• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with atmosphere so pretty, you stop playing and just take it all in.

Bunga

Maybe not the prettiest, but I can't think of a game where the environments have stuck in my brain like they have in WoW. I didn't even play a lot of WoW, never did end-game or anything, but I can recall the appearance and, more importantly, the "feel" of every single zone I went to.

finley83

Banned
This might be an odd one but I'm playing Killzone 2 for the first time at the moment and really appreciate how well designed and consistent it looks. Despite the intentionally drab colours and gritty environments it's a beautiful looking game and in quieter moments it's nice to just slow down and take in the views.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One I haven't seen in the thread is Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future.

Say what you will about its flaws but the game has an incredibly serene, captivating atmosphere. The music, the ambiance and the visual design are perfect. I was hoping Abzu could capture that feeling but alas, no.

mindatlarge

Guess it depends on your definition of pretty. I've always found a certain beauty in the city, probably even more so than rural areas. Playing SR3 a few years back, I found a lot of the city settings coupled with the lighting to be pretty pleasing to the eye.

3A42812FD46B779903763E6F85731620F2EB52CB

Sailent

Banned
I'm a big slut for the Cyberpunk genre, and recently I played Observer. And damn the atmosphere is soo good:

screenshot.observer.1920x1080.2017-06-25.7.jpg

screenshot.observer.1920x1080.2017-08-15.21.jpg

screenshot.observer.1920x1080.2017-08-15.16.jpg

Also, it has Rutger Hauer.

sibarraz

Banned
Last Blade 1 and 2

The backgrounds, the sprites, the music, for me no other fighting game (or almost any genre really) came close to be labeled as art like this game

Raptomex

- GTA V
- Wolfenstein TNO and TOB. Some of the backdrops were gorgeous. I loved Paderborn Village in TOB.
- Breath of the Wild
- Uncharted 4

WoW still stops me in my tracks sometimes. A more cartoony style but the high fantasy art is on point. The use of color is gorgeous, and the variety of environments second to none. Love this world.

Beat me to it. Your screenshots really highlighted how well they used colour in the game, even with the simply geometry and objects.

I remember various zones I was just blown away by when I first stepped foot in them:

- Feralas (loads of Emerald Nightmare-themed green and lush forest)
- Silithus (that tower of bugs was something else... couldn't believe it)
- Moonglade (snowy zones always resonant well for me)
- Netherstorm (the great use of purple and lightning-scarred landscape is just brilliant)

On topic, I still find the Spyro the Dragon games beautiful to look around due to again, fantastic use of colour.

zenspider

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Many times a vista would take my breath away and I'd have to pause. At least once
when I discovered you could reach the scaffolding above Cauldros well before a side mission led you up there
, I had to take a break from the game from being so thrilled and overwhelmed.

Bound (in VR) also had that push/pull of "I can't wait to see what's next" and "I want to be right here forever".

Guild Wars 2

gw018.jpg

DOZwr.jpg

2010_May_Divinity%27s_Reach_Canthan_district_Polished.jpg

GardenOfDawn.jpg

ThePlanetarium.jpg

I could go on and on.

Recently (because I'm playing it now thanks to PS+), I'm finding Just Cause 3's Mediterranean vistas and villages extremely beautiful.

58144-just_cause_3_scenery_wallpaper.jpg

NaMYzOR.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
Witcher 3...........I ended up walking a lot of the game instead of riding Roach because of it too.......wasted hours just walking around.

It's a world that isn't flooded all the time with enemies, and I am so glad it was designed that way. You could actually walk more then 100 feet without spotting an enemy.

Yup Xenoblade Chronicles X. The world is gigantic, but it feels like every little part has been beautifully crafted. Such detail, and I love that there is a lot of verticality too. It's probably the game I've spent the most time in just because I loved the atmosphere and the world, with the actual game being secondary.

Probably said a thousand times, but BoTW is the first game in a while where I've done this. A lot.

I've genuinely wasted hours just taking in the environment, watching wildlife and weather roll past, doing a bit of hunting and cooking. It's sublime.

Honestly by this point Zelda must be getting pretty pissed but I figure she's been there 100 years, she can wait a few months longer whilst I get my outdoors on.

Agreed. Zelda is a beautiful game. I'll also mention Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian.

LordKasual

Banned
The Black Shroud in FFXIV is probably my favorite forest area in any game. Just running around feels so natural.

The Clegine region in FFXV was also like this for me, especially by the water and coast. During the morning/dusk hours, the way the light hits the water is serene. Altissia at night during the Chocobo Carnival is something else as well.

Decided to play XV high once and literally just ran around on foot with my mouth open for what felt like an hour

Wow

Zelda BotW for me is totally dope !

I love being on top of a mountain and just looking around in a zen state and decide i wanna go there and hop on the glider ! Feels great and that music... This is something Zelda does so well.

One word: Korriban.

I vividly remember being in this exact place during my first playthrough and sitting there for several minutes. The lighting and perspective was so well designed for that time I still remember that sense of awe. It's not just visually appealing either, Korriban was by far my favorite part of the game.

latest

CTLance

For me, this is "MMORPG - the thread". It all started with that accursed game called "Phantasy Star Online". Great atmosphere, awesome music, spiffy SciFi theme and neat monster design. The game itself, eeeeeh. I mean I enjoyed collecting loot and whatnot as much as anyone, but I'd be lying if I stated that I'd play the same game (mechanically) with a different skin and OST just as fervently... Ok, not a good example. I'd play the shit out of it. Dammit. Still, I wouldn't be enjoying it half as much.

I spent countless hours in the WOW starting areas. Night elves and blood elves in particular. The bloom and the atmosphere and the music and the artwork and ...
I think my highest levelled character is Level 50-something. I lost much of my interest in the actual game loop after around Level 20-ish. Just kept on trucking to experience the areas and scripted events until I got fed up with getting ganked by the other faction or got oneshotted by mobs.

I bought Guildwars with all expansions and Guildwars 2 just so I could walk around and bathe in the OST and artwork. Sure, I played quite a bit as well, but honestly, appreciation of the countless manhours invested in creating those worlds has to account for at least 50% of my motivation. Even desolate places are still so beautiful.

Heck, I even bought the FF14 CE after having played the abysmal beta/stresstest just so I could roll around in Final Fantasyisms for a while. I even bought into one of the later "all in one" FF11 packs to check out the look and feel of that world. Didn't stick around, but had fun with the free included month or whatever.

I have also spent way too much time idling in the starter area of Ryzom just to watch the weather/season cycle and the scripted Enemy NPCs migrating around accordingly and preying on each other etc.

Rift as well, although the invasions are admittedly an active part of the game I never could withstand the urge even to join even the low level ones just because I felt like beating back an invading horde, not necessarily because it was fun or for the loot.

...also, Metroid Prime. All kicked off due to that shitty landing and the rain and the music and dammit where is my Wii I wanna play...

gtavocean.gif

I was absolutely mesmerized by what Rockstar achieved with the ocean rendering and its wave physics.
I'd often take a boat or a jetski and just sail along the coast of Sandy Shores.

Widge

Last time I felt like I had the time to do this was playing GTA3.

I used to like getting a Yakuza Stinger, going up to the heights on the third island and kicking back on a cliff (preferably storm or fog) with MSX FM on. Usually was a break to create something tobacco based or have a coffee, before kicking back into the game.

I spend a lot of time in the atmosphere of Fez I suppose, that OST follows me everywhere.

I don't usually do this in games with "levels" but in most open world games that take place out in nature (so like Skyrim rather than a GTA) I usually stumble across some really nice shot outlooking an impressive vista or something and I pause.

I got Skyrim during a snow storm and exploring the mountainside made me pause because it totally looked like my backyard at times.

Symphony of the Night

Not the best gif for this, but the ascent up the bell towers in Royal Chapel. The unbelievably brilliant music combined with those gorgeous racing clouds over the distant forests:

tumblr_nomrtdkySQ1syxpzco1_500.gif

Dark Souls II

As much as I dislike the actual game, Majula is gorgeous and a great moment. Then again, my post could be really a giant slew of Souls moments in general. I've never stopped and gawked so much, aside from DSII, they're all absolutely gorgeous and creative.

sdbfpD.gif

Top Bottom