• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue [First screens]

Tomb Raider underperformed according to SE, lmao. So that was a good point, thanks.
And are you really so unaware of social issues that you thought that GTA V went down with no complaints? Plenty of reviewers commented on the lack of not only playable female characters but the fact that the female characters in the game were all horribly portrayed. There is plenty of outrage on a lot of issues; if you haven't noticed it then I don't know where you've been.

I think you checked out a little too earlyhttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/once-an-underperformer-tomb-raider-nearing-6-million-in-sales/1100-6418162/

So the reviewers bashed the lack of playable female characters before giving the game a 10/10? Wow talk about outrage! How many people avoided buying the game because of it? Again, they must have been so outraged when they were driving to the store to stand in line and give up their money to play a game that they were so outraged at.
I'm sick of the phoniness of it all. People pick and choose when they want to be outraged about something. If you have an issue with male protagonists, that's fine. You have every right to do that and to not buy those games. But I would bet a quick glance at your game/dvd collection would prove otherwise.

LiK

The funny thing is, Ubisoft has actually been pretty good about diversity in AC protagonists. Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Aveline de Grandpré, and Adéwalé (if you want to count Freedom Cry) were all protagonists that weren't white males.

I guess people can forget when you come out and say dumb shit to justify your latest game.

People also forget that all the "white" guys are technically mixed. All the protagonists in the mainline series were in Desmond's bloodline and they included a Native American and Middle Eastern which is pretty cool.

Jito

Banned
Not really.

If you don't want people to discuss video games, you might not want to post on a video game message board.

Never said anything of the sort guy? Don't put words in my mouth. Basically saying these complainers should find a better avenue than Gaf to argue their point with people who control this shit, maybe directly contact the company who Y'know makes the games? No need to shit up every game announcement thread that has a white protagonist.

Foffy

Banned
Also, TR underperformed according to SE. http://www.onlysp.com/square-enix-c...ogs-underpeformed-in-sales-president-resigns/

And even though it sold 5M, that's a single female-protag game that sold 5M. While there are tens of white male protag games every year that sell millions.

If you're trying to spin Tomb Raider's "underperformance" due to it starring a female character, I don't think that's it. Wasn't that title one of the better selling games in the series? Tomb Raider doesn't have that mainstream casual appeal of something like Cowwadooty. Square had incredibly high expectations for the game, just like with Hitman. In fact, they expected Hitman Absolution to outsell the four previous games, despite the franchise being in hiatus for six years. They wanted too much from Eidos' properties, and it had very little to do with gender roles at all. The fact Tomb Raider sells well "despite" having a female character should be a telling thing.

Also, TR underperformed according to SE. http://www.onlysp.com/square-enix-c...ogs-underpeformed-in-sales-president-resigns/

And even though it sold 5M, that's a single female-protag game that sold 5M. While there are tens of white male protag games every year that sell millions.
Yea, TR underperformed as did Hitman and Sleeping Dogs because SE is incompetent.

Also, I'm guessing that the number of white "generic" guys that play video games are higher than woman or black people if the people I know are anything to go by, so it's not really a surprise it would sell more.

That article is from March of 2013 and is very outdated.

Again, no one cares about phony internet outrage. Complaining about it on the internet then going out and buying the game isn't helping anything. Like I said look at the sales numbers. I don't care if someone complained about the lack of female protagonist before they bought the game. Fact is they still bought it, so clearly they weren't all that outraged.

Edit: It's also funny you put that Kotaku one in there because it doesn't seem to really impact their overall feeling on the game all that much if you read the review.

Yea, TR underperformed as did Hitman and Sleeping Dogs because SE is incompetent.

Also, I'm guessing that the number of white "generic" guys that play video games are higher than woman or black people if the people I know are anything to go by, so it's not really a surprise it would sell more.
Well, we all know that the best sample for population statistics is people you know. Because there aren't 6bil people in the world.
If you're trying to spin Tomb Raider's "underperformance" due to it starring a female character, I don't think that's it. Wasn't that title one of the better selling games in the series? Tomb Raider doesn't have that mainstream casual appeal of something like Cowwadooty. Square had incredibly high expectations for the game, just like with Hitman. In fact, they expected Hitman Absolution to outsell the four previous games, despite the franchise being in hiatus for six years. They wanted too much from Eidos' properties, and it had very little to do with gender roles at all. The fact Tomb Raider sells well "despite" having a female character should be a telling thing.
I acknowledge that TR sold well and that SE was being silly. But when a publisher comes out and says their game underperformed, and it just so happens to be one of the only high profile releases that year starring a female lead, people are bound to listen.
I think you checked out a little too earlyhttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/once-an-underperformer-tomb-raider-nearing-6-million-in-sales/1100-6418162/

So the reviewers bashed the lack of playable female characters before giving the game a 10/10? Wow talk about outrage! How many people avoided buying the game because of it? Again, they must have been so outraged when they were driving to the store to stand in line and give up their money to play a game that they were so outraged at.
I'm sick of the phoniness of it all. People pick and choose when they want to be outraged about something. If you have an issue with male protagonists, that's fine. You have every right to do that and to not buy those games. But I would bet a quick glance at your game/dvd collection would prove otherwise.
I wasn't always as aware of these issues as I am now. So yeah, you could look at my purchases from the last year and see that I've bought a lot of male protag games. But you know what? Going forward I'm going to try and buy less of them. Two of my most anticipated titles this year are Sunset Overdrive and Destiny - both of which let you play as either gender. Next on my list would be Dragon Age and Alien Isolation - which omg, both let you play as a woman. Wow.
So you can be sick of my "phoniness", but I can be sick of Ubisoft constantly shoving out white male protag games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't mind if people want to discuss those things, but it's a bit sad that only 3 pages in, half the posts of this thread are already about this and not even speculation or discussion about the actual leak.
not really much to go on

looks like maybe this assassin is hunting other assassins? I couldn't hear what the guy was saying in the trailer due to the crappy audio quality

If the point is just to mention for every game announced that, here too, the character is a white male, then why not, but maybe we should leave it at that and not start counter-argumenting forever in every new thread.
people care about this stuff

white dudes aren't the only people who play video games, but looking at how the industry picks protagonists you wouldn't know it.

On a side note, I do agree it feels like only Assassin's Creed takes shit like this, for some reason.
It's not only Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft has just been getting some bad focus recently because of their dumb statements about Unity.

Like I said, I think Ubisoft deserves a bit more credit for their protagonists.

You've got to be kidding me if you think that Middle Eastern people during the crusades had skin that pale. Altair was the same colour as Robert, ffs.

Half Native American, half British.

A joke of a game. Coming from a day one buyer of Liberation, it was a broken, poor-performing mess that was clearly given neither the attention nor time it deserved to be a good game. It was clear Ubi couldn't care less - the game ran at about 18 fps and was missing a lot of what you would consider standard. It didn't even have skippable cutscenes, and it had an incredibly common, save breaking bug that was only fixed after the fact and still meant players had to restart their game. Happened to me when I was close to 100%.

Oh, you got me there. I'm so thankful Ubi decided that a black protag was worth a whole DLC. Never mind that it's a single DLC amongst a sea of male white protag games.
Wow you really, really have a chip on your shoulder, don't you? You're trying to claim that Altair was white, when did you last play AC1 or Revelations?

assassins-creed-revelations-altair-al-mualim.jpg

And despite Connor looking almost wholly Native American and not being white at all you've decided to disregard that because his father is British despite a good chunk of the plot-line being about how the Native Americans got fucked over by white people? Not to mention that he wasn't brought up in an English home but he is culturally Native American and I also seem to remember his mentor being black as well, was there actually a white Assassin in AC3? Liberation was shitty because it was a cheap-ass Vita game, not because it had a female protagonist. Finally, Freedom Cry was good. Don't act like they stiffed Adewale into the DLC because he's black and they thought 'fuck it', he was a main character in the game and they obviously thought it'd make sense.

I understand people being angry about the lack of female representation in Assassin's Creed but trying to complain that they're one of these 'no minorities please!' franchises is baffling and ludicrous.

OT: I really want this but I wouldn't want to miss out on a PS4 version being released a few months later.

Have you already played?

AC 3
AC 3 Liberation
AC4 Freedom Cry DLC
Yes:
You've got to be kidding me if you think that Middle Eastern people during the crusades had skin that pale. Altair was the same colour as Robert, ffs.

Half Native American, half British.

A joke of a game. Coming from a day one buyer of Liberation, it was a broken, poor-performing mess that was clearly given neither the attention nor time it deserved to be a good game. It was clear Ubi couldn't care less - the game ran at about 18 fps and was missing a lot of what you would consider standard. It didn't even have skippable cutscenes, and it had an incredibly common, save breaking bug that was only fixed after the fact and still meant players had to restart their game. Happened to me when I was close to 100%.

Oh, you got me there. I'm so thankful Ubi decided that a black protag was worth a whole DLC. Never mind that it's a single DLC amongst a sea of male white protag games.

Right, so it's too bad Tomb Raider didn't sell well so they could use that as proof of success...
Do you think the writers of GTA 5 had freedom? I would bet they did, guess what? Three males and no one was up in arms about that. Its annoying to see people jump on Ubisoft yet when UC4 was announced I didn't see a ton of people saying that they better be able to play as a female and not just Nathan Drake. Same for Halo 5 or Arkham Knight. Where's the outrage?
Here is the thing, no one is saying that established characters should be gender bent to "appease" feminists. Quite the opposite. Feminists and their supporters want new characters that are real women, not trope laden stereotypes. My big problem with GTAV, and why I won't buy it is not the way women are represented as NPCs, it is satirical. Rather it is the fact that they had THREE new protagonists and not one was a woman.

UrbanRats

You'd much rather clamber over empty buildings offering next to no gameplay? ;> But seriously, I got tired of climbing structures in AC a long time ago so something wholly different to climb over > same old crap (maybe they'll introduce new climbing mechanics to go with the new surfaces). And anyway, maybe we'll be manoeuvring around them while having epic Arctic sea battles instead of scaling them.

It's been a while since we've had decently big and complex structures to climb, so yes.

I want AC to improve as a series, but i don't want it to become something else, i don't want it to become a naval combat game.

I'm fine with the idea of splitting the series, so if i don't like the spin off, i can just ignore it.

I'm happy with Unity because the city looks pretty intricate.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Two Assassins Creed games a year. Oh My. Dont they know games aren't selling that well on last gen console? This will be ported over to this gen for sure.

Pyrrhus

ugh, now i want an AC set in Afrika.

Playing as a slave who escapes, finds the creed and decides to take revenge could be awsome if done right.

This is more or less the synopsis of Freedom Cry from last year. Adewale is not an African as he was born in Trinidad, but the rest of it meets your request.

Wow you really, really have a chip on your shoulder, don't you? You're trying to claim that Altair was white, when did you last play AC1 or Revelations?

And despite Connor looking almost wholly Native American and not being white at all you've decided to disregard that because his father is British despite a good chunk of the plot-line being about how the Native Americans got fucked over by white people? Not to mention that he wasn't brought up in an English home but he is culturally Native American and I also seem to remember his mentor being black as well, was there actually a white Assassin in AC3? Liberation was shitty because it was a cheap-ass Vita game, not because it had a female protagonist. Finally, Freedom Cry was good. Don't act like they stiffed Adewale into the DLC because he's black and they thought 'fuck it', he was a main character in the game and they obviously thought it'd make sense.

I understand people being angry about the lack of female representation in Assassin's Creed but trying to complain that they're one of these 'no minorities please!' franchises is baffling and ludicrous.

OT: I really want this but I wouldn't want to miss out on a PS4 version being released a few months later.
Altair next to Robert de Sable (a white guy):
Dat beautiful pale skin.

As for your other "arguments", the fact that all of these non white protags have "*but" next to them just adds to my point. They shouldn't need to have "but" beside them.

Edit: also, in terms of Liberation, it was a "cheap-ass Vita game" because Ubi probably didn't want to risk having a female lead in a mainline AC game. So... that just furthers my point too. It could've been a non "cheap-ass Vita game" but it wasn't, because it wasn't their priority when their mainline game starring a male protag was coming out.

So you know that the AC series has had plenty of non-white protagonists, which forces you to find ways to ridicule and dismiss the games they appeared in. Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.
Two of them were not mainline entries i.e. not a priority. I'm not ridiculing them by pointing out truths.

Dat beautiful pale skin.

As for your other "arguments", the fact that all of these non white protags have "*but" next to them just adds to my point. They shouldn't need to have "but" beside them.
Good retort to what I have said. So if Connor, for instance, was 100% the same character but Haytham has not his father you'd be totally cool? I'm sure your crusade against the portrayal of mixed race characters in video games will be well fought to the end but it does seem quite silly to say 'No, Connor had a white Dad and a Mohawk mother, he's white'.

So the game has become 'here's a screenshot of Altair looking Syrian' 'Well here's one of his hand and it looks white'. Where exactly in the Middle East did you believe Altair to be from? You are aware that the whole of the Middle East is not simply one skin colour.

Good retort to what I have said. So if Connor, for instance, was 100% the same character but Haytham has not his father you'd be totally cool? I'm sure your crusade against the portrayal of mixed race characters in video games will be well fought to the end but it does seem quite silly to say 'No, Connor had a white Dad and a Mohawk mother, he's white'.

So the game has become 'here's a screenshot of Altair looking Syrian' 'Well here's one of his hand and it looks white'. Where exactly in the Middle East did you believe Altair to be from? You are aware that the whole of the Middle East is not simply one skin colour.
I'm talking about the skin colour in the above photo compared to Robert's in the below photo. They are practically the same, Robert is just more flushed.

And media has long portrayed people from the Middle East as white. Heck, even the Catholic Church does it with Jesus and Mary (who were most definitely NOT white):

Ambient80

Dat beautiful pale skin.

Edit: also, in terms of Liberation, it was a "cheap-ass Vita game" because Ubi probably didn't want to risk having a female lead in a mainline AC game. So... that just furthers my point too. It could've been a non "cheap-ass Vita game" but it wasn't, because it wasn't their priority when their mainline game starring a male protag was coming out.

This has gone into tin foil hat territory pretty quickly. No studio who has made an offshoot of their main franchise on the Vita has made it their focus, female protagonist or not. Look at call of duty, uncharted, or Killzone. None of those were the "major focus" of their studios, they were made to make a quick buck off an anemic marketplace.

His points about AC3 are spot on. You are the one making pretty far teaching claims that it" doesn't count" because his dad was British or whatever.

Edit: Ack! What happened? I was kicked to the desktop site on my phone instead of mobile GAF.

RexNovis

Banned
If you told me that was a fan trailer/mock up I'd beleive you. This series is getting so played out at this point. After Assassin's Creed 4 I've realized what I want out if Ubisoft is a pirate game. This just looks like more of the same to me. Surely I'm not the only one feeling the franchise fatigue with this series? I seriously hope they move on before too long I just can't bring myself to care about the franchise at all anymore.

Pyrrhus

Dat beautiful pale skin.

What are you on about with this? Syrians are generally not as dark as people from other regions of the Middle East like Egyptians or Yemenis. On top of that you're showing a picture of Altair in direct sunlight versus a picture of de Sable in a darkened room. They deliberately wanted an Arab man because of the time period and location they wanted their story to take place in and designed Altair realistically along those lines.

If you told me that was a fan trailer/mock up I'd beleive you. This series is getting so played out at this point. After Assassin's Creed 4 I've realized what I want out if Ubisoft is a pirate game. Surely I'm not the only one feeling the franchise fatigue with this series? I seriously hope they move on before too long I just can't bring myself to care about the franchise at all anymore.

But isn't this a pirate game?

mechphree

Were there many black ship captains around the time the game is set?

Should they put a black female as the protagonist despite the time period and setting just to please people like yourself?

Seriously getting sick of comments like this, if they want to tell a story about a white dude sailing in the arctic then that is their prerogative, do you whine when the latest Michael Bay film comes out and has a white male lead with a female that is there just to look pretty?

I'm confused, are you saying black people didn't exist during this time period or are you saying black people didn't do this during the time period?

badgenome

And media has long portrayed people from the Middle East as white. Heck, even the Catholic Church does it with Jesus and Mary (who were most definitely NOT white):

I know. Hell, look at how the media portrays Bashar al-Assad:

DuysaXe.jpg

Dat beautiful pale skin and dose blue eyes. Just how stupid do you think we are, media?!

This has gone into tin foil hat territory pretty quickly. No studio who has made an offshoot of their main franchise on the Vita has made it their focus, female protagonist or not. Look at call of duty, uncharted, or Killzone. None of those were the "major focus" of their studios, they were made to make a quick buck off an anemic marketplace.
Exactly. You can't simultaneously say that Ubisoft cares about having a diverse race and gender lineup for AC then go on to say that the ones that are diverse are cash grabs, because guess what: that means they don't care.
His points about AC3 are spot on. You are the one making pretty far teaching claims that it" doesn't count" because his dad was British or whatever.
I've already stepped down on the Connor front, if you read my other posts.

I'm talking about the skin colour in the above photo compared to Robert's in the below photo. They are practically the same, Robert is just more flushed.

Yes, you posted an image of Altair's hand and said 'see, pretty white' despite almost every screenshot I'm zooming through now making him look Syrian/Persian.

One of my biggest issues with the first AC was Altair having an American accent, which was explained but still stupid as shit.

I don't care about Jesus, why bring him into this? Everyone with half a brain knows that Jesus wasn't white
or real.

DuysaXe.jpg

Dat beautiful pale skin and dose blue eyes. Just how stupid do you think we are, media?!
First Jesus an now Assad, such a shame.

DuysaXe.jpg

Hell, look at how the media portrays MODERN DAY PEOPLE FROM THE MIDDLE EAST, after centuries of genetic selection has taken place! Amazing!

Ambient80

Exactly. You can't simultaneously say that Ubisoft cares about having a diverse race and gender lineup for AC then go on to say that the ones that are diverse are cash grabs, because guess what: that means they don't care.

I've already stepped down on the Connor front, if you read my other posts.

Literally one game would meet the points you made in the first paragraph, and Unity seems to be changing that at least somewhat with a female possible co-lead. The rest were major entries in the series.

RexNovis

Banned
But isn't this a pirate game?

Last I checked it was still an assassins creed title which means a whole bunch of obscure timeline future Scifi BS polluting the game is actually want to play. It'd be one thing if the story/gameplay in these other sections was compelling but that hasn't been true since Assassins Creed 2. The series is constantly dragged down by their pure odious insistence in making this a Scifi series instead of a historical one.

chugen

the fuck is going on here.

and that picture with the ice is intriguing. it could be cool to play in there even if its just for a few missions

Pejo

So much hate about this game already! Yikes!

Don't mind though, I LOVED Black Flag, will get this game day 1. If i later find out it's based around the Norse/Viking culture, my hype levels will spike through the roof.

I was really hoping (and honestly not too surprised) that this game was the pirate-y spin-off that they surveyed about last year.

Altairre

Here is the thing, no one is saying that established characters should be gender bent to "appease" feminists. Quite the opposite. Feminists and their supporters want new characters that are real women, not trope laden stereotypes. My big problem with GTAV, and why I won't buy it is not the way women are represented as NPCs, it is satirical. Rather it is the fact that they had THREE new protagonists and not one was a woman.

The idea that you would look at a game and say "Does it have a female protagonist? No? Well then fuck it." is baffling to me. To each their own I guess.

badgenome

Hell, look at how the media portrays MODERN DAY PEOPLE FROM THE MIDDLE EAST, after centuries of genetic selection has taken place! Amazing!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The Franks during the crusades already didn't see the Syrians as racially different from themselves and intermarried with them pretty freely.

Literally one game would meet the points you made in the first paragraph, and Unity seems to be changing that at least somewhat with a female possible co-lead. The rest were major entries in the series.
Unity has already failed by not allowing the CUSTOMISABLE PLAYER CHARACTER to be female. The trailer showcasing the female character seems to be nothing more than damage control. It's especially ignorant of Ubi to not allow a female PC when the most famous assassin from that period was female, and is why we have this iconic painting:

I acknowledge that TR sold well and that SE was being silly. But when a publisher comes out and says their game underperformed, and it just so happens to be one of the only high profile releases that year starring a female lead, people are bound to listen.
They said the game wasn't selling well when it wasn't selling well. They came out later when the sales improved and changed their statement accordingly, I posted that link earlier.

I wasn't always as aware of these issues as I am now. So yeah, you could look at my purchases from the last year and see that I've bought a lot of male protag games. But you know what? Going forward I'm going to try and buy less of them. Two of my most anticipated titles this year are Sunset Overdrive and Destiny - both of which let you play as either gender. Next on my list would be Dragon Age and Alien Isolation - which omg, both let you play as a woman. Wow.
So you can be sick of my "phoniness", but I can be sick of Ubisoft constantly shoving out white male protag games.
That's fine. I hope it works out well for you and I'm glad this is the turning point when you will no longer play games with male protagonists. Since you have no history to back up what your saying I am a little skeptical, but I hope you do keep it up. As I said earlier not buying AC unity but then turning around and buying Uncharted 4, Halo 5, or Arkham Knight isn't helping anything. But clearly the list of games you plan on buying are in line with your beliefs.

prudislav

I was really hoping (and honestly not too surprised) that this game was the pirate-y spin-off that they surveyed about last year.
Might be that majority of people in the survey answered that they want the pirate Ubi games to be part of AC series and not as separate IP :-(

mechphree

Oh so this will have ships and all that? Ehhh...seems less intriguing to me now. I understand Ubi isn't going to abandon that code they spent all that time designing those ship battles but come on. I would have wholly appreciated a brand new time line + setting instead of this baby step.

Top Bottom