• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Dead Man

Missed the party, but seems like that's ok. How the hell do we keep getting bonus points? But we can't keep relying on our bowlers and luck. I almost hope Australia lose to India to motivate the top order in the final.

tri_willy

wow... who would have thought that
the game would be done in by rain
and that the aussies even got an
extra point as well??? :lol

the sri lankans must feel hard done by

Bad luck, SL. But our bowling attack helped shape that luck. Looks like it'll be an India vs Australia final.

Amarnath said:
Mohali also has a good combination. Yuvi, Sangakkara and Jayawardene are all explosive batsmen. Brett lee, Sreesanth and Irfan Pathan make a good pace attack.

My city team, Bangalore, is hopeless, all we got are test batsmen, the only hitter as far as i can see is Mark Boucher. Bowling looks good with Bracken and Zaheer. I really don't know about White but i heard good things about him.

Yeah, Mohali is a very well balanced team, even stacked up against Hyderabad, especially since Brett Lee and Sangakkara are probably at respective career high form. Also pleased to see Simon Katich in there, he's been a largely underrated player for quite some time on the international scene. I'd definitely see them near the top of the ladder as the league enters its end-game period.

As you say, Bangalore is a solid team, but lacks real firepower. Wasim Jaffer, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Rahul Dravid and Jacques Kallis aren't the type of batsmen you'd bet on hitting over 200 runs in 20 overs. I mean, I know Kallis will always accumulate runs - he's probably the most consistent number three in the game right now - but Dravid and Jaffer definitely aren't in-form at the moment.

Your bowling line-up is pretty nice, though. Anil Kumble, Nathan Bracken (best ODI bowler going around, IMO) and Zaheer Kahn should make things difficult, and Steyn is always capable of good things. If Cameron White can produce the way he does on the domestic scene, that could give things an edge, but relying on Boucher alone for the big hitting would be a tad silly. Hey, at least you're not Jaipur, right?

On paper, I'd place it like this:

1. Hyderabad - Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, Herschelle Gibbs, Shahid Afridi, Scott Styris, VVS Laxman, Rohit Sharma, Chamara Silva, RP Singh, Chaminda Vaas, Nuwan Zoysa. By far the most explosive - and mouthwatering - batting lineup in the league, and some good bowlers that can quickly become brilliant.

2. Mohali - Yuvraj Singh, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Brett Lee, Sreesanth, Irfan Pathan, Ramesh Powar, Piyush Chawla, Simon Katich, Ramnaresh Sarwan. Has everything in bowling from spin to pace to swing. Excellent batting versatility as well. Perhaps the most balanced side in the league.

3. Chennai Super Kings - Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Muttiah Muralitharan, Matthew Hayden, Jacob Oram, Stephen Fleming, Parthiv Patel, Joginder Sharma, Albie Morkel, Suresh Raina, Makhaya Ntini, Michael Hussey. Second only to Hyderabad in terms of batting - although more versatile. Perhaps one bowler short, though? Ntini and Murali will probably be their main sources of wickets.

4. Kolkata - Sourav Ganguly, Shoaib Akhtar, Ricky Ponting, Brendon McCullum, Chris Gayle, Ajit Agarkar, David Hussey, Ishant Sharma, Murali Kartik, Umar Gul, Tatenda Taibu. A solid team with a mixture of immense experience in the likes of Ponting, Gayle, Agarkar and Ganguly, young talent in the shape of Hussey, Sharma and the on/off again Shoaib Akhtar, with the much underrated coming in the form of Umar Gul's ability to bowl consistent yorkers, something which made him the highest wicket-taking bowler of the Twenty20 World Cup - will we see an evident return to form here?

5. Bangalore Royal Challengers - Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble, Jacques Kallis, Zaheer Khan, Mark Boucher, Cameron White, Wasim Jaffer, Dale Steyn, Nathan Bracken, Shivnarine Chanderpaul. A bowling attack that has the potential to trouble any team, and while the batting might be slower, keeping wickets in hand do matter somewhat, even in this version of the game. It will be interesting to see how a more traditional lineup fares in this league.

6. Mumbai - Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya, Harbhajan Singh, Shaun Pollock, Robin Uthappa, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Loots Bosman. Another solid team with some great talent. Tendulkar, Jayasuria, Pollock and Singh can all do great things - but there's a feeling that the team could be lacking in terms of depth.

7. Delhi Daredevils - Virender Sehwag, Daniel Vettori, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Asif, AB de Villiers, Dinesh Karthik, Farveez Maharoof, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Manoj Tiwary, Gautam Gambhir, Glenn McGrath. This team is an outside chance in my opinion. But still a very good one. It has the depth, has plenty of quality team players, but if they're to win big, we'll have to find out whether Glenn McGrath is still Glenn freakin' McGrath and if Sehwag will be in-form. I'd ignore the ranking on this one, could go either way.

8. Jaipur - Shane Warne, Graeme Smith, Younis Khan, Kamran Akmal, Yusuf Pathan, Mohammad Kaif, Munaf Patel, Justin Langer. The elder statesmen of the league that bring enough experience to cover several decades at the very least. Maybe not enough young talent to keep them from getting the wooden spoon. They'll need Warney to really fire up if they want to make any real chances.

In all, this competition is just ridiculous. Yes, it will be similar to what was experienced at the Twenty20 World Cup. But seeing so many fantastic players at the same time being thrown outside of their comfort zones. It'll be great to see who sinks and who swims in this type of environment. I can't wait.

Edit: Obviously, some of these squads aren't complete yet, but the rest of the selection are largely local under-22 players or others who failed to make the cut into the initial trading pool. And some of the Australian players will probably miss at least part of the season.

artist

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Bad luck, SL. But our bowling attack helped shape that luck. Looks like it'll be an India vs Australia final.
The remaining two games for SL are do or die and if India wins even one (tomorrow or later) they are out ... I was basically rofling at the rate Australia was going after 10-15 overs and thought SL had this match in the bag as they are typically better suited on slower pitches but I guess they are having a bad patch too ..

As for the IPL auction, it was ridiculous in some ways. Some players got the benefit (Symonds, Ishant, Harbhajan) while some got shafted (Ponting :lol :lol :lol ) .. As for the teams, Hyderabad as the best batting power while Mohali has the best bowling power, best balanced would be Kolkatta, they even got Buchanan for coach! And yes Sheila did get me, I see that she's taking a leaf out of the Australian team tactics. ;)

Grug

Remember folks... just don't look! :lol

Australian batters finally showing some spark and intent.

India better appreciate that catch by Dhoni because Gilly looked like he was in for one of those innings where all you can do is sit back and watch him smash the ball to all four corners of the earth.

Enjoyed Sharma trying to stare down Hayden... you are going to be a great bowler Ishant but you are 19 years old and build like a twig, staring down a veteran like Hayden after he just belted you for 10 runs off two balls isn't going to have much effect. :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Not seeing much improvement in the batting, i mean we are batting good but silly shots from Ponting......... considering hes been getting out the same way every time.

But yeah looks better than usual, dont know what it is with making the Aussies bat first though, i would have put them in second, get a good score put the extra pressure on the batters and i recon we would crumble even more.

Grug

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Not seeing much improvement in the batting, i mean we are batting good but silly shots from Ponting......... considering hes been getting out the same way every time.

We've been cagey and tentative for the past 5 or so matches. This batting is much, much better. Confidence building stuff.

As for making us bat first, we've struggled to set a decent total for the past few games, not a bad stretegy to put us in first. The SCG pitch looks solid, should hold up for 100 overs.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Take some of that back, we are batting a lot better, but come on guys cut back on the silly shit.

Grug said:
We've been cagey and tentative for the past 5 or so matches. This batting is much, much better. Confidence building stuff.

lol yeah i know, i have only watched the last 3 overs and seen Ponting struggling with an almost catch, doing a lot better than usual.

Grug

Take some of that back, we are batting a lot better, but come on guys cut back on the silly shit.

lol yeah i know, i have only watched the last 3 overs and seen Ponting struggling with an almost catch, doing a lot better than usual.

Nah, bring on the silly shots, its one day cricket. The conservative approach hasn't been working for us at all this season. How many wickets have come from little nicks off defensive strokes etc.

Australia's best cricket is attacking cricket. Its been easy to forget that with our shithouse batting form of late.

Wow, we've scored in 8 overs what it took over 20 overs to get two days ago. Run rate nearly 10 an over, I'm loving this.

Grug

Ponting has his footwork back! Hallelujah!

Edit: Ricky welcomes Pathan to the bowling crease with a first ball six. :D

Grug

Yes, that 6 was glorious.

Absolutely. The best sixes are the ones where the batter appears to barely even hit it yet they go 15 rows back. :D

If Ricky gets back into form, Kolkata getting him for 400k will be seen as the bargain of the IPL.

master15

Shit I'm missing this! As my living room is getting painted so I had to take the TV and Cabinet out.

Will have to follow this on Cricinfo until maybe this evening. Guh...

Fingers crossed Pointing delivers.

Grug

master15 said:
Shit I'm missing this! As my living room is getting painted so I had to take the TV and Cabinet out.

Will have to follow this on Cricinfo until maybe this evening. Guh...

Fingers crossed Pointing delivers.

Gilly brought out the fireworks early, shame he got out. Looked like he was going to repeat his World Cup Final performance.

Once he got out, Hayden took over with the fireworks.

Sreesanth and Sharma have been belted all across the oval.

master15

Grug said:
Gilly brought out the fireworks early, shame he got out. Looked like he was going to repeat his World Cup Final performance.

Once he got out, Hayden took over with the fireworks.

Sreesanth and Sharma have been belted all across the oval.

The run-rate is crazy, I take the pitch is a belter, or just some good batting for a change?

I'm kicking myself for missing this

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

You dont have a radio? AM 630 freq?

I did something stupid like that, have a massive stereo and completely forgot it had a radio on it....... lost all reception on my TV and was going insane cause of no cricket

WOW LUCKY PONTING!!!!!!

But yeah AM Grandstand, awesome stuff.

Grug

master15 said:
The run-rate is crazy, I take the pitch is a belter, or just some good batting for a change?

I'm kicking myself for missing this

Pitch is pretty good, but will give the bowlers a bit more when the ball softens a bit.

Its pretty much just exceptional batting.

Even more good news is that we have a nicely rested Brett Lee back to spearhead our bowling attack.

Grug

Healy calling Dhoni out on his gloves. Reckons the webbing isn't regulation.

Gilchrist may have been unfairly shafted.

India will threaten the ICC and they will change the rules for the webbing to be 15 degrees above he thumb and forefinger. :D

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Lookin again it looks like a friggen cup or something, you get a ball in there its not going anywhere.

Run rates slowed down quite a bit as well.

master15

Yeah the rate has slowed down a tad but I think they are just building for hopefully a 300 plus score. Also did India take their powerplays? (Sorry out of the loop here).

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

master15 said:
Yeah the rate has slowed down a tad but I think they are just building for hopefully a 300 plus score. Also did India take their powerplays? (Sorry out of the loop here).

Think they are in ione now or just finished 1, think they have used only one so far.

Grug

Ricky Ponting brings up his 50 with a glorious straight drive.

Well done Punter, we've been waiting for that! :D

master15

Think they are in ione now or just finished 1, think they have used only one so far.

Cool, I thought the field looked spread for Sehwag (Could to see him playing by the way)

Straight driving Pointing! 50...well done son! :D

master15

Now that was silly cricket!

Edit: Judging from the replay looks like Pointing kind of sold Hayden down the river :/ Guess it's his job to kick on now an make a big score.

Grug

master15 said:
Now that was silly cricket!

Edit: Judging from the replay looks like Pointing kind of sold Hayden down the river :/ Guess it's his job to kick on now an make a big score.

Definitely owes Hayden a beer or two after the match.

master15

Got to admit I'm not well versed on the cricket rules with regards to gloves but looks like the word got to Dhoni and he' switched. Too late for Gilly though...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Well Hayden was halfway down the wicket when it left the bowlers hand but was a silly mistake.

They have changed the gloves as well dodgy-ness confirmed.

Grug

legend166 said:
Word is the match referee will be having a look at the gloves.

Lets hope the BCCI just take it like men this time.

Will be good to see Symonds bat today with some runs already on the board. He has been forced to bat under intense scoreboard pressure recently which doesn't really suit his game.

A nice buffer of runs on the board should allow him to play his natural attacking game.

master15

cyclone87 said:
Just finished work.

PONTING IS BACK BABY! :D

I missed the start of his innings but one thing that's pretty apprent seeing him play today was his balance in his stroke play and he's not planting his front-foot as firm as he was doing before.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Well we have passed the score we beat Sri Lanka in earlier this week and will soon pass the score we beat India with in the last game. Should be a good wicket for India batting as well so maybe a high scoring game for once!

master15

Grug said:
300+ looks almost certain from here.

320-340 would be nice.

Yeah they are getting 6 plus runs an over without a huge amount of risk. I would say at this stage they would defnitely push a big score.

edit; yikes Heals is getting a touch too excited for my liking. Hardly the most objective commentary :p

Grug

Well we have passed the score we beat Sri Lanka in earlier this week and will soon pass the score we beat India with in the last game. Should be a good wicket for India batting as well so maybe a high scoring game for once!

It would be almost completely appropriate now for our bowlers to have an absolute shocker. :lol

Oh noes. Pup gone.

Bring out Roy.

Top Bottom