• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I don't necessarily disagree with what you've argued. All valid points.

I have several friends who have the game, started it, and within an hour or so dropped it because it was too overwhelming and unforgiving. "Masochistic" is how they viewed playing the game.

Yes, turtling with a spear is not a great way to push through the game. However, for a new player it can give them enough ability to observe some game mechanics and feel a little less frustrated at the beginning.

As I said, I'm still on my first playthrough. I didn't start with the spear and I understand the frustration The game can cause a new player. After a few hours in the game I picked up the spear and it allowed me some breathing room (figuratively and literally] to observe some of the game mechanics I struggled with or missed to that point.

I was able to make progress while learning and, from the perspective of a player new to the gameplay, made for a much more enjoyable initial experience. I also learned the spear approach was a short term use for me and moved on from it.

In short, if it helps someone to not give up on this great game it has proved it's worth.
Makes sense. Dark Souls has a lot of options and can be overwhelming, so sticking to just one can make approaching the game easier. If all you have is a hammer, approach everything like a nail.

My hammer was playing a SL1 character with only a reinforced club and a handful of pyromancies (that I never even use); with only minimal HP, armor, and stamina, I learned to approach every problem with careful movement and deliberate skull-bashing. Useful skills to have on future characters-- even with armor and health and weapons, it helps being practiced at not getting hit.

Grief.exe

It was on the list of candidates for "birthday present", since my gf usually has no idea what to get me. But if I can't get her to import it from amazon.co.uk, I have no effin clue what to do now. :\

What it even arrive here in time for release?

I couldn't justify waiting a few extra days and the increased price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didnt the people who made sudeki also worked on the port for viva pinata PC? Maybe they can bring that if sudeki does well.

That'd be up to Microsoft.

Its not on their website

http://www.climaxstudios.com/our-games/

They did do the recent Lords of Shadow 1 port.

I'd guess that the PC port of Viva was handled by Climax's LA arm, the game development branch of which was later closed. Climax Studios is a separate studio.

can't say if sucky saoirse is suggestive or childishly cute but it sure is something to look at

The uncropped version is making me hungry. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Why do Spelunky shopkeepers hate me? I stopped killing them for their shotgun, I stopped throwing rocks randomly in case they accidentally hit one of them, I even bring them golden idols and penguins when possible.

So why would they give me, from 1-1 all the way to Olmec, only shops with bombs and rope? 8 of them total, only bombs and ropes. Not even an entrance to the black market, sent me to a tomb instead.

JaseC

it's sad the freckles get lost in the avatar version

Yeah, Freckled Sersh is Best Sersh. It's a pity she tends to cover them up, at least as far as events/photoshoots are concerned.

I hope we start hearing about Banished sales soon, for one guy he should be making a healthy profit on that.

Yeah, there's definitely an interesting story to be told. Even accounting for Valve's 30% cut the man must be looking at a $1m+ cheque.

Orion: Dino Horde, good or bad?

Bad by all accounts. The devs actually changed the name from Orion: Dino Beatdown to Orion: Dino Horde in what was ultimately a futile attempt to escape the former's poor Metacritic score.

dreamfall

Resident Evil 4 pre-loading! Exciting times ahead indeed! (9.1 GB- textures are going to be good I hope!)

Now if only we could get a release date for Dark Souls II...

Also, Steam be trollin' - Barbie's Dreamhouse Party is like RE4?! Oh my goodness, the first review for that game- I'm crying. Here

If I decide to cancel and order a digital edition from the US (which is pretty likely, don't think I want to wait) perhaps I could forward you my Black Armour Edition?

I would be interested in that, sir, should amazon.co.uk offer it again in the interim.

What it even arrive here in time for release?

I couldn't justify waiting a few extra days and the increased price.

Increased price?
It was $48 shipped.
I'm assuming without finding a deal somewhere that the PC version is going to be at least 49.99 for day one.
But yes, it wouldn't be here in time for release, but I'm willing to wait a few days... especially since I'd be waiting for a lower price point if I was buying it for myself.
As much as I loved it on PS3, trying to play it on PC after all this time didn't really click... especially with problems being able to save thanks to GFWL (which the new game shouldn't have, but still).

Grief.exe

Increased price?
It was $48 shipped.
I'm assuming without finding a deal somewhere that the PC version is going to be at least 49.99 for day one.
But yes, it wouldn't be here in time for release, but I'm willing to wait a few days... especially since I'd be waiting for a lower price point if I was buying it for myself.
As much as I loved it on PS3, trying to play it on PC after all this time didn't really click... especially with problems being able to save thanks to GFWL (which the new game shouldn't have, but still).

Digital Download sites will lop 20% off that at a minimum, so increased price.

Anteater

1520yes20soccer20fangus5b.gif

JaseC

Sega has recently begun work on beta and test branches for Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising.

They're GFWL games so I think we can safely assume just what it is the devs are up to.

gabbo

Sega has recently begun work on beta and test branches for Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising.

They're GFWL games so I think we can safely assume just what it is the devs are up to.

Thank god.
CAPCOM, you're on notice!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thief really confuses me with these reviews. Some say it's like Dishonored, full of individual stages to mess around with and have a great time, but then reviewers I trust like Simon Parkin say that and I just don't know. I need a demo.

is it me.. or is Humble's My Library down?
for a few days now

Loads up fine for me, but I did have to do a Google DNS flush the other day to get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom