• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

It's a 2D platforming adventure game that plays a lot like Metroid but more story-driven. Your character shoots with a variety of guns, you explore the environment for power-ups and secrets, and there's challenging boss fights.

Ha, you're the same as me. I just got a Switch and looking for something else play, and I got this on the recommendation of this thread.

I only gave it a test run of about 30 minutes, it was fun so far! Looking forward to getting more into next week

Hot damn, sounds like a winner! Thanks for the info/feedback gents!

Stencil

Do y'all think the physical version will be scarce? Should I jump on it now while I have the chance? Or wait for used prices to come down?

Do y'all think the physical version will be scarce? Should I jump on it now while I have the chance? Or wait for used prices to come down?

Physical for cave story is likely to become fairly rare, especially the first print run with the instruction manual and music cd.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cool. I beat
Ballos
. Wasn't absurdly difficult, but it was definitely a satisfying challenge. I could've done it without the life pot without too much struggle, I think, but I'm glad I had it on-hand.

What a great fucking game. I wish there were more like it.

Opa-Pa

Cool. I beat
Ballos
. Wasn't absurdly difficult, but it was definitely a satisfying challenge. I could've done it without the life pot without too much struggle, I think, but I'm glad I had it on-hand.

What a great fucking game. I wish there were more like it.

Congrats man! Yeah it isn't impossible but having the life pot gives you a much needed sense of security. Beating Cave Story is tough because it's so special... I've been waiting fot a prequel for like 15 years :(

It's not really the same, but you should check out the Wind Fortress challenge. I'm not sure how you unlock it in this version, but it's based off a scrapped stage that didn't make it to the final game and it's pretty fun and the music is beautiful.

Danny Dudekisser

Congrats man! Yeah it isn't impossible but having the life pot gives you a much needed sense of security. Beating Cave Story is tough because it's so special... I've been waiting fot a prequel for like 15 years :(

It's not really the same, but you should check out the Wind Fortress challenge. I'm not sure how you unlock it in this version, but it's based off a scrapped stage that didn't make it to the final game and it's pretty fun and the music is beautiful.

Yeah, I'll check out the challenges tonight. I'm not ready to stop playing this game :(

Best music in the game is the Remastered is the waterway theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WyKoUVWQc&list=PL6PHQCxAqpJRdygu_PBTa_iUBmDfppwgz&index=19

I could listen to that shit for hours.

robot

Playing through this with the NES30 pad in kickstand mode has been one of my highlights of owning this system.

rabhw

Having a hard time with the last cave (hidden)....Can get to the mini boss but usually with only enough hp to withstand 1 hit and I always choke haha...

What's a normal amount of hp to have at this point in the game? I have 47 and I feel like I've found quite a few life capsules, but I'd be willing to go back for more if it would help me pass this part.

Also I got the machine gun, am I screwed for the last boss?

Having a hard time with the last cave (hidden)....Can get to the mini boss but usually with only enough hp to withstand 1 hit and I always choke haha...

What's a normal amount of hp to have at this point in the game? I have 47 and I feel like I've found quite a few life capsules, but I'd be willing to go back for more if it would help me pass this part.

Also I got the machine gun, am I screwed for the last boss?

Think 50 is the max before tackling true end.

Seik

Banned
Just finished it, my second run went lightning fast and this time I kept the Life Pot all the way.

This game is one of my favorite discoveries of 2017...a 2004 game, of all things. :lol
UQD7W4n.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

Just finished it, my second run went lightning fast and this time I kept the Life Pot all the way.

This game is one of my favorite discoveries of 2017...a 2004 game, of all things. :lol

I know the feeling -- I didn't get what the big deal was when I played this back in 2010. Now, I'm just fucking obsessed with it. It's sooooo fucking good.

Sooooooo Hard mode is impossible to beat without a rom hack right? There's no way you can get through the sanctuary with just 3 hearts lol. One hit from anything and you're dead

Danny Dudekisser

Lol, just decided to run through that last segment again. Ay yo, last boss is a punk bitch now. I didn't even need that healing pot.

Opa-Pa

You guys, seeing new fans fall in love with this game is the best. It's one of my favorite games and so special for me.

This is making me reconsider my Hard run... Yeah, I'll try again once I'm done with Normal and maybe Curly mode.

Lol, just decided to run through that last segment again. Ay yo, last boss is a punk bitch now. I didn't even need that healing pot.

Hell yeah, that feeling is great. I can consistently beat the sanctuary in like 9 minutes (I take my time) which is crazy looking back at how I failed miserably so many times at first. The challenge is super fun.

Danny Dudekisser

You guys, seeing new fans fall in love with this game is the best. It's one of my favorite games and so special for me.

This is making me reconsider my Hard run... Yeah, I'll try again once I'm done with Normal and maybe Curly mode.

Hell yeah, that feeling is great. I can consistently beat the sanctuary in like 9 minutes (I take my time) which is crazy looking back at how I failed miserably so many times at first. The challenge is super fun.

Yep. And I just ran through the boss rush mode and blew through all of them fools. I didn't realize there were so damn many bosses in this game. Phew.

Busaiku

By the Gods, Spur made everything so much easier.
I ended
Undead Core
with more health than I had going in.
And I've got my Life Pot to spare.

Now I feel much better about
Ballos

Seik

Banned
So yeah after having the best ending I thought "Why can't I play Curly Mode?!"

*Looks online*

oh. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Danny Dudekisser

Right now, I'm playing through Curly Mode... because, why not play through this a 4th time? Uhm... but yeah, I should probably take a break after that.

Opa-Pa

Rushed up to Sand Zone to unlock Curly mode as soon as possible, changed the month to October on settings, and yes, this is the good stuff:

DDOx8iTUMAAO40S

Tailzo

Getting this for Switch, I never played through it before, I only tried it for PC years ago. But I'm hungry for a Metroidvania game, and I feel this is the time to finally dig into it.

sheaaaa

The soundtracks are a bit confusing.

Remastered is the Cave Story 3D soundtrack.
Cave Story + is the original soundtrack?
What about the other two?

SeppOCE

Just caved and imported this for about 57 AUD. Play asia had it cheaper but it could take a month for it to arrive and usually when I buy things from them it takes a long time. I wanna collect for the Switch and I missed out on the first print Binding of Isaac so I had to make sure I get the manual and the CD for this one. With no news of an Aussie release importing it was the next best thing. Can't wait to experience this game for the first time!

sheaaaa

The original PC soundtrack, and the other is a soundtrack remastered using the Famicom's sound system.

So Cave Story + is the soundtrack that was made specifically for that version of the game, and the freeware soundtrack is in this too?'

Edit: Found the answer courtesy of USgamer! Organya (the original), Famitracks (a sorta-enhanced version of the original), Cave Story+ (of the PC update), Remastered (of Cave Story 3D)

chronomac

Just finished the game (during a flight to Atlanta no less) and I just want to confirm
that after you beat it you don't unlock anything and the game just keeps your last save, right? Last save for me was that pre-fab house before Misery. My ending had me falling and getting saved by Kazama and a green dragon. Another thing: did I miss any save points between Misery, Doctor and the Core? Kinda messed up they make you go through all that without a break.

Side note: I used the extra health pack earlier on in the game, like a dumbass.

BizzyBum

How do you unlock some of the main menu options that are ???

I'm missing the one below Story Mode and then in Challenges I'm missing 1, 3, 4, 5. I'm also missing some jukebox tracks.

thefulldarby1

Neo Member
Here's how to unlock the challenges:

Three of them are only unlocked once you beat the Blood Stained Sanctuary and the true final boss. Machine Gun challenge is unlocked once you unlock Curly. Sand Zone is unlocked once you reach the Sand Zone. Nemesis challenge is unlocked if you get the Nemesis.

To`answer a few other questions:

1. Yes, there are no save points between
the start of the Blood Stained Sanctuary and the final boss. If you got the life pot from Jenka though you can use that to help prolong your life.

2. Easy mode
does unlock challenges and the true ending. I did it myself since I can never beat the Blood Stained Sanctuary on normal.

3. The last three jukebox tracks
are unlocked with the corresponding challenges (since these tracks only play during the challenges)

Good luck everyone; this game is a masterpiece and I'm loving the switch version. The quality of life enhancements they made are awesome and the graphics, while only slightly upgraded, look great on the switch.

Hylian7

Best version of Cave Story confirmed. Seriously every time I thought of playing the game again before this version, I thought of the Sand Zone and how much I hate that part of the game because you have to keep running back and forth for the stupid dogs.

Crayolan

Just finished the game (during a flight to Atlanta no less) and I just want to confirm
that after you beat it you don't unlock anything and the game just keeps your last save, right? Last save for me was that pre-fab house before Misery. My ending had me falling and getting saved by Kazama and a green dragon. Another thing: did I miss any save points between Misery, Doctor and the Core? Kinda messed up they make you go through all that without a break.

Side note: I used the extra health pack earlier on in the game, like a dumbass.

Correct, there
are no save points during the final boss rush.

How do you unlock some of the main menu options that are ???

I'm missing the one below Story Mode and then in Challenges I'm missing 1, 3, 4, 5. I'm also missing some jukebox tracks.

Beating the game with the normal ending unlocks nothing.

I'm not sure if there are any new extras in this game, but based on the CS+ Steam version the unlock requirements should be:

Machine Gun Challenge-Get the Machine Gun
Nemesis Challenge-Get the Nemesis
Curly Story-Find Curly's Panties
Boss Rush-Beat the game with the true ending
Sanctuary Time Attack-Beat the game with the true ending
Wind Fortress-Beat the game with the true ending

Danny Dudekisser

Correct, there
are no save points during the final boss rush.

Beating the game with the normal ending unlocks nothing.

I'm not sure if there are any new extras in this game, but based on the CS+ Steam version the unlock requirements should be:

Machine Gun Challenge-Get the Machine Gun
Nemesis Challenge-Get the Nemesis
Curly Story-Find Curly's Panties
Boss Rush-Beat the game with the true ending
Sanctuary Time Attack-Beat the game with the true ending
Wind Fortress-Beat the game with the true ending

I never got the
machine gun
in this version, and the
machine gun challenge
still unlocked after I got
Curly's pantsu

Jeff-DSA

Picked it up at lunch. This game has been in my pile of shame for a decade now. Can't wait to go all in on it over the coming week.

ghibli99

I don't remember jumping being this floaty, but it has been years since I last played it. It's otherwise beautiful, and again, the physical version is terrific.

Busaiku

By the Gods, I finally did it.
It took me like 10 hours just to get that last sequence down.

My right thumb is crying.

Top Bottom