• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I was just in the breath of the wild OT and reading some of the comments, when I came across someone bringing up lynel AI:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232399809&postcount=12101
This inspired people to give their experience about fighting lynels, this was actually a experience ive been meaning to bring up but didnt until now.
Here is my personal story
From Reddit (commentary on Lynel AI):

Anyone else experience anything like this? They always seem to attack me right away.

The first time I ever ran into a lynel, I just got done watching a memory
near mt lanaryu
and I decided to continue forward because why not, and then i saw it, he looked bigger than any enemy I saw up til that point besides the moblin bosses, and he was just there, and almost as soon as i noticed him, he noticed me, and we just stared at eachother.
I was ontop of my horse, at this point I was thinking "maybe I can take him, ive got some upgrades(waaaay less than I do now)" So I got down from my horse and I took out my weapon while still staring at him, and then a few seconds later he also unsheathed his weapon and nothing more, just continued staring at me.
At this point I realized this was a badass enemy, so I charged at him....and he charged at me.......I dont remember anything else, I was dead.

I fucking love lynels.
but before I said anything, a number of people added their's aswell.
I only met one Lynel unintentionally. It was just a all out fight right away. I did do a Rito jump and the Lynel took the time to do a raining shock arrow due to the distance I was. And when I was approaching one I did notice that it kept an eye on where it thought I was. So I whistled it over so I could attack it

Also...I'm tired of Lynels lol. I can't stop farming though

The one where it shot the arrow upwards, yeah I experienced that. My first Lynel encounter did that. In the coliseum, it saw me and it just stared and not move. I hid behind the wall and it still stared at my direction. I waited out not doing anything, then it started aiming upward. I thought "like you cant hit me with that" them bam! I died from a shock arrow from the heavens.
Lynels have great programming. I love that you must remain unarmed while approaching or they'll shoot you.

In my experience Lynels will just look at me from a distance if I both keep my distance and don't have a weapon out. I was toying with one that ended up kicking my ass. I looked at it and it looked at me for like a minute. But the second I took out my bow, before even aiming, it went aggressive and started to shoot at me.
It was really fun to read people's experience with them, cause they were such a different enemy in the game.

Im not gonna claim that this is the best AI in gaming, wouldnt even know where to look, but its just so fun to fight these things that every story is a little different.

I love how the motivation to train up yourself and defeat one is the fun in and of itself. There's no progression to be gained from it.

Jackano

I'm not sure.
They seemed to always attack me.
With the mask, he attacked me only once I draw my sword, at least I think.
Maybe they attack you on sight only if you're really too weak.

That first stare down with one, combined with the mirroring of unsheathing our weapons, was one of my favorite moments in the game. I hope we get more enemies like them in the following games.

random25

I'm not sure.

They won't attack immediately if you're not drawing out a weapon.

I'm not sure any of this is confirmed. It'll be awhile before AI really gets broken down, but BoTW's AI in general is pretty good even if does some stupid things on occasion (enemy Bokoblins running into fire for example).

I think they're pretty unique and interesting as you approach one.... until you actually engage it in combat. Then it feels like you're fighting a Dark Souls boss. Which is still really cool, to be fair.

nubbe

One thing I love about the AI in BotW is that the enemy stalks you if they think they have spotted something.
Instead of just starting to attack blindly like in almost all other games.

random25

I'm not sure any of this is confirmed. It'll be awhile before AI really gets broken down, but BoTW's AI in general is pretty good even if does some stupid things on occasion (enemies running into fire for example).

Low level monsters do stupid things. If you've seen the silver versions, they aren't doing anything foolish.

Crayolan

I'm not sure.

When you have the mask on, they just stare at you for a while, but if you loiter around for too long they eventually bend over to get a better look at you and then see through your disguise.

I think they're pretty unique and interesting until you actually start fighting one. Then it feels like you're fighting a Dark Souls boss. Which is still really cool, to be fair.

I like how the ranged pattern of the Lynels basically forms an implicit arena though. You're not really getting away from them unless there's a cliff nearby and even then they can hit you.

Lynels are phenomenally designed enemies and gorgeously animated, the hitboxes on their attacks are so good. You can even duck some of their moves.

It felt soooooo good to see Lynels again and finally in a 3D Zelda!

When the Zora king told me to go up to the mountains to get shock arrows from a monster, I wondered what could be up there. Boy, was I in for a surprise when I got to the top. Freaking bastard killed me so many times before I realized
you don't need to beat him, just get arrows!

I like how the ranged pattern of the Lynels basically forms an implicit arena though. You're not really getting away from them unless there's a cliff nearby and even then they can hit you.

Lynels are phenomenally designed enemies and gorgeously animated.

Yeah, they're by far my favorite enemies in the game. And they drop some awesome stuff.

Not sure about the best, but yeah BotW's AI is pretty good at times. Especially for an Open World game. I think NGB and Fear are still the reference models though.

The stare is magnificent, as is that stoic posture that he often finds himself in. It's really awesome climbing a mountain or something, and just seeing that silhouette turning to match your direction ever so slightly. Fantastic enemy.

I wish there was more variety with the overworld bosses in general, but the Lynels haven't gotten old for me yet.

Oregano

I tried fighting one yesterday with three fairies and it still completely wrecked me. I whittle him down to around 200hp but he got me.

I'm not sure any of this is confirmed. It'll be awhile before AI really gets broken down, but BoTW's AI in general is pretty good even if does some stupid things on occasion (enemy Bokoblins running into fire for example).
What impressede the most is how good the navigation works (with very few outliers)

I mean some enemies like lizalfos are amazing at navigating.

Lynels have the most impressive behaviour though. Like even now, after being able to kill them in my 3 heart run, they still comand respect and prudence.

Most fun I had with an optional enemy in years.

I remember watching Brad from Gaintbomb get flank by one when he was trying to fight a Hinox.

It was hilarious, he was just shooting arrows while Brad was trying to running away from the Hinox

correojon

The moment they spot you and you walk towards them, both staring into each other´s eyes to finally unseathe your weapons always gives me the chills. They´re really intimidating and have the power to backup their attitude. Best death stare since Luigi in MK8.

I had an amazing fight against a Lynel which seemed to las a ful in-game night and part of the morning:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231757075&postcount=157
Most epic fight ever with an amazing ending.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One thing I love about the AI in BotW is that the enemy stalks you if they think they have spotted something.
Instead of just starting to attack blindly like in almost all other games.
This is how I snuck through the
Yiga hideout before I realized bananas distract them. I popped up, made them see me for a split second, went back behind cover, moved to a different spot, and had them investigate my previous hiding spot while I snuck up behind them and killed them. Metal Gear Zelda.

Lys1aBL.png

Zedark

I have beaten one twice, and each time it was a fun battle with the Lynel showing a seemingly unscripted series of attacks, which made the battle that much harder and more enjoyable.

Mega

Banned
Lynels are awesome.

They will sometimes just stare you down without moving. Occasionally they don't seem to like you standing there and will fire at you or come charging. If you pull out a weapon, that's an immediate fight. I went to take a picture thinking it would remain stationary and staring... yeah, it came at me.

There are times where they perceive you a threat and pull out their bow and arrow... and just wait for you to try anything bold before putting it away. They will sometimes follow you in a trot to see WTF is up. If you hide, they patrol and sniff/hear you out.

Taking the high ground at an attacking Lynel is a big mistake. It always shoots shock arrows into the sky and from my experience they go through overhead objects and tend to one hit kill.

Scariest of all is that not all Lynels are the same. I encountered one in the snow of upper Gerudo that had no charge up to its fireballs and the snow made it so I couldn't move out of the way in time despite seeing the attack coming in time. The first time I encountered a white haired lynel with an area fire explosion effect was something... it was also a lot stronger than previous ones and I had to beat it without taking any damage (my best armor and buffs did nothing).

I haven't seen this myself, but a Lynel can teleport to your location after you think you're safe. It killed a friend of mine this way. I almost didn't believe him and had to ask the BOTW OT if it was true.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

When the Zora king told me to go up to the mountains to get shock arrows from a monster, I wondered what could be up there. Boy, was I in for a surprise when I got to the top. Freaking bastard killed me so many times before I realized

That was the first and only lynel I took down, i wanted the kill, needed it.

Krooner

I have trouble with the spear carrying ones, dodging their running swipe move seems really difficult. I'm guessing you flip back as you do with the sword/axe ones, but they always seem to just catch me.

That was the first and only lynel I took down, i wanted the kill, needed it.

IIRC; he only drops like two bundles of 10 anyway.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Maybe I got to Zora's Domain way too early (think I had 5 hearts), but these dudes rocked me hard that I just bought 20 shock arrows in Guerodo Town.

Ms.Galaxy

I spend most of my time in BotW hunting down and locating Silver Lynels. Every time I fight them it's always a thrill, I walk up to them, we stare at each other for a good few seconds, then we both draw our weapons and fight. This one time, I fought one during a lighting storm for 20 minutes (Couldn't use some of my best equipment without getting struck by lighting)... It was the most epic battle I ever had. They are the greatest Zelda enemies to ever exist in a long while in my opinion, love their design, strength, and intelligence.

Wil348

I've seen a few in the wild and avoided them like the plague after the shock arrow quest....until
I reached Hyrule Castle, where there is one about halfway through. It must have taken me at least ten attempts to best him.

I rode past one once and he just stared me down as I rode away. Didn't unsheath his weapon, just stared. It was creepy as fuck.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The first time I saw one, it was after flanking the colliseum from the top and sneak attacking all the enemies one by one. After staring at him from the second floor for a bit, he finally spotted me and shot electric homing arrows that OHKO'd me. The game really needed more moments like this, you kind of see every enemy in the first 5 hours of playtime.

nubbe

Maybe I got to Zora's Domain way too early (think I had 5 hearts), but these dudes rocked me hard that I just bought 20 shock arrows in Guerodo Town.

There are shock arrows on the trees and ground, so you're supposed to get your ass kicked and instead sneak around and collect the arrows in the area.

KHlover

Banned
Eh. They shoot arrows when you are far away and then use horizontal attacks for most of the time as long as you stay close to them. Once in a while they'll try to trample you or shoot fireballs, that's when you use Stasis+ to intereupt them. White and Silver kind use an AOE attack when their HP falls below a certain level, but that's it. Fun fights, but nowhere near best AI ever imo.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Here is an indepth fighting guide for the timing of flurry rushes and blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUPHWJuzC0

The guy beats them as a hobby with no damage and tree branches. He's good!

This makes me realize I'm terrible at combat in this game. Time to git gud...

It's amazing that so many people had trouble with this.

It's a stealth mission.

I thought it was obvious it was a stealth mission, given how much they warn you about Lynels and how powerful they look compared to your average Bokoblin or Moblin. The first time I reached the area, the Lynel spotted me the second I arrived and then did a 1-shot kill with a raining arrow as I hid behind a rock. That's when I knew Lynels were serious business and even scarier than I thought. When I respawned, I thankfully wasn't bothered once and was able to get everything without trouble, but my heart was pounding like crazy until I escaped and successfully moved onto the next part of the quest.

Mister Wolf

My pride wouldn't let me just get the arrows. Took my deaths till I finally killed him.

butzopower

proud of his butz
It's amazing that so many people had trouble with this.

It's a stealth mission.

I tried sneaking for a bit, but I had a lot of trouble finding the arrows. I have a lot of trouble catching/seeing bugs and lizards as well, maybe I should invest in stealth items/equipment.

My favorite moment had to be the first time I equipped the Lynel mask and running up to one. Link stands there and mimics its stance, puffing his chest out. It's hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing as I'm face to face with this Lynel that's 5x my size and we're both staring each other down with our chests pushed outwards.

random25

Eh. They shoot arrows when you are far away and then use horizontal attacks for most of the time as long as you stay close to them. Once in a while they'll try to trample you or shoot fireballs, that's when you use Stasis+ to intereupt them. White and Silver kind use an AOE attack when their HP falls below a certain level, but that's it. Fun fights, but nowhere near best AI ever imo.

They use AOE attack randomly.

And Stasis+ cheeses the fight, any fight really.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, you either fight well or cook well ;)

I'm bad at both currently. I'm definitely a nonconfrontational Link. Sheikah armor, sprinting, and the Sailcloth are my go-to tools.

random25

Agreed. You can sprint in a wide circle for the three fireballs, finish tightly and you can get a few free hits in too.

If you aim fast, you actually have enough time to aim and shoot at its head while it prepares to spit fire to stun it and do more damage. It's a good risk vs. reward thing.

Top Bottom