• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Xater

I am not surprised that this game is good. It was already good on the Wii U. I just don't think that the addition of a proper Battle Mode is enough to make me pay full price again.

Fliesen

Could just leave the Wii U on for the same result I guess.

well, then it's "Look what someone posted on twitter. They used the standby function on their Wii-U a lot".

also, inflating the number via use of standby mode still falls under 'fake' in my book.

Just wanted to 'debunk' the assumption that there was anyone who might have actually played 10.000 hours of MK8.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
System needs to be in stock first for it to outsell but still has a road ahead of it to go. We'll get a better idea on how well it is doing by next year though.
I appreciate the cautious optimism. However I feel this point has largely been nullified the past few gens.. it's usually pretty consistent how a console has done based on the first few months of sales. We haven't had any big collapses in that time, and the only two slow burns were the DS and 3DS. Clearly Switch is on track to at least hang with XBONE which is by any metric considered a successful (if not incredibly) platform. And just like the Wii it seems many big (western) publishers were not expecting that. So the question now is how long until the jump on board?

Forkball

But the characters are. MK8 already had sucked some of the fun out by having things just randomly unlock after winning a cup instead of doing specific challenges. MK8D just makes it 10 time worse for single player.

You still have to unlock the greatest character.

aDfjEyU.jpg

Fliesen

Wii U start felt like ths:
5294175493_1395cf10f9.jpg

This is Switch:
21262e_00ec28189d214b7b8e18b243631a74f0.jpg

Also, people bought the Wii U as means to play certain games. I don't recall anyone being super positive about the actual hardware.
Meanwhile people are super enthusiastic about their Switch hardware itself, because it's a well built machine with a lot of promise.
Put differently: People bought a Wii U for Super Mario Kart, or Pikmin, or Bayonetta, or ...
People are buying Switches because they want a Switch.

That difference and the word of mouth that goes along with it, makes all the difference in the world. I think we're way beyond "let's see where sales will be a year from now" when talking about whether or not the Switch will do better than the Wii U.
Hell, it's Nintendo consolidating their handheld AND console offers. Mathematically, it needs to sell better than their purely home console device.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Also, people bought the Wii U as means to play certain games. I don't recall anyone being super positive about the actual hardware.
Meanwhile people are super enthusiastic about their Switch hardware itself, because it's a well built machine with a lot of promise.
Put differently: People bought a Wii U for Super Mario Kart, or Pikmin, or Bayonetta, or ...
People are buying Switches because they want a Switch.

That difference and the word of mouth that goes along with it, makes all the difference in the world. I think we're way beyond "let's see where sales will be a year from now" when talking about whether or not the Switch will do better than the Wii U.
Hell, it's Nintendo consolidating their handheld AND console offers. Mathematically, it needs to sell better than their purely home console device.
As someone who considers Vita one of the greatest systems of all time and straight up THE best handheld system ever, my excitement for Switch largely comes from the hardware and the potential from that. The rumours of the hardware alone before thr hardware even got announced had me in full hype mode because I'm excited for what I see as the successor to the Vita.

Gonna post a DLC wishlist because I'm too hype about this game to do anything else:

Four new Grand Prix Cups:

- Two cups with four new courses each (these are hard to conceptualize but one that comes to mind is a track based on Footlight Lane from SM3DW, and a Honeyhive track since we've already had a character from that realm of Mario in MK7). More crossover stages pls, especially with the characters I mention later in mind.

- Retro Cup 1: DK Jungle Parkway (N64), Wario Coliseum (GCN), Maple Treeway (Wii), Maka Wuhu (3DS)

- Retro Cup 2: Choco Mountain (64), Dino Dino Jungle (GCN), Waluigi Pinball (DS), Koopa Cape (Wii)

Eight new Battle Mode Arenas:

- Four new courses (with some crossover goodness based on the included characters)
- Battle Course 4 (GBA)
- Tilt-a-Kart (GCN)
- Delfino Pier (Wii)
- Sherbert Rink (3DS)

Characters (and associated kart parts):

- Diddy Kong (seriously where is he)
- Funky Kong
- Birdo
- Petey Piranha
- Wiggler

- Zelda
- Captain Falcon
- Samus
- Olimar
- Sonic

Could split it all in half and do two packs like with MK8. Include all this content and I might never need to buy another MK again.

Though, my #1 request is Maple Treeway. The song is actually GOAT and the asethetic of the stage is beautiful.

Gonna post a DLC wishlist because I'm too hype about this game to do anything else:

4 new Grand Prix Cups:

- Two cups with four new courses each (these are hard to conceptualize but one that comes to mind is a track based on Footlight Lane from SM3DW, and a Honeyhive track since we've already had a character from that realm of Mario in MK7). More crossover stages pls, especially with the characters I mention later in mind.

- Retro Cup 1: DK Jungle Parkway (N64), Wario Coliseum (GCN), Maple Treeway (Wii), Maka Wuhu (3DS)

- Retro Cup 2: Choco Mountain (64), Dino Dino Jungle (GCN), Waluigi Pinball (DS), Koopa Cape (Wii)

Eight new Battle Mode Arenas:
- Four new courses (with some crossover goodness based on the included characters)
- Battle Course 4 (GBA)
- Tilt-a-Kart (GCN)
- Delfino Pier (Wii)
- Wuhu Town (3DS)

Characters (and associated kart parts):
- Diddy Kong (seriously where is he)
- Funky Kong
- Birdo
- Petey Piranha

- Zelda
- Captain Falcon
- Olimar
- Sonic

Could split it all in half and do two packs like with MK8. Include all this content and I might never need to buy another MK again.

Though, my #1 request is Maple Treeway. The song is actually GOAT and the asethetic of the stage is beautiful.

Wuhu Town is already in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ;)

Jacce

Banned
It's in the fad stage right now imo. People will eventually get bored and go back to smartphone gaming + PS4/XB1 at home.
Based on what? The fact it is selling well? Systems never have fad like success and then fall off. Systems that sell well tend to sell well.

What evidence is there ever of a system being a "fad"? People tried to claim Wii was a fad but it sold consistently well nearly it's entire life and had consistently fantastic software sales year after year.

There is no history of any game system being a "fad".

It's in the fad stage right now imo. People will eventually get bored and go back to smartphone gaming + PS4/XB1 at home.

Regardless of if this post is sarcasm or not, I'm going to say:

People who chase fads and play a lot of smartphone games are not the kind of people who give much of a shit about PS4/XB1, so that comparison seems strange. People who don't invest much into gaming ("casuals") are just as unlikely to buy a PS4 or XB1 than a Switch, because all three of those devices are appealing to the "dedicated gaming hardware" market. You can even further stratify it by considering how many "average joe" consumers are concerned with things like bleeding edge tech.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Are you being serious? It's nearly gotten a third of the Wii U install base in 6 weeks.

It'll be at 8mil by next year, we don't see need to wait until then to see if it will outsell the Wii U.

Some of the people here are delusional. It has two must-haves within 8 weeks of launch and more games coming every week. The thing is going to be a success.
We don't really know real install based number either with the recent trend of scalpers.

Would be like how all of a sudden some how 3ds units skyrocketed in price and how there's low availability of them anywhere.

deleted

I would love for Nintendo to provide all the characters from the first Smash Bros in Mario Kart.

Bring on Pikachu, Jigglypuff (on a Karpador Kart), Fox, Samus, Falcon and Ness!
Bring on Stages too. A Pokemon Snap Stage, Brinstar, etc...

I'd buy all of that in an instant, but somehow I doubt that Nintendo is gonna do more DLC. On the other hand, it would make sense to do more to patch up for the coming paid-online Nintendo environment.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We don't really know real install based number either with the recent trend of scalpers.

Would be like how all of a sudden some how 3ds units skyrocketed in price and how there's low availability of them anywhere.

Yeah we do unless you think there's 1 million scalers. in the user alone that all bought this console.

mazillion

Does anybody know if holding A and B at the same time allows you to do quick turns like in previous MK games?

Watching gameplay of the battle modes looks like they're always struggling with how long it takes to turn around

Piers

Based on what? The fact it is selling well? Systems never have fad like success and then fall off. Systems that sell well tend to sell well.

Right, for how long? You may love Nintendo games and will exclusively buy a Switch for them but the larger market out there do not share the same devotion. When highly anticipated stuff like Red Dead 2 hits the shelves and people find out the Switch can't hack it, let alone Nintendo burnt a load of bridges with Western third parties, what then?

On the handheld side of business, the DS was a monster success and it'd be naive to think the 3DS's massive drop in sales compared to the former wasn't at least partially due to the big boom in smart device gaming.

The marketing during launch periods is so crucial because buzz and hype encourage that kind of purchase. Once the honeymoon is over, it then becomes a matter of sustaining the customer's interest in the product with an adequate library — else you end up with a bevy of trade ins.

I do genuinely like the idea of just handing someone a spare controller whilst you're on the go for some quick multiplayer, and hope this really excels the system's strong points but it'd be really fucking hard to swoon any casual away from just playing some quick games on their smartphones too. "Oh, do you have your Switch with you for some Mario Kart?" "You could get your own." "NAH :D"

Baleoce

I don't want Mario Kart 9, I'd rather have dlc for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I get where you're coming from, in that you really like 8 and just want more of it. As do I. But I really hope 9 happens on the Switch eventually. Imagine them having to up their game from 8..

Does anybody know if holding A and B at the same time allows you to do quick turns like in previous MK games?

Watching gameplay of the battle modes looks like they're always struggling with how long it takes to turn around

There's a feature on Wii U to do a U turn by releasing accelerate during a drift, I assume they haven't changed it.

Jacce

Banned
Right, for how long? You may love Nintendo games and will exclusively buy a Switch for them but the larger market out there do not share the same devotion. When highly anticipated stuff like Red Dead 2 hits the shelves and people find out the Switch can't hack it, let alone Nintendo burnt a load of bridges with Western third parties, what then?

On the handheld side of business, the DS was a monster success and it'd be naive to think the 3DS's massive drop in sales compared to the former wasn't at least partially due to the big boom in smart device gaming.

The marketing during launch periods is so crucial because buzz and hype encourage that kind of purchase. Once the honeymoon is over, it then becomes a matter of sustaining the customer's interest in the product with an adequate library — else you end up with a bevy of trade ins.

I do genuinely like the idea of just handing someone a spare controller whilst you're on the go for some quick multiplayer, and hope this really excels the system's strong points but it'd be really fucking hard to swoon any casual away from just playing some quick games on their smartphones too. "Oh, do you have your Switch with you for some Mario Kart?" "You could get your own." "NAH :D"
But you are calling its success a fad. 3DS struggled pretty quickly after launch. That isn't a "fad". That example really doesn't work.

Have complete editions / remasters of any game ever got more DLC packs?

not saying it won't happen with MK8D, more content is always a good thing, but just wondering if there is any existing history we can look at

So we have "overrated" guy and "only essential because no games" dude. I wonder who will appear after the game comes out and sells a ton?

Nilaul

I get where you're coming from, in that you really like 8 and just want more of it. As do I. But I really hope 9 happens on the Switch eventually. Imagine them having to up their game from 8..

Instead of Having Mario kart 9 lets have Nintendo Kart, Tracks based from all over.
That's what the series is heading into anyway. Imagine having tracks, items and racers also based Metroid, Kid Icarus, star fox, xenoblade etc.
A Xenoblade track would be epic, you could potentially be riding on mythical creatures with a all changing environment depending on how they move.

giapel

Don't see the point of having 2 Mario Karts on the same platform. I'd rather not...

WOW! Best MK ever I guess.

For racing and level of content, the base Mario Kart 8 already was. All this version needs to do is match or exceed Mario Kart 64 for Battle Mode while not dipping in quality on anything else.

The basic conceit of the platform it's on just adds to the appeal on this one.

giapel

It makes the previous one redundant, splits the user base, doesn't get any hardware upgrade benefits anyway (be it better graphics, control options etc...) and, well... it's always been 1 Kart per gen.
I'd rather have DLC with new tracks, characters and modes.

jts

...hate me...
Why waste resources to fragment the online community and 1-uping a game that doesn't need to be 1-upped?

DLC is enough to allow for Mario Kart to take a 5 year rest until the next console and allocate the talent somewhere else than a redundant title.

edit: ^ beaten by what the previous poster said.

mazillion

There's a feature on Wii U to do a U turn by releasing accelerate during a drift, I assume they haven't changed it.

I seem to recall hearing that there's the U-turn option in battle mode only.

edit: Metro's review mentions it: http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/20/mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-kart-dor-6586488/

I see, thanks.

I managed to find a tutorial video of this in action. It's better than nothing I guess but not the same since you have to build up speed and a drift first.
I wonder why they took it out? The one thing that always bothered me about the battle mode is that the karts have such bad turning angles, they control awkwardly at slow speeds when you're constantly trying to turn yourself around.

Oh well, i'm sure I can learn to get used to it.

Top Bottom