• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE delayed until Oct. 4th

DaBuddaDa

Jtyettis said:
I did my math earlier and I'm over $500 for wants on the retail side this fall. Something has got to give. Glad Bioshock, ME3, Lara, NG3, et al are next year.
The sad truth is, this happens almost every year, and what ends up happening is a handful of those games you're looking forward to end up being mediocre and put on the backburner. In my experience.

FrankT

DaBuddaDa said:
The sad truth is, this happens almost every year, and what ends up happening is a handful of those games you're looking forward to end up being mediocre and put on the backburner. In my experience.

There was enough space last year imo, but not this year. Now if a few more move out...

Teknoman

Totobeni said:
yeah, Forza 4 the next week, 11 Oct

it's this way

Gears od War 3 --one week--> Dark Souls, Rage,The Cursed Crusade,The Darkness II -one week--> Forza Motorsport 4 , Ace Combat: Assault Horizon --one week--> Batman: Arkham City

I think all games that between Gears and Batman AC are completely fucked.

Not Dark Souls. Atlus faithful or no, Namco Bandai released it in Europe, and anyone who played Demon Souls is buying Dark Souls no matter what ( most likely). And then you have everyone who heard about how great Demon's Souls was on PS3, but only had a 360.

DaBuddaDa

Teknoman said:
Not Dark Souls.
And I think people are highly underestimating the size of the marketing budget and draw of the id brand name. If the game gets good reviews, Rage will sell a lot.

Angry Fork

Wasn't even expecting this game to come out this year with how long they've spent on it, so I'm pleasantly surprised it has a real release date this time. Also whoa @ how jam packed those months are, I'm probably gonna be able to buy only 2 day one and get Steam deals for the rest later on.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
And I think people are highly underestimating the size of the marketing budget and draw of the id brand name. If the game gets good reviews, Rage will sell a lot.
I'd be surprised if that's true. I don't think the id name means very much now. I don't think people are even really aware of who makes games, they know brand names. Doom 4 will sell great I'm sure.

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
I'd be surprised if that's true. I don't think the id name means very much now. I don't think people are even really aware of who makes games, they know brand names. Doom 4 will sell great I'm sure.
There are a lot of gamers out there outside of the current mainstream that know, love, and cherish id.

Magnus

jett said:
I think this game is gonna get lost this fall.

1000x THIS. Every time I walk into an average store like a Gamestop, it's Gears and Uncharted on everyone's tongue. Being released right in the middle of all that won't help this game at all.

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
Well I know for a fact the silent majority of gamers will not buy Rage. Like two, maybe three million people will.
Ok, well, yes, I'd call two to three million a resounding success for a PC-centric developer launching a new IP on consoles. Note, for as big as Uncharted seems to be, Uncharted 2 hasn't broken 4 million sold world wide.

Sciz

StuBurns said:
Well I know for a fact the silent majority of gamers will not buy Rage. Like two, maybe three million people will.
Even DOOM 3 only pulled 3.5 million. If RAGE could pick up 3M, I think they'd be happy enough. Not thrilled, but happy.

DaBuddaDa said:
Ok, well, yes, I'd call two to three million a resounding success for a PC-centric developer launching a new IP on consoles.
I would say 2-3 million would be a HUGE success for the title. And it's possible. Games like this...ya never really know. You don't know Pc gamers either. They are finicky as fuck and hypocritical to boot. They'll love ya with their wallets while they cry bloody murder or hate ya with their empty pockets while they kiss and hug.

DaBuddaDa

Sometimes people's expectations of sales numbers are completely out of whack when all they hear about is Medal of Honor selling 5 million and Battlefield BC2 selling 8 million and BLOPS selling 15 trillion. The military shooter genre lives almost outside of the rest of gaming in its own little bubble. 99% of every other game is lucky to break a mil, let alone two or three.

Under more realistic expectations, I think Rage will sell very well. Certainly better than any other non-sports game coming out between Gears 3 and Arkham City besides perhaps Forza 4.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Ok, well, yes, I'd call two to three million a resounding success for a PC-centric developer launching a new IP on consoles. Note, for as big as Uncharted seems to be, Uncharted 2 hasn't broken 4 million sold world wide.
Indeed, my point was just that the id name doesn't mean anything to most gamers. 2/3 million units is completely viable for any developer launching a new IP on consoles. BioShock and Borderlands both bottomed out at about three million for example. Both developers from a PC background with a good reputation of course, but certainly not id status amongst the hardcore.

I don't think id have to be worried about Rage, unless it cost like eighty million to make, then they should.

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
Indeed, my point was just that the id name doesn't mean anything to most gamers.
Most? Sure, if you expand the definition of gamer beyond the market Rage is targeted at. For people looking for good, non-military shooters, id is still a huge name, just in different but equally large circles than say, Bungie or Epic fans.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
Indeed, my point was just that the id name doesn't mean anything to most gamers. 2/3 million units is completely viable for any developer launching a new IP on consoles. BioShock and Borderlands both bottomed out at about three million for example. Both developers from a PC background with a good reputation of course, but certainly not id status amongst the hardcore.

I don't think id have to be worried about Rage, unless it cost like eighty million to make, then they should.
BioShock 1 sold 4.5 million actually.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
Most? Sure, if you expand the definition of gamer beyond the market Rage is targeted at. For people looking for good, non-military shooters, id is still a huge name, just in different but equally large circles than say, Bungie or Epic fans.
I'm skeptical, but we'll see, and I really hope it does well, I think they're trying something out of their comfort zone and it looks great, I hope that's rewarded.

Nirolak said:
Very impressive, Wiki fails me again.

EDIT: Actually, I failed Wiki.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've actually manage to organize my game's purchase list in such a way so I don't get to my local videogames store and be surprise by a game release, and getting money to get it. Now I only have to stress about getting money beforehand for my purchases!
Which is still bad, anyway

sneaky77

Well it just moved out of day one buy for me. Too many games coming out this holiday, seems like more than the last few years. So quite a few games I want to play will have to wait. Including Batman, Rage, and AC.

Ironballs

-PXG- said:
Weak marketing and competition from other shooters are gonna be the kiss of death. And honestly, this game never had a chance. No one cares about id anymore.

tumblr_llq9a5GcrS1qk2ix2o1_400.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Along with Portal and Child of Eden, RAGE is probably the only AAA retail release I'll be buying this year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:

Rockstar is probably the biggest exception to this rule, although they're arguably their own brand.

sk3tch

I don't know how anyone can say weak marketing on the part of Rage. If anything I would think you would say they started too early. I see those commercials pretty regularly! Odd for a game 3 (now 4) months away.

onken

The longer they leave it, the less impressive it looks.

Jtyettis said:
I care and I could give two craps for COD or Battlefield as well. Gears on the other hand.

You... what?

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Rockstar is probably the biggest exception to this rule, although they're arguably their own brand.
Yeah that's true actually, they're probably the only console game publisher who has lots of actual fans beyond their IPs. On PC there are lots of Blizzard and Valve fans, but for whatever reason I don't think that same thing transfers to the console audience as easily.

xbhaskarx

Jtwo said:
Along with Portal and Child of Eden, RAGE is probably the only AAA retail release I'll be buying this year.

I never know what AAA means, but for me this isn't it.
Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, sure.

It looks absurdly polished, comes shipped with a full on editor on the pc version and it's a new id IP. I think it's super AAA.

Tom Penny

Are there any game play videos of the PS3 version?

Carmack

"High compliment from E3 - people looking under the kiosks to verify that they were actually playing Rage on a PS3 and not a high end PC"

If the main reason for the move was to get out of the way of Gears 3, then they should've jumped forward to August. Not only is the month relatively open besides the usual Madden fare (I dont think WK2, Dragon Quest Monsters, or Deus Ex will do that much damage) but then it would've had a few weeks jump on Resistance, Gears, etc.

Top Bottom