• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian (TR II fan remake on UE4)

foxbeldin

New video. Still the same cave, but apparently in its final version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-pPOEAXFO4

giphy.gif

This is fan made? It looks amazing.

Jonnax

Bought the original game on Steam and started replaying it recently.

It is hard!
Can't believe I got quite far in it as a kid.

Accoun

This looks incredible but how is this not violating copyright or whatever? Is this licensed?
You can just hear the C&D letter being written.

From his website:
Finally, I’d like to clarify something regarding donations. First of all, thank you for those who asked, but I won’t accept any donation. Crystal Dynamics conditions, so I can go on working on this project without any author’s rights issues, is for it to be absolutely non profit-making.

Looks very beautiful. Amazing job they've done. Looks like a really fun project.

It's really satisfying seeing something you loved as a kid upgraded graphically up to today's standards.

Bought the original game on Steam and started replaying it recently.

It is hard!
Can't believe I got quite far in it as a kid.

That's what I thought when I replayed TR3 some years ago. They're incredibly challenging games.

ShyMel

This looks wonderful! Anniversary is my favorite Tomb Raider gameplay wise and I love the locations from the Core games so this is perfect for me.

Amir0x

Banned
yes I'll take this. At least a whisper taste of when Tomb Raider was actually good, and not an abominable waste of boring ideals. :(

_Rob_

Now THIS is the Tomb Raider I miss! Screw "realism", Anniversary was the most fun I've had with a TR game still.

jelly

It does happen to be the 20th Anniversary of TR2 this year.

Square Enix probably don't mind this and will go for nostalgia of old and reveal of new Tomb Raider this year. That would be cool for new and old fans.

Calm Mind

Classic Lara Croft's grunts and animations did not age well. Nice POC though.

EDIT: Final version video is much improved.

UrbanRats

Classic Lara Croft's grunts and animations did not age well. Nice POC though.

EDIT: Final version video is much improved.
Animations are from the anniversary/Legend games. (And are great :p)

EDIT: Actually, some of the animations seem to be from Underworld, looking at other videos.

dex3108

No color coded edges, no waypoints, no QTEs, no crazy action... That small part of the level shows how much Tomb Raider changed with reboot.

Developer has posted a video showing the final version of the beginning of the first level (Great Wall of China).

Damn... DAMN this looks so fucking good!! Amazing how one person can achieve graphic and mechanic parity like this with UE4. He's using placeholder Anniversary sound effects for now, but I can't wait to see Venice and beyond!

Harlequin

This is the Lara this world needs.

This is the gameplay this world needs.

Nah, this is LAU-inspired gameplay which isn't much better than the reboot gameplay TBH. (It still looks impressive, of course, the gameplay just won't be my cup of tea.)

T8SC

That looks amazing. Tomb Raider II was the first Tomb Raider I completed back in 1997. I remember getting it & finishing it at Christmas. Brilliant game. I concur with the others, the new Tomb Raider doesn't feel like Tomb Raider to me, Lara isn't the same Lara I grew up with either. It's more like Uncharted with a female Nathan Drake. I love Uncharted games, but we don't need Tomb Raider copying, Tomb Raider once lead the way.

eot

Banned
This is one of those things that would be great, but I doubt will ever be finished, because it is a huge undertaking. I also hope he doesn't translate the game too literally. One of Anniversary's strengths was that it expanded the levels. While TRII has some fantastic level design, it also has a few stinkers. Venice drags, for example.

edit: is this using Anniversary assets? Some of the sound effect sound just like it, and hell even the animations looked ripped from that game.
edit2: no tigers tho

Top Bottom