• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How I'd fix Xbox's first party problem-" ign

dr_rus

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/08/17/opinion-how-id-fix-xboxs-first-party-problem

Suggests the following

-Reboot Fable at Rare
-Make a first person Shadowrun RPG
-Bring back Crimson Skies
-Alan Wake 2
-Itagaki for Ninja Gaiden spiritual successor, also recommends ties with Sega for Shinobi Reboot
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2
-Xbox Live Arcade returns

Do you agree with this? What would you do differently?

Shadowrun RPG - hardly 1st party
Alan Wake 2 - not 1st party at all
ties with Sega for Shinobi Reboot - not 1st party
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2 - not 1st party

So even out of these weird ass recommendations about a half is not 1st party and thus won't help MS lack of exclusive s/w problem.

MS just needs to make more games, period.

Oh, and make these games new IPs please. Stop with the reboots/sequels.

EmiPrime

I guess some folks just really want a good Steambox, not an Xbox.

Said folks need to accept that Microsoft aren't going to cede control of their console business over to valve and that the Microsoft store is here to stay and even if in some alternative reality it did happen, it wouldn't work as seamlessly as they imagine.

daman824

Microsoft needs to focus attention on what they do have instead of what they don't. If they absolutely refuse to create large first party studios and push out new ip, they should focus on, and bolster the positives of their platform.

I believe they could give fable to rare. Fable was a huge Xbox ip, which is why I'm incredibly surprised Microsoft slowly killed it after fable 3. Creating a good rpg with fable 4 would go a long way towards helping microsofts image

They need to advertise their backwards compatability solution. The fact that you can play disks from ANY generation of Xbox on the Xbox One should be a huge advantage for Microsoft. Especially since one of their competitors requires you to pay for, and stream previous generation games. And their other competitor doesn't even have a solution set up yet. They need to capitalize on it and paint their competition in a bad light.

I think the return of Xbox live arcade would be good as well. The summer of arcade is what got me in to games like Limbo and Splosion man. And none of those were first party games. The article is correct in pointing out that "Xbox live" and the infrastructure Microsoft has built is a positive that Microsoft is underutilizing.

I'm still mad that they fired Ensemble, then went on to make Halo Wars 2 and Age of Empires without them anyway.

If they make a true Fable sequel with someone else, after Lionhead begged them for years and was shuttered, I will be furious.

Especially idiotic given that Fable was their 3rd most valuable franchise.

Is there any way they could rebuild Lionhead, or is everyone scattered to the four winds?

It's really sad what happened to the Fable franchise. The main 3 games were all commercially successful

kodecraft

Xbox needs to differentiate itself more, in my opinion. I know it's a controversial opinion to have, but I honestly believe that Xbox One had a more unique and interesting identity during its initial unveil. Had the company made the online-only thing optional and truly leveraged "the cloud" to make the online experience so much better than what people would experience offline without intentionally crippling the offline experience, then I think the rest would've fallen into place. The problem now is that PlayStation is leading, and PlayStation simply offers far more software. The first-party exclusives aren't enough, nor are they the only problem that Xbox has, because even third-party software on PlayStation significantly outnumbers whatever's on Xbox.

I agree here.

Xbox + kinect + Xbox arcade.

Said folks need to accept that Microsoft aren't going to cede control of their console business over to valve and that the Microsoft store is here to stay and even if in some alternative reality it did happen, it wouldn't work as seamlessly as they imagine.

Great answer, I just wish people would actually realise this.

Pein

Banned
Ninja Theory? The studio isn't capable of creating a good action game. Valhalla Game Studios is.
You would trash ninja theory but bring up Valhalla studios? I love itagaki but no fucking way can I take this post seriously 😆

Needs new heavily funded AAA IP.

About 7 or 8 of them.

Yearly.
That's quite a bit. Maybe smaller titles like Halo Wars mixed with bigger games like Forza.
Simpler solution

- Let xbox one X run steam and steam games. Bigscreen mode if its needed from a technical standpoint.
- Get rid of Windows 10 games store, that thing is trash. Migrate it all to steam/steamworks.
- Partner with steam to sell games on a custom xbox steam front, microsoft gets 20%, steam gets 10%, devs get 70% (or whatever mix works out for all three parties).

Bam, now X runs PC games flawlessly, X games are just steam games so devs only have to make PC/PS4 ports, do whatever technical thing you need so people can't run custom hacks or other executables just digitally signed steam games.
There's no reason for MS to continue in the Xbox business if they do this.
It would also likely be adding DRM to a console which didn't work out last time

daman824

Fable needs to come back. With games like skyrim and witcher 3 doing so well, I believe a third person open world fable 4 could push the franchise ahead of halo. Microsoft bailed on it at the worst possible time

If you break down this generation in a similar fashion it'd look pretty damn good. The problem is the returns.

New Insomniac IP. New Remedy Games IP. Panzer Dragoon spiritual successor, new cinematic Roman empire brawler with incredible graphics, New IP from Platinum Games, David Jones returning for Crackdown 3.

Wow, sounds awesome. Multiple delays, under-performances, disappointments, and cancellations later the returns on that awesome batch was anything but.

Nope, none of that will work

and the Xbox Play anywhere thing pretty much killed it imo.

People will simply just buy/build a PC and buy a PS4 to get everything.

firelogic

Why is everyone having a love fest over Itagaki? If he could or wanted to make a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden, we wouldn't have gotten The Devil's Third. You make it sound like he's been at the top of his game for years and a game made by his studio is instant classic material.

And Ninja Theory is far superior to Valhalla Games. Why is this even a question? Gameplay? DmC wipes the floor with Devil's Third.

daman824

Nope, none of that will work

and the Xbox Play anywhere thing pretty much killed it imo.

People will simply just buy/build a PC and buy a PS4 to get everything.
The Xbox play anywhere didn't kill it. Third party AAA games are starting to overtake console exclusives. People aren't buying an xbox1 or PS4 to play god of war or halo, they are buying it to play grand theft auto 5 and call of duty with their friends.m

Exclusives pad lineups, they don't sell systems anymore. Sony has realized this and reacted by releasing most of their exclusives early in the year outside of the holiday season.

Microsoft lost this generation so badly because they released a weaker box at a higher price. AND they had the horrible used games fiasco.

Zukkoyaki

Whatever they're doing or could do with the first party situation, we probably won't see the fruits for a few years anyway. If they really do want to overhaul Microsoft Studios and its line-up, it would be to get Xbox 4 into a position to succeed, not to improve the fortunes of the Xbox One.

Jetboxx

Why is everyone having a love fest over Itagaki? If he could or wanted to make a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden, we wouldn't have gotten The Devil's Third. You make it sound like he's been at the top of his game for years and a game made by his studio is instant classic material.
Well, Devil's Third is pretty decent despite the fact it was in development hell.
And Ninja Theory is far superior to Valhalla Games. Why is this even a question? Gameplay? DmC wipes the floor with Devil's Third.
DmC is their best game. And you know why? Because of Itsuno and other Capcom guys. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved feature pretty shitty gameplay. I haven't played Hellblade yet, but I watched some videos and the gameplay looks pretty meh too.

I don't feel like MGS is harnessing even a fraction of the non-monetary resources and capital at Microsoft to make the XBox a success. Sure, there's the money and that's very important, but what about interlacing their other products and services with the XBox brand to produce a more comprehensive and attractive item? Sony seems to leverage its music and movie muscle to near flawless synchronization with Playstation that it almost seems unfair and yet MS doesn't do the same with their other resources to benefit MGS. Why?

How do you leave so many rare IPs on the table. This guy would fix little to nothing.

Also where the fuck is my new viva pinata already???

Jetboxx

How do you leave so many rare IPs on the table. This guy would fix little to nothing.

Also where the fuck is my new viva pinata already???
Yeah, we need Viva Piñata. I mean the games were pretty popular, weren't they? We need Viva Piñata 2 (Trouble in Paradise is, like, VP 1.5)!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Have them build up studios who aren't Gears/Halo/Forza factories or Rare making something that will be good but won't sell. Problem solved.

daman824

I also think Microsoft isn't using a lot of their old ip very well.

A remade banjo kazooie/tooie released for $40 would sell very well if advertised right.

And a new viva pinata with light microtransactions could sell well too

In terms of third party exclusives to secure, I think Crytek is worth giving a second shot now that the XBX will be retaking the performance crown. Not on a Ryse sequel, but probably a third person shooter/adventure hybrid, or on a third person shooter/RPG hybrid, more in Crytek's comfort zone. It would be a graphical showcase and another die-roll on creating a new IP for Microsoft.

As part of a broader strategy looking forward though, differentiating from Sony is probably a smarter move than trying to be an inferior clone of Sony. GaaS is extremely non-sexy for people in terms of list wars and hype, but frankly, something in that vein is a lot more likely to capture a large, sustained audience than trying to copy Uncharted. They still need to make conventional games too, but creating enough break-out hits to beat Sony at their own game is really damn unlikely to happen. Sea of Thieves is probably their most forward-looking game for this reason.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
None of those suggestions would move the needle for their business. Old, tired franchises appeal to a limited subset of the customers they already have. They need an infusion of new talent building exciting new IPs, preferably a mix of ones with mass appeal, and a few art house style passion projects.

I'd argue that bringing back Fable in particular is one of the last things they should do.

Warablo

They need a AAA new ip. Ala Gears of War or Halo, if they cant create that, then they need to make The Last of Us clone that will appeal to the masses.

I have a lot of respect for Ryan, but this list feels a lot more like "games I want Microsoft to make" than games that would actually help solve their first party problems. I'm pretty skeptical that the modern Xbox gamer would even care about half of these things.

Betty

Banned
-Reboot Fable at Rare -Fable got worse and worse, the stories aren't good and the gameplay is tedious, it's better off dead
-Make a first person Shadowrun RPG - aka throw money away, no
-Bring back Crimson Skies - it would be a popular decision but again it's not a big deal for most
-Alan Wake 2 - Lots of fans want it so sure, personally I couldn't care less.
-Itagaki for Ninja Gaiden spiritual successor, also recommends ties with Sega for Shinobi Reboot - Nah, NG is dead and a reboot or successor won't mean anything.
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2 - Never happen with current Ubisoft
-Xbox Live Arcade returns - That's a good idea, although we kinda have indies already which fill the void.

In the end Microsoft just needs more exclusive games, ANY games, throughout the year.

Sony exclusives from the start of this year alone trounce Microsoft's entire year.

scoobs

Shadowrun RPG - hardly 1st party
Alan Wake 2 - not 1st party at all
ties with Sega for Shinobi Reboot - not 1st party
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2 - not 1st party

So even out of these weird ass recommendations about a half is not 1st party and thus won't help MS lack of exclusive s/w problem.

MS just needs to make more games, period.

Oh, and make these games new IPs please. Stop with the reboots/sequels.

This guy is spot on. The problem is they never expanded their 1st party efforts and relied too heavily on 3rd party in the 360 era when they were the dominant console. It really screwed them over in the XB1 gen when they don't have 3rd party to lean on. This is why you need a strong 1st party.

Microsoft has 1st party studios, but they're forcing them to poop out sequels to established franchises instead of letting them develop new ideas. That's why they're stuck in this rut.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rebooting Fable should be high on their list. Fable does really well and a good one would bring a ton of fans back.

KingBroly

Banned
This guy is spot on. The problem is they never expanded their 1st party efforts and relied too heavily on 3rd party in the 360 era when they were the dominant console. It really screwed them over in the XB1 gen when they don't have 3rd party to lean on. This is why you need a strong 1st party.

Microsoft has 1st party studios, but they're forcing them to poop out sequels to established franchises instead of letting them develop new ideas. That's why they're stuck in this rut.

I don't even think they're doing that. They killed Fable along with a lot of their first party studios. They simply don't have the personnel to make first party games. Why is Sea of Thieves taking so long? Crackdown 3 as well? I'm guessing it's because they want every game to be a "service." The problem is these games WILL NEVER WORK as services. Microsoft's mentality for their games is Online Multiplayer, Season Passes and Loot Crates. They simply have no diversity in terms of genres or types of games (i.e. every game they make has the exact same structure; it's monotonous).

Nothing about Microsoft's first party lineup feels unique.

Make games that we're not thinking about. That's what makes Sony's titles so good to me.

I didn't ask for a game like Uncharted 1, Journey, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Heavy Rain. All of these and more had concepts that were really new during their time and are what makes them classics in my book.

Top Bottom