• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 |OT| Just in Time for Super

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
THE GAME IS PLAYABLE IN OFFLINE MODE.

Hello, all, and welcome to the Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 official thread! Xenoverse 2 features a number of improvements over its predecessor, looks a bit better, and adds some new characters to its roster, providing us with the essential sequel experience.

What is Xenoverse?

bbG9OYL.png

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a series of games that, unlike the myriad other Dragon Ball games that exist, does not simply retell the story of the manga, anime, and movies. Instead, the games take place a fair amount of time into the future, and center around the Time Patrol, an organization created to fix disturbances in time. You can probably guess from that description that there are disturbances to fix in these games. And you would be right. It's up to you, the time patroller, to visit key moments from Dragon Ball history and set things back on their proper course. Assisting you is Trunks - the original Trunks from the destroyed timeline, drafted into the Time Patrol and asked to work for them as penance for messing with the currents of time. In the first game, Trunks and the time patroller worked tirelessly from their base in Toki-Toki City to fight off Mira and Towa, villains who - you guessed it - were behind the disturbances in the timeline. Now, Mira and Towa are at it again, and the Time Patrol has enlisted a promising new recruit to help Trunks and his original assistant to set things right.

That's all well and good, but how does the game actually play? Wikipedia has this to say:

The game is very similar to its predecessor in terms of gameplay, it is mostly set in a series of 3D battle arenas mostly modeled after notable locations in the Dragon Ball universe, with the central hub being an expanded version of Toki-Toki City, called Conton City. As reported by the creators of the Game, Conton City will be 7-times larger than Toki-Toki City. Players are able to freely traverse this new hub world, and in some areas are even capable of flying around, however this feature will not be available from start, instead being unlocked. Players will also be able to travel to other hubs such as the Namekian Village and Frieza's ship. Some skills will have to be learned through masters, like the previous game. However, some masters will be found exclusively in these extra hubs. Xenoverse 2 will be the fourth Dragon Ball video game to feature character customization. Players will be able to choose from the five races of the first game: Humans, Saiyans, Majins, Namekians and Frieza's race. The game will also feature race-specific quests, minigames and transformations (the latter of which was only available to Saiyans in the first game, via the Super Saiyan forms). Players will also have a much greater role in the story, as some decisions will have to be made by them. Multiplayer servers will now able to hold up to 300 players at once. The game will also have a training mode called Training School, and when customising a character, there will be the option to choose different kinds of ki blasts (Power, Burst, Freeze and Bomb).

That's a lot of info to throw at you all at once, so let's break it down, shall we?

The first and most stand-out feature of Xenoverse is the ability to create your very own Dragon Ball character. The time patroller is, essentially, you! He/she is a silent protagonist that acts as a sort of assistant to Time Patrol Trunks. If you played and still have data from the first game, your XV1 hero appears as a statue in the center of the city, and as a supporting character in the story. The time patroller in this game is someone new. There are five races that you are able to choose from:

Saiyan:

Everyone's favorite warrior race, the monkey-like Saiyans, are the first choice! Yes, you can go Super Saiyan!

The Saiyan race offers lower health than other races, but balances this with high attack power. A Saiyan's attack power rises even more when their health is below 25 percent. In addition, all of a Saiyan's stats increase if they're KO'd and revived by a teammate. Saiyans also have the ability to transform into Super Saiyan or Super Saiyan 2. Super Saiyan 3 has also been added to this sequel.

Male Saiyans feature stronger normal attacks and longer lasting buffs (from items and abilities), but their special attacks are weaker. Female Saiyans have a higher Ki and Stamina recovery rate, but lower overall health. If you're looking for a character with strong offensive potential, choose the Saiyan race. You'll essentially be a glass canon, so try to equip at least one defensive ability or health item to compensate.

Namekian:

Piccolo's race, the Namekians, are the second choice.

Namekians have lower overall attack power, but higher health. In addition, their Stamina refills faster and items are 1.5 times more effective. Namekians also regenerate their health when it falls below 70 percent. Namekians have no gender. Remember the scene where King Piccolo so graciously regurgitates an egg, flinging it to the earth below and birthing the Piccolo Jr. we know and love? Yeah. Keeping that in mind, there's obviously no gender choice for this race.

If your play style favors a defensive approach, the Namekians are going to be a great first choice. The ability to refill Stamina faster means you can use the Vanish (teleport) ability more often to escape combos and other bad situations. With more effective items, you can gain higher attack power to balance out the lower attack power of the race, or boost your defense even more depending on the items you select.

As an aside, I made a Namekian on the beta. His name was Oboe, he was black and yellow, and he looked and sounded cool. They're a fun race to play as, and, in this game, they have a giant form as a transformation. That's right - they can turn as big as an Oozaru, just like Lord Slug.

Earthling:

Earthlings are the third race. What's that? Earthlings are weak sauce in the Dragon Ball world? While that may be unfortunately true for the latter parts of the series itself, they're actually fairly useful in Xenoverse!

The Earthling race has fairly balanced stats, offering the well-rounded option for players who don't necessary favor offense over defense or vice-versa. Their Ki refills automatically, with their attack power increasing when their Ki is at maximum. They are able to use Kaio-ken as a transformation.

Playing as an Earthling is great for players who aren't familiar with fighting games, or are more casual when it comes to gaming in general. The balanced stats of the Earthling race, plus the automatic Ki regeneration ability makes them much easier to learn than any other race. However, once you get the hang of the game, you should use items or abilities to help boost your offense or defense to match up with the other races.

Earthlings are the jack of all trades, master of none. They're the Red Mage of Xenoverse. Their customization options are identical to Saiyans.

Majin:

Majins are the fourth racial choice in the game. Majin Buu has spawned his own race since the events of Dragon Ball Z, and it turns out that, like their portly progenitor, they're not so bad after all. Nevermind the fact that "Majin" literally means "evil spirit," but I digress.

The Majin race offers higher defense than other races, but lower Stamina recovery speed. However, when their Stamina is at maximum their defense increases even more. Males have more health but slower movement speed, while females have higher movement speed and lower health.

If you're a defensive player then you should probably start as a Majin or Namekian race. Both offer defensive buffs, so it depends on your play style as to which race is best for you. Namekians are easier to play with, while Majins offer more perks for skilled players. For example, if you prefer to use the Vanish ability to escape combos, you should favor the Namekian race because Majins have slower Stamina recovery. However, if you have better defensive skills to avoid taking hits, the higher defense of the Majin race will make your character very difficult to KO.

Males and females differ dramatically. Males look like Fat Buu, while females look more like Kid Buu. Oh, and if you're curious as to how this race came to be...

In Age 790, Buu reads one of Mr. Satan's adult books, Bob & Margaret, causing him to long for love. He obtains ideas about female mates and ultimately splits into two Buus once again (as he had done with Evil Buu in the past). In the same year, Majin Buu and Miss Buu begin to desire a child like Human couples have and read "Bob & Margaret" once again to work out how, they then use the Love-Love Beam to give birth to their Baby Buu.

And that, my friend, is how the Majin race was born. Yikes.

Frieza Race:

They couldn't come up with a creative name for this race (or anything else in this series, but that's another topic altogether) so they settled on "Frieza Race," as Frieza was the first member of this race that we met. I guess that's not technically wrong, but it's not really a name, either... regardless, it turns out Frieza was just a particularly bad seed. The rest of his people are just like anyone else: they come in shades of grey. And they're really strong and can transform a lot. That's kinda different, I guess.

They have high movement speed, with lower attack power than the other races. To compensate, their movement speed increases when their health drops below 50 percent. They also have the ability to use a beam that paralyzes opponents.

The best way to describe the Frieza race is to say that they offer a runaway play style. Their increased movement speed gives them the ability to move in, use a few fast attacks, then quickly escape before an opponent can effectively counterattack. This should only be your first race if you feel you're a skilled player. Lower attack power will make it more difficult to score KOs, and it's possible that the increased speed will make it more difficult for lesser-skilled players to control their characters. However, the paralyzing beam will allow for big attacks, especially when you're playing teams instead of one-on-one.

Once you've chosen your race, you can start playing the game proper. Xenoverse is a quest based game. You can take on Main quests to advance the story, although there are other modes, as well:

Parallel quests: Replay events from the Dragon Ball timeline with different conditions and characters. You will be rewarded with skills, items and more. Parallel quests feature new quests, as well as remastered versions of quests from Xenoverse 1.

Endless: Fight until you can't fight anymore! May the best fighter win!

No-Level matches: Play without stats. Players will be able to verse based on skill with no level advantages. This mode allows the removal of the timer.

Giant-boss mode: Players face giant bosses such as Great Ape Vegeta. May be played with up to six players.

World Tournament: Fairly self-explanatory. Challenge the world to see who is the strongest!

Training Mode: git gud

Raid Boss Battles: Players fight against bosses such as Broly, Turles, Majin Vegeta, and Golden Frieza. Up to six players.

The RNG problems from the first game have apparently been addressed, and the game is much less reliant on this controversial mechanic.

The game is always online, and you are able to see and interact with other players throughout Conton City. Battles aren't always one-on-one; in fact, they often involve many more players, with four or more combatants on screen at one time. The AI has been vastly improved from the first game, and you can team up with other, human players as well. The battles themselves I would describe as "arena-based": they take place in an open, three dimensional field, and you are able to freely move in any direction as you try to pummel or blast your opponent into oblivion. The battle arenas are quite large, so as to accommodate the high number of players that are often on screen simultaneously. In Online Mode, up to six players can be on the same team.

You're probably wondering: what characters are actually in the game? The roster from the first game returns, with some new additions. Characters from the movies and TV specials have been added, such as Future Gohan and Lord Slug, and even characters from Super have found their way into the mix!*

The roster is as follows:

Goku (Base, Kaio-ken, Kaio-ken x3, Kaio-ken x20, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3)
Goku (Super Saiyan God)
Goku (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan)
Goku (GT) (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3)
Goku (Super Saiyan 4)
Gohan (Kid)
Gohan (Teen) (Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2)
Gohan (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Potential Unleashed)
Gohan (Resurrection F Tracksuit)
Great Saiyaman (Base, Super Saiyan)
Future Gohan (Base, Future Super Saiyan)
Pan
Piccolo
Krillin (Base, Kaio-ken)
Yamcha (Base, Kaio-ken)
Yamcha (Dark Magic transformed)
Tien Shinhan
Vegeta (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2)
Majin Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan)
Vegeta (Super Saiyan 4)
Future Trunks (Base, Future Super Saiyan)
Future Trunks (Super) (Base, Super Saiyan 2) (Early Access/DLC)
Bardock (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3)
Masked Saiyan
Trunks (Kid) (Base, Super Saiyan)
Trunks (GT) (Base, Super Saiyan)
Goten (Base, Super Saiyan)
Gotenks (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3)
Vegito (Base, Super Saiyan)
Gogeta (Super Saiyan)
Gogeta (Super Saiyan 4)
Hercule
Videl
Great Saiyaman 2
Raditz
Nappa
Saibaman
Nail
Zarbon
Dodoria
Appule
Raspberry
Guldo
Recoome
Burter
Jeice
Captain Ginyu
Frieza (First Form)
Frieza (Final Form)
Frieza (Full Power)
Golden Frieza
Golden Frieza (Dark Magic Transformed)
Lord Slug
Turles
Cooler (Fourth Form)
Cooler (Final Form)
Metal Cooler
Metal Cooler (Dark Magic Transformed)
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Cell (Imperfect Form)
Cell (Perfect Form)
Cell (Super Perfect Form)
Cell (Super Perfect Form) (Dark Magic Transformed)
Cell Jr
Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)
Broly (Dark Magic transformed)
Majin Buu
Super Buu
Kid Buu
Kid Buu (Dark Magic transformed)
Janemba
Janemba (Dark Magic transformed)
Jaco
Mira
Mira (Dark Magic transformed)
Towa
Beerus
Whis
Super 17
Eis Shenron
Nuova Shenron
Omega Shenron
Omega Shenron (Dark Magic transformed)
Future Warrior
Earthling (Base, Kaio-ken, Power Pole Pro, Potential Unleashed)
Saiyan (Base, Kaio-ken, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Super Vegeta, Super Vegeta 2, Future Super Saiyan, Potential Unleashed)
Namekian (Base, Kaio-ken, Become Giant, Potential Unleashed)
Frieza Race (Base, Kaio-ken, Turn Golden, Potential Unleashed)
Majin (Base, Kaio-ken, Purification, Potential Unleashed)
Hit
Goku Black (Pre-order Bonus/DLC)
Frost (Final Form) (DLC)
Cabba (Base, Super Saiyan) (DLC)

*Super characters, other than Hit, are only available as pre-order bonuses or DLC. Yes, that is somewhat disappointing, but at the same time, we should be thankful that we got them in the game at all. The first three characters in the game are Hit (available to everyone), Goku Black (Pre-order early access/DLC), and Bluper Trunks (Future Trunks with blue hair from Super, pre-order early access/DLC).

Overall, impressions have been positive, and the game is apparently a marked improvement over its predecessor.

If you're just getting back into Dragon Ball and have no idea what the Super content is all about, I highly suggest checking out NeoGAF's own Super thread and catching up with the series. The series is currently in the middle of a story arc featuring the return of Future Trunks, who faces a terrible new enemy - a sadistic, powerful foe who looks exactly like Goku! Who is Goku Black? Tune in to Dragon Ball Super to find out!

The game comes in several editions. There's a ton, so here's the one with all the bells and whistles - the others have different variants of "less stuff" that come with them.

Day One Edition:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 game
Pre-Order Bonus (Goku Black and Tao Pai Pai Stick Vehicle)
Super Saiyan Goku Keychain (Gamestop exclusive to PowerUp Rewards Pro members)

Mini Figure Bundle:

Funko Pop glow in the dark Super Saiyan Goku mini figure
Pre-order bonus

Deluxe Edition:

Season Pass
Early Access to playable Character Future Trunks (Dragon Ball Super)
Pre-Order Bonus

Mini Figure Deluxe Edition:

Season Pass
Funko Pop glow in the dark Super Saiyan Goku mini figure
Early access to Playable Character Future Trunks (Super)
Pre-Order Bonus
Super Sayain Goku Keychain (Gamestop exclusive to PowerUp Rewards Pro members)

Collector's Edition (America):

Exclusive Steelbook Case
Time Patroller's Guide Artbook
Official Music Soundtrack
Son Goku Master Stars Piece 13in Height Figure
Pre-Order Bonus

Collector's Edition (Europe):

Exclusive box design with metal Shenron
Time Patroller's Guide Artbook
Son Goku Master Stars Piece 34 cm Height Figure
Pre-Order Bonus

Some information in this topic was taken from Wikipedia, Prima Games, and the Dragon Ball wiki.

See you in two days!

kubus

Can the game be played offline at all?

Reason I'm asking is, I live in a dorm and there's a shared game room with a PS4 but there's no internet there. Would love to play this game with some of my friends as everyone here grew up with DBZ but without an internet connection I'm not sure how fun it will be... or if it is even possible in the first place.

Snaku

Banned
Wasn't planning on picking this up at launch but the hype of Superlaunching on CR got me. Been forever since I played the first game, and I never really sunk too much time into that one, so hopefully XV2 won't feel too samey.

Just cancelled my collectors edition for the regular version. I want the statue so bad but there's too many games to get this month.

I couldn't even play the beta because it won't let me connect after trying more than 10+ times. Doubt I would wanna risk paying $60 for this type of bullshit.

This type of game should never have that server bullshit! Let me choose what I want! This is stupid!

Can the game be played offline at all?

Reason I'm asking is, I live in a dorm and there's a shared game room with a PS4 but there's no internet there. Would love to play this game with some of my friends as everyone here grew up with DBZ but without an internet connection I'm not sure how fun it will be... or if it is even possible in the first place.

Yes, it can.

alpha69

Hyped for this but I hope it's not like the beta where I had to connect to the servers constantly and get kicked out if I don't for playing offline mode.

That would be so annoying. I want 100% no connecting to servers when I want to just play offline mode. 1 time connecting would be ok but would still be annoying. I have 0 interest playing online.

Kalentan

When's the embargo up? The only thing I'm worried about is I watching the TeamFourStar video on the beta and while there are changes... They literally used the same cutscenes/animations for some of the missions which makes me fear the story will basically be Xenoverse 1 with just some changes.

Vex_

Banned
So custom golden frieza are confirmed strongest out of all CaCs ???

Because there isnt a race that can match that.

kubus

Yes, it can.
:eek: Do you know if any of the game modes is locked behind online? I haven't played the first game so I don't really know how the game is designed. If we can play through the story mode or something that would be nice at least.

Thanks for the info so far!

:eek: Do you know if any of the game modes is locked behind online? I haven't played the first game so I don't really know how the game is designed. If we can play through the story mode or something that would be nice at least.

Thanks for the info so far!

You just get AI partners in offline mode. The only mode restricted to online is World Tournament.

I am here for the Team Four Star play through.

As a sidenote, three of the male voice options are members of the DBZ Abridged crew - voice 8 is once again Takahata101 as in XV1. Voice 12 is Kaiserneko, who voices Future Trunks and edits DBZA, and voice 15 is Lanipator, who voices Vegeta, Krillain, Piccolo, Mr. Popo and a few others.

So will the pre-order incentive characters be forever locked behind preordering like SSJ4 Vegeta was in the first game? If so, which version will guarantee me all pre-order characters?

I honestly want to wait until this game goes on sale before buying it but I'm not going to risk my ability to play certain characters.

Also, what exactly transfers over with your Xenoverse 1 save? I'm gonna be buying X2 on PC this time around and my character from X1 isn't very developed compared to my console characters.

KHlover

Banned
Random Trivia:

"Bob and Margaret" (mentioned in the Boo race section) is the book that Roshi used to teach Goku reading waaaaaay back in Volume 3 of Dragon Ball.

NZerker12

Already have Deluxe edition preordered for PC (£47.50 is a steal considering its going for £60 to £75 everywhere else).

I'm hoping the second game is as easy to mod as the firstand mods from the first work here. I was able to change the graphics to raging blast style and was able to mod in the following characters:

Frieza (2nd Form, 3rd Form)
Imperfect Cell
Semi-Perfect Cell
Future Gohan (base, SSJ)
Trunks Super (Base, SSJ2)
Cooler (Final Form)
Buutenks
Buuhan
Goku Black
Gogeta (Super Saiyan)

Lagamorph

Really wish they were doing a PC special/collectors edition rather than just console.

Ah well, I'll be in on Day One in PC for the game and Season Pass. Deluxe Edition key for £47.99 on cdkeys so couldn't say no.
Plus I loved the DLC for the first game.

NZerker12

Really wish they were doing a PC special/collectors edition rather than just console.

Ah well, I'll be in on Day One in PC for the game and Season Pass. Deluxe Edition key for £47.99 on cdkeys so couldn't say no.
Plus I loved the DLC for the first game.

If you get it from Gamesplanet and join the STEAM Uncut group you can get 5% discount on the game which brings it down to £47.50 and you get the day 1 dlc as I don't think CD Keys has the DLC.

OMG Aero

So if you create a Majin or a Freiza character how does the transformation work? Does your character just change colour or something or do you get to customize what your transformation looks like?

J4g3r

So if you create a Majin or a Freiza character how does the transformation work? Does your character just change colour or something or do you get to customize what your transformation looks like?

From a video that I saw, the Golden transformation for the Frieza race is limited to gold/purple.

Not 100% sure but for the Majin, I think it's just a kid transformation. Don't quote me on that though.

From a video that I saw, the Golden transformation for the Frieza race is limited to gold/purple.

Not 100% sure but for the Majin, I think it's just a kid transformation. Don't quote me on that though.

for majins you just turn into kid buu

the skin colour for your majin stays the same but you get kid buu moveset

Lagamorph

If you get it from Gamesplanet and join the STEAM Uncut group you can get 5% discount on the game which brings it down to £47.50 and you get the day 1 dlc as I don't think CD Keys has the DLC.
Damn, wish I'd seen that before.
I don't think cdkeys let you cancel a pre-order, my status already shows complete. But you're right that they don't mention the pre-order bonus.
I did order the Deluxe edition though which the OP says includes the pre-order bonus...

Arse....wonder if I've just done myself out of the pre-order bonus....

NZerker12

Damn, wish I'd seen that before.
I don't think cdkeys let you cancel a pre-order, my status already shows complete. But you're right that they don't mention the pre-order bonus.
I did order the Deluxe edition though which the OP says includes the pre-order bonus...

Arse....wonder if I've just done myself out of the pre-order bonus....

Fortunately you can get Black at a later time but you would have to pay for him though. I wouldn't worry too much the preorder Black isn't that good anyway as it is believed we will get the proper Black with SSJ Rose in the season pass.

Lagamorph

Fortunately you can get Black at a later time but you would have to pay for him though. I wouldn't worry too much the preorder Black isn't that good anyway as it is believed we will get the proper Black with SSJ Rose in the season pass.
Looking on cdkeys they do let you cancel, even though they've already taken the money through PayPal they just refund it. I'll raise a support ticket for a refund and order through gamesplanet instead.
I could've kicked up a fuss anyway with UK consumer rights and the fact they haven't even provided a key yet.

Can't believe I forgot about them. That's where I got the first Xenoverse from!

ViciousDS

Banned
Cool......best buy shipped early again. Get my copy tomorrow already instead of Tuesday

Best buy have been on a roll lately with giving games early lol.

Karak

Man. I was so excited to review this and having a ton of issues with my preview/review code. God damn. Strangely was more excited for this than some of the bigger titles.

NandoGip

Spent a few hours yesterday calling stores in my area to see if theyd sell it to me early... no luck -_-

I gave up and just bought it on the Xbox store. At least I have it preloaded for Tuesday.

Anyone else playing on X1?

McNum

Since the game isn't quite out yet, this is the last chance to change up what skills you want to transfer if you played the first Xenoverse as you can pick one character from that to star as the hero of the last game during the story missions. You also get the skills and outfit that character had equipped, with a few exceptions. None of the transformation skills will transfer, for instance, since that works differently now.

This works, as far as I can tell, PC to PC, PS3 to PS4, PS4 to PS4, 360 to Xbox One, and Xbox One to Xbox One.

With that in mind, think about what skills you'd like to have access to early on. I suggest taking some utility skills. I'm taking over Save the Future (counters ki attacks) and Maximum Charge, which is the fastest ki charge, for instance. Instant Transmission might be good, too, if you have it.

Top Bottom