• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Staf

Ok, only played roughly an hour. But man do i love it! The controls are much better than i expected on the PS4. And the combat, thought i've only had one encounter so far, seems super great. Got a fighter and a enchanter, seems like a good pair skill wise.

epmode

Alright, I think I'll be switching it up. Taking the rogue NPC instead of the warrior.

So that makes an earth+fire wizard, a water+air wizard, a rogue and an archer. I'm thinking of putting some witchcraft skills on the archer and I'll probably still take Glass Cannon even after the nerf. The extra AP is ridiculously useful.

VERY EXCITED TO PLAY THIS AGAIN

By the way, is the best wizard combo really earth+fire on one and water+air on the other? I don't remember if that was the way to go.

Quonny

Question: Is the quest log updated at all? I see that there's new content, but the quest log in the original (huehue) game was really vague and not at all helpful. I'm not asking for giant pointers or map pings, but damn that thing was useless and really made it impossible to pick up the game if you even put it down for a just a few days.

danowat

Banned
Question: Is the quest log updated at all? I see that there's new content, but the quest log in the original (huehue) game was really vague and not at all helpful. I'm not asking for giant pointers or map pings, but damn that thing was useless and really made it impossible to pick up the game if you even put it down for a just a few days.

There are pointers on the map, at least with the default settings on the PS4

Zakalwe

Banned
I loved this fame first time round, really excited to run it again with everything I learnt.

It's wonderful these updates are free, that they went back and made such significant improvements long after release.

Larian obviously love their game. The cake is real.

By the way, is the best wizard combo really earth+fire on one and water+air on the other? I don't remember if that was the way to go.

Well yes and no, it's kinda weird. Technically, earth and fire combine well while water and air combine well. However if you have both on one mage, it means that one mage needs to have enough AP to do its own combos.

If instead you have water+earth on one and fire+lightning on the other, you can have one mage do a bunch of "setups" by dropping some poison and some water in various places, then the 2nd mage activating all the setups with fire and lightning. This is only good if you make sure your mages have different speed/initiative so you know one goes before the first everytime, and isn't necessarily good, especially if the activator mage gets CCed or straight up die, since the other mage becomes pretty useless.

So matter of taste, having both the "setup" and "activation" schools on the same mages let them be independant, while having both on each lets you combo better in a given round by using AP more efficiently in many cases.

Oh and obviously, you can also get Witchcraft, which is pretty solid and doesn't need any other school to activate.

epmode

Ah, right. I remember loving Glass Cannon because I was able to use all that extra AP to have one mage cast a combo all on his own. I wonder if the nerfed version is still good enough for that.

alerus

Neo Member
Have they made it so that skill book availability is not random at merchants with merchants only re-rolling per-level? I really hated that aspect of the leveling design and just forced me to save scum.

rpcdrag0n

Started the PS4 version over the weekend and already I love it. Playing this at the same time as Wasteland 2 on console is just sublime - Halo 5...pffft whatever.

Question: Are there weapons with elemental affinities or weapons that give magic attacks? Just wondering whether to go battle mage or fighter for one of the MCs
Scrolling through responses, but I don't see the answer.

I backed D:OS 2 on Kickstarter, haven't played OS, awaiting a download code. I would suppose that will be out today as well?

I assume you chose the Original Sin pack?

If so, go to the larian vault website and connect your Kickstarter email there. You will receive your codes.

aranth

Scrolling through responses, but I don't see the answer.

I backed D:OS 2 on Kickstarter, haven't played OS, awaiting a download code. I would suppose that will be out today as well?

Go to the Larian Vault, create an account if you don't have one yet and you will see a D:OS2 Kickstarter header. Click that option and it will ask your kickstarter email to link the profiles and give you the rewards of your pledge level. You will find the D:OS EE reward near the bottom, select your desired platform Steam/GoG and it will generate a key.

patapuf

Question: Are there weapons with elemental affinities or weapons that give magic attacks? Just wondering whether to go battle mage or fighter for one of the MCs

I assume you chose the Original Sin pack?

If so, go to the larian vault website and connect your Kickstarter email there. You will receive your codes.

Yes, and you can craft all kinds of stuff on weapons and armor.

Only put like 4-5 hours into the original, looking forward to playing this. I think I rolled a fire mage and a ranger last time around, may give that setup a try again. I also think I had a water mage and 2h warrior in my party. Does anyone know what the max party size is? 4? I think im starting to mix this game of with pillars of eternity lol

Baalzebup

Only put like 4-5 hours into the original, looking forward to playing this. I think I rolled a fire mage and a ranger last time around, may give that setup a try again. I also think I had a water mage and 2h warrior in my party. Does anyone know what the max party size is? 4? I think im starting to mix this game of with pillars of eternity lol

4 is the maximum party size.

Cool, thanks!

Cyseal
Black Cove
Hiberheim
Luculla Forest
Dark Forest

Is that right?

That would make 5 :p. The second one is more of a big-ass dungeon instead of a major area of its own.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea 4 characters total. You create 2, then recruit 2 more either from the pre-set companions or by making your own in the hall of heroes.

Yea 4 characters total. You create 2, then recruit 2 more either from the pre-set companions or by making your own in the hall of heroes.

Gotcha, thanks!. I also remember spending way too much time pickpocketing everyone i meet since the shops never refreshed what the sold, hopefully its better this time

Just a warning though, if i remember right your spell stat (intelligence) doesn't affect sword attacks in any way, whether they are magical or not.

Alright, duly noted.

You can attach gems to armor for resistance, use material scraps to reinforce armor, scopes on ranged weapons and all sorts of magic ingredients to give gear stat boosts.
I-I see. That's a ton of customization :eek:

Thanks.

patapuf

Gotcha, thanks!. I also remember spending way too much time pickpocketing everyone i meet since the shops never refreshed what the sold, hopefully its better this time

It may be a bit cumbersome, but learning the crafting system really pays off. A bit later on you won't even need to buy spellbooks anymore.

Shinjica

Ah, right. I remember loving Glass Cannon because I was able to use all that extra AP to have one mage cast a combo all on his own. I wonder if the nerfed version is still good enough for that.

+4 action points for 50% your life? not worth it. The nerf plus the fact you cannot mix it with lone wolf is pretty much how bad the nerf is.

Ordered this yesterday, just could not resist as a long time fan of turn based games such as XCOM this appeals to me a lot. I only hope i get it finished before Fallout 4 comes out, as that will likely keep me hooked for weeks. My game backlog is getting a bit extreme these days.

Aaron D.

• New gameplay difficulty levels:
Explorer:​

Welp. Looks like I'm back in.

- Purchased D:OS at launch.

- Thoughouhly enjoyed playing like 10 hours in the opening town, completing all the side quests.

- Went outside the gates for my first real combat experience.

- Must have gone in the wrong direction 'cause I completely got my as kicked. Again. And. Again.

- Uninstalled the game.

Can't wait to try again in Baby Mode!!!

+4 action points for 50% your life? not worth it. The nerf plus the fact you cannot mix it with lone wolf is pretty much how bad the nerf is.

At the same time, the spells AP costs didn't really go down much from what I've seen, so you'll be massively AP starved if you don't get it.It's about 33% to 50%+ weaker than it was depending on your speed(more if the old one doubled Haste bonus AP, not too sure how they interacted) but there aren't really that many other options(both for talents and in terms of AP regen), and the health loss was quite often easy to ignore with correct control. Though they did nerf the best control spell too(earth boulder doesn't knockdown anymore it seems) so...

That's why I think the split of "setup" and "activation" magic might be worth it, it seems unlikely you'll have the AP to setup self combos, unless you pass a turn to save more AP for the combo. If you have them split though, you can spend all your AP to setup and then all the other mage's AP to proc. Sounds annoying to have to do initiative differences though. I forgot if you can get initiative on gear.

epmode

sorry if this has been asked before, will the editor be in the console versions?

No chance. The editor was already pretty fiddly and it would have to be completely redesigned for a controller interface. I wouldn't be so down on the idea if the editor was even a little popular on PC but it wasn't.

Gotta wait for Divinity 2 and the revamped editor for any chance of a console version.

At the same time, the spells AP costs didn't really go down much from what I've seen, so you'll be massively AP starved if you don't get it.It's about 33% to 50%+ weaker than it was depending on your speed(more if the old one doubled Haste bonus AP, not too sure how they interacted) but there aren't really that many other options(both for talents and in terms of AP regen), and the health loss was quite often easy to ignore with correct control.

Right. I didn't have much of a problem with the HP loss in the original version. The extra AP may just be worth the cost with good party composition, even after the nerf. (I don't care about stacking it with Lone Wolf either)

Sevenfold

- Thoughouhly enjoyed playing like 10 hours in the opening town, completing all the side quests.

- Must have gone in the wrong direction 'cause I completely got my as kicked. Again. And. Again.

- Didn't try going the other way. Again. And. Again.

- Uninstalled the game.

FTFY

Baalzebup

- Uninstalled the game.

General pro-tip - You can always see the enemy levels. If they are more than +1 your own, definitely pick another direction unless you have an A-team -tier plan.

Lanrutcon

- Uninstalled the game.

I know exactly what you did, and where you should have gone instead :)

Shinjica

At the same time, the spells AP costs didn't really go down much from what I've seen, so you'll be massively AP starved if you don't get it.It's about 33% to 50%+ weaker than it was depending on your speed(more if the old one doubled Haste bonus AP, not too sure how they interacted) but there aren't really that many other options(both for talents and in terms of AP regen), and the health loss was quite often easy to ignore with correct control. Though they did nerf the best control spell too(earth boulder doesn't knockdown anymore it seems) so...

Glass cannon was really strong (maybe OP) in the normal edition but this is beyond ridiculous.

Plus, I'm still curious how mage will be protected now that elemental shield only protect from that specific element and not from general damage.

- Uninstalled the game.

Let me guess, you did the same thing in Dark Souls, right?

Glass cannon was really strong (maybe OP) in the normal edition but this is beyond ridiculous.

Plus, I'm still curious how mage will be protected now that elemental shield only protect from that specific element and not from general damage.

Let me guess, you did the same thing in Dark Souls, right?

I doubt that, given this line

No chance. The editor was already pretty fiddly and it would have to be completely redesigned for a controller interface. I wouldn't be so down on the idea if the editor was even a little popular on PC but it wasn't.

Gotta wait for Divinity 2 and the revamped editor for any chance of a console version.

damn. I have never tried it but the idea of endless user created content is a huge selling point to me. Have there been any worthwille user created campaigns in the pc version?

Ourobolus

Banned
Sneaking & Lockpick: Are not really useful. You can distract a guard or merchant by having your partner start a conversation. Or simply move the worlds objects to disrupt their line of vision. Magic and Physical attacks can bash locked doors and chests. If it is a special chest, there is usually a key located nearby. Blacksmith can repair any damage to weapons and there is no downside to using magic based attacks.

Sneaking is incredibly useful in combat for a rogue. Get 5 sneak, and sneaking only costs 1 AP. Now get behind someone, and deliver a backstab from sneak. Congrats, you just did massive damage for 3 AP!

Lanrutcon

Sneaking is incredibly useful in combat for a rogue. Get 5 sneak, and sneaking only costs 1 AP. Now get behind someone, and deliver a backstab from sneak. Congrats, you just did massive damage for 3 AP!

eh...there's a Scoundrel skill that makes you invisible. Invisibility doesn't have any checks associated with it, you can go dance in front of a boss and he won't see you. I abused the shit out of it for stealing, setting up barrels and scouting.

Ourobolus

Banned
eh...there's a Scoundrel skill that makes you invisible. Invisibility doesn't have any checks associated with it, you can go dance in front of a boss and he won't see you. I abused the shit out of it for stealing, setting up barrels and scouting.

Except it costs more than 1 AP, right? You get Glass Cannon on your rogue, go stand behind an enemy, and Sneak/Backstab over and over during your turn (probably like 5 times depending on AP). You'll easily wipe out damn near anything.

I'm solely talking about damage, not misdirection or anything else. Sneaking is just a way to deal more damage rather than hiding in this scenario (although you can still end your turn in sneak mode).

epmode

damn. I have never tried it but the idea of endless user created content is a huge selling point to me. Have there been any worthwille user created campaigns in the pc version?

I haven't heard of anything particularly great. I suppose I could have missed something!

The Original Sin editor is very powerful (the dev team used it to build the game) but it's tough to use. One of the D:OS2 stretch goals was to have Larian hire a few programmers specifically for polishing the editor. I hope it's enough to convince people to make new content.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is a random question, but does the EE have any form of minimap quest tracking? I tried playing the original but could never figure out where I had to go and eventually gave up on it. Would love to give this version a shot though.

Shinjica

This is a random question, but does the EE have any form of minimap quest tracking? I tried playing the original but could never figure out where I had to go and eventually gave up on it. Would love to give this version a shot though.

Internet/youtube/GAF can help you, no need to have an arrow on your head al the time. The majority of the quests are easy, you need only to read your quest book like the old days.

Top Bottom