• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 Pre-Release Discussion (50GB Day1 Patch, Achievements, Demo/Previews on 19th)

MaLDo

Clouds movements in the skybox are definitely dynamic on Alps. I did a quick comparison as the car passes the pedestrian (?) bridge on each lap, and the cirrus clouds have shifted.

Edit: Hot damn, Prague in the darker haze looks beautiful.

As I said in the other thread, I think the skyboxes are videos. High resolution 360º videos. Every other element of the game pass through a contour mask and is superimposed over the video. That's why if you enable MSAA, a black line of artifacts appear on top of the mountains. They can "play" the sky video or "stop" it in pre-defined turns so it gives the impression of dynamic clouds.

The problem with this solution is that you are always static in the same point under the sky. I mean, you will never move forward with respect to the clouds that you have above. When you know it and you look at the sky, it produces a strange sensation of being driving without moving. The sky is a big screen playing a video recorded with a static cam.

Gestault

there are races that start in the night and end at dawn

https://youtu.be/vFl_FIdIAmU?t=14m13s

That's one of my favorite periods for racing/driving (flashbacks to my "shift" in roadtrips, I guess). I'm glad to see that range is confirmed.

As I said in the other thread, I think the skyboxes are videos. High resolution 360º videos. Every other element of the game pass through a contour mask and is superimposed over the video. That's why if you enable MSAA, a black line of artifacts appear on top of the mountains. They can "play" the sky video or "stop" it in pre-defined turns so it gives the impression of dynamic clouds.

The problem with this solution is that you are always static in the same point under the sky. I mean, you will never move forward with respect to the clouds that you have above. When you know it and you look at the sky, it produces a strange sensation of being driving without moving. The sky is a big screen playing a video recorded with a static cam.

For the most part, that's exactly what we know about it, because they confirmed it was the same 12K (?) capture setup they used for Horizon 3. Unless they changed the implementation from that, there's more to it than just the linear sequence. Different cloud groups seem to be "tagged" and can be pulled in/out with some morphology/blending depending on what the game needs. That said, we know from the alps track and some others that they also have a real-time layer of local condensation that shows the parallax you'd expect within a quarter mile or so of the ground.

Above a certain height, unless you're moving distances further than you ever would on a track, there's no perceptual movement in clouds above you. They generally move in relation to you.

Error1355

Is there going to be an Xbox One pre-load for this one? I recently went from a house with 300 Mbps download speeds to 30... So I'll be hurting for a bit. <_<

Gestault

Is there going to be an Xbox One pre-load for this one? I recently went from a house with 300 Mbps download speeds to 30... So I'll be hurting for a bit. <_<

If the other games have been an indication, it should be up basically a full week beforehand. Actually one of the general perks of their "Ultimate Edition" giving early access (even to those on the regular edition).

Error1355

If the other games have been an indication, it should be up basically a full week beforehand. Actually one of the general perks of their "Ultimate Edition" giving early access (even to those on the regular edition).

Awesome. I've been a Ultimate Edition/Collectors Edition buyer since Forza 4 on so I'll get the Xbox One setup and don't wanna wait a full day of just downloading now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Anyone spot God rays from a setting/rising Sun peaking over a hill or through trees?

I preordered standard edition and it started preload immidiately, before paying for the game, will check how much GB have been downloaded!!!
Edit:eek:nly cca. 110MB :-(, at least from what i can see.

Spa at night

https://youtu.be/G0WK0EqmAcs

Not sure what's going on with the lighting inside the cockpit only affecting the driver
Well, the interior of a McLaren F1 is so black it's like how much more black could it be? And the answer is none, none more black*. It's like a black hole, even light can not escape.

A serious answer maybe that the driver is in white which reflects what little light enters the cockpit far more than the black alcoved dashboard. You do see light bounce of the dash but not often as at Spa the only light source are the car lights. There is no track side lighting at all.
*Nigel Tufnell.

MaLDo

I prefer the look of Forza 6 Prague track. And there are missing shadows in F7. And the lighting in the buildings seems better in 6 too.

forza67r4u6k.jpg

spuckthew

Settings for those playing with 1070?

Also no performance metrics? Poo

Maxed, 4xMSAA, dynamic off. Although I never saw my framerate, it felt totally smooth at 1080p (the menus hitch like a bitch though). This is paired with a 4670K at stock speed.

Frostman

Settings for those playing with 1070?

Also no performance metrics? Poo

You should be able to play at 4K with a 1070. (Ultra, 4X MSAA)

I'm running a Vega 56 and am playing at 4K all settings maxed but 4X MSAA. Its running at a Locked 60.

Izuna

Banned
You should be able to play at 4K with a 1070. (Ultra, 4X MSAA)

I'm running a Vega 56 and am playing at 4K all settings maxed but 4X MSAA. Its running at a Locked 60.

I'm gunna do some testing today, I should get 75hz with 1440p in that case.

frontieruk

Hi guys,

In prep for Forza 7 I've just been through the request list for membership to Forza GAF, we've got 23 requests that I can't tie to a GAF member.

As such I'm going to reject all of them, I apologise to any legit requests but as the admins asked to be notified and there are six of us or you havent added yourself to the spreadsheet mentioned here...

Alright boys and girls of ForzaGAF, I have the spreadsheet ready! I removed all the old info, so you are going to have to re-add yourself.

Quote this post to see the link and then add in your info!

If you want adding please drop one of us a line via pm on GAF

Gestault
Zorbsie
Noobcraft
RawNuts
SkinnerSw33t
Frontieruk

Cross posting for visibility to potential new members.

ascully

Preload is noon central time on the 26th if posts on the official Forza forums are to be believed.

Free Fate of the Furious car pack for people who get the Ultimate/Delux editions.

Trailer

Car list:
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1968 Dodge Charger The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R Coupe The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1971 Plymouth GTX The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2016 Subaru WRX STI The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2018 Dodge Demon The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Special The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2015 Mercedes-AMG GT S The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2013 Subaru BRZ The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2014 Local Motors Rally Fighter The Fate of the Furious Edition

The Cuban Fleetline being in there with no hood or doors is pretty fuckin awesome.

Gestault

Free Fate of the Furious car pack for people who get the Ultimate/Delux editions.

Trailer

Car list:
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1968 Dodge Charger The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R Coupe The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1971 Plymouth GTX The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2016 Subaru WRX STI The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2018 Dodge Demon The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Special The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2015 Mercedes-AMG GT S The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2013 Subaru BRZ The Fate of the Furious Edition
- 2014 Local Motors Rally Fighter The Fate of the Furious Edition

The Cuban Fleetline being in there with no hood or doors is pretty fuckin awesome.

I hate that I want this. The Hoonigan pack was excellent for messing around.

willbsn13

Free-Play has seen a large update in FM7. Could perhaps be useful info for the OT

Firstly, we are no longer restricted to doing just circuit racing. We can select the mode now, and do Drift, Drag, Time-Based Mode, Multi-class racing etc

Multiclass Confirmation here, see the dialog box text on the right

QJb6bc4.png

The car restrictions options have been improved upon hugely from 6. We can select ranges for PI, Curb Weight, Model Family, Power, Year, Region etc.

Weather options are there (for tracks that have dynamic weather). You can choose

* Start Race Scenario
* Mid Race Scenario
* Mid Race Probability (so chance of the mid race scenario happening)
* End Race Scenario
* End Race Probability

Within these five options you can choose lots of settings like;

* Partly Cloudly
* Overcast
* Summer Drizzle
* Light Rain
* Moderate Rain
* Heavy Rain
* Thin Fog
* Dense Fog
* Rain Thunder
* Rain Lightning

Qualifying is now an option in free-play sessions too with Grid Ordering by Best Lap (of the last race) and the ability to change scoring types. (Check the dialog box on the right for confirmation)

NDnGmez.png

r9pVFl4.png

So yeah, probably some important info there for a lot of people

Gestault

Free-Play has seen a large update in FM7. Could perhaps be useful info for the OT

Firstly, we are no longer restricted to doing just circuit racing. We can select the mode now, and do Drift, Drag, Time-Based Mode, Multi-class racing etc

QJb6bc4.png

The car restrictions options have been improved upon hugely from 6. We can select ranges for PI, Curb Weight, Model Family, Power, Year, Region etc.

Weather options are there (for tracks that have dynamic weather). You can choose

* Start Race Scenario
* Mid Race Scenario
* End Race Scenario
* End Race Probability

* Partly Cloudly
* Overcast
* Summer Drizzle
* Light Rain
* Moderate Rain
* Heavy Rain
* Thin Fog
* Dense Fog
* Rain Thunder
* Rain Lightning

Qualifying is now an option in free-play sessions too with Grid Ordering by Best Lap (of the last race) and the ability to change scoring types. (Check the dialog box on the right for confirmation)

NDnGmez.png

r9pVFl4.png

Dayum. All right, that's some good stuff. Thanks for the info!

shandy706

QJb6bc4.png

* Start Race Scenario
* Mid Race Scenario
* End Race Scenario
* End Race Probability

* Partly Cloudly
* Overcast
* Summer Drizzle
* Light Rain
* Moderate Rain
* Heavy Rain
* Thin Fog
* Dense Fog
* Rain Thunder
* Rain Lightning

NDnGmez.png

r9pVFl4.png

Hopefully reviews go into this stuff. Good stuff.

Bgamer90

Banned

QJb6bc4.png

* Start Race Scenario
* Mid Race Scenario
* End Race Scenario
* End Race Probability

* Partly Cloudly
* Overcast
* Summer Drizzle
* Light Rain
* Moderate Rain
* Heavy Rain
* Thin Fog
* Dense Fog
* Rain Thunder
* Rain Lightning

NDnGmez.png

r9pVFl4.png

Man. Great stuff.

I prefer the look of Forza 6 Prague track. And there are missing shadows in F7. And the lighting in the buildings seems better in 6 too.

forza67r4u6k.jpg
I still think 6 had the best mix of light flare and brightness, you can really see the limits of the dynamic time of day and weather system in 7, hopefully a true forza only for Xbox X will fix these problems one day...

Quick tip if your Xbox copy isn't downloading. Uninstall the small file that the pre-order added to your console. Then if you go to your library and find Forza 7 you can download the full game.

c0de

I don't know what you are trying to say, to be honest.
As far as I know, they use the same tech like in FH3. Which has moving clouds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTt_UVstdFo

c0de

the clouds move because they are video. there are no clouds above you producing the shadow map that moves across the ground. it's a neat trick but at the same time as c0de mention lacks realistic depth.

I don't understand this sentence but it's interesting to see that in the distance, the shadows work on the mountains but almost no shadows are on the road.

I don't understand this sentence but it's interesting to see that in the distance, the shadows work on the mountains but almost no shadows are on the road.

How long did you watch the video for? Because there are plenty of shadows on the road.

c0de

How long did you watch the video for? Because there are plenty of shadows on the road.

Sometimes, yes, but they seem to be not really connected to what is happening in the sky above. That doesn't mean anyone will notice while driving anyway, though.

I disagree. They seem related to sun angle and cloud position. You can see that as the sun sets and goes behind a few clouds, at that angle the shadows fall on the road. Those shadows appear at exactly the right time the sun moves into those clouds as it sets.

Earlier in the video with the sun overhead you see lots of shadows on the mountain because they are far away and you can see the effect over a wide area. But because you're looking at a small area close up you're only going to see the effect of one cloud at a time - unlike looking over to the mountains.

Top Bottom