• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Jet Grind Radio vs. Jet Set Radio Future

"Really? Is ad hominem-ing everyone who prefers Future as people who suck at games and can't stand it appropriate? Not cool."

Yes. Future is dull, boring, paceless dreck. I can only imagine how many XP pop ups and chest-high walls it would have if it was made just a few years later. It boggles my mind that Sega actually released the relatively challenging Panzer Dragoon Orta the next year.

The better game? Honestly I think the other complimented the others' short comings. I for one still think it says much that both have changed well over the years.

a.wd

-PXG- said:
Princess Skittles already has the hots for me since I promised if I win the lottery, I'd get the rights to the game and rehire every SmileBit employee to make a new game.

It's like you Read my mind

Oh and JSRF is the better game, but I love both of them like they were my own kids. However I play JSRF probably once every 2 months still so...

"Future had some tricky platforming sections for sure."

Only with the graffiti souls. And 90% of the challenge there was deciphering that inane shit.

SykoTech

Never got a chance to play Future. :(

But based on gameplay videos, it looks fun. Perhaps a bit too easy and the tagging does look dumbed down, but I bet I would have liked it. I do hate the way most of the characters look in Future though. Mew, Combo, and Piranha look particularly stupid.

Soundtrack wise, they're on par with each other. The remixes in Future were nowhere near as good as the originals, but Future's new material was ace. I could listen to Aisle 10, The Concept of Love, Teknopathetic, and Like a Butterfly all day.

Funky Dealer is probably the best one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WZhmBhtOc&feature=related

Man, there really needs to be another one of these. Or at least put the original up on PSN/XBLA for starters. RubyEclipse, I hope you are bugging Sega of Japan about this on a daily basis.

Lijik

Mortrialus said:
Really? Is ad hominem-ing everyone who prefers Future as people who suck at games and can't stand it appropriate? Not cool.
In our last JSR thread, there was a lot of "JSR sucks because its too hard because im video game baby" posts.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Future always felt like Smilebit didn't get why the original was so good. You would defeat opposition with this broken combat and then kind of mope around the overly large levels to pull the trigger and auto-paint stuff. To try to add something to this there is really crummy platforming with pits and gaps that just hamper your progress by sending you a few minutes back. It's garbage really.

The original was all about staying one step ahead of your enemies by planning a good route, knowing shortcuts and escape routes, timing your tag right and being quick about it.

Also, the future is dumb. Fuck it.

Lijik said:
Mortrialus said:
Really? Is ad hominem-ing everyone who prefers Future as people who suck at games and can't stand it appropriate? Not cool.
In our last JSR thread, there was a lot of "JSR sucks because its too hard" posts.

Yep. There is nothing wrong about the difficulty in JSR compared to JSRF. I only thought that JSRF was more cheap at times, but never found JSR to be difficult.

Hell, the only time I was ever frustrated playing was the Skyscraper level for the Immortals in JSRF because it was so tedious.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Both were amazing, but I thought future was better. I just felt like they took everything from the first one and made it even better in the sequel.

Koralsky

Both are great games, but close to my heart is, well:

Jet_Set_Radio_Japanese_box_art_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

PSN/XBLA is a must, SEGA, listen your fans.

Lijik

Mortrialus said:
If you deal with a lot of obnoxious people who all happen to be boaters, and you dealt with all of them at like a boating convention, I would give you a pass for saying "Man it sucks boaters are so obnoxious".

Articalys

I can see where analog-stick-rotation QTEs would turn off some people, but spamming a single button does take it a bit too far in the other direction.

Muffdraul

Stylo said:
So basically kill any tension that added to the fun of the first game?

If that's how you see it, that's your business. I didn't see JSR as the sort of game that benefited from "tension", and it certainly didn't add any fun for me. I had more fun taking as much time as I wanted in JRSF trying to figure out how to trick my way to the extreme nether regions of the levels.

Dizzy said:
Loved JSR, and so JSRF was one of the reasons I bought an Xbox but what a disappointment it turned out to be. The lack of police and change to tagging just ruined it for me.

Same exact reasons I prefer JSR over JSRF.

Even if they didn't go with the version pitched in 2006 (and let's face it, Sega's pretty different between 2006 and now), at least the potential of a new one is amazing. The tagging would be much more awesome with a Motion+ Remote, or a Move controller, or dare I even say... a Cafe touch-screen?

Instead of just portioning out a JPG, the more complex tags could be done in real-time, with you actually painting them (maybe following a mold to start with, then freestyling later on). It would make it that much more hilarious when you went back to an earlier part of the city, and saw the rubbish tagging you did, or how much more effort you put into it at first.

-PXG-

Teknopathetic said:
"Really? Is ad hominem-ing everyone who prefers Future as people who suck at games and can't stand it appropriate? Not cool."

Yes. Future is dull, boring, paceless dreck. I can only imagine how many XP pop ups and chest-high walls it would have if it was made just a few years later. It boggles my mind that Sega actually released the relatively challenging Panzer Dragoon Orta the next year.

You're trippin son. I am disappoint.

Muffdraul

-PXG- said:
You're trippin son. I am disappoint.

"Yo yo yo muthaFUCK anyone who thinks JSR is even slightly inferior to Future, which is shit, and if you like it that means you like shit."

Like many, I was an early Xbox adopter specifically because of JSRF.

I wasn't fond of the major changes. It seem to attempt to amp up the speed of the game, but also dropped the difficulty and much of the charm of the original.

However compared to many of the games launched that generation, JSRF still stood above a cut above the majority, at least to me, when it came to a fresh style, originality, and gameplay.

Due to backwards compatibility and the fact the laser in my Dreamcast has died, I've played JSRF more often than JSR.

JSR still prevails to me as the winner.

I'd go as far as to say I hated Jet Set Radio. I remember being excited to play it but found the gameplay dull and slow. Yes, JSRF took out much of the challenge of tagging but in the process traded up for faster, more streamlined gameplay and a better soundtrack IMO.

Character design-wise, I like both about equally.

JSRF is awesome, JGR is trash with crappy controls for tagging and boring levels
Insane platforming challenges > trying to work the DC stick to make random motions and tag stuff
Shots fired

Zoramon089 said:
JSRF is awesome, JGR is trash with crappy controls for tagging and boring levels
Insane platforming challenges > trying to work the DC stick to make random motions and tag stuff
Shots fired
This guy knows what's up.

It's one thing to prefer games with challenge, but not when the challenge comes from inherently poor design.

Dambrosi

Banned
Muffdraul said:
"Yo yo yo muthaFUCK anyone who thinks JSR is even slightly inferior to Future, which is shit, and if you like it that means you like shit."
I couldn't have said that better myself! :D

bill.cosby

Neo Member
i got future as a pack in with an xbox in 2002. thats the only one i got to play so....i guess i have to go with future. it was a fun, pretty unique game that i'd like to see a new version of

Lijik

Kulock said:
Even if they didn't go with the version pitched in 2006 (and let's face it, Sega's pretty different between 2006 and now), at least the potential of a new one is amazing. The tagging would be much more awesome with a Motion+ Remote, or a Move controller, or dare I even say... a Cafe touch-screen?

Instead of just portioning out a JPG, the more complex tags could be done in real-time, with you actually painting them (maybe following a mold to start with, then freestyling later on). It would make it that much more hilarious when you went back to an earlier part of the city, and saw the rubbish tagging you did, or how much more effort you put into it at first.

I like this concept.
If they keep the cops chasing you, you'd have sloppy tags and it'd be like "Oh yeah, thats when I kept getting swamped"

I always liked JSRF better. Both were amazing.

I used to grind on rails for hours in JSRF, going around and around a set path on the same map. Loved it.

Jet Set Radio was a massive part of Sega's Dreamcast-era renaissance. It was a certain couple of years where they were on an idea binge, unafraid to mix ultra-hip art styles and music with different gameplay.

Stylo

How are the controls unresponsive or bad at all in JSR? Do you guys only have 3 fingers on each hand?

The levels are refined and smaller in JSR. JSRFs levels always felt like quantity > quality.

Azure J

As much as I have yet to really get in depth with either of these games yet (I know, bad Azure), I feel compelled to state everytime a LttP thread comes up on them that these games have both the most cohesive and genuinely "funky" style in all of videogames. Also Hideki Naganuma (and Richard Jacques, but Hideki moreso) is a motherfucking monster.

Kujo

I love Jet Set Radio.

I also think I judged JSRF too hard when I played it and I really want to play it again. But the prices for the non bundled version on eBay are a bit much and a lot seem to not that great condition. I really wish Sega would put this up with the Xbox Originals for 1200msp, even if a couple of the levels dip in framerate.

Stylo said:
How are the controls unresponsive or bad at all in JSR? Do you guys only have 3 fingers on each hand?

The levels are refined and smaller in JSR. JSRFs levels always felt like quantity > quality.

Actually moving your character is extremely stiff and lacks the fluid precision of JSRF.

As I mentioned constantly mashing the run button off and on sucks big time.

The jump physics are completely fucked.

Open explorable worlds> Arbitrary time limits. Always.

mj1108

JGR/JSR >>>>> JSRF

I fucking LOVED JGR/JSR. I imported it and played it to death, then bought the localized version to support it. JSRF came along and well....it sucked. Getting rid of the time limit sucked and it felt like the stuff that made the original great was completely absent.

Which reminds me, I still have an extra unopened copy of Jet Grind Radio around here somewhere.....

Stylo

Mortrialus said:
Actually moving your character is extremely stiff and lacks fluid precision.

As I mentioned constantly mashing the run button off and on sucks big time.

The jump physics are completely fucked.

Open explorable worlds> Arbitrary time limits. Always.

I'll agree that having to use the run button sucks sometimes. While the precision is better in JSRF, the characters have an initial acceleration a bit quickly that you can make a mistake when you want to make a jump.

Open explorable are better than arbitrary time limits, except the time limit is not arbitrary in JSR. It's essential to the game's design.

Karkador

Banned
I felt like the graffiti prompts in JSR were integral to the gameplay. It added tension and was really rewarding when you finished big pieces, though the Dreamcast's analog maybe makes it a little harsh to look back on. I think I appreciated the graffiti work more in the first game. JSFR is all about blasting past the graffiti points and never looking twice at it.

But aside from that, can't we all agree that Hideki Naganuma needs to make more music? Maybe Jet Set Radio 3 should just be a CD.

Lijik

Mortrialus said:
As I mentioned constantly mashing the run button off and on sucks big time. .

Please elaborate, because Im picturing you just mashing it like a madman and if so theres your problem.

Karkador said:
But aside from that, can't we all agree that Hideki Naganuma needs to make more music? Maybe Jet Set Radio 3 should just be a CD.
I really feel like Sega should just quit making games but keeping making soundtracks to fake games.
Like that score for a non-existant Shadows of the Empire movie that was put out, except for Nights, JSR, Sonic and stuff.

Both good games, but the original was better.

I get the impression JSRF was kind of rushed. A shame because with a bit more time and a slight rethink of priorities (see: tagging, cops) it could have been the better game.

UrbanRats

Love both at the same time.
Future is more fast paced, JSR requires more skills (probably).
Two different approaches, i love 'em both.

Lijik said:
Please elaborate, because Im picturing you just mashing it like a madman and if so theres your problem.

Mashing it? Not in that sense, but as long as you are running you're forced to constantly keep a rhythm with the right trigger and that is extremely annoying.

Top Bottom