• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast/others submitting false FCC User Comments on Net Neutrality

Some areas would be putting it lightly. Regional monopolies is very much a thing. Just look how often Time Warner Cable and Comcast service the same area for example. And they wanted to merge years ago (or am I thinking of Charter or something).

I think Comcast or another big company wanted to buy Time Warner, and Charter got them.

Looking that way. Almost no company has come out against this in a major way. Unless we can somehow fight this in the courts, I really just don't see how net neutrality survives. I'm honestly about to cry thinking about, as silly as that sounds. One of the greatest tools every created, in a place it flourished (despite all the problems it spawns), could be gone by the next Presidential election.

Well, we actually can fight this in the courts.

There's a law called the Administrative Procedure Act that prohibits federal agencies from making "capricious" decisions.

If Pai goes ahead and scrubs it, the Dem commissioner on the FCC (or someone else I guess, it depends) can file an appeal to block it before it goes into effect on a later date. Pai would then have to go on to provide a case before the court on why he thinks revoking Title II is necessary.

If he doesn't and the court rules in our favour, the decision gets struck down and Title II stays.

NastyBook

These motherfuckers just don't know. I'll cut this shit off and tell em to shove this leased modem and early termination fee right up their fucking asses.

megalowho

Makes your stomach sink. No matter how many people make their voice heard via the channel available, it doesn't matter because a) the Telcom companies that stand to benefit are determined to delegitimize the system with astroturfing, and b) Pai won't change his stance based on comments anyway, they're just going through the motions. With the lack of internet corporations on the people's side to help organize and spread information, the fight seems nearly insurmountable.

Makes your stomach sink. No matter how many people make their voice heard via the channel available, it doesn't matter because a) the Telcom companies that stand to benefit are determined to delegitimize the system with astroturfing, and b) Pai won't change his stance based on comments anyway, they're just going through the motions. With the lack of internet corporations on the people's side to help organize and spread information, the fight seems nearly insurmountable.

I don't know. Pai is making a lot of stupid moves with the way he's trying to ram this through.

If he doesn't make a good case for his decision in court, he's not getting what he wants. He's going to have to go up against REAL evidence on why Title II Is necessary there.

boiled goose

good with gravy
There have to be consequences for this.... this shit has to be illegal. What the fuck.

Using people's names and address? This is insane.

I feel so powerless though. We need some people with power to fight this.

Kremzeek

Republicans & Pai won't care, but jeez a MILLION or more are fraudulent?!!

That's just epic levels of fraud! WTF

Ploid 3.0

Can I sue them to teach them to never do this again and get rich or something for my anger, wrath, of being used? Class action? Free google fiber for life?

None under my name fortunately, though I get my internet through AT&T. Still, shit like this is exactly why expecting companies to regulate themselves is a bad idea.

How did they not expect to get caught when doing a copy pasta job about a billion times? I didn't find myself, but tons of people with my last name. Searching some of the more common last names was mind blowingly comcastic™. Fraud.

Glad I have other options now for internet.

None were under my name, but just doing a Last Name search this morning I found several all with that same identical comment, even before I saw the example mentioned in the OP it stuck out at me. But it was word-for-word with that tweet.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get a fine for falsely impersonating customers in official government matters. That'll show them.

Jesus. Someone needs to sue the shit out of them.

If we pretend for a second that they'll actually suffer any kind of monetary consequences in court, they'll just turn around and jack up the prices on their tens of millions of customers they're holding hostage.

One of the scariest things I ever discovered was just how damn big/wealthy Comcast is.

Korigama

I already understood Comcast be a notably scummy corporation, their notoriety a key factor in why they avoid having their name visible in any ads for Xfinity, but I admit to actually being surprised by them pulling something this underhanded (and illegal, one would think). Seems I still give some people too much credit.

Arttemis

Fuck you Comcast. I really hope they go down for this, but it mostly will be a slap on the wrist.
I legitimately hope this becomes a class action lawsuit, or a criminal case where there are half a million charges each of false impersonation, fraud, identity theft, and giving false information. The penalties should involve $1,000+ for each, as well as jail time for those directly involved in ordering this happen.

They are also submitting in the name of websites.

Does 4chan run parts of industry and the government now because it feels like pre-pubescent boys are in charge.

nadozza

I remember hearing a while back that user comments weren't being taken super seriously, yet companies are pulling this? Absolutely ridiculous. Goes to show that they likely are to some degree.

I really hope it doesn't change to title one for your guys sake + we (Canada) are likely to look at you as examples.

Please do the right thing FCC!

M3d10n

If the GOP continues to hold power for the next 10 years, I wouldn't be surprised they start to campaign against "electricity neutrality" next.

Vyer

So from what I understand, Comcast hasn't technically been linked to this, so there's no one yet for people to sue unfortunately.

They did send a 'cease and desist' letter to this site, but it was through a third party and they claim the the third party was just auto sending for copyright protection and that they aren't going to pursue it.

reKon

Banned
If Comcast ends up somehow being linked to this, I hope that they absolutely get fucked. I don't give a shit if the worst thing happens to them as a company.

The perfect combination would be having more players in the market and net neutrality rules.

Mr. X

So from what I understand, Comcast hasn't technically been linked to this, so there's no one yet for people to sue unfortunately.

They did send a 'cease and desist' letter to this site, but it was through a third party and they claim the the third party was just auto sending for copyright protection and that they aren't going to pursue it.
They can be held accountable for all this customer data being out there right?

Hmmm OK so my name showed up in a search but it's not my address. The address is about an hour south of me. Is it safe to assume thats another person with the same name?

Edit: sorry didn't see the page saying the name and address must match. Still... It's the same copy paste thing that has been seen in this thread.

Top Bottom