• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 for Wii.

Hiltz

I have a feeling that HVS will keep The Grinder as an FPS for the Wii version. I mean, it's not like the Wii has any heavy competition going for it in the FPS genre. Also, God knows Wii owners are still waiting for a big, exclusive FPS game to call their own and HVS seems to be the only one willing to take on the challenge... though I question the developer's chances of being able to succeed in doing so.

The decision to completely change the genre made sense in that the HD platforms are swarming with FPS games and how potentially difficult it would be to have the Grinder stand up against the big franchise titles and all of the other new FPS games coming out.

What doesn't make much sense is why they chose to go with changing to a niche genre. Personally, I love top down shooters but it still seems like an odd choice. Only time will tell if gamers on the HD platforms will care for it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Kad5 said:
I just love sarcasm.

Personally I thought the Conduit was the best FPS to be released on the Wii but that isn't saying much sadly.

Cod4 Reflex is much much better.

Big O said:
Just play Red Steel 2 ffs

Not a real fps by any means, just like we can't say thar Metroid Prime is one.

I liked the first one. Single-player was perfunctory, but multiplayer was a lot of fun until it got hacked to hell. If they're adding in bosses, then that means they'll be concentrating a little bit on the single-player. Hopefully it's improved.

The bunny-hopping was stupid, but the multiplayer had fun maps and decent balance. It's not a tight, tactical shooter. But as a quicker-paced shooter with smaller maps, it has it's place. I'll buy it.

Hiltz

Freezie KO said:
I liked the first one. Single-player was perfunctory, but multiplayer was a lot of fun until it got hacked to hell. If they're adding in bosses, then that means they'll be concentrating a little bit on the single-player. Hopefully it's improved.

The bunny-hopping was stupid, but the multiplayer had fun maps and decent balance. It's not a tight, tactical shooter. But as a quicker-paced shooter with smaller maps, it has it's place. I'll buy it.

I have to agree with you about the bunny hopping in the game.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just make sure it plays like the last levels and open up the level design a bit please.. didn't mind the first one (I like old style FPS's)
Just add more open levels more set pieces etc.

got a feeling the first conduit was a prrof of concept demo.

..for the love of god make sure this dont mean the grinder it to be an overhead wii shooter as well

but good If you are making both the grinder and conduit II

man at least high voltage are trying... I for one will support them :D

Taxman

So is somebody going to make a thread about all the other stuff in the mag? I want to know what they thought of Shantae, in more detail than those few bullet points posted earlier. Maybe some quotes?

pakkit

Banned
I didn't dislike The Conduit. It was a run of the mill FPS with some neat weapon concepts. If they can improve on the online infrastructure and add some more meaty single player gameplay, I could buy the second one.

The Conduit wasnt bad, it was just completely unremarkable in everyway except its control customization. Now that the framework is down, HVS can hopefully work on everything else.

Taxman said:
So is somebody going to make a thread about all the other stuff in the mag? I want to know what they thought of Shantae, in more detail than those few bullet points posted earlier. Maybe some quotes?

There really isn't much else to glean from the preview.

I will say that this issue's layout is really well done. People should definitely give it a flip through when they get the chance.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Also. Ign not the first ones to break the news?

does the Conduit and IGN love affair seem to have ended?

adama-rama

Neo Member
The Conduit was a decent first effort at a Wii shooter.

It always felt like a stripped down, unpolished version of what it could be. But the last two levels were mad fun and looked pretty damn good and moved the story in a much more interesting direction. It felt like High Voltage was finally 'getting' what a modern console shooter should be.

With the tech in place and the story set up for something interesting (Atlantis sounds better than another WW2/Modern day shooter), TC2 could be what High Voltage probably wanted to do, but couldn't because of money/lack of experience.

Also, the world needs more Mark Sheppard.

Some of what made the first game feel dated, also made me miss the way FPS were made in the 64 bit-era, somewhat. Not a lot though.

The corridors got really old. And the online MP got extremely laggy. I didn't end up playing too much of it.

I'm totally down for Atlantis though. I also like the inclusion of splitscreen MP. I wish more games would allow you to play splitcreen and online at the same time though.

later

After playing the game & seeing the embarassing trailer of their new wii fighting game, is anyone actually looking forward to this?

Amir0x

Banned
Evilink said:
That's odd, you're more positive than usual...heh, you're not Amir0x. -_-

it's hard not to be super positive when discussing High Voltage. It's like they're the only ones taking the Wii seriously, with their super high polished games filled with features that hardcore games can't help but love!

I know they are there for ME!

With Conduit, truly Project Snowblind has met its match.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Amir0x said:
it's hard not to be super positive when discussing High Voltage. It's like they're the only ones taking the Wii seriously, with their super high polished games filled with features that hardcore games can't help but love!

I know they are there for ME!

With Conduit, truly Project Snowblind has met its match.
This will truly be the Year of Wii.

BadSanta

I remember HVS promoting their Quantum3 engine when they presented The Conduit. Why didn't they sell it to other Wii devs? Was it just FPS oriented and not suited for other genres? I would like to know.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BadSanta said:
I remember HVS promoting their Quantum3 engine when they presented The Conduit. Why didn't they sell it to other Wii devs? Was it just FPS oriented and not suited for other genres? I would like to know.

Tournament of Legends is using the Quantum 3 Engine.

Maybe they needed more than a proof of concept game (the conduit) to be a viable Wii middleware kit, plus seeing as the Wii lifespan is nearing it's peak (I reckon about 2 to 3 years left) who know how much they could make out it?

if the Conduit 2 and the Grinder push the limits then yes it coudl be viable as Wii Middleware, but who knows

Personally after playing Red Steel 2 I would love for the LyN engine to be used by other Devs

comedy bomb said:
Probably old but big blowout in the latest Nintendo Power.

After a quick browse:

-Published by Sega
-2 or 4 player split screen
-new guns
-giant boss battles
-greater focus on story and art
-takes place in Atlantis (WTF)

The Conduit 2 - Bioshocked ??

Swittcher

Banned
iamaustrian said:
The Conduit 2 - Bioshocked ??

Question:

If IGN hadn't marketed High Voltage and The Conduit as some sort of AAA 3rd Party studio/game, only for the game to turn out to be incredible mediocre...

Would High Voltage/Conduit continue to garner the same venomous ire that it regularly enjoys on GAF?

Swittcher said:
Question:

If IGN hadn't marketed High Voltage and The Conduit as some sort of AAA 3rd Party studio/game, only for the game to turn out to be incredible mediocre...

Would High Voltage/Conduit continue to garner the same venomous ire that it regularly enjoys on GAF?

If you include removing Wii fanboys hyping the game in that? probably not. If you have a bunch of obnoxious shills parading on the forum it is bound to turn people off. See: Killzone, Halo, and pretty much everything exclusive for any platform.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Swittcher said:
Question:

Maybe??
but maybe if MW 1 + 2 happend or Halo or Killzone2 or...

I Personally like HVS they got their hearts in the right place, they just need to step it up on leveldesign/set pieces and Online, Mulitplayer aspects, they are enthusiastic with what they do, unfortunatly they do hype themselves up and compare what they are making to big name or fantastic games (in making Astro Boy, they said Omega factor was an influence on the game, subsiquently the game fell flat of Omega Factor Standards, I think this prompts the Ire) <-- Excuse my grammar etc

Davey Cakes

Big One said:
Just play Red Steel 2, Christ.
Y'know, Games like Red Steel 2 and Killzone 2 are examples of how sequels can greatly overcome their predecessor's weaknesses.

Something tells me that The Conduit 2 is worth a shot. Maybe it'll actually deserve an 8.6 this time.

Vagabundo

This is truly the second coming of the Wii - it rises from the 3rd party graveyard.

Still it good to see some new 3rd party games being released. I'm open minded about this one, I didn't buy the first because of a cramped gamin budget and lackluster reviews.

Still, good to see HVS get a sequel for this one.

Some new rumored details:

- Set in Atlantis
- Other locations include Siberia, Agartha, Washington D.C.
- Team is focusing on art/story
- New gameplay types for online
- Bounty Hunter mode returning
- Different character classes, each has unique attributes
- Can unlock suit upgrades (ex: robotic legs that let you sprint farther)
- WiiSpeak support
- High Voltage, for now, has decided “to have one primary suit slot and two secondary slots where you can equip upgrades, but that may change in the final game.”
- Will be able to change character’s appearance
- 2-4 player splitscreen option for all competitive
- Co-op Invasion mode: Up to 4 players (online or local), has unique challenges
- New weapons: Vortex Cannon and Phase Rifle
- Vortex Cannon: Sends bullets back at enemies with a more powerful force
- Phase Rifle: Shoot through walls
- Old weapons will be returning
- Some old weapons are seeing a facelift
- About 7 new weapons
- Big boss battles
- ASE also returning
- ASE used for more things other than puzzles (can do a lot of scanning, which is recorded)
- Can use TPC ammo as mines
- SEGA publishing again
- No release date

A horde mode should be pretty awesome.

Swittcher

Banned
To me, all that stuff sounds really good.

I just hope for a better, fleshed out story with cinematics, and better voice acting.

pakkit

Banned
This pleases Sorbo.

tn2_kevin_sorbo_2.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Swittcher said:
Cuz the only person who really cares is TTOB.

He's probably fapping through the pages of NP as we speak *shudder*
I hope it isnt 3D. He would be crushed. :(

XPE

AceBandage said:
A horde mode should be pretty awesome.

It seems like the kind of modes they were putting in to the grinder for the wii, if they add this to the conduit 2 does it mean that the grinder for the wii is looking more unlikely ?

MYE said:
I never played the first one but damn, is all this hate warranted?

The problem was that people (like usual) fell into way too much hype for the game.
It honestly was a pretty good game.
The weapons were so much fun to use, and the level design was pretty good.
It did, however, lack a coherent art style and story.

botticus

I await the news that the voice talent has been removed to cut costs. I won't lie, Sorbo and Sheppard were half the reason I finished the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Swittcher said:
I would gladly bottle his tears and drink them on a daily basis.
:lol

* Hugs Swittcher *

Davey Cakes

MYE said:
I never played the first one but damn, is all this hate warranted?
Too much hype, I'd say. Mostly caused by IGN of course, in their desperation to see a decent third-party shooter on Wii.

The game was an "experiment" that succeeded in doing what it wanted to do. The thing is, it was always just a stepping stone; a gateway for High Voltage to be taken at least somewhat seriously as a developer. Now that the groundwork has been laid out, they can move onto more refined projects, like The Conduit 2 and The Grinder.

Yen

I'm enjoying the game but am only up as far as level 5. The negatives are:
  • Let's disable mines while being shot at.
  • Terrible level design/maps. Corridor, corridor, concrete room etc which gets very repeitive.

Lenardo

Banned
liked the first one, not bad for a 1st effort-proof of concept game.

now improve on the last levels from the get go design and artwork wise and it'll do as well as or better than the first one.

and for a game that most disliked, the Sequel announcement is getting a lot of posts...

ign probably didn't get the exclusive since matt is no longer "nintendo guy" and bozon is gone.

honestly the quality of the wii section @ ign has gone down the crapper since both of them left the nintendo wii team/left the company.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, played the first at a friends house, thought it was good, not great. But I can really respect what HVS was trying to do, and we can't expect every heartwarming story to jump from "working on shovelware" to "producing a gem" in one step. Sometimes a studio does have to find its feet with a few mediocre games.

Will be reading GAF impressions of Conduit 2 before buying.

Top Bottom