• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

It's worth noting that there seems to be some (a lot) of variance on the stiffness of the d-pad.

I've heard people say that theirs is almost unusably stiff, and others whose are not stiff at all. Mine is the latter.

Good to know. Compared it to a bunch of controllers and the PS4 d-pad feels practically mushy in comparison. Not sure where mine falls on the spectrum of stiffness but it is definitely not unusable.

Did a second pass on this. Will probably do one more unless anything else is found and then send it over to Hamster. Would like to give Neo Turf Masters a look before sending, as well.

I figure for any of the bugs and/or improvements that have been discussed to have a shot of actually happening, getting it all in a concise and easy to follow place then linking Hamster to it is the best bet. Maybe with even some light translation if anyone is able/willing would be super helpful. Here is a quick and dirty pass that I will improve as I have time. Please further detail or let me know anything I am overlooking.

To be clear to anyone wandering in, personally I don't find any of the below as a major barrier to not consider getting these games so please don't interpret it as shit's busted.

Bugs - All Games
  • Audio Delay -- Demonstrated here. *Captured using current latest version which fixed the color problems.
Bugs - Metal Slug 3
  • Autofire -- Sporadic start up. Input can be dropped when tapping the button.
  • Excessive Slowdown -- This one is difficult to demonstrate and unlikely to be improved so focusing on excessive slowdown problems not originally present will be the most productive. If you know of a particular section or boss fight let me know. If we are not able to demonstrate specific examples here I'm gonna drop this before linking.
Bugs - King of Fighters '98
  • Music -- Theme is missing the vocal track.
Improvements
  • BIOS Switch - Ability to flip between MVS and AES
  • Continues - Ability to set number of continues rather than just on/off
  • Scanlines -- Configure post processing blur and scanlines independently.

antibolo

Banned
Excessive slowdown in Metal Slug 3? As in moreso than on the real hardware? I find that hard to believe.

The Metal Slug games tend to run better on emulators than the real hardware, because emulators can cheat and run the virtual CPU at a higher clock speed. So if one is used to playing Metal Slug on emulators they may be falsely thinking that sluggishness might be caused by poor emulation, but that's actually an accurate rendition of how it's supposed to run.

It gets even worse with 2 players. I played through the game with a friend on my consolized MVS, and some parts like the stage 1 boss slow down to a fucking crawl.

Excessive slowdown in Metal Slug 3? As in moreso than on the real hardware? I find that hard to believe.

The Metal Slug games tend to run better on emulators than the real hardware, because emulators can cheat and run the virtual CPU at a higher clock speed. So if one is used to playing Metal Slug on emulators they may be falsely thinking that sluggishness might be caused by emulation issues, but that's actually an accurate rendition of how it's supposed to run.

People earlier in the thread were saying it is excessive so why I am calling out for specific examples. I don't have access to the original hardware, but going by memory (not the greatest method) nothing stands out as excessive to me, either. I don't want to bother calling Hamster out on it unless there are specific examples.

deadfolk

"NEO TURF MASTERS" is a golf game released by SNK in 1996. Players can choose from a total of six golfers with different abilities and play on courses located around the world such as Australia or Germany. Players can test out their golf game skills against friends with game modes such as "STROKE PLAY" and "MATCH PLAY (2P battle only)".

Makes it sound like it's 2P only. Not true, right? I can play vs. CPU?

"NEO TURF MASTERS" is a golf game released by SNK in 1996. Players can choose from a total of six golfers with different abilities and play on courses located around the world such as Australia or Germany. Players can test out their golf game skills against friends with game modes such as "STROKE PLAY" and "MATCH PLAY (2P battle only)".

Makes it sound like it's 2P only. Not true, right? I can play vs. CPU?

I believe Match play (where the hold ends once player sinks the putt at a lower score and it just tracks how many holes you win, not your overall score) is 2P only.

The rest of the game should be 1 player and Stroke play versus CPU

deadfolk

I believe Match play (where the hold ends once player sinks the putt at a lower score and it just tracks how many holes you win, not your overall score) is 2P only.

The rest of the game should be 1 player and Stroke play versus CPU

Thanks - that's what I was hoping. The wording of the the is ambiguous and had me a little worried. Planning to grab this today.

EDarkness

I picked up KoF '98 yesterday and got utterly destroyed. I used to be good with Terry, but now I can't even win a round against him. The computer just thrashes me. Gonna have to practice a lot, I think.

Playing as handheld or with grip? Its not easy on the handheld but if you play with the grip and make sure to keep the lower part of your thumb between all four buttons it might work okay for you.

I am primarily a pad player on PC fighters so I'm used to that thumb position. I have the calluses to prove it. Still struggling on the joycon.

Probably wouldn't if this port had practice mode.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

The Metal Slug games tend to run better on emulators than the real hardware, because emulators can cheat and run the virtual CPU at a higher clock speed. So if one is used to playing Metal Slug on emulators they may be falsely thinking that sluggishness might be caused by poor emulation, but that's actually an accurate rendition of how it's supposed to run.

It gets even worse with 2 players. I played through the game with a friend on my consolized MVS, and some parts like the stage 1 boss slow down to a fucking crawl.
The game has more slowdown on the Switch than on the Wii VC from what I've noticed.

EDarkness

I am primarily a pad player on PC fighters so I'm used to that thumb position. I have the calluses to prove it. Still struggling on the joycon.

Yeah, I REALLY wish it had a practice mode. I want to practice with a couple of characters since I don't know their moves and would really like to mess around with them to get better.

Kinda wanna grab Shock Troopers today or tommorow, is it any good?

You bet your ass it's good!

KOF98 is missing the opening vocals.

Thank you! I knew there was something missing.

Yeah, I REALLY wish it had a practice mode. I want to practice with a couple of characters since I don't know their moves and would really like to mess around with them to get better.

Not ideal but set time limit to slowest and have a dummy second player. Much easier if you have a second controller, but you can flip it back and forth in the OS menu if you only have joy cons.

Zekes!

Windjammers is coming to PS4 and Vita. I think Sony may have struck some sort of deal to have it on their platforms, so I don't think it will appear anywhere else for awhile.

Yeah, but that's an updated version of Windjammers by DotEmu with online and all that

I don't think that rules out a potential straight port release for the Switch, but apparently there rights around Windjammers were all mixed up given that it's a DataEast joint.

Anyways, Shock Troopers might be my next pick up after I beat Blaster Master Zero

cireza

Banned
Did a second pass on this. Will probably do one more unless anything else is found and then send it over to Hamster. Would like to give Neo Turf Masters a look before sending, as well.
If you are to contact Hamster, then please also include what I have been explaining concerning ratio and scanlines.

They must allow exactly x4 original resolution (their 100 ratio being based on x3 resolution does not allow exact x4 original resolution).

For x4, they should offer a much better scanlines pattern. You can see it in my post here :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231580781&postcount=245
The pattern I am talking about is to the right of the picture.

Sure, it takes some efforts to do what I ask, but when you are meant to display 240p games on 1080p screens, having a proper x4 resolution and good scanlines looks like the least developers should do.

Their current solution is fine for the Switch screen (as it is 720p). So ratio = 100 (x3) and their scanlines pattern is ok for this. Not for 1080p gaming on TV.

If you are to contact Hamster, then please also include what I have been explaining concerning ratio and scanlines.

I've been meaning to take a bunch of screenshots and do better analysis after declaring 150/scanline disabled "good enough" so thank you for pointing this out. Will dig in this afternoon.

Oddduck

Keep the Neo Geo games coming. I'm loving it so far.

I'm planning to download Neo Turf Masters and Shock Troopers tonight.

seriously,how many frames has the turf master golf player animation??
that must be the smoothest animation of any 2D game ever.
holy shit

Pinky

Banned
seriously,how many frames has the turf master golf player animation??
that must be the smoothest animation of any 2D game ever.
holy shit

I know, right??? I wasn't familiar with this game, so I checked it out on YT. I saw the golf club swing animation and was like "Damn, that's impressive!"

Timu

Does the difficulty things in the menu change things a lot? Level 4 keeps beating me haha.
Yes, definitely, Level 1 is way too easy for that game, Level 3 is the most balanced in difficulty since that's the real normal difficultly while Level 4 is closer to hard.

This is true for all KOF games from 1994 to 2003.

Neo Turf Masters has the audio delay. Didn't notice anything else obvious in the 40 whole seconds I played. Hell of a game. If you like golf games even a tiny bit you should absolutely check it out.

Are the issues in these glaring? I want to jump on Metal Slug 3 (since I buy it on almost every platform available) but im worried abour the shooting problems.

imo, the audio delay is the worst issue, and that is going to effect everyone differently. Watch the video from the list above. If you don't notice it in the full motion sections then you will be fine. I think this is one of those things like framerate where some people say 30/60 looks barely any different and for some it is an ocean.

EDarkness

Are the issues in these glaring? I want to jump on Metal Slug 3 (since I buy it on almost every platform available) but im worried abour the shooting problems.

I bought Metal Slug 3 and I thought it was fine. I don't even notice the audio issues and wouldn't have even known they were there if it wasn't for this thread. Still, I've put a few hours into the game and I'm happy with my purchase. I don't think anyone who really likes the game or the genre will be unhappy with it.

Futureman

I wonder if these games would be on Virtual Console if Nintendo had it ready for launch? Does it really matter to a publisher?

Ludist210

I wonder if these games would be on Virtual Console if Nintendo had it ready for launch? Does it really matter to a publisher?
They'd probably charge the same amount regardless, so I don't think it really matters. Do these games have save states and the same UI across the board?

I'm genuinely curious about these games. I'm not much of a fighting games guy, but I have wanted to try Neo Geo classics for some time...what are the best to jump in on that are on Switch right now?

They must allow exactly x4 original resolution (their 100 ratio being based on x3 resolution does not allow exact x4 original resolution).

For x4, they should offer a much better scanlines pattern. You can see it in my post here :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231580781&postcount=245
The pattern I am talking about is to the right of the picture.

Sure, it takes some efforts to do what I ask, but when you are meant to display 240p games on 1080p screens, having a proper x4 resolution and good scanlines looks like the least developers should do.

Their current solution is fine for the Switch screen (as it is 720p). So ratio = 100 (x3) and their scanlines pattern is ok for this. Not for 1080p gaming on TV.

Well... I took a bunch of screenshots and then loaded them up only to remember the screenshot feature adds a ton of jpeg artifacts. They are not entirely worthless, but it does make sub-pixel noise difficult to be precise about. This is the best I could figure out though I forgot to enable widescreen to make the math easier, and am cropping using a laptop touchpad sooo.. not ideal, work with me here. I am going to redo it all pulling direct samples out of HDMI this weekend.

100x100 = 576x448 = 2x
133x100 = 766x594 = 2.66x
150x100 = 864x672 = 3x
160x100 = 922x717 = 3.2ish
161x100 = This tops it out at 720p

The curious thing is this seems to be true regardless of TV or handheld mode. Which would mean that it always renders 720p and scales up to 1080p (blargh) in TV mode, or possibly the screenshot just uses 720p no matter what. I'll know more when I take better shots.

In short, if you care about pixels even a tiny bit the only settings to play on are 100x100 (2x) and 150x100 (3x). 150 should work pretty well for scanlines depending on how they do it (I didn't dig much into the scaline screenshots, I'm tired and these shots suck anyway), but this may all go out the window when I see what is really happening at 1080p.

I know the size of the display settings for portable mode should be 150 but what about the number underneath it(ratio)???

Is 100 the best setting for that in portable mode???

Just saw the post above, haha, got it.

Which would mean that it always renders 720p and scales up to 1080p (blargh) in TV mode, or possibly the screenshot just uses 720p no matter what. I'll know more when I take better shots.

I read somewhere that Switch screenshots were all 720p whatever the docked resolution is. Can't find the source.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I figure for any of the bugs and/or improvements that have been discussed to have a shot of actually happening, getting it all in a concise and easy to follow place then linking Hamster to it is the best bet. Maybe with even some light translation if anyone is able/willing would be super helpful. Here is a quick and dirty pass that I will improve as I have time. Please further detail or let me know anything I am overlooking.

To be clear to anyone wandering in, personally I don't find any of the below as a major barrier to not consider getting these games so please don't interpret it as shit's busted.

Straight Up Bugs
  • Sound Delay -- Video demonstration would be aces, will see what I can do
  • Autofire -- Still unclear if this is an actual bug or working as intended. Will investigate.
  • Excessive Slowdown -- This one is difficult to demonstrate and unlikely to be improved so focusing on excessive slowdown problems not originally present will be the most productive. If you know of a particular section or boss fight let me know.
  • Anything else?
Would Be Cool
  • BIOS Switch - Ability to flip between MVS and AES (assuming some weird licensing thing or whatever isn't holding this up somehow)
  • Continues - Ability to set number of continues rather than just on/off
  • Scanlines -- Configure the post processing blur and scanlines independently.
  • More? (Note: trying to keep these as focused and grounded as possible. Yes, there are all sorts of cool stuff in the greater possibility space, but try to be realistic with any suggestions, please.)

I can back up that metal slug 3 claim, im glad it isnt just me, I have so much trouble just trying to autofire, I thought the slowdown was part of the game though, like a 1:1 port, but I guess its actuallyisnt suppose to be like that im guessing from your post, also, though it hasent done it the last time i played, it still took like 2 seconds before it exists out of the pause menu

EDarkness

I can back up that metal slug 3 claim, im glad it isnt just me, I have so much trouble just trying to autofire, I thought the slowdown was part of the game though, like a 1:1 port, but I guess its actuallyisnt suppose to be like that im guessing from your post, also, though it hasent done it the last time i played, it still took like 2 seconds before it exists out of the pause menu

I played the original Metal Slug 3 on an actual NeoGeo back in the day (my friend has one with all original carts) and it would slowdown something fierce. Sometimes you'd be on the verge of getting screenshots. It was insane. I don't think people remember the original games on original hardware. My friend always said it was a "feature". Yeah...

T-0800

I know, right??? I wasn't familiar with this game, so I checked it out on YT. I saw the golf club swing animation and was like "Damn, that's impressive!"

Shame it uses the same swing for tee shot and a shot just off the green.

Can you play these Neo Geo games with a single joycon? I want to do multiplayer Neo Turf Masters with the pair I already have.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'm adjusting to the D-Pad for KOF but it hurts rolling my thumb between the button gaps. Would 100% prefer a normal D-pad at this point.

Top Bottom