• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Plan To Defund U.S. Arts Endowments Could Impact Video Game Programs

andymcc

Banned
Hollywood should get zero funding. This is the major problem. Everyone wants free money. Free stuff. "If Hollywood is getting theirs, I should get mine". False, you pay for your own projects by getting loans - that you have to pay back when you succeed.

Video games have been around long before people talked about public funding for them and they'll survive pretty much forever considering how lucrative they are.

Sure corporately made video games will be unimpacted by this, this is going to limit exposure to design/programming for the less privledged and potentially impact unique voices & perspectives.

That's really stretching it. Instead of running around screaming chicken little, why doesn't someone please provide some direct proof that this will affect our "quality of gaming" life standards? Instead of speculating about this first world problem?

OK.

I got a graduate degree from FIEA. Some of my classmates would not have been able to attend without a grant or scholarship, and those same people have worked on games you are probably playing now and will continue to make games into the future.

Meffer

We're talking about art which helps inspire people to do various things which can also be games. I'm sad, shocked and disappointed people are underestimating how art accessed in anyway can influence people.

Apparently they do, but no one has figured out yet which consoles, game series, famous mascots/characters and overall COMPANIES this supposed $$ will go to.

Look how many people responded to my comment accusing me of voting for Trump. How does anyone even know how or if I voted? All I said was I don't disagree, and instead got dogpiled on by social justice warriors.

For the record, I am AGAINST any type of welfare, especially CORPORATE welfare, which is a HUGE massive drain on US taxpayers. Oh and fuck the military industrial complex, too. Single greatest source of spending, all funded by US taxpayers - to be the world police.

US funds the majority of NATO. The amount of $$ and people that we contribute exceeds our population and GDP ratio. Yet, we are the lion's share of resources for NATO.

We have enough problems funding all the wrong projects and causes, we don't need to be fighting over whether Donkey Kong or Knuckles the Echida gets the $735M of funding this year.

Couldn't you at least skim the OP?

You bring up 735 million dollars. OP has this little nugget in it
The NEH has invested $1.8 million in games

Also these]
By my count, since 1998, the NEA has funded at least 34 grants that mention video games, encompassing over a hundred thousand dollars allocated to schools incubating game design projects
The Virginia Commonwealth University, which does not have a dedicated ”game design" major, received about $45,000 in funding from the NEA

Taxpayers didn't pay the $200 million budget of GTA V, I don't know where you're getting this shit from and why you're talking as if it's absolute fact

Apparently they do, but no one has figured out yet which consoles, game series, famous mascots/characters and overall COMPANIES this supposed $$ will go to.

Look how many people responded to my comment accusing me of voting for Trump. How does anyone even know how or if I voted? All I said was I don't disagree, and instead got dogpiled on by social justice warriors.

For the record, I am AGAINST any type of welfare, especially CORPORATE welfare, which is a HUGE massive drain on US taxpayers. Oh and fuck the military industrial complex, too. Single greatest source of spending, all funded by US taxpayers - to be the world police.

US funds the majority of NATO. The amount of $$ and people that we contribute exceeds our population and GDP ratio. Yet, we are the lion's share of resources for NATO.

We have enough problems funding all the wrong projects and causes, we don't need to be fighting over whether Donkey Kong or Knuckles the Echida gets the $735M of funding this year.

You are literally sounding crazy right now

Sure corporately made video games will be unimpacted by this, this is going to limit exposure to design/programming for the less privledged and potentially impact unique voices & perspectives.

Last time I checked, computers were pretty cheap and plenty of coders are self taught. I'm not seeing some massive injustice problem here. Just a bunch of whining children complaining that their video games are gonna dry up because a politician decided to cut funding to something pretty questionable in the first place.

The fact you say the bolded in the way that you do says quite a bit actually. The defensiveness says even more.

Seesaw15

Hollywood should get zero funding. This is the major problem. Everyone wants free money. Free stuff. "If Hollywood is getting theirs, I should get mine". False, you pay for your own projects by getting loans - that you have to pay back when you succeed.

Video games have been around long before people talked about public funding for them and they'll survive pretty much forever considering how lucrative they are.

You have to be trolling at this point.

andymcc

Banned
Last time I checked, computers were pretty cheap and plenty of coders are self taught. I'm not seeing some massive injustice problem here. Just a bunch of whining children complaining that their video games are gonna dry up because a politician decided to cut funding to something pretty questionable in the first place.

You're deluded.

Paz

The only person whining and acting like a child who doesn't understand what's happening, is you.

There is nothing questionable about funding the arts. This has been the practice for decades.

Also, most software and hardware nowadays can get extremely expensive, and formal teaching to help guide students will allow them to get a good head start.

Furthermore, this is not just about coding. Game development encompasses a wide range of disciplines, including art and production.

You have zero idea of how business works in the real world, how investment works, and what is necessary to maintain jobs and industries in different states and countries.

What you just posted is elitist libertarian trash. The real world ain't so simple dear.

Maybe you are mixing up complaints from somewhere else? Because nobody here is saying this at all.

The fact that the person just assumes it has happened means that person has been doing this for awhile.

Except not really. Within minutes of posting my opinion, a hoard of petulant children started posting about my "conservative blah blah", insinuating my support for Trump all around and not just on this particular issue, and wandered off topic blabbing about building a wall. What does building a wall have to do with this? Squat is what it does. Just a bunch of babies taking out their aggression all at once about all the other issues keeping them up at night.

The fact that a bunch of likely NEETs circle jerk on this board around their social justice causes every time someone posts a dissenting view and then start hopping on someone - "ohhh he has a VICTIM complex! he must be doing this for awhile.". Gimme a break. You may outnumber me on this message board, but the silent majority elected a president, who... if you live in the US... *IS* your president. Your Alinsky tactics will not work on me.

Meffer

How old are you? Because you sound like a child that has no idea how the world works.

Paz

Except not really. Within minutes of posting my opinion, a hoard of petulant children started posting about my "conservative blah blah", insinuating my support for Trump all around and not just on this particular issue, and wandered off topic blabbing about building a wall. What does building a wall have to do with this? Squat is what it does. Just a bunch of babies taking out their aggression all at once about all the other issues keeping them up at night.

The fact that a bunch of likely NEETs circle jerk on this board around their social justice causes every time someone posts a dissenting view and then start hopping on someone - "ohhh he has a VICTIM complex! he must be doing this for awhile.". Gimme a break. You may outnumber me on this message board, but the silent majority elected a president, who... if you live in the US... *IS* your president. Your Alinsky tactics will not work on me.

Silent majority?

Numbers, how do they work.

Congrats on ruining a thread because you're incapable of rational thought.

danm999

"people I went to school with wouldn't have been able to work on games you're playing right now"

I'm pretty sure I'd be playing all the games I'm playing now. But thanks.

How would you know?

You seem to think the money would be going to Mario and Sonic. You don't seem very informed on this issue.

Majority? Trump lost the popular vote.

You have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the topic at hand. You probably never even considered the opportunities that people would lose should funding for grants get cut.

"people I went to school with wouldn't have been able to work on games you're playing right now"

This is not the same as saying the industry would entirely dry up.

Also, my statement is not any less true because of you hyperbolizing everything.

How old are you? Because you sound like a child that has no idea how the world works.

Old enough to know that capitalism is the only way the world really works.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy. - A Tytler

Meffer

dde01a7a92aa19b4972b4fb097b332686e4ba1f0771b47994b0f28c71f175383.jpg

SZips

Of course Trump would pull funding for things like art and culture. Even if you take games out of the equation, it's a supremely shitty thing to do. But, I'm really not even surprised any more by what he wants to pull funding for.

PBS? Take away funding.
Healthcare? Let's ruin it for millions.
Meals on Wheels? To hell with the elderly and those incapable of going out!
Arts and culture? Fuck that noise!

You're going to go far here.

Only Call of Duty for this guy.

Majority? Trump lost the popular vote.

You have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the topic at hand. You probably never even considered the opportunities that people would lose should funding for grants get cut.

The popular vote doesn't matter. The electoral vote is what matters and trump won fair and square. That is the way the voting system works.

Please address what people are actually saying instead of the extreme interpretation of what you think they are insinuating.

Dubz

Meals on wheels being defunded is going to save the taxpayers major dollars. I mean who wants their taxes to go towards feeding hungry old people? Amirite?

- J - D -

Don't know why you guys are bothering with djitalianice.

1. Assumes the victim position right off the bat despite no actual proof of being attacked.
2. Accuses others of being "petulant children", displaying little self-awareness.
3. Gets facts wrong multiple times.
4. Invokes "social justice" as a pejorative term to describe those with contrary opinions.

We are about 2 or 3 steps away from him calling us cucks.

How would you know?

You seem to think the money would be going to Mario and Sonic. You don't seem very informed on this issue.

No, the money just goes to companies that will fight to get projects. You know, Big Entertainment. Money that goes to funding Big Colleges (not the same as education, by ANY means). Money that does to funding Big Business (console makers, advertisers, etc).

If you think I think Sonic and Mario are getting tax money by way of direct deposit to their Cayman Island bank accounts, then you're clearly misunderstanding the point I am making.

No, the money just goes to companies that will fight to get projects. You know, Big Entertainment. Money that goes to funding Big Colleges (not the same as education, by ANY means). Money that does to funding Big Business (console makers, advertisers, etc).

If you think I think Sonic and Mario are getting tax money by way of direct deposit to their Cayman Island bank accounts, then you're clearly misunderstanding the point I am making.

For one thing, no one in America is going to be working on a Mario or Sonic game unless you are counting spin-offs.

Secondly... "Big Colleges"?

Meffer

I have no idea what point you're making here.

danm999

Do elaborate. How is, for example, USC not a purveyor of education?

Games should be privately funded by private industries that make entertainment based on market demands. The government should not be involved. Can anyone explain why tax dollars should go to funding video games?

And which videogames do they fund, hmm? Mario? Sonic? Zelda? What happens you tax dollars go towards games that you don't like? You really want lobbyists being involved in fighting for more $$ for Mario, while someone is fighting to give the money to Crash Bandicoot instead?

This argument makes sense and is just a symptom of the "me me me" and "gimme gimme (free)" culture/mindset of today's generation.
Ahh, yes. The true villains here......

Millenials

The fact that a bunch of likely NEETs circle jerk on this board around their social justice causes every time someone posts a dissenting view and then start hopping on someone - "ohhh he has a VICTIM complex! he must be doing this for awhile.".

Only 4chan babies cry 'boo hoo the neogaf hivemind is infringing on my freedom of speech! PC POLICE ALERT VIRTUE SIGNALING!!!'. How about you stop going off topic and focus on the actual discussion instead of victimizing yourself and derailing. Trump's defunding the arts and it's affecting the video game programs that certain big time developers like grabbing talent from. The next call of duty or in your case the next anime schoolgirl rhythm game you play could be affected by Trump's policies.

SPEAK 👏 ON 👏 THE 👏 TOPIC 👏 AT 👏 HAND

Gimme a break. You may outnumber me on this message board, but the silent majority elected a president, who... if you live in the US... *IS* your president. Your Alinsky tactics will not work on me.

Technically Hillary got the most votes. And he's not my president, he may be your president since this topic stimulated you well enough but I voted against him and anyone who supports him can get a big, fat Fuck You

Don't know why you guys are bothering with djitalianice.

1. Assumes the victim position right off the bat despite no actual proof of being attacked.
2. Accuses others of being "petulant children", displaying little self-awareness.
3. Gets facts wrong multiple times.
4. Invokes "social justice" as a pejorative term to describe those with contrary opinions.

We are about 2 or 3 steps away from him calling us cucks.

LOL. I have lurked this board for years and waited my turn to get approved for my account. I rarely post, except for one time, and immediately I get more responses than anyone else. Many members here cannot handle dissenting opinion and that is the largest fact in this thread. Citing this observation doesn't make me claim to be a victim. Acting as if Trump is personally robbing you of video game entertainment is the position of the victim. And I am calling it out, as it should be, in this echo chamber of NEET/SJW majority thinking.

Let me ask what is so violently repulsive about government NOT contributing towards the arts? Why are so many people worked up about this? Maybe you should be asking yourselves that question before getting so butt-hurt about me stating my opinion on the matter. Nah instead, just go on a virtue signaling circle jerk about Meals on Wheels, "The Wall" and other stuff that has nothing to do whatsoever with the topic at hand.

I am well versed on Alinsky tactics and will not be fooled for a single minute thinking that some here are not professionals at this.

Meffer

LOL. I have lurked this board for years and waited my turn to get approved for my account. I rarely post, except for one time, and immediately I get more responses than anyone else. Many members here cannot handle dissenting opinion and that is the largest fact in this thread. Citing this observation doesn't make me claim to be a victim. Acting as if Trump is personally robbing you of video game entertainment is the position of the victim. And I am calling it out, as it should be, in this echo chamber of NEET/SJW majority thinking.

Let me ask what is so violently repulsive about government NOT contributing towards the arts? Why are so many people worked up about this? Maybe you should be asking yourselves that question before getting so butt-hurt about me stating my opinion on the matter. Nah instead, just go on a virtue signaling circle jerk about Meals on Wheels, "The Wall" and other stuff that has nothing to do whatsoever with the topic at hand.

I am well versed on Alinsky tactics and will not be fooled for a single minute thinking that some here are not professionals at this.

I get the feeling you won't be here for long with the way you're acting.

joecanada

That's cool take away all the grants and tax breaks. We give great ones in Vancouver see who that works out better for. I already know tons of people here with full time entertainment jobs , more middle class tax payers for us.

Also lol at your premise that college will suddenly get cheaper when private. There are private universities you ought to actually research what they cost

Mosse

Neo Member

Dude.
Take a step back,
read what you are posting,
read what other people are posting,
try to understand what they are saying and not what you think they are saying.
Then come back.

Top Bottom