to showcase the Avengers. Everyone gave it a pass. That movie didn't have any memorable action sequences and the story was non-existent. Still gets an automatic 75%.

One guy said he loved Age of Ultron because it was a turn-off-your-brain-popcorn movie where he could watch superheroes fight. He hated Justice League because it didn't have a good villain and all it had was superheroes fighting. Why isn't Justice League considered a turn-off-your-brain-popcorn movie?

I think that if Snyder asked to take his name off this exact movie and have it replaced by Whedon's, people would have been raving about how Whedon saved DC. Even if 80% of the footage was shot by Snyder, it's still not his movie. Whedon was in charge of post and editing so he could have used footage that Snyder didn't. He could have edited the movie that was completely different from what Snyder had in mind. I'm surprised Snyder kept the director's title.

96 Million for the weekend is not bad.. at all.

The real flop here is that they used Cyborg as part of the Justice League instead of in the Teen Titans Go! movie we all deserve.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
But they are correcting the ship and will bounce back.

There's still going to be a reaction. When you put Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman in a team movie for the first time and it opens below a Thor movie, that's a problem. It's a gigantic black eye, especially coming off the heels of Wonder Woman. That tells you that people are now actively avoiding your movie, despite a well received character being in it.

I saw the movie yesterday, it is a good super hero movie, for me better than many of the Marvel ones, (they are just joke after joke) nothing serious.
Super Man
has presence and punch hard. I left to care about ratings a long time ago. I will be one to judge if I like a movie or not.

It was a bad movie that deserves this flop. Hope this wakes Warner up and they start making actually good movies instead of forcing this Universe crap.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wonder how subsequent weeks will be with mostly positive word of mouth. I had quite a few people ask if they should see it where as they saw bvs without asking.

t-storm

Wonder how subsequent weeks will be with mostly positive word of mouth. I had quite a few people ask if they should see it where as they saw bvs without asking.
I bet next week we’ll see *at least* the usual drop of 50% maybe even 60.

Dude Abides

Banned
Lol. Wonder woman sucked but it was a hit because chicks wanted escapist girl power. Nobody wants to see fat affleck and khal drogo and some kid who looks like he should be in one direction fight robots.

Raziel

Too bad about the numbers. I liked it a fair bit more than GOTG2 and Spider-Man Homecoming, which were straight up insufferable. Logan and maybe Wonder Woman still on top for this year though.

gioGAF

So is this the type of blatant sexism and straight up factually incorrect ignorance that's allowed on GAF these days?
What is this "allowed on GAF these days" bullshit? People have always made stupid comments here. Get off your high horse, the post is dumb, I agree. But there have always been dumb posts on this and any message board. Let the mods handle it if it is deemed improper, stop attacking the forum, smh.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What is this "allowed on GAF these days" bullshit? People have always made stupid comments here. Get off your high horse, the post is dumb, I agree. But there have always been dumb posts on this and any message board. Let the mods handle it if it is deemed improper, stop attacking the forum, smh.

The forum is not a person. If you're paying even a tiny bit of attention, you'd see that sexism, trolling, alt-right nonsense has been showing up more here lately. I'm not on a high horse for calling someone out on it.

Dude Abides

Banned
So is this the type of blatant sexism and straight up factually incorrect ignorance that's allowed on GAF these days?

It’s not sexist or ignorant to acknowledge that WW was a dumb superhero movie that caught a moment when women and girls were looking for empowerment by proxy.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
After the reviews I thought it was going to be shit but today most people in office said they liked it, some even going as far as loving it. Superman was liked too by them. They said his entry caused the people to clap in theatre. I was very surprised. Will see it now for myself and decide. Maybe indeed the critics are being unduly harsh on this (I can anyway see their desire to write the best phrases to demolish it on twitter. It feels like a race to see who can write the most quoted shit on the movie).

tkscz

Did people expect JL to do good? Not based on reviews, BvS and SS did fantastic even with their scores, but did no one see how hard Thor dropped from week one to week two? Guys, it's holiday season, very few people have time or money to even go see movies. It's why most movies like this release during the summer or late Winter. People are focusing on food and presents, and Black Friday is this week so that drop is going to be huge.

Honestly, from the average person, most people enjoyed the movie. Hell, when me and my girl went to see it, what I could only consider as a group of gaffers sat in front of us and criticized the shit out of the movie, and still said they liked it.

Why does DC want to make those universe films when they have most iconic and well known super heroes that can carry movie on their own ? Plus all those amazing villains.

This movie has many well known DC superheroes. Wonder Woman a few months ago performed incredibly well. What happened?

You can only get by on brand and people's fondness for characters for so long before people know what to expect. I know some people like to pretend the critics were wrong about BvS, MOS, SS etc. and that the general public loved them but the legs they showed at the box office and the diminishing returns suggest otherwise. JL may be OK but BvS was awful, it sticks in people's minds.

mckmas8808

Banned
Lol. Wonder woman sucked but it was a hit because chicks wanted escapist girl power. Nobody wants to see fat affleck and khal drogo and some kid who looks like he should be in one direction fight robots.

I couldn't disagree with a point more than this one. Dude acts like no guys like the Wonder Woman movie.

You guys think Coco will do well?

Going to see it tonight.. its a new Pixar film and it looks fantastic, however, there seems to be no hype whatsoever for it.

Why does DC want to make those universe films when they have most iconic and well known super heroes that can carry movie on their own ? Plus all those amazing villains.

Marvel. They want to tap into that comic book movie moneys. Avengers had like record numbers at the box Office. Of course DC wants in on that.

Problem is that the talent behind the scenes and camera isnt as good.

kunonabi

You guys think Coco will do well?

Going to see it tonight.. its a new Pixar film and it looks fantastic, however, there seems to be no hype whatsoever for it.

I expect it to do really well. Im not really interested since i haven't enjoyed pixar's output for years and Disney films have been pretty political as of late outside of Moana so i dont see much of their output at release now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It was amazing. I would totally recommend it to anyone. This is a movie that will have legs.
The best Pixar movie!

Coco is incredibly uplifting and is actually encouraging me to be a better person.

You must see it!!!

Disney Pixar snatching that Best Animated Feature Oscar at the 11th hour. I think it's going to go over really well this holiday season.

Rick1o1

The marketing for JL felt off to me. Especially when you compare it to SS and WW. Suicide squad was all like "get ready for happy, fun, crazy times!" and Wonder woman was like "girl power, yeah!" But everything I've seen from Justice League looked kinda generic. I heard a lot of people at work talk about SS and WW had even more buzz but I've heard very little about JL.

kunonabi

The marketing for JL felt off to me. Especially when you compare it to SS and WW. Suicide squad was all like "get ready for happy, fun, crazy times!" and Wonder woman was like "girl power, yeah!" But everything I've seen from Justice League looked kinda generic. I heard a lot of people at work talk about SS and WW had even more buzz but I've heard very little about JL.

The Justice League marketing was as boiler plate as it gets. I don't know if was just a matter of putting the wrong people in charge or pure hubris but it really didn't do the movie any favors.

t-storm

It was amazing. I would totally recommend it to anyone. This is a movie that will have legs.
The best Pixar movie!

Coco is incredibly uplifting and is actually encouraging me to be a better person.

You must see it!!!
I did!!!

Yeah it was really good. Liked the twist towards the end. The vibrant colours and music were great.

Lots of people in the theatre were crying at the end.

I could have but held back.

*runs to the bathroom crying

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I’ll just say I enjoyed justice league more than Wonder Woman. “Slow poke” and when the scene where one character follows another with his eye are both leagues better than the Wonder Woman no mans land scene that everyone couldn’t stop falling over themselves over

Top Bottom