• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let there be Life! Scientists create RNA from base elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Karma Kramer said:
Maybe I don't understand this stuff enough (I don't), but what's preventing these ribonucleotides that exist today from doing this same process out in nature? Is it because the conditions of the earth are so dramatically different that we can't just drop some ribonucleotides out in a pond and observe how it develops?
It takes special conditions in order for things to happen like this. Back when the earth was still young, things were very, very different (oxygen vs cabon dioxide content, amounts of free elements in the water, etc.). Not to mention that the amount of time given for these things to randomly occur following the laws of chemical kinetics...it's more likely those nucleotides would either be used by an organism or be placed back into a cycle before this could occur.

Bat

Karma Kramer said:
Maybe I don't understand this stuff enough (I don't), but what's preventing these ribonucleotides that exist today from doing this same process out in nature? Is it because the conditions of the earth are so dramatically different that we can't just drop some ribonucleotides out in a pond and observe how it develops?

Because the billions bacteria per liter that are in every body of water today would immediately eat it.

Skittleguy said:
It takes special conditions in order for things to happen like this. Back when the earth was still young, things were very, very different (oxygen vs cabon dioxide content, amounts of free elements in the water, etc.). Not to mention that the amount of time given for these things to randomly occur following the laws of chemical kinetics...it's more likely those nucleotides would either be used by an organism or be placed back into a cycle before this could occur.

Ah okay... cool thanks. Man if we are doing this now, I can't imagine what we will have discovered in 10 years.

esbern

where's that solopism kid? i want to hear him try to warp this shit. brilliant move using phosphate as the buffer

Syntek

Neat discovery.

Don't know how useful or relevant this is though outside discussions on the origin of life.
Cheaper nucleotides maybe? But then again, a couple hundred dollars can buy you enough nucleotides for most of your RNA/DNA synthesis as it is. Relatively speaking, that is pretty cheap.

Zaptruder

Banned
You people realise that even after we've completely synthesized life from its base elements, skeptics will simply say: "So? When was the last time the planet made a fully formed watch?! This is just proof that an intelligent creator was required for life!"

maybe you guys haven't seen a banana before, but they're like fuckin built for our hands. Come on there must be a God. Especially since our diets consist nothing more than bananas and moutnain dew.

Jonm1010

Banned
esbern said:
where's that solopism kid? i want to hear him try to warp this shit. brilliant move using phosphate as the buffer

I think he would say something along the lines that there is no way of knowing if what you see is just an illusion or something like that. but it really doesnt matter, the kid wasnt really a solipist anyways, he went in and out of the that philosophy and several others depending on the question poised to him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mistouze said:
Neat stuff btw, I wonder when that RNA bands starts replicating itself. I guess there's still some road from RNA to life.
It's now thought that life did not begin with DNA, but RNA, specifically because RNA can act as both a coding molecule and an enzyme. Specialization into a molecule solely for coding, DNA, and enzymes crafted from amino acids, proteins, came later as the genetic process itself evolved. At the very least, we know that the coding sequences themselves didn't always match like they do today.

It's also important to note that even basic bacteria took two to three billion years of evolution. Multicellular organisms were able to rapidly develop and diversify because much of the basic templates were already hammered out. Once you have an organism with prokaryotic cells, a brain, two eyes, a circulatory system, a respiratory system, a skeletal system with four limbs and a spine, and sexual reproduction, you pretty much have every vertebrate animal ready to go outside of proportion tweaking and miscellaneous traits.

Bulla564

Banned
Jonm1010 said:
yep, all those evolutionary findings that led us to new breakthroughs in drugs and medicine are completely worthless.

Simple studies of biology and genetics have lead to those, not the wasteful hoopla on "plausible" common ancestors.

Sibylus

Banned
AkuMifune said:
We're messing with forces we don't comprehend.
Mbrody.jpg

whitehawk

Banned
Bulla564 said:
Simple studies of biology and genetics have lead to those, not the wasteful hoopla on "plausible" common ancestors.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cimarron

Some of you guys are a trip. Just because you know how something happens doesn't take the wonder out of it. So we know how God did it... Science and belief in a higher power can go hand in hand you know. *roll eyes*

Cimarron said:
So we know how God did it...

Who needs a god when you have millions of different ponds under different permutations of conditions for billions of years? Then multiply that times billions of planets and eventually you get life on one and then some more billions of years later the life forms are smart enough to try to figure out how it happened.

Juice

Pretty damn impressive*

Read about it this morning and it's just sinking in. I read a journal article in college a few years back that really thought this was going to take another decade, and kept the door open to it being categorically impossible.

*if it can be repeated

Ionas

Great find, although we're still absurdly far from figuring out how to get from here to even the simplest forms of life.

Of course, it goes without saying that none of this could have happened if God hadn't been there to squirt acetone on the glassware beforehand.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Bulla564 said:
It took quite an education to form a basic ribonucleotide through years of testing. I wonder who will be intelligent enough to engineer the other structures of rNA in a lab.

See, this is why people don't take you seriously, man. Because the God you posit is just a dude with All of the PhDs.

As a fellow theist, please try to think a little better of your Deity. You're embarrassing those of us who consider scientific inquiry to be an exercise in discovering creation, not disproving it.

Also, holy shit that is crazy. I can't believe we are at a point where we can just make RNA soup. Fuckin crap.

Bulla564

Banned
Ela Hadrun said:
See, this is why people don't take you seriously, man. Because the God you posit is just a dude with All of the PhDs.

As a fellow theist, please try to think a little better of your Deity. You're embarrassing those of us who consider scientific inquiry to be an exercise in discovering creation, not disproving it.

As if I'm posting in support of any Deity (obtuse generalization is something common with some of you). I'm posting in disapproval of "scientific" ad hoc solutions that are a waste of time.

methos75

Banned
Bulla564 said:
Are you calling the scientists mindless bubbleheads that just stumbled upon a discovery?

I wouldn't call them bubbleheads, but I do remember reading a book by Stephen Gould were he stated that 80% of all Scientific inventions and knowledge we have we just sorta of bumbled into.

Bulla564 said:

"Simple" studies of population genetics are based on the premise that evolution is true.

Skittleguy said:
I wonder what Craig Venter will do now?

I think I remember reading somewhere that his latest cash-grab is designer bacteria that create petroleum.

methos75 said:
I wouldn't call them bubbleheads, but I do remember reading a book by Stephen Gould were he stated that 80% of all Scientific inventions and knowledge we have we just sorta of bumbled into.

I wonder how that compares to the percentage of religious knowledge that is just sort of made up.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Bulla564 said:
As if I'm posting in support of any Deity (obtuse generalization is something common with some of you). I'm posting in disapproval of "scientific" ad hoc solutions that are a waste of time.

Really? Your Jesus avatar isn't in support of a belief in the divinity of Jesus? ok then

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that his latest cash-grab is designer bacteria that create petroleum.
Mycoplasma laboratorium, the first step into his research on creating artificial genomes. That man scares me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Scientists may be bubbleheads, but their profession is the recreation and study of specific stumblings instead of endlessly doing so at random with little recollection.

methos75

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
I wonder how that compares to the percentage of religious knowledge that is just sort of made up.

How cute, I love it when idiots try to diss religion in post where Religion has nothing to do with what is said. I love progressives and Atheist, all about the free exchange of thoughts, as long as it doesn't impact on their little God hate. Seriously, can there be a bigger class of douche bags on the Planet?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
methos75 said:
How cute, I love it when idiots try to diss religion in post where Religion has nothing to do with what is said. I love progressives and Atheist, all about the free exchange of thoughts, as long as it doesn't impact on their little God hate. Seriously, can there be a bigger class of douche bags on the Planet?
Way to pay it forward by lumping atheists AND progressives together. :p

methos75 said:
They both harbor the same negativism towards religion.

I actually know quite a few progressive christians and progressive, theist Jews.

That said, I'm proudly hostile towards religion, myself. But no more so than the many religious people who are hostile towards atheism.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
methos75 said:
They both harbor the same negativism towards religion.
And thus you prove to be a douchebag yourself by completely ignoring the significant number of christians who do not agree with fundamentalists or christian conservatives.

methos75

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I actually know quite a few progressive christians and progressive, theist Jews.

That said, I'm proudly hostile towards religion, myself. But no more so than the many religious people who are hostile towards atheism.

In reality we are only hostile to those who try to demean our beliefs, seriously if your an atheist why would you pubically go and ridicule anothers beliefs simply because you do not believe, that is really immature if you actually think about it. The same goes with those idiot Christains who try to condemn everyone. Look if you do not believe, cool, keep it to your fucking self. If you do believe, cool, keep it too your fucking self.

methos75

Banned
Hitokage said:
And thus you prove to be a douchebag yourself by completely ignoring the significant number of christians who do not agree with fundamentalists or christian conservatives.

And what does that have to do with all the hostility that Atheist and many libs have towards religion, nothing at all. Those Chistains who are not fundies are not hostile towards religion are they, no, they hate the screw jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom