• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/f...e-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess

What a tone deaf review. Automata had a fraction of the budget Horizon or Zelda had. The fact that a low budget game looks and plays as well as it does is a goddamn miracle.

And half the review is a tirade against the additional routes by a person who didn't even bother trying them. I'm just glad this messy rant didn't have a score attached.

Man, you'd think all these negative reviews would be about the first game. This was super painful to read. Criticizing a story without the full scope, or at least an effort to watch that shit on youtube is pretty shitty.

mhm

i hate that i'm stuck with lots of other stuff this weekend

i want to start this game

ugh sorry about the double post, i meant to edit this post but accidentally made a new one

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/f...e-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess

What a tone deaf review. Automata had a fraction of the budget Horizon or Zelda had. The fact that a low budget game looks and plays as well as it does is a goddamn miracle.

And half the review is a tirade against the additional routes by a person who didn't even bother trying them. I'm just glad this messy rant didn't have a score attached.

looks like you spoke too soon:

15G3qpl.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This person went into the review with the intention of slagging on the game.

He generally didn't care a single whit about the game itself including playing it past ending A and he even admits that based on some sort of false principle.

mollipen

I tweeted at the Financial Times guy. I know I shouldn't, but as someone who does reviews for a living, it bothers me that he put up a review and gave a score to a game he half played—whatever his opinion on it is.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have no idea how Financial Post suddenly started reviewing games and suddenly slams this game with... Half-assing it. So much for credibility.

What's even annoying is that Metacritic counts it.

It's like CNN suddenly starts reviewing games and their conclusion to a 40 hour game isn't like "this game is bad at 5 hours and it isn't to my liking".

Inuhanyou

I tweeted at the Financial Times guy. I know I shouldn't, but as someone who does reviews for a living, it bothers me that he put up a review and gave a score to a game he half played—whatever his opinion on it is.

I would say less than half personally

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can we contact Metacritic to not count his score.

Inuhanyou

So this is what the fans of the original NieR went through.

well in this case atleast the guy went through route A, and didn't quit before finishing the first route like some other review outlets i could mention

Inuhanyou

Content-wise, probably, but it really felt like a "first act, second act" kind of thing to me. So, "half" not being directly about actual length, but storytelling.

True, since A and B are...well structured how they are.

Its def different from the first Nier where A and B were two sides of the same coin and C and D were essentially just different endings of ending B, and of course Drakengard which only changed up its story 50% to 75% of each playthrough

YT and Platinum went above the call of duty for Automata thinking in that way

I've never heard of that site. I doubt their review is too heavily "weighted"

So hopefully two 90+ reviews from people who actually play the game properly and doesn't stop without even finishing it can bring I back up.

Easy allies you are our only hope! Also I think with review copies they need to fully explain what an ending means. I know they tried here but clearly someone slipped through the cracks.

CoolOff

Isn't it like Statistics 101 that you don't let extreme outliers affect your average? I guess I just don't understand what MC wants to achieve with their scores.

Isn't it like Statistics 101 that you don't let extreme outliers affect your average? I guess I just don't understand what MC wants to achieve with their scores.
But it is his opinion!

The same stuff was said in the Horizon thread and I feel like poor reviews like that shouldn't be counted either but what can you do?

I'm guessing it's okay to post outlier reviews now? Saw this yesterday and well, at the end of the day. a review is just someone's opinion.

http://paulsemel.com/nier-automata-review/

"Vastly better games such as The Last of Us and Horizon" hurts me. I mean I personally do not care for either game, but the problem lies that those games are not comparable neither in gameplay or budget.

It seems that a few people didn't pick up on the fact this is an RPG first with a great action game attached.

Exentryk

People that can't even be bothered to play the full game and then give scores on top of that is very very unprofessional. Their scores shouldn't be counted by Metacritic, and honestly, MC should just remove them from future list of reviewers.

Top Bottom