• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEFORMERS is Rolling in April 21ST 2017

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Are the Founder's pack skins completely exclusive? I don't like supporting games with lost forever content for latecomers.

The Founder's Pack forms will be in the release game and will be available to anyone - the difference is that if you log in during the first week they will be immediately unlocked for you, as opposed to having to unlock them by using Strands you earn by playing, as part of the normal unlocking progression.

Andrea Pessino

New beta is going live right now - we are running a bit late (what else is new ;) ) but it should be up as we speak. If you get a "user authentication error" when you login it menas you are running an old build. Restart Steam or use "local files/verify integrity of local files" to force Steam to update.

Many changes in the new build server and service side - plus:

- Quickchat; you can use it anywhere from the moment you get into a lobby. On keyboard the default key is C then use the mouse to pick category/message. With controllers press and hold the right stick button for a short while (so it does not show up easily in game if you press the stick by accident), then two moves in a direction to choose. To cancel just press C or RS button again.

- Borderless full screen is in, also alt+enter behavior should be much improved.

- We now give you the option to restrict team sizes when joining team games - any is the old behavior, otherwise if you prefer to only play 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 you have the option to choose so. This is an experimental change, we'll see if people prefer it and it does not affect matchmaking times too much

Come join us! :)

Lebneney

Banned
New beta is going live right now - we are running a bit late (what else is new ;) ) but it should be up as we speak. If you get a "user authentication error" when you login it menas you are running an old build. Restart Steam or use "local files/verify integrity of local files" to force Steam to update.

Many changes in the new build server and service side - plus:

- Quickchat; you can use it anywhere from the moment you get into a lobby. On keyboard the default key is C then use the mouse to pick category/message. With controllers press and hold the right stick button for a short while (so it does not show up easily in game if you press the stick by accident), then two moves in a direction to choose. To cancel just press C or RS button again.

- Borderless full screen is in, also alt+enter behavior should be much improved.

- We now give you the option to restrict team sizes when joining team games - any is the old behavior, otherwise if you prefer to only play 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 you have the option to choose so. This is an experimental change, we'll see if people prefer it and it does not affect matchmaking times too much

Come join us! :)

Looking forward to trying this out! Thanks for the heads up. :D

vivekTO

I am getting this error constantly and sometimes it just freezes at Splash screen, I have updated the version , i think its about 750 mb. Anyone else having the Issue??
Code:
[IMG]http://imgur.com/Pz5Au0F.png[/IMG]

Other games are running fine!!

Gowans

its weird the price is wrong o the uk xbox store £29.99, it was previously listed as £23.99 the same as steam.

Andrea Pessino

I am getting this error constantly and sometimes it just freezes at Splash screen, I have updated the version , i think its about 750 mb. Anyone else having the Issue??
Code:
[IMG]http://imgur.com/Pz5Au0F.png[/IMG]

Other games are running fine!!

The only hardware related thing that has changed from last beta is that the game now goes into borderless full screen by default. It is a LOT more convenient than "actual" full screen in Windows, but it does add a definite performance penalty. Try switching to either windowed mode or full screen in options, see if that solves the issue.

We have support for "resolution scaling" in borderless full screen already, which allows you to scale the internal rendering resolution in borderless while still outputting to full screen - this is very important for people running high DPI monitors or laptops, which tend to have crazy high resolution and video cards not quite up tot he task. :) Resolution scaling will be in the next build - like I said we have support for it already in engine but we have not exposed the option in settings yet.

Orca

Can't start the game because it can't find the service... Not a great first impression as I didn't realize it would be online-only.

2017-04-20_10-28-07_p64k6n.png

Dear Deformers devs,

Please make all text larger and more noticeable on consoles. Especially the 'press square to be ready,' the title screen announcements box, and other little UI things. Thank you!

Sincerely,
A Glasses Wearer

Not sure if it still works but if you have a PUR account on gamestop (doesn't need to be PUR Pro, regular PUR is fine) you can get a free copy of deformers
https://www.powerupbonus.com/DigitalCode

enter code DEFORMERSGAME in the third field, your email address in the first, and you can leave second one (phone) blank. It worked for me earlier today, on my single gamestop account I was able to get both the PS4 and PC codes and redeemed them (xbox not available i guess).

Not really sure WHY gamestop is giving away thousands of copies though

Orca

No tutorial at all. I feel bad for the people I played with who had to put up with me shooting myself off the world trying to figure out what did what. Go to the options and check the controller layout before you play.

Just dumb not having any kind of 'hey check this out' lesson before throwing people into playing with others.

BHK3

Banned
So I get into a full lobby and...nothing happens...

Go to main menu, try again, it can't find or create a game...

Disconnected from service, have to wait 20 seconds for any sort of menu to appear

And...no tutorial for such a unique game?

Hip Hop

Game is dead on arrival.

Gamestop giving it out for free, steep price for those that don't know about that, and in-app purchases.

Not a good look for Ready At Dawn

DeaDPo0L84

Got this free through the glitch (sorry!) and enjoyed the couple of tdm matches but domt see where this game finds its legs. I dont see the crowd out there thats willing to drop $30 on a somewhat bare bones game with customization locked behind a grindish paywall that requires you be online all the time. I was tempted to try the soccer mode but it feels too close to a rocket league clone and a terrible one at that. I can see where theres fun to be had but im not sure where or how they expect to attract a hardcore audience that will keep this game financially stable for the expected or desired duration,

edit:and the servers werent working tonight when me and a friend got home to play so yea.

ron_bato

I was interested in the game as it looks a lot of fun. It certainly drew the attention of my wife, who thought it would be fun to play this together (her attention was drawn immediately to pugglesworth :D).

Unfortunately, no servers in Asia mean no buy from me. Maybe one day when they put up servers in Asia, I may decide to purchase. But it sucks that they're selling this in my country when there are no servers in Asia at all.

Spy

I enjoy the game but agree with all of the criticisms thus far. I can't complain because I got it for free but it's pretty scummy the rate at which you earn credits, especially for a $30 game. It's slower than some free to play games out there.

NeoRaider

Not sure if it still works but if you have a PUR account on gamestop (doesn't need to be PUR Pro, regular PUR is fine) you can get a free copy of deformers
https://www.powerupbonus.com/DigitalCode

enter code DEFORMERSGAME in the third field, your email address in the first, and you can leave second one (phone) blank. It worked for me earlier today, on my single gamestop account I was able to get both the PS4 and PC codes and redeemed them (xbox not available i guess).

Not really sure WHY gamestop is giving away thousands of copies though

Bad pre-order numbers?
To increase number of players at launch. Yesterday was the first time i heard of this game, and it was because of this giveaway. But couldn't get the key. :(

Orca

Tempted to do my first 'request a refund' on this one. Puts me in a bad spot, because there's no tutorial so I only have a 2 hour time limit to try and learn the game, get in some matches and see if the game'll actually be fun enough to warrant keeping.

Glasshole

Banned
Game is dead on arrival.

Gamestop giving it out for free, steep price for those that don't know about that, and in-app purchases.

Not a good look for Ready At Dawn

Sadly, I completely agree. Participated in the Beta due to some people comparing it to Smash Bros (lol) and played it with Controller, Steam Controller and Mouse & Keyboard.

Has some fun aspects, cute character design, but did not click with me at all. I could see myself hitting it up every now and then if it was free to play or 5-10 bucks, but the current price of 29.99 is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering it has in-app purchases. If I'm not completely mistaken, it's even more expensive than Rocket League, which, how or why did that seem like a good idea, considering it's miles ahead in content, too.

It's a shame, there might be a niche for this game for some people, but this way it's just a guaranteed, swift death.

Tempted to do my first 'request a refund' on this one. Puts me in a bad spot, because there's no tutorial so I only have a 2 hour time limit to try and learn the game, get in some matches and see if the game'll actually be fun enough to warrant keeping.

Refund, and ask a GAF member for a key. Why should you pay for this game if they're giving it away for free?

Orca

Refund, and ask a GAF member for a key. Why should you pay for this game if they're giving it away for free?

Got it on Xbox One, and haven't seen any free key things for that.

I really wanted this for the kids since they think the character editor looked hilarious. The characters ARE great, but you start with none of the ones they highlighted in the trailers and absolutely nothing unlocked for customization. The unlock rate is pathetic, so there's really no point having this for them as they'll never really be able to go in and play with the characters like they wanted.

agc

I've had a lot of fun the few matches I've been able to do, but it's never been a full game :( I hope it picks up because I'm really enjoying it.

The GameStop thing was only PS4 and PC codes as far as I know.

Tried to give this game a shot. First time it couldn't connect to servers. I reset my PS4 and the second time it couldn't find servers. That's all the time I'm giving it. Way too many great games in my backlog to waste time trying to get this game to even work.

Zukkoyaki

I really wanted this for the kids since they think the character editor looked hilarious. The characters ARE great, but you start with none of the ones they highlighted in the trailers and absolutely nothing unlocked for customization. The unlock rate is pathetic, so there's really no point having this for them as they'll never really be able to go in and play with the characters like they wanted.

That sounds absolutely dreadful. Unlockable characters have been a staple of multiplayer games for decades but being THAT limited is a shame.

I downloaded this and haven't played it yet. Still curious because the gameplay looks fun but this thread is killing a lot of my enthusiasm. Sounds like it has some serious quality of life issues.

No tutorial at all. I feel bad for the people I played with who had to put up with me shooting myself off the world trying to figure out what did what. Go to the options and check the controller layout before you play.

Just dumb not having any kind of 'hey check this out' lesson before throwing people into playing with others.

I agree with this. They have a pretty good video on their YouTube channel that should have been in the game if they didn't want to make a tutorial.

Game is pretty fun though I think! Just need a few more games to feel like I really know what I'm doing, partly thanks to no tutorial.

Also I don't think the unlock rate is that bad. It feels on par with Overwatch in frequency so far except you get to choose what you unlock.

Dynomutt

I agree with this. They have a pretty good video on their YouTube channel that should have been in the game if they didn't want to make a tutorial.

Game is pretty fun though I think! Just need a few more games to feel like I really know what I'm doing, partly thanks to no tutorial.

Also I don't think the unlock rate is that bad. It feels on par with Overwatch in frequency so far except you get to choose what you unlock.

For real...

Kind of feel like I wasted my code lol will try a few more matches!

KrebStar

The Deformers University videos they have up on youtube should really be in the game, as they are extremely helpful for understanding how to play. The first match I played before seeking out those videos was probably the most lost I've felt in a game in years. Really enjoying the game now that I've got the hang of it.

Now if only I could buy some Madballs skins.

Andrea Pessino

Sorry about the issues :( we are working as quickly as possible to fix them. There are still periodic interruptions that are annoying and unfortunate. We are making progress but it is taking a while to stabilize across all platforms.

As for the progression speed, it is not supposed to be this slow. Unfortunately the "leaver penalty" system kept kicking in because of the various connection issues. The rate at which you are supposed to earn is a lot more generous.

We have disabled the penalties for now, while we continue to fix the outstanding issues. Hopefully we'll have everything running smoothly soon. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry about the issues :( we are working as quickly as possible to fix them. There are still periodic interruptions that are annoying and unfortunate. We are making progress but it is taking a while to stabilize across all platforms.

Is there a reason why the game isnt available in China over Steam?

Zukkoyaki

As for the progression speed, it is not supposed to be this slow. Unfortunately the "leaver penalty" system kept kicking in because of the various connection issues. The rate at which you are supposed to earn is a lot more generous.

We have disabled the penalties for now, while we continue to fix the outstanding issues. Hopefully we'll have everything running smoothly soon. Very sorry for the inconvenience.
Appreciate the post! Looking forward to checking it more now :)

ocean

Banned
I always find it weird how often people bemoan online requirements.

Like are there really that many people on GAF whose consoles aren't connected to the internet? In 2017?

Tygamr

Like are there really that many people on GAF whose consoles aren't connected to the internet? In 2017?

I mean, if you wanna play splitscreen with people and the servers aren't working...

Just finished 2 games of 8 player deathmatch online.

The price of the game is suspect, but the content that you do get is bloody fantastic.

Had an amazing time zipping around the level as an armadillo.

The bouncer ability is hilarious. Highly recommended game.

(played on PS4 pro)

Longevity. I collect so paying $30 for a disc that might become a coaster is cause for concern. I had to throw my MAG disc in the recycling because of that.

Still bought the CE, game looks awesome. Can't wait to play it after work.

BHK3

Banned
Played 1 game and it froze halfway through

Got into a lobby and it froze again

Finished a 3rd game

4th game was a 1v1, halfway through I was disconnected from the service(or maybe the guy left and I get 0 exp or rewards)

Like I actually wanna play this but...I'm about to unistall it...it wouldnt connect AT ALL last night either

So, this game plays like a charge rifle in a sci fi shooter. You hold down the trigger, aim and when you let go, it fires.

I'll be honest, I hate charge rifles. Is the game any deeper than that?

I played this via Steam when it had a free week earlier and found it ran horribly on my low end machine which can normally play modern titles at lower settings.

Orca

It's pretty bullshit when the servers aren't up or don't work, and you can't kill time playing same screen or edit characters or really do a single fucking thing at all.

Hmu4TA1.png

It won't even let me request a refund. I can request a refund on Cities Skyline, Dishonored 2, and Oceanhorn...but not this game.

Top Bottom