• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

CorvoSol

A QUANDRY:

I kind of want to replay the entire game, and probably with new waifus for everyone who isn't Chrom, except I also kinda want Cordelia again because screw it, I have been anointed with the Spirit of Kincaido.

Do I use the new slot, or save over my current one and save those spaces for future run throughs?

Does it matter? I own the game, I guess I can always erase a save in the future.

DLC doesn't go away, right? Like, if I start in a new file or slot, I still have access to all those maps I bought, right?

A QUANDRY:

I kind of want to replay the entire game, and probably with new waifus for everyone who isn't Chrom, except I also kinda want Cordelia again because screw it, I have been anointed with the Spirit of Kincaido.

Do I use the new slot, or save over my current one and save those spaces for future run throughs?

Does it matter? I own the game, I guess I can always erase a save in the future.

DLC doesn't go away, right? Like, if I start in a new file or slot, I still have access to all those maps I bought, right?

I say do a new file and save that slot to try out the DLC, and yes, DLC is shared by all files including copies not your own. Say, a friend has the game but doesn't want to buy DLC, he can use your 3DS instead to play it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A QUANDRY:

If maps are tied to your save you would be hearing a lot of people bitching about it.

Also you only really need 1 slot per playthrough. Especially once you know all of the children recruiting requirements.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I think Virion's hair is the closest, yeah.

Yep, and I didn't even realize it was "off" because Virion was her dad in my game, lol.

I'm used to it being black (my avatar or Lon'qu) or brown (Stahl) lol

A QUANDRY:

Good man. You'll have access to the DLC no matter what on the 3DS you downloaded it on so no need to worry about that.

Busaiku

It's so weird seeing all the different hair colors.
My Owain's hair is white, Inigo's is brown, Severa's is black, Cynthia's is blue, Brady's is blond, Noire's is white, Nah's is similar though.

Neiteio

I've only played Awakening, but I'm seriously impressed by Fire Emblem. In terms of quality, this is every bit an equal to the big Nintendo franchises (Zelda, Mario, etc). In terms of depth and polish and dare I say HEART, I'd say it outclasses the rest of Nintendo's output. Kid Icarus Uprising was a similar experience for me. 3DS is absolutely killing it these days.

Busaiku

You should definitely check out Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.
Only played 4 games in the series, but those were definitely the highlights.

They definitely offer a lot more depth in terms of gameplay too, so it's a good moving point.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
After finally getting all skills/weapon proficiency/final classes for every first gen, I have moved onto children and I am loving Noire x Inigo.
Someone tell me it ends up romantic.

Hopefully PoR gets a release on the Wii U Virtual Console. Also my favorite game in the series and I'd like for some of the new fans to get a chance to play it, but sadly both it and Radiant Dawn are quite rare/expensive now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had too much time to play this as I got stuck in a FEZ marathon :/

But I picked it up again yesterday and this happened:

Three of my buddies died in chapter 6 (the assasination chapter).

As a FE noob, How fucked am I? (It was Virion, Sully and Vaike btw, may they rip)...

Virion actually bugs me a lot to have lost, as my avatar was starting to get friendly with him, and it was nice having an archer around. The other two were pretty meh to me, though Vaike was nice for tanking damage (which unfortunately got him in the end).

Lissa or Frederick would have meant cold boot as I like the characters so much, but I decided to try to game on, unless loosing so many in one battle is gamebreaking? What say you, FEgaf?

Chrom

I haven't had too much time to play this as I got stuck in a FEZ marathon :/

But I picked it up again yesterday and this happened:

Three of my buddies died in chapter 6 (the assasination chapter).

As a FE noob, How fucked am I? (It was Virion, Sully and Vaike btw, may they rip)...

Virion actually bugs me a lot to have lost, as my avatar was starting to get friendly with him, and it was nice having an archer around. The other two were pretty meh to me, though Vaike was nice for tanking damage (which unfortunately got him in the end).

Lissa or Frederick would have meant cold boot as I like the characters so much, but I decided to try to game on, unless loosing so many in one battle is gamebreaking? What say you, FEgaf?

You get back there and save them.

I just noticed.

When you go to Continue game after start screen there are 5 save slots.

3 on the top screen, 2 on the bottom. And you can press L/R to switch but it looks like it tries to but stops because there are no save files there.

How do I use those 2 slots on the bottom? I only see the top 3 whenever I tried to save before.

Kincaido

I just noticed.

When you go to Continue game after start screen there are 5 save slots.

3 on the top screen, 2 on the bottom. And you can press L/R to switch but it looks like it tries to but stops because there are no save files there.

How do I use those 2 slots on the bottom? I only see the top 3 whenever I tried to save before.

I think that's for people that play casual. I think that those are saves that are used in the middle of battles.

Kincaido

Yes, those two saves are your battle saves, although maybe you could save only during battles and therefore have a full five slots?

Yeah, you could save before finishing a battle or during a skirmish and have two extra slots. Seems like it'd be useful for getting all supports.

Oh god, just recruited severa.

How do some of you even put up with her terrible attitude?

She is a miracle of the universe. Tsunderes are the greatest thing ever.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh man...

... man oh man...

It has finally come to this, isn't it. The feeling that "it's over, LaughingBanana.... time to move on to something else......."

Man....

Kind of makes me yearn the times when I got hyped to unreasonable levels when this game was first announced for english localization :(

Kincaido

Oh man...

... man oh man...

It has finally come to this, isn't it. The feeling that "it's over, LaughingBanana.... time to move on to something else......."

Man....

Kind of makes me yearn the times when I got hyped to unreasonable levels when this game was first announced for english localization :(

I told you the end was near ;_;

May we meet again in a better life.

Antiwhippy

I'll unlock all of her supports anyway, and I do like a good tsundere if it's done right, but her tsun side comes of as bitchiness over nothing and her dere side comes of as trite or weirdly manipulative. Poor Lon qu.

I remember when Melee came out and Marth and Roy were there and I was like wtf what are you guys even from

Little did I know their franchise would be my favorite Nintendo series now. It's got that gritty, dark story people want from Nintendo while still feeling right at home on the 3DS/Wii (U)

Sendou

Advance Wars isn't dead. Why do you say such things? IS said they want to do one. If it really was dead Nintendo would have included "Advance Wars" in the "do not speak about this ever" list.

Jintor

It's really depressing when an endboss runs out to attack you, you get caught up in a big speech, and then he throws his axe and misses and the game zooms back out to strategy view.

So I finally finished the game. Overall great game but I feel like it does not best the classics. I played hard mode and I only lost one unit (on the last level) due to an accident so it was a breeze to play through overall. I spend the majority of the side missions on training under leveled units who in the end were not so useful afterall. Chrome and the Avatar were terrible units as the game continued-
I am confused as I just returned to my savegame before finishing the game. None of the level advancements were saved and I cant see any ranking or stuff for my characters.

My major gripe with the game is the lack of variety with mission objectives. Most of the level designs don't feel very memorable either. A lot of the support conversations are a hit and miss. They are not very enjoyable most of the time (Tharjana is the exception).

Acheteedo

Just picked this up from amazon, I think I'll start without perma-death, and on normal difficulty, that about right for newbies?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
storafötter;57543916 said:
So I finally finished the game. Overall great game but I feel like it does not best the classics. I played hard mode and I only lost one unit due to an accident so it was a breeze to play through overall. I spend the majority of the side missions on training under leveled units who in the end were not so useful afterall. Chrome and the Avatar were terrible units as the game continued-
I am confused as I just returned to my savegame before finishing the game. None of the level advancements were saved and I cant see any ranking or stuff for my characters.

My major gripe with the game is the lack of variety with mission objectives. Most of the level designs don't feel very memorable either. A lot of the support conversations are a hit and miss. They are not very enjoyable most of the time (Tharjana is the exception).

Your opinions sound like those of an FE fan.

And the game doesn't save after you beat the Endgame chapter, so you can keep playing and do DLC stuff.

And while Chrom has been crappy for me twice, your avatar is going to depend on what traits you picked at the beginning (asset/flaw) and what classes you use. (S)he can be extremely powerful if you do a build that fits with your asset/flaw. Doing one that goes against it can stunt your growth rates (like doing +str/-luck but then using magic primarily).

Just picked this up from amazon, I think I'll start without perma-death, and on normal difficulty, that about right for newbies?

Normal/casual could be pretty mindless. Some new folks (but not all of course) find normal difficulty too easy, and adding casual/no permadeath could basically let you just walk through the game.

I'd say try normal/classic first, and make an effort to not let your units die so you have a real goal. Chapter 5 will basically be the determining point, if you find that too easy you might want to start over on a harder difficulty (maybe hard/casual, there's a big difference in each difficulty), if you find it too hard you might want to go back to normal/casual, and if you're good with it just keep on going with normal/classic.

Your opinions sound like those of an FE fan.

And the game doesn't save after you beat the Endgame chapter, so you can keep playing and do DLC stuff.

And while Chrom has been crappy for me twice, your avatar is going to depend on what traits you picked at the beginning (asset/flaw) and what classes you use. (S)he can be extremely powerful if you do a build that fits with your asset/flaw. Doing one that goes against it can stunt your growth rates (like doing +str/-luck but then using magic primarily).

Well I did pick his assets carefully but his child Morgan is almost double as powerful as my avatar ever was. I picked skill as his strongest and elemental weakness? or something as his lowest. But I will give my avatar some slack as he did create some beasty children such as Morgan and Noire (probably my strongest units).

Good to hear that my complaints aren't unheard of! I will probably still play the game on maniac casually and eventually try some DLC/spotpass levels on my recent save file. One thing I cannot criticize this game for is replay value which is something I look forward to trying out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
storafötter;57544574 said:
Good to hear that my complaints aren't unheard of! I will probably still play the game on maniac casually and eventually try some DLC/spotpass levels on my recent save file. One thing I cannot criticize this game for is replay value which is something I look forward to trying out.

The unfortunate thing is that the game has been popular with a not of people who weren't FE fans. So stuff like the by-the-books tropey characters with bleh support convos are probably going to be back. Not that characters were previously some bastion of non-tropeyness or anything, but it stood out a lot more in this game, probably because it's so much easier to gain lots of supports.

But I think just about everyone with any experience with the series has been disappointed by the lack of objective variety and the map design, especially in the latter part of the game where the game basically just turns into open fields of enemies flinging themselves at you.

Children units will always be stronger.

Magic avatar is a straight up beast though.

Well I wasn't actually that impressed with most of the children pairings I made. Some got recruit way late and the only one who could actually fight for themselves was Kjelle, Morgan (in my case). At least my first play through made me realize what pairings I want to go for a second time.

The unfortunate thing is that the game has been popular with a not of people who weren't FE fans. So stuff like the by-the-books tropey characters with bleh support convos are probably going to be back. Not that characters were previously some bastion of non-tropeyness or anything, but it stood out a lot more in this game, probably because it's so much easier to gain lots of supports.

But I think just about everyone with any experience with the series has been disappointed by the lack of objective variety and the map design, especially in the latter part of the game where the game basically just turns into open fields of enemies flinging themselves at you.

I agree with everything you said there. Hopefully they will mix things up a bit more interesting next time as it would not hurt them to improve the level design or add more objectives.

I hope most newcomers take advantage of playing the classic mode as no permadeaths is not the reason why I love Fire Emblem.

Draxal

Let's be real here. The most popular game in the series is FE4; and it wasn't for the gameplay. It was for the story/shipping. And yeah the supports are the same here as in 7/8, but you like said much easier to get, and much more important to get due to the secondary characters.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My main complaint is the lack of map/objective variety. And it's all too easy to break the difficulty balance with how easy it is to grind above the recommended levels. Which is why I'm going to try a no grind run sometime.

That said, the game has tons of extra content, the presentation/production quality is excellent, the pairing mechanic adds extra depth (what if the AI could also pair/double up though?), and I for one do like all the characters and support convo (Henry!).

Acheteedo

Normal/casual could be pretty mindless. Some new folks (but not all of course) find normal difficulty too easy, and adding casual/no permadeath could basically let you just walk through the game.

I'd say try normal/classic first, and make an effort to not let your units die so you have a real goal. Chapter 5 will basically be the determining point, if you find that too easy you might want to start over on a harder difficulty (maybe hard/casual, there's a big difference in each difficulty), if you find it too hard you might want to go back to normal/casual, and if you're good with it just keep on going with normal/classic.

Hmm, thanks for the advice, it's hard for me to say "that's the one for me" without playing it first... I mean I love the idea of perma-death in theory, but it can be a very different matter in practice. Perhaps normal/classic is indeed the way to go. I'd be concerned about getting frustrated with hardcore/casual, I guess I'd prefer the occasional "oh fuck" moment rather than a constant grind.

Draxal

Now that I have two characters with galeforce, this game just got piss easy. I knew I shouldn't have done it. :/

Galeforce is great and all, but it's more the fact that grinding to get galeforce gives you so many stat points and that's what breaks the game.

Antiwhippy

I didn't really need galeforce to make the game piss-easy.

Piss-easy is just moving your units into an area that can attract the most hot-spots, skip to enemy turn, skip entire enemy turn, repeat. :p

It's really depressing when an endboss runs out to attack you, you get caught up in a big speech, and then he throws his axe and misses and the game zooms back out to strategy view.

I found that happening to me more often in older FEs. Especially FE7 for some reason.

GamerSoul

Whwn you guys say grinding, do you mean they way you could replay certain maps like in Sacred Stones to raise characters?

On anothr note, I was replaying FE7 and I just beat it yesterday. It's still as great as ever. Normal seems easier than I remembered because I only had two characters that reached the max level, Jaffar and Florina, and I got through it without much problem. Still love it.

Top Bottom