• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

I've played an engine for years and I've never actually kitswapped before, save to switching to one for ranged combat. Probabaly why my dps is so low on that class.

Holosmith seems like you wouldn't really need to do it though, if you built out your spec right.

So which of the three choices early on in PoF is the best one to pick?

Siding with undead is obviously bad so going with either Amnoon remaining independant or aligning with Sunspears seem to be the only possible choices.

Morokh

So which of the three choices early on in PoF is the best one to pick?

Siding with undead is obviously bad so going with either Amnoon remaining independant or aligning with Sunspears seem to be the only possible choices.

Unless you want to go for a role-play answer, there is no good or bad choice.
All it affects is NPC chatter in the city, and the unlocking of a collection for a faction-themed ascended backpack.
Obviously you can do it on 3 different characters to unlock the 3 skins.

Dizzy-4U

Domain of Vabbi needs work FPS drop in that map is horrible,, never had a map drop FPS like that in GW franchise, i go from 70fps to 19, at one point it was zero fps....
I'm on a very old machine but there is one hero challenge that drops to 9 fps. It's the one where it's in a big white bubble. I dunno how I'm gonna finish that one considering that the waypoint is very far away.

Unless you want to go for a role-play answer, there is no good or bad choice.
All it affects is NPC chatter in the city, and the unlocking of a collection for a faction-themed ascended backpack.
Obviously you can do it on 3 different characters to unlock the 3 skins.

I'm not really interested in ascended/crafting/collection stuff or anything like that.

I just wanted to know which one has the best story outcome since I know some people have already gone through the whole thing already.

I thought I heard that it affects later story missions or something? I haven't had any luck in finding people discussing which one is the best for the story which prompted me to ask here.

Stuart444

Gotta admit, one of the funnest things so far in PoF is finding how you can climb up places or get to places that only mounts can get. Like some places are intended for one mount but you can figure out a way using other mounts or places where you're not sure how to get, so you try figuring out how best to use your mounts to reach the area.

It's quite fun <3

Massicot

I just did the Mini Dungeon in the highlands. It's really good. I almost felt like I was playing a different game. The only thing that was kind of annoying was only being able to gather 1 runestone at a time.

Bring a friend and check it out. Just go south from the Derelict waypoint.

Dungeon Picture: https://i.imgur.com/holMeSG.jpg

Jira

I just did the Mini Dungeon in the highlands. It's really good. I almost felt like I was playing a different game. The only thing that was kind of annoying was only being able to gather 1 runestone at a time.

You might want to spoiler that entire post, dude.

Gonna jump back in for the first time since launch. Will I be pleased, GAF?

This expansion is the best work ArenaNet has ever done as a company. If you like exploration, you're going to absolutely love it for that reason alone. The changes that the game has gone through since launch are too immense to list. The amount of quality of life changes alone are staggering, you're going to have to learn a lot.

Massicot

You might want to spoiler that entire post, dude.

This expansion is the best work ArenaNet has ever done as a company. If you like exploration, you're going to absolutely love it for that reason alone. The changes that the game has gone through since launch are too immense to list. The amount of quality of life changes alone are staggering, you're going to have to learn a lot.

I purposely picked the least spoilery image I took, but sure.

Dizzy-4U

Got the Hydra Staff from a Black Lion Chest. I don't know if this thing is rare or not but man, it looks so nasty, I like it.

untitled-1puske.png

Getting used to Deadeye. Kneeling takes some practice only because you have to press it again to get up. The new mark ability is really good in that it resets after every kill and with the current traits I'm using I get 4 seconds of quickness every time I mark a new target so I can quickly pick off an enemy then move to the next.

I want them to focus on thieves for the next xpac elite spec though.

Give thieves new ways to summon thieves and traits to augment how they perform.

I really like how you can summon a bunch of thieves right now because it reminds me of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood which is a game I loved due to the assassin recruit system.

There are a bunch of different thief types (D/D, P/P and Daredevil, haven't noticed a Deadeye thief yet) and they like to steal aggro from you which is good for a Deadeye that prefers to not have to move.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm going full hunter as a deadeye with rifle and sb, no melee be damned.

Deadeye works as a power build right?

Gonna jump back in for the first time since launch. Will I be pleased, GAF?

I've been on this train for the past couple of days. Slowly working my way up to level 80 (got to lvl 47 tonight).

It's good. Honestly, not sure why I never kept going with it previously. I think the blessing and curse of guild wars is that since there's no monthly fee, there's also no pressure for you to focus on it, so it can become a bit easy to put down if you get distracted by another game.

Violet_0

Banned
hm, I just solo'd Mordremoth (Reaper, eazy). Is the first Elder Dragon solo-able as well?
Crafting always works. Weapons in particular are pretty reasonable, especially specialization collection items and the free ascended weapons you can quest for after hot.

Rings/trinkets/amulets can best be acquired through fractals, guild missions, and laurels respectively.
from what I can tell, the Leyline achievement seems to be the easiest way to get one? I already have 3 of them, and the rest can be bought if needed

jmartoine

hm, I just solo'd Mordremoth (Reaper, eazy). Is the first Elder Dragon solo-able as well?

from what I can tell, the Leyline achievement seems to be the easiest way to get one? I already have 3 of them, and the rest can be bought if needed

Yes it is. The final story mission with Zhaitan is solo-able now, at launch it was a group mission but they patched it before HoT.

Playing through the story again on my sylvari is reminding me how much better the Human female VA is compared to Hale. During on of the Herald fights, the pc gives an incredibly flippant (appropriately) "I am stronger than you" and the Sylvari version of the line is just bread sandwich.
I hate how Hale's performance of the female sylvari PC has changed over time. In the beginning of the personal story she sounds great... But as she becomes more authoritative it just gets worse and worse. During the Living World she often sounds like she has no context for any of the lines she is responding to.

Stuart444

Good lord...first review of PoF was written by someone who hasn't played the expansion and uses screens from Bloodstone Fen....If you read the "review" you'll see that it reads like someone writing an article based on some pre-release fact sheet. There's not one single bit of information in that review showing the person actually played the game.

http://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/feel-the-burn-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-reviewed/

Oh man... just lol.

Dungeon Picture: https://i.imgur.com/holMeSG.jpg

I want to check this out now :D

I'm on a very old machine but there is one hero challenge that drops to 9 fps. It's the one where it's in a big white bubble. I dunno how I'm gonna finish that one considering that the waypoint is very far away.
Fixed an issue with Mastery-point djinn in the Domain of Vabbi that could cause them to spawn additional shield pylons when defeated.

Looks like last night patch may have fixed it, just reading the patch notes now, gonna have to go in game and check it out later..

Topper

I've been having a lot of fun so far, only have raptor mount but it feels great to ride, they nailed the "mount physics" I guess you would call it. I'm in GAF guild but have never seen anyone talk, are my chat options messed up?

My one complaint is I feel like I'm leveling my masteries too fast? I have raptor level 2 but have been maxed on it for a bit without having anything else to dump my XP into, is all this XP wasted or will it roll over once I either get a new mount or more mastery points to continue leveling raptor? It's not a big deal but is making m feel like I should ignore all other activities and only focus on other mounts for mastery points.

Stuart444

Breached Wall JP/Hero Point. Gliding is disabled... but I can still bunny up :D

From experience most of the GAF discussion goes on in the Discord.

From what I saw, even before Discord, the guild chat was quiet. Usually GAF discussion was in here. Guess it's cause most people talk in other Guild chats or just don't use guild chat much at all.

th3dude

I was just thinking last night now much of a pain it is to try to swap mounts while trying to climb something, like Raptor back to Springer, etc.

Turns out in the options you can set hot-keys for each mount. Haven't tried it yet, but it is off by default I guess.

Dizzy-4U

I was just thinking last night now much of a pain it is to try to swap mounts while trying to climb something, like Raptor back to Springer, etc.

Turns out in the options you can set hot-keys for each mount. Haven't tried it yet, but it is off by default I guess.
Yeah, I have 3 on the side mouse buttons and for the 4th one I click on the UI. Pretty great.

I’m finally using my F-keys for this purpose.

th3dude

I’m finally using my F-keys for this purpose.

That's a great idea.

I'm currently using the default setup, which puts my elite skills at F1, F2.

What do you all use as your keybindings? I'm finding the defaults pretty clunky, plus the F keys seem like a great place for mounts like you mentioned.

Stuart444

Thing that annoys me most about this game is that if I'm out of the game for an extended period of time, the game starts to lag harder and harder. It's like this on here, my laptop and my old comp. It's just something about the game. :/

If it starts to lag too much, a restart helps but still annoying.

That's a great idea.

What do you all use as your keybindings? I'm finding the defaults pretty clunky, plus the F keys seem like a great place for mounts like you mentioned.

I'm using the gamepad set up since I play with my Dualshock 4. I did make some changes to it so I could put all the mount keybinds to it (and thus my mounts are now default: X (always leave it on raptor), Shift + F6/F7/etc for the other mounts)

Jira

Big Jira does.

I don't normally at all. The only reason I did was cause I saw it on metacritic and said hmm it's been 3 days how could they have possibly reviewed it already? So I clicked, read it and thought wow this person did not even play the game. Metacritic scores are very crucial for a game and the devs. Obsidian didn't get a company wide bonus when FO:NV didn't meet a metacritic threshold by 2 points.

That's a great idea.

I put my mounts on my number pad.

Still have e, r, f, c for utilities and 2-5 for weapons. 6 elite. I use action cam, so autoattack is LMB.

Q for dodge, mouse button 3 for the special action key.

That's a great idea.

I mostly stick with the defaults, but I did add dedicated mount specific keys on shift+1, shift+2, etc. I definitely recommend this.

I also still occasionally use C for closest enemy, just something I got used to from Guild Wars 1, though I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea.

Massicot

I mostly stick with the defaults, but I did add dedicated mount specific keys on shift+1, shift+2, etc. I definitely recommend this.

I also still occasionally use C for closest enemy, just something I got used to from Guild Wars 1, though I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea.

I set C to closest enemy a long time ago. I can't imagine that button being anything else after a decade, lol .

Spyware

Hehe, GW1 was pretty much just an endless clicking of "Ctrl+C+Space, Ctrl+C+Space, Ctrl+C+Space" :D

That's a great idea.

Since the launch of GW2, I’ve had F1 rebound to Q, F2 rebound to Shift+Q, F3 rebound to E, and F4 rebound to Shift+E. A and D are my strafe keys - keyboard turning is terrible.

Top Bottom