• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise Stunt Injury Shuts Down ‘M:I 6- Mission Impossible’

inm8num2

This might be an opportunity to retool "MI6" into a crossover film with Bond.

"After IMF agent Ethan Hunt is injured during pursuit of a notorious arms dealer, the IMF calls on their friends from across the pond, MI6, for assistance. As it turns out MI6 has been investigating the same trail of illegal activity connected to Spectre, and they send their grizzled 007 agent James Bond to work with MI6 and bring the mysterious international terrorism organization to justice once and for all..."

Henry did this

Lol Renner is a better actor than anyone in this franchise or the MCU

Dude was just given nothing to work with in either one

I like Renner, but he is not fucking better than Benedict Cumberbatch, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson, Tilda Swinton, or any number of his co-stars who have given incredible performances in other films.

Zoe

Edit:
How many times has a production shut down because an actor wanted to do their own stunts? I haven't really followed that aspect but I don't think there have been that many. Some people here make it sound like it happens all the time and actors are screwing stunt workers and other crew members out of jobs. Outside of guys like Cruise and Keanu Reeves, who else insists on doing their own stunts and risks shutting down movie sets in case of injury?

Did The Force Awakens have a full shutdown or just a major delay because of Harrison Ford?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Lol Renner is a better actor than anyone in this franchise or the MCU

Dude was just given nothing to work with in either one

1R7XXkJ.png

Yeah but the first one looks fake and second one he's mostly not moving his head. I doubt people will be fooled in high speed and close up shots...

RA_4630_v096_1011p.jpg

RA_4630_v096_1011f.jpg

Tom Cruise doing the stunts or not I am certain wouldn't affect the film visually. It could be solved with visual effects.

Knowing that he is actually there doing the crazy stunts though, obviously adds to the scenes in a way VFX can't replicate.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Did The Force Awakens have a full shutdown or just a major delay because of Harrison Ford?

I don't think it was either? I just think they shot around the scenes they needed Ford for, before getting around to shooting them when the actor later returned to set.

Tom Cruise doing some insane stunt has become part of each MIs marketing push, so we can hardly fault him for doing it again and inadvertently getting injured.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Never really thought about it like this but I guess you're right. Part of me thinks it's pretty cool when an actor wants to do their own stunts but when stuff like this happens that delays the production of a movie and messes with scheduling/money/etc for a lot of people it definitely doesn't seem to be worth it.

True, but by the same token it'd be immoral for an actress to get unexpectedly pregnant or for an actor to turn down a sequel role, or for anyone to leave over creative concerns, or whatever. The ugliness of the system is that production insurance helps financiers, not below the line workers, when something causes massive disruption -- not than an individual chooses to do their job in a certain way.

I don't think it was either? I just think they shot around the scenes they needed Ford for, before getting around to shooting them when the actor later returned to set.

I don't think Ford's injury was caused by him doing his own stunts either, was it? I think someone just closed a door on him.

For me knowing the actor is doing most of the stunts adds to my enjoyment. If I see camera trickery to cover the double's face or wonky CGI, it takes me out of it. It doesn't matter if the movie is incredibly fantastical or grounded in reality. I think it aligns with people wanting more practical effects over CG. It's just nice to know that the scene is taking place in an actual location with actual props rather than completely generated in a computer.

Besides, how often does this kind of mishap occur? There have been cases where actors have gotten hurt but it wasn't because they insisted on doing their own stunts. I've also heard several instances of stunt workers getting hurt or killed. Also, it's not like this happens frequently to Cruise. If it was a pattern, it'd be an issue but after all the action movies he's made, this is probably the first time production had to be shut down because of him isn't it?

That's just it though, not everyone is trying to be Jackie Chan. It's one guy. Well a few more than one, but it's not like all the action stars in Hollywood are jumping to do their own stunts.

Who's a fan of Fury Road? They could have done a lot of the stunts without Hardy and without any stunt people either for that matter. They could have CG'd all of them. In fact, they could have digitally created all the vehicles. Would we still be raving about it to the same degree?

Stunt people, for the most part, aren't trained actors.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think Ford's injury was caused by him doing his own stunts either, was it? I think someone just closed a door on him.

Right, yeah. That stage handler is probably out in a dimly lit bar somewhere, still cringing uncomfortably about that day. That had to have been an awkward moment for them.

Dhx

Taking shots at Cruise for this is just baffling. It's not as if he just rolls up and demands to do stunts. The entire premise of his action run has been his insane regiment preparing for these stunts. It's a huge part of the marketing and appeal. Of course his ego drives him. It's no different than a professional athlete that uses that ego to reach impossible highs.

That singular force of will is what makes him The Goddamned Cruise Missile.

jayu26

lol, the grounded action is what costs 90 million, not the face CGI.

I am not saying that they didn't spend 90 million efficiently. I am saying that it doesn't necessarily show on screen. I watch Batman Begins and I think to myself, "yeah, I can imagine how they spent 80+ million on this (sans bad CGI establishing shots of Gotham slums)." Same thing didn't happen with Logan. Again, that doesn't mean that they did not have good reason to spend 90 million on the movie.

I like Renner, but he is not fucking better than Benedict Cumberbatch, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson, Tilda Swinton, or any number of his co-stars who have given incredible performances in other films.

Lol nah he's considerably better than cumberbatch

People sleeping on Tom Cruises talent tho, but that's his fault for all the damn franchise stuff he does now. Dude was great in the 90s and early 00s.

jtb

Banned
I am not saying that they didn't spend 90 million efficiently. I am saying that it doesn't necessarily show on screen. I watch Batman Begins and I think to myself, "yeah, I can imagine how they spent 80+ million on this (sans bad CGI establishing shots of Gotham slums)." Same thing didn't happen with Logan. Again, that doesn't mean that they did not have good reason to spend 90 million on the movie.

Movies aren't cheap.

Tom, I love your movies but FFS, act your age.

Even Jackie Chan stopped around this time.
Dude is likely in better shape than me in the prime years of life. He's also probably better than 99% of the people his age.

Lol nah he's considerably better than cumberbatch

People sleeping on Tom Cruises talent tho, but that's his fault for all the damn franchise stuff he does now. Dude was great in the 90s and early 00s.
I mean, he could probably do the most serious dramatic roles but he'll never live down the Scientology stuff that likely has more to do with it.

shaneo632

Hopefully none of the crew lose other gigs over this (they probably will), but to Cruise's credit he is extremely dedicated and it's not like he's constantly injuring himself doing silly stunts.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Empire. http://www.empireonline.com/movies/...arifies-tom-cruise-mission-impossible-injury/

Confirming that Cruise had broken his right ankle, McQuarrie assured Empire that his star remained in good shape, in spite of his injury. "Tom is great," McQuarrie said. "He's in very good spirits."

The filmmaker also confirmed that the wheels of the M:I6 machine would keep turning, despite Cruise requiring a period of recovery. There will be a hiatus on filming, but "the hiatus itself is unknown. We're still figuring that out." Despite the setback, he insisted that the film is on track to make its July 2018 release date. "Nothing that we're looking at right now is going to affect the release date."

And Cruise's injury will not be for naught: "I now have to move heaven and earth to make sure that the shot is in the movie. We went to all that effort to get it. It's a pretty fantastic shot."

Nice that it won't be delayed.

And yeah, Tom should reconsider the stunts he's willing to do. Not that I want him to stop strapping himself to planes, but this jump seemed ill advised.

Dude is likely in better shape than me in the prime years of life. He's also probably better than 99% of the people his age.

I mean, he could probably do the most serious dramatic roles but he'll never live down the Scientology stuff that likely has more to do with it.

A fit 55-year-old is still a 55-year-old. Dude has to accept that he can't keep doing this shit forever.

ViciousDS

Banned
This is why actors shouldn't do their own stunts. While production is shut down there's a whole heap of support crew who aren't going to get paid. Just for an actor's ego.

I don't know, I have insanely mad respect for cruise and the shit he does.........way more than actors who don't do any of their own stunts. Dudes got fucking balls

ShowDog

I like that he does his own stunts and appreciate the fact while watching the movies. There's a spectacle you could never reproduce with CGI. That's why they market the hell out of his stuntwork prior to release.

Without Cruise Missile and his cool stunts the franchise wouldn't exist. Who wants to see the 6th film in an action franchise starring Renner and a bunch of tame cgi stuntwork? Cruise also hand picks the directors and produces the film. No one on set would even have a job without him.

The criticism and trying to shame the man out of doing his own stunts is ridiculous in this particular case. Especially with his track record. If he gets hurt on his next 2 consecutive films delaying them it's another story, but he's been doing this with success for decades.

Not to mention, productions still get shut down when someone gets seriously hurt doing something dangerous. Look at Deadpool 2.

Kaleinc

This is why actors shouldn't do their own stunts. While production is shut down there's a whole heap of support crew who aren't going to get paid. Just for an actor's ego.
I don't know but 'Please don't do the stunt cause if you die I'm out of job' angle is in the stratosphere of the Sky of Lame.

I'll give you Tilda, she's a chameleon, but nah Renner is better than the others

Watch Kill the Messenger

I wish

He's good in that, but I have trouble putting anything in his resume ahead of Ruffalo's work in Spotlight, Foxcatcher, Zodiac, and The Kids Are All Right.

Likewise for Scarlett's work in Lost in Translation, Her, and Under the Skin.

or for Jackson's work in Pulp Fiction, Do the Right Thing, Unbreakable or Django Unchained.

But eh, opinions huh? They make the world go 'round.

Litan

I like that he does his own stunts and appreciate the fact while watching the movies. There's a spectacle you could never reproduce with CGI.
And you're basing this on what exactly? Is CGI tech suddenly going to stop improving?
The tech to touch up stunt peoples' faces already exists. At some point it'll be possible to make a whole live action movie without any actual actors.

ShowDog

And you're basing this on what exactly? Is CGI tech suddenly going to stop improving?
The tech to touch up stunt peoples' faces already exists. At some point it'll be possible to make a whole live action movie without any actual actors.

It's in the next sentence of my post. "That's why they market the hell out of his stuntwork." When I'm watching the movie I know this motherfucker hung off the side of an actual plane as it took off and flew around with special contacts in his eyes to keep dirt from blinding him. That's FUN to watch on screen. In a vacuum, devoid of any and all context, theoretically CGI could improve to where you couldn't tell the actual difference. But we don't live in a world without context and I (and many others) appreciate the way things are done independently of the end results.

ArjanN

To be honest the 'Tom Cruise does his own stunts' thing for MI always seemed a bit gimmicky to me given how over the top most of the action scenes are and how they are basically 95% special effects anyway.

It's in the next sentence of my post. "That's why they market the hell out of his stuntwork." When I'm watching the movie I know this motherfucker hung off the side of an actual plane as it took off and flew around with special contacts in his eyes to keep dirt from blinding him. That's FUN to watch on screen. In a vacuum, devoid of any and all context, theoretically CGI could improve to where you couldn't tell the actual difference. But we don't live in a world without context and I (and many others) appreciate the way things are done independently of the end results.

To be honest I basically never notice stunt doubles in anything with a decent budget watching normally without slow-motion/freeze-framing.

Renners best performances have been kinda scummy wastemans like in Louie or The Town

He should have been a villain in Mission Impossible not some boring member of the team

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
To be honest the 'Tom Cruise does his own stunts' thing for MI always seemed a bit gimmicky to me given how over the top most of the action scenes are and how they are basically 95% special effects anyway.

To be honest I basically never notice stunt doubles in anything with a decent budget watching normally without slow-motion/freeze-framing.

I mean he has pretty practical heavy hand to hand combat scenes against Phillip Seymore Hoffman in III and then Michael Nyqvist in Ghost Protocol. He has that shirtless fight when he's being interrogated and also fights that sniper in Rogue Nation, so pretty choreography heavy stuff. I don't like thinking about MI:2.

wazoo

the sequence with the plane in the previous Mi was done in france with a real french airplane on a military base. Soldiers were amazed he did the stunt himself (with all the regular stunt precautions) and he did it like 8 times ...

i appreciate that in this world of fake Cgi blu screen everything, there is something close of what we had in the pre-numeric world

Top Bottom