• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

NeOak

Banned words get censored like ########.

That word filter is more unreliable than next week's weather forecast. Normal words get filtered. I don't know why you are complaining, since i've been on most of the last 2 days and I haven't read anything that merits expulsion from the guild, or even random "douchebaggery". I did ask you in-game about this using your GAF username and you ignored me.

Heck, most of the time the random comments are related to my log in message.

I hope it's better today!

1933799131.png

It's not LOL

Vesper73

Pvp is too much fun. Short story: my level 13 friend gets jumped two on one while questing and is killed, complains to me. I switch channels with my level 20 slayer and slaughter them both. I did get infamy for it, but it was worth it. Fun stuff! Two on one cowards! :)

Side question. If someone is flagged red, can anyone kill them without infamy worry, including people who are a lot higher level?

Wallach

Can't decide whether to keep my 'zerker as a Human or go Castanic. That crit racial seems nice for a 'zerker, especially once things start piling up crit resist in dungeons.

Edit - Looking at their character creation options, the bigger question is would David Bowie wear the earring or not...?

03kB7.jpg

It's huge, but a gaudy earring seem a bit appropriate...

Pvp is too much fun. Short story: my level 13 friend gets jumped two on one while questing and is killed, complains to me. I switch channels with my level 20 slayer and slaughter them both. I did get infamy for it, but it was worth it. Fun stuff! Two on one cowards! :)

Side question. If someone is flagged red, can anyone kill them without infamy worry, including people who are a lot higher level?

I think that's the case.

We had trouble finding a group for SA last night so after giving up on LFG and LFD with no results, we jumped in and tried to 2-man it as a Priest and Berserker. It took a while but we made it about half way through with 2 bosses down, but we made some mistakes we couldn't recover from and wiped. Hopefully, there will be more people in the area later tonight.

Killing an outlaw of any level will never result in infamy.

I've just started playing this. Haven't really touched an MMO since WoW years ago, but something about this game and its combat I find really enjoyable so far. Its a lot of fun to play.

I made a Mystic but I also want a melee alt. What melee class best takes advantage of all the action/mobility of this? A class that emphasizes the moving around and dodging and aiming attacks and such. The class descriptions made the Lancer and Berserker sound more stationary than Slayer and Warrior but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Thanks.

Wallach

I've just started playing this. Haven't really touched an MMO since WoW years ago, but something about this game and its combat I find really enjoyable so far. Its a lot of fun to play.

I made a Mystic but I also want a melee alt. What melee class best takes advantage of all the action/mobility of this? A class that emphasizes the moving around and dodging and aiming attacks and such. The class descriptions made the Lancer and Berserker sound more stationary than Slayer and Warrior but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Thanks.

That is quite accurate, actually. Both Warriors and Slayers are evasion-based melee, while Lancers and Berserkers are block-based. Lancers and Berserkers become deceptively mobile later in the game, but Warriors and Slayers are designed around being agile. The Warrior is more about very fast, constant hits and has the ability to be much more defensive, whereas the Slayer is pure offense and based around much fewer but larger hits.

I have a slayer on the Dragonfall server, although I am kind of regretting not making it on the Valley of Titan's server.

Kind of miss that potential danger you get with open PVP.

Is there a way to transfer characters?

Wallach

I have a slayer on the Dragonfall server, although I am kind of regretting not making it on the Valley of Titan's server.

There is, but you can't transfer between PvP and PvE. You actually can't even transfer between PvP servers right now except to Feral Valley. I think they did re-open character creation on VoT though.

Gala

Does anyone has a spare EU Buddy key left? I missed the Open Beta and would like to try the game before I actually buy it, because Swtor was such a let down for me.

There is, but you can't transfer between PvP and PvE. You actually can't even transfer between PvP servers right now except to Feral Valley. I think they did re-open character creation on VoT though.

Feral Valley population has picked up quite a bit so they re-opened both Jagged Coast and Valley of Titans for character creation. Not sure if you can transfer yet but as Wallach said, you can only transfer between servers of the same type.

What level are you? Once you're familiar with the game it doesn't take very long to go 1-20 and 1-38 can be done in 2-3 days.

KePoW

Banned

What Wallach said.

Feral Valley population has picked up quite a bit so they re-opened both Jagged Coast and Valley of Titans for character creation. Not sure if you can transfer yet but as Wallach said, you can only transfer between servers of the same type.

What level are you? Once you're familiar with the game it doesn't take very long to go 1-20 and 1-38 can be done in 2-3 days.

Berserker is 22/23 I think. Slayer is 14 at the moment. Leveling in the early areas does get faster once you've done it about 3 times, not sure if I want to start over again so soon though. Would like to see some of the areas beyond that.

Arksy

Our first GVG

The story goes like this. I had just arrived in Chebika and this castanic slayer decides for some unknown reason to decalre GvG on the GAF guild so he can try to kill me. I stay in town doing my normal schtick when he starts calling me a coward. I go outside the city gates to fight him but he flees back in when it's clear I'm going to beat him. Didn't stop him from following me for a good 15 mins asking me to come outside of the town so he could whoop me and all the while calling me a whimp.

The result of the GvG? And his response?

If anyone finds any legitimate TERA reviews, please post them here or PM me so I can add them to the OP. I grabbed the two that were on Metacritic but one is in German for the EU version and the other is a horrible Cheat Code Central review that bases everything on World of Warcraft comparisons.

Our first GVG

The story goes like this. I had just arrived in Chebika and this castanic slayer decides for some unknown reason to decalre GvG on the GAF guild so he can try to kill me. I stay in town doing my normal schtick when he starts calling me a coward. I go outside the city gates to fight him but he flees back in when it's clear I'm going to beat him. Didn't stop him from following me for a good 15 mins asking me to come outside of the town so he could whoop me and all the while calling me a whimp.

The result of the GvG? And his response?

Hehe, I ended up getting first blood for us.

I learned that you should always be wary of other players around you. I've noticed people will wait till you're taking on a mob to attack you.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
whats are the pvp done like? is it once your a certain level and certain area's u can be attacked by other players, where as a pve server doesnt have that ?

Izayoi

Banned
Some questions:

1.) I read some US servers are "full". What does this mean? No new characters? Thus, if I were to start playing I would not be able to join GAFers?

2.) Any server I would be able to ping to check my latency with regard to playing on US servers (from the EU)?

3.) What is the recommended/max ping for this more action-oriented battle system?
1.) They recently bumped population caps on all servers, none of them are full anymore.

2.) All US servers are on the East Coast, so whichever one you choose will be accurate.

3.) People played on Korean servers with 300ms+ ping just fine. It definitely makes the game a little more difficult, but the netcode is great and it is certainly doable.

Hmm, I have never really got into an MMO before, mostly because of the combat, but TERA seems to have that covered. 2 questions:

1). Is there any way to try out the game before laying down my 50 euros? I know it just launched but maybe there are guest passes or something?
2). I want to play with my 360 controller. Which classes are good/ bad for this control method?

Thanks
1.) There was (during open beta and headstart), but I don't know if there is now. It's likely that there will be some sort of trial system eventually.

2.) Melee, non-tanking classes are probably the best - so Slayer and Berserker.

Gotta decide what way to go for crafting as a Beserker...Anybody got suggestions? I haven't read up on TERA crafting at all
It doesn't really matter. When you're crafting, it's going to be at cap, unless you're a hyper slow leveler there's no reason to do it while leveling up.

Can't decide whether to keep my 'zerker as a Human or go Castanic. That crit racial seems nice for a 'zerker, especially once things start piling up crit resist in dungeons.
It's really not that big of a deal. Human males have some of the best heavy armor in the game (far, far better than Castanic males) and personally I think that's more important than a tiny percentage. If you're in to min-maxing, then it would probably be the way to go, but otherwise I'd say stick with human.

Arksy

I am loving this game, about a hundred times more then I thought I would. It's just so enchanting and the combat is just so much fun.

KaYotiX

Banned
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...y-2-minutes-because-subscription-error?page=1

I talked to a GM and he seemed stumped, so I've been digging for info to try to help them while he passes the information to a review team. He told me to expect a day or two at least for it to be fixed, and gave me 5 more days on my account.

It's virtually unplayable atm though, hard to quest or run a dungeon when you get tossed every 90 seconds...

As of yesterday my wife is having the same problems, log on and 5 mins later she is kicked saying "no sub" but on the char screen it clearly shows a sub good till the end of the month.

After a long day at work all she wanted to do was play but no dice and she was kinda pissed about that too. Hopefully it's all fixed soon.

As of yesterday my wife is having the same problems, log on and 5 mins later she is kicked saying "no sub" but on the char screen it clearly shows a sub good till the end of the month.

After a long day at work all she wanted to do was play but no dice and she was kinda pissed about that too. Hopefully it's all fixed soon.

The GM's are telling people anywhere from days to a week or more. :(

I'm actually about to talk to another one, and try a few things. One thing we found is that you can reroll on another server and it wont kick you off(at least was still in after 30 minutes). I also took it a step further and transferred my level 26 slayer alt off of Dragonfall, and he's been sitting in game for 30 minutes now as well. Before I transferred, he was unable to stay in for more then 2-3 minutes without getting kicked out with expired subscription errors. Just seems like a really weird situation all in all.

Tess3ract

Banned
Banned words get censored like ########. I'm just concerned about random douchebaggery. I'm fine with people inviting their non-gaf friends in, or other people who seem civil enough after spending some time with them in a party or what not, but if it's just random strangers who can't string together a coherent sentence, then it'll get messy real soon.

"like this" even gets censored though. The filter is dumb.

Torraz

Caved. I'm in for at least a month on the US servers. On what servers are the GAF guilds? It'll take around 10 hours for the client to download so the game should be ready by the time I get out of bed again ;). I kinda doubt D3 is going to have perfect stability directly after launch and there is no sign of an immediate GW 2 launch so I think I can juggle these two games for now!

Caved. I'm in for at least a month on the US servers. On what servers are the GAF guilds? It'll take around 10 hours for the client to download so the game should be ready by the time I get out of bed again ;). I kinda doubt D3 is going to have perfect stability directly after launch and there is no sign of an immediate GW 2 launch so I think I can juggle these two games for now!

PVP - Valley of titan
PVE - Dragonfall

T.O.P

Banned
Got to level 28 with my sorcerer, i'm having a blast with this class, beat SB and after a lot of struggling i menaged to kill Lanok (first time i see him there) in the Bastion Vale by myself <3

Some sweet rare loop from it too <3

7 hours of play time today, geez

glaurung

Started the download of the EU version late this afternoon, the game got downloaded a long time ago, but now it just downloads massive patches.

*gives up, goes to bed*

Maybe tomorrow.

Torraz

I usually play casters so I was thinking of going with a melee this time around.

Still not sure whether to play a tank or melee dps.

1) Lancer would probably be preferable to warrior, due to ease of tanking and not moving the monster around when doing it?

2) Can one play the tank classes as melee dps (for leveling purposes etc).

3) What's the big difference between slayer and berserker? Does anyone have an opinion as to which one is more "fun" (subjectively speaking)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) Lancer would probably be preferable to warrior, due to ease of tanking and not moving the monster around when doing it?
Yes.
2) Can one play the tank classes as melee dps (for leveling purposes etc).
Lancer solo leveling gets slower the further you go.

Top Bottom