• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

snoopeasystreet said:
I wish they killed off more characters. They should have went full blown
Reach
towards the end.
You might want to spoiler tag that.

People enter this thread expecting spoilers for one game, not any others.

Whoa, I never played Gears 1 and got to the end of Gears 2 but never got around to finishing it.......

Gears 3 was AWESOME, I actually wanted to keep playing whereas in Gears 2 I kept getting bored........

But now I feel like I should finish 2 and maaaybe play 1 to get a better idea of the entire Gears story

I really wanted to hear what the Queen had to say, I guess that will come out in another game?

Fallacy

Neo Member
_dementia said:
You might want to spoiler tag that.

People enter this thread expecting spoilers for one game, not any others.
You know from the beginning how it is gonna end though, it's a prequel.

abracadaver

The ending made me sad. Now that all the locust are dead there wont be another gears game :-(

The machine should have only killed the lambent.

They can do a prequel sure, but wouldnt that be pretty boring as you already know what will happen ? Also it would miss a lot of enemies and weapons that were introduced throughout the series. I just hope they wont do a multiplayer-only gears

Okay, spoiler thread.

My buddy and I have been going through the entire series, Gears 1, 2, and 3, in the last month. He's been hosting, I've been second player.

And you know what?

Killing Dom was a shitty thing to do to player two. The effect it has on Marcus looks and feels entirely manufactured and player two gets passed around until they (I) eventually land on Anya for some reason. Not even Cole or Baird. Anya.

For a game that likes to take itself overly-seriously despite all evidence that it is unnecessary, they totally dropped the ball on how to handle the emotional impact of Dom's death on anyone but player one.

Jarmel

Banned
Not impressed with the campaign. Waste two acts looking for fuel when it's in the god damn building? Really? I did like the final act alot and Char was very cool, but the rest was very meh. Didn't get much emotion out of me about Dom as I expected that was going to happen.

skyfinch

abracadaver said:
The ending made me sad. Now that all the locust are dead there wont be another gears game :-(

The machine should have only killed the lambent.

They can do a prequel sure, but wouldnt that be pretty boring as you already know what will happen ? Also it would miss a lot of enemies and weapons that were introduced throughout the series. I just hope they wont do a multiplayer-only gears

Not exactly. A Gears based on the events before Gears 1 would be awesome. The book, Aspho Fields, had some amazing moments that really explained Marcus's and Dom's past. They could even add in characters such as Carlos (Dom's brother).

In fact, instead of some kind of spin off to the series, I would much rather have them do a prequel. See a world before all the shit hit the fan.

CliffyB

Playah
Foliorum Viridum said:
What a great game. I basically finished it in one sitting tonight.

For as much as people mock the "ten shitloads" dialogue and how dudebro it is etc, it's kinda amazing the range of emotions I felt throughout this game. It doesn't have the best writing, it's not Citizen Kane and it definitely won't evoke the same feelings in everyone, but over the course of the three Gears games I've become really attached to a lot of these characters. Moreso than that, I've really fallen in love with the planet of Sera - the fact so many areas are beautifully constructed, with intricate architecture and a somewhat gothic atmosphere, just makes it more sad when you look at what the last seventeen years of war have done to the planet. I loved in the first chapter when you switch perspective to Cole you get to take in all of the abandoned buildings, playgrounds and streets. It really set the tone and several other moments throughout the game capitalised on that.

I really like how all 3 games have had a pretty drastically different direction. The first game was all about learning about the Locust, defending the last pockets of civilisation and trying to put an end to one single threat. The second then focused on the humans bringing the fight to the Locust, invading their home and learning a lot about their civilisation whilst expanding the threat somewhat as the Lambent are introduced. Now, in the third, all of that seems somewhat trivial. It's no longer about ugly humanoids attacking the entire race, you're literally seeing the planet being ripped apart by Imulsion and it does feel like the human race is going to come to an end.

I have to say the Dom death scene was really, really well done too. I expected Dizzy to eat a bullet when the "Brothers to the End" achievement popped up and I think it was really gutsy to kill Dom off, especially so early into the game. Very few deaths take me by surprise and it didn't feel out of place at all - he finally seemed at peace with himself and that's what made the death so meaningful. I especially liked the touch of having the music to "Mad World" kick in, also, as it was one of few moments that really did capture the feeling of that advert perfectly. I'd go so far as to say it's now one of my favourite cutscenes in gaming history, period. Furthermore, I loved that after his death, unlike in Gears 2 when Maria dies and you just go straight back into the action, this time you spend a good 5 - 10 minutes walking through this desolate city looking at these people in the postures they died in. It really kept the dark nature of his sacrifice going. I also liked that all of the characters took his death with them to the end of the game - I expected it to be almost forgotten by the final cutscene.

In regards to closure I think I was more satisfied than a lot of people judging by the posts I've skimmed over in this thread. I didn't need to know the origins of the Locust (I had just assumed they had always been underground) and I didn't want a "Marcus, I am your mother" moment, either. I am pretty curious about why the Locust Queen has such a human appearance, but I don't think it was a huge oversight not to explain that. Maybe it's better that it isn't explained. I thought that the fact there was such a relatively easy solution to kill all of the enemies was a bit disappointing, but I'm not sure how else you could wipe them out, honestly. I was hoping the CD that Adam gave to Baird would be explored before the end... they focused on that so I thought it would have some significant exposition on it.

I think the closure for me is provided mostly by the COGs. Dom is dead, Marcus has seen his father again and has Anya, Cole has revisited his past and had one last moment of glory, Baird and Aussie chick have something blooming, etc etc. I didn't want to see a cutscene a decade later showing Sera re-built, I was happy with the knowledge that the characters I've spent time with over the last three games just had a potential future, as Adam points out. There was a lot of restraint there for Epic to end it and not throw something in after the credits.

... and this is just the story/environments I'm talking about. There's also the fact it's one of the best paced, balanced, exciting and varied action games I've played outside of Uncharted. You're constantly being pushed into new encounters with new enemies, using different weapons and tactics, rewarded for experimentation etc etc. There was basically no moments in the game I felt bored, perhaps other than the submarine segment which lacked tension and was too long. That's it, though - one sequence in a 6/7 hour game. Better yet, there was absolutely zero driving sequences. I'm so grateful they actually listened to the people who called those moments in 1 and 2 shit. I suppose this isn't really the thread for that sort of discussion, though.

I don't know where I want them to go for a Gears 4 as I definitely feel that re-visiting Sera after this moment would be a bit problematic. You could always have pockets of Locust survive, I suppose, but would that be exciting now? I don't think so. The people have been pushed to the very edge of what they can survive and for another threat to pop up just seems too much. The obvious choice would be a prequel, but again I don't know if that could satisfy, either. The Pendulum Wars was just a war between humans, correct? It would feel odd fighting other humans in a Gears game and I don't think it would be nearly as exciting.

Since Gears has been one of the best new IPs to come out of this generation I would trust Epic and Cliffy to do that again, to be honest. Start fresh - new characters, new world, new enemies. I don't think that's likely since Gears is such a massive brand, but hey.

Regardless, 1-3 have been so good I have faith that they'll do any future titles right.

Bit of a rambling post but I had high expectations and it blew me away. Can't wait to play it again on Insane in co-op!

This post made my week. Honestly, thank you, thanks a ton. Means a lot to read this sort of thing. :)

a.wd

Rambling or not, this is how I feel, I am going to replay it again, and I rarely do that. My girlfriend loved the story, it was just a great all round experience and one that is amazing looking. I mean really really beautiful! Quality game and experience.

Gears 4 please.

Foliorum Viridum said:
What a great game. I basically finished it in one sitting tonight.

For as much as people mock the "ten shitloads" dialogue and how dudebro it is etc, it's kinda amazing the range of emotions I felt throughout this game. It doesn't have the best writing, it's not Citizen Kane and it definitely won't evoke the same feelings in everyone, but over the course of the three Gears games I've become really attached to a lot of these characters. Moreso than that, I've really fallen in love with the planet of Sera - the fact so many areas are beautifully constructed, with intricate architecture and a somewhat gothic atmosphere, just makes it more sad when you look at what the last seventeen years of war have done to the planet. I loved in the first chapter when you switch perspective to Cole you get to take in all of the abandoned buildings, playgrounds and streets. It really set the tone and several other moments throughout the game capitalised on that.

I really like how all 3 games have had a pretty drastically different direction. The first game was all about learning about the Locust, defending the last pockets of civilisation and trying to put an end to one single threat. The second then focused on the humans bringing the fight to the Locust, invading their home and learning a lot about their civilisation whilst expanding the threat somewhat as the Lambent are introduced. Now, in the third, all of that seems somewhat trivial. It's no longer about ugly humanoids attacking the entire race, you're literally seeing the planet being ripped apart by Imulsion and it does feel like the human race is going to come to an end.

I have to say the Dom death scene was really, really well done too. I expected Dizzy to eat a bullet when the "Brothers to the End" achievement popped up and I think it was really gutsy to kill Dom off, especially so early into the game. Very few deaths take me by surprise and it didn't feel out of place at all - he finally seemed at peace with himself and that's what made the death so meaningful. I especially liked the touch of having the music to "Mad World" kick in, also, as it was one of few moments that really did capture the feeling of that advert perfectly. I'd go so far as to say it's now one of my favourite cutscenes in gaming history, period. Furthermore, I loved that after his death, unlike in Gears 2 when Maria dies and you just go straight back into the action, this time you spend a good 5 - 10 minutes walking through this desolate city looking at these people in the postures they died in. It really kept the dark nature of his sacrifice going. I also liked that all of the characters took his death with them to the end of the game - I expected it to be almost forgotten by the final cutscene.

In regards to closure I think I was more satisfied than a lot of people judging by the posts I've skimmed over in this thread. I didn't need to know the origins of the Locust (I had just assumed they had always been underground) and I didn't want a "Marcus, I am your mother" moment, either. I am pretty curious about why the Locust Queen has such a human appearance, but I don't think it was a huge oversight not to explain that. Maybe it's better that it isn't explained. I thought that the fact there was such a relatively easy solution to kill all of the enemies was a bit disappointing, but I'm not sure how else you could wipe them out, honestly. I was hoping the CD that Adam gave to Baird would be explored before the end... they focused on that so I thought it would have some significant exposition on it.

I think the closure for me is provided mostly by the COGs. Dom is dead, Marcus has seen his father again and has Anya, Cole has revisited his past and had one last moment of glory, Baird and Aussie chick have something blooming, etc etc. I didn't want to see a cutscene a decade later showing Sera re-built, I was happy with the knowledge that the characters I've spent time with over the last three games just had a potential future, as Adam points out. There was a lot of restraint there for Epic to end it and not throw something in after the credits.

... and this is just the story/environments I'm talking about. There's also the fact it's one of the best paced, balanced, exciting and varied action games I've played outside of Uncharted. You're constantly being pushed into new encounters with new enemies, using different weapons and tactics, rewarded for experimentation etc etc. There was basically no moments in the game I felt bored, perhaps other than the submarine segment which lacked tension and was too long. That's it, though - one sequence in a 6/7 hour game. Better yet, there was absolutely zero driving sequences. I'm so grateful they actually listened to the people who called those moments in 1 and 2 shit. I suppose this isn't really the thread for that sort of discussion, though.

I don't know where I want them to go for a Gears 4 as I definitely feel that re-visiting Sera after this moment would be a bit problematic. You could always have pockets of Locust survive, I suppose, but would that be exciting now? I don't think so. The people have been pushed to the very edge of what they can survive and for another threat to pop up just seems too much. The obvious choice would be a prequel, but again I don't know if that could satisfy, either. The Pendulum Wars was just a war between humans, correct? It would feel odd fighting other humans in a Gears game and I don't think it would be nearly as exciting.

Since Gears has been one of the best new IPs to come out of this generation I would trust Epic and Cliffy to do that again, to be honest. Start fresh - new characters, new world, new enemies. I don't think that's likely since Gears is such a massive brand, but hey.

Regardless, 1-3 have been so good I have faith that they'll do any future titles right.

Bit of a rambling post but I had high expectations and it blew me away. Can't wait to play it again on Insane in co-op!

Aske

Foliorum Viridum said:

Playing them all back to back, the trilogy feels wonderfully coherent. I appreciated Gears 2 much more in the context of the first and third games. Everything feels extremely balanced as the series evolves, from the story and characterization to the art direction and gameplay. I was also interested to note how different the tone of each game is, and how in spite of this they all feel pretty seamless when played together as a single campaign. Gears 1 is focused and intense, but smaller scale. Gears 2 is probably the most epic in terms of sheer scope; it feels massive in every sense. Gears 3 is hard to sum up: it feels intimate like the first game despite the huge scale of the story, and despite the larger number of cast members it still feels more like Delta Squad against the world than the 'humanity versus the Locust' perspective of the second game.

Can't wait for the Campaign DLC.

dankir

3 for me was the best of the three. The visuals!!!!!! The sheer action packaged scenarios, some geniune characterization ( good enough for Gears :) ) and absolutely fucking fantastic multiplayer.

Act 3 was fucking bonkers from start to finish, I absolutely loved this game.

Everything just feels right and it's probably the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in a long time.

Horde is fantastic, Beast mode is fun ( albeit too short ) and the new maps are okay not fantastic.

I hope they release a super duper map pack and has every map from all the previous games included as well, Nowhere, Kryll Marsh, Train Station, Mansion, etc.

Fucking fantastic job Epic! Can't wait for Gears 4 on Xbox next.

edit: Season Pass bought as well, RAAM's Shadow sounds sick!

I just finished it on Hardcore, I really enjoyed it, I thought Act 5 was pretty awesome all the way through. I had remained unspoiled on the Carmine situation after buying a Save Carmine T-shirt so that was a "Fuck, yeah!" moment when he survives the crash. I thought Dom's death was handled really well and was surprisingly emotional. I still don't know why Myrrah looks human though.

Gears still feels unique to me in the sea of third-person shooters, something about the movement and weight of the characters and the pace of enemy encounters has always been enjoyable for me. I hope we see more in the future.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
MCXC Pioneer said:
There were points where I would just sit back and let my squad take out the grubs. That's the game playing itself.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way! The friendly AI was way too aggressive in some parts. Before I could even kill two grubs those fuckers would just rush in and melee kill every enemy. I played on normal difficulty so I'm hoping that shit is toned down on Hardcore(Can someone who played answer that?)

Anyways, I enjoyed the campaign even though Dom's death was spoiled for me before I had a chance to finish the game. Like many others I want to know what the deal is with the locust queen.

I gotta admit I got a little teary eyed at what Anya tells Marcus at the end.

kodecraft

abracadaver said:
How did the locust jump that high from their holes ? It looked good but made no sense.
Should have saved that for the lambent or make a new very agile locust type to do that.

This. The locust jumped out of the ground on some Ninja Gaiden type ish....they should've introduced "ninja" locusts for that.

bumpkin

abracadaver said:
How did the locust jump that high from their holes ? It looked good but made no sense.
I figured they were just jumping off of trampolines like the ninja turtles in the opening scene of the Secret of the Ooze.

SlickVic

Just finished this up on Hardcore today. Loved the gameplay (as always, they really deliver on making these campaigns just so much fun to play). Story was ok (never had high expectations for that), but a bit bummed we never heard more about New Hope or the sires. I was half expecting that was going to tie in with the "humanness" of the Queen in some way, but now it seems the whole New Hope Chapter of Gears 2 was just a one off story not really related to events of the main storyline. Bit of a shame to me, since that chapter was probably the only time in the series that I was genuinely intrigued about the backstory of the game's plot.

But like I said, I don't really play these games for the story, and all in all, Gears 3 was a fun ride and I'm glad I finally got around to playing it.

Just finished the campaign myself this evening. I read the first page or so of this thread so pardon me if this has been mentioned before but...

WTF at the hurricane surrounding Azura. Was that not obvious from space? Did no one wonder how in the hell a storm stayed in the exact same spot for over 20 years, that it just happened to occur at the start of the war? Was there no infrared imaging from space? Did they only have hammer of dawns up there or something?

C'mon now, it's sorta hard to believe that no one questioned this in the whole world of Sera.

Just finished the campaign myself this evening. I read the first page or so of this thread so pardon me if this has been mentioned before but...

WTF at the hurricane surrounding Azura. Was that not obvious from space? Did no one wonder how in the hell a storm stayed in the exact same spot for over 20 years, that it just happened to occur at the start of the war? Was there no infrared imaging from space? Did they only have hammer of dawns up there or something?

C'mon now, it's sorta hard to believe that no one questioned this in the whole world of Sera.

They were too busy getting killed by Locust.

They were too busy getting killed by Locust.

you'd figure that something like a neverending storm would be picked up by SOMETHING, ANYTHING, as it poses a possible threat to their naval/air support efforts. I dunno, I guess i'm nitpicking, sure, but i really found that hard to believe.

JB1981

The cool thing about gears 1 was the pressure of shutting the sink holes with grenades. First you had to find them, then you had to jump out of cover to get grenades. Then you had to switch out of your main weapon to attempt to close the holes.

In 3, you sit behind cover the whole time, shoot enemies with the never-ending lancer, occasionally pointing up a bit to pop pods.

That's not as cool.

And nothing came close to the original Berserker encounter. Or the kryll, or working your way through the train carriages, or the creaky wooden floorboard bit, or RAAM..., (the character, not the final battle, that was as bad as this final battle, I never finished it on insane without glitching him out on some scenery).

However, 3 is a great game.

We didn't have to sit through vehicles that can't shoot and drive at the same time. Or bastard mine carts.

And it really felt like living through an action movie.

I do prefer just picking up COG tags though. It's purer than picking up all this random crap.

And 1 had better MP maps... :(

But 3 plays better in mp...! And still has *good* maps. Just nothing with the atmosphere of Subway or Mansion. And as for people saying Hotel is the same as Mansion... where's upstairs...? Also, it's huge. Where's all the twisty bits? It's all open.

3 definitely has better lighting... but, then does it look or feel better...? 1 felt miserable. A nasty, rainy shithole of a place. 3 feels kind of okay. Well, except from the destroyed shithole city bit...

I dunno. 1 is fantastic, and so is 3. 1 was probably a bit more raw, and a bit more cool. 3 still has that awesome feel to it when you're in mp, switching between weapons, reloading as you slide into cover. I've never played anything that makes soldiers and weapons feel as real. When you're dead, and so have the time to take it in, watching someone switch from shotgun to sniper, reload, hear the old case hit the ground, hear them grunt and their feet crunch as they pull into cover... it's brilliant. And it's now a familiar feeling, and I can't get that anywhere else.

So. Very good, almost perfect. Room for improvement in the next game. Reboot please, and a totally stark, gritty environment for me please!!! And rain, cheers!
I loved this post

Top Bottom