• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

SOME-MIST

it's outrageous how expensive hamilton was. I entered the lottery for about 4-5 months (1 in 10,000 chance to win) and of course never won. I had to cave in and buy tickets for my girlfriend since she's also a theater actress who knew all the songs by heart (she's not one to rudely sing along with the show though). we saw it with wayne brady as well and it was very enjoyable.

ari afsar was great, but weeks later we saw phillipa soo as the lead in amelie on broadway (for $40) and it was unbelievable. I can't imagine what it would have been like seeing soo live as eliza.

Viewt

it's outrageous how expensive hamilton was. I entered the lottery for about 4-5 months (1 in 10,000 chance to win) and of course never won. I had to cave in and buy tickets for my girlfriend since she's also a theater actress who knew all the songs by heart (she's not one to rudely sing along with the show though). we saw it with wayne brady as well and it was very enjoyable.

ari afsar was great, but weeks later we saw phillipa soo as the lead in amelie on broadway (for $40) and it was unbelievable. I can't imagine what it would have been like seeing soo live as eliza.

It was pretty damn special. I'm not a Broadway guy at all, but on a whim, I decided to get us tickets to the original run in New York back in like September of 2015 before the hype got ridiculous. Managed to get us pretty great seats for around $200 a pop. They'd ballooned to over $800 by the time we were actually in NYC.

I got so damn lucky. The standouts were easily Leslie Odom as Burr, Daveed Diggs in his dual roles, and Soo and Goldsberry as Eliza and Angelica. Again, I'm not a musicals guy in the least, but you couldn't deny the raw talent on stage. Outstanding stuff.

Friend of mine has won it 4 times. Obviously the system is not truly random.

SOME-MIST

It was pretty damn special. I'm not a Broadway guy at all, but on a whim, I decided to get us tickets to the original run in New York back in like September of 2015 before the hype got ridiculous. Managed to get us pretty great seats for around $200 a pop. They'd ballooned to over $800 by the time we were actually in NYC.

I got so damn lucky. The standouts were easily Leslie Odom as Burr, Daveed Diggs in his dual roles, and Soo and Goldsberry as Eliza and Angelica. Again, I'm not a musicals guy in the least, but you couldn't deny the raw talent on stage. Outstanding stuff.

you....lucky... sonuva :p
100% great timing on your part though

it also makes me feel bad about my life that Soo is only 27 years old (younger than me) and she's already been in two broadway musicals and voiceovers in a movie.

Friend of mine has won it 4 times. Obviously the system is not truly random.
which makes me curious.... did they use an out-of-state zip code? I kept using my chicago zip since it matched my license

I get the feeling that they try to choose winners from out-of-state

ToD_

Speaking of people living across the street. I was looking for my SSID when my laptop disconnected from the WiFi, and I noticed a Chicago GAF username on the list. Was a bit of a bizarre moment.

Viewt

Yeah, it's sad. And I think it was only a couple weeks ago that somebody threw themselves in front of a Metra train.

Viewt

Suicides and accidental deaths on the L are pretty rare in my experience - I can only think of maybe 3-4 incidents like this in the four and a half years I've lived here. It's much more common on the Metra. Lots of my coworkers take it, and they bring up a situation like this every 2-3 months.

dawgparty

Saw Hir at the Steppenwolf last week. Damn incredible, I have never seen or experienced anything like it. Really bummed it's done after this week.

Anybody going to Comic Con?

ToD_

I took some pictures at the air and water show. It was challenging with the cloudy weather and the the rocking of the boat we were on. In addition, we weren't as close to the show as I would have liked so I had to rely on the planes flying over us for some of the closer shots.

5C6WRXd.jpg

TMOTjWw.jpg

GmTtUGq.jpg

0W1pc63.jpg

xbu6DVK.jpg

Viewt

So how do you guys feel about the proposed Low Line? If you're like me and you'd never heard of it, it's basically a suspended walkway below the L tracks between Southport and Paulina on the Brown Line. It looks kinda cool, but the lack of visibility from the ground is a little worrying.

It looks like it's actually on the ground in those pics.

Sounds nice, but I'd rather they spend energy nicing-up areas that aren't already gentrified.

Having a small loop that only exists downtown and nothing that makes it easy to connect to the blue line up here is my least favorite thing about the city.

Viewt

I found out that a proposal for a Circle line running more circumferentially has been around since like 2002 and now I'm pissed

The Gold Line?

I think the last time people gave it serious thought was during the failed 2016 Olympics bid. I'm not bothered that we didn't end up hosting the Olympics, but the added L line would've been dope, no doubt.

Viewt

That map still manages to screw over the brown line.

Right, you'd have to go Brown-to-Red at Fullerton, and then transfer over to the Circle on North/Clybourn.

It'd be way better if the northern edge of the loop was up in Edgewater/Andersonville (Bryn Mawr/Berwyn), then connected with the outer stops of the Brown Line like Kimball/Kedzie/Francisco before heading south to connect with the Blue at Logan Square/California, the Green at Kedzie/California, then the Kedzie stops along the southern Blue branch, the Pink line, and the Orange line. Then just link it up with the Green at Ashland/63rd and the loop is done.

Unfortunately, that will never happen in our lifetimes. :(

They could really run a line that crosses Red, Brown and Blue around Lawrence. It would be a bit out of the way for me, but a way straight west when you are up north seems to be the biggest issue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They could really run a line that crosses Red, Brown and Blue around Lawrence. It would be a bit out of the way for me, but a way straight west when you are up north seems to be the biggest issue.

Yeah, or just give me something from Belmont that cuts west and intersects the Blue line. If you're ambitious run it south to Orange so you can get to Midway too

Extend the Brown Line to the Jefferson Park Blue Line stop.

That would work too, but I'd really like to see a way to get from north to south that doesn't route through the loop so you can get from one point on the periphery to another

Viewt

Fucking gross.

Hate Speech Scrawled On Homes Of Gay Couples In Lincoln Square

Windy City Times spoke with two gay Lincoln Square couples whose "Black Lives Matter" and "Hate Has No Home Here" signs were spray painted over on Saturday night or the wee hours of Sunday morning. "Anti white cuck" was also painted on the sidewalk in front of one of the homes.

“We’re going to keep fighting for people who are disenfranchised and disempowered, and not allow bullies to win,” he said. “The fact that the signs were destroyed just makes me know that they need to be there.”

Glad to hear it's only emboldened these good people to be more outspoken in their support of civil rights.

This happened down the street from me. It's pretty gross. There's been a bit of this crop up here and there in the neighborhood. I hope someone catches the guy.

Sai-kun

Banned
i'm pretty sure it's like 4-5 people in andersonville and a whole bunch in LS lol

beach day today!!! it's really happening!!!

Viewt

i'm pretty sure it's like 4-5 people in andersonville and a whole bunch in LS lol

beach day today!!! it's really happening!!!

You're crazy! It'll be 95º+ with the humidity. My feet would burn on the sand.

Can't wait for it to cool down tomorrow.

Is anyone getting annoyed with ride-sharing or is it just me?

When Uber and Lyft started a bunch of years ago, it was nice; it was like private cabs since most of the drivers were either private drivers or cab drivers on their time off. Now since it's so ubiquitous, it's caused more headaches for me then I can count and I default back to cabs in general if I can. I see from the GPS signal that a lot of drivers have no idea how to get to where I'm at half the time, and the majority of time I have to give them directions and tell them how to get to where I'm going as the almighty GPS tells them to go a specific way (that is usually the most heavily congested). Taking something like Lower Wacker quires constant babysitting for the most part too. And even when I'm driving home, I constantly see them blocking flow of traffic waiting for people etc.

I dunno. I'm pretty much over it at this point.

clav

^ Depends on the driver. Appears there are people lost around the city and constantly make circles around the block. Also a lot of street construction.

Since when did the El add high-pitched warning beeper sound after the "doors closing" sound bite on the red and purple line trains?

I avoid uber like the plague because they're the worst. Unfortunately, all my coworkers are obsessed with it so whenever we go somewhere it's an uber.

Lyft is fine but I mainly use the train or my own car.

Viewt

I use Lyft pretty frequently, because the train is just a little too far for me to walk and I'm very lazy. The experience is all over the map. Sometimes you get experienced drivers, sometimes you get people who've driven in from Joliet and have no idea how to get around in a city. Last week a guy said to me, "You know why it's so hot out right now? Neptune is in retrograde." *turns up Umphrey's McGee playlist*

I try to take the L more now, and it's almost always better than ridesharing.

Top Bottom