• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
StuBurns said:
I've just finished reading the article, the game appears to be essentially what I've been asking for from the series this whole generation. I'm fairly surprised to say, I am very excited about it.

Article was good... though I kind of wish they talked about traversal a bit more than just describing a couple quasi-QTE sequences.

Dyno

Reading the bullet points gives me a FarCry vibe. The island sounds like it's open world and persistant.

StuBurns

Banned
recklessmind said:
Article was good... though I kind of wish they talked about traversal a bit more than just describing a couple quasi-QTE sequences.
I don't think the article is very good actually, but they're clearly working from very little, presumably a developer driven demo and a couple of minutes with some staff. It's not till the final two pages I got a real shape of what the game should be (which is pretty poor in terms of framing the specific situation they detail earlier).

What I wanted from the franchise was big budget, open world, magical Lost-like island to go around and explore, with areas you can only get to in some situations. It's broad strokes admittedly, but it's enough to believe they're certainly giving the IP what I think it needs and has needed for awhile.

They put out some solid titles last generation, but Tomb Raider went from being one of the most important series in the early PS1 generation, to a common punchline in the last generation. They needed to completely reinvent it for it to ever mean something again. And with Uncharted providing the heavily guided Tomb Raiding with insane production values, it had to do something wildly different.

I'm very happy with everything I've seen and read so far.

Yoshiya said:
Eidos has actually turned out to be a far wiser purchase for Square than anyone realised at the time. Overnight Square went from having no Western development expertise whatsoever to having a suite of very competent developers, at a comparatively low price.

Yup. Eidos were actually a surprisingly good fit for Square Enix: SE's problem was that they had tons of money but all their producers and teams are terrible with no modern development skills or good project management abilities, while Eidos' problem was that they had several strong teams but no money or room to let said teams develop and prosper.

Evolved1

StuBurns said:
I don't think the article is very good actually...

I just mean it was fun to read, and get some actual information about the game... I've been thinking/speculating about it since the original leak.

FoneBone

charlequin said:
Yup. Eidos were actually a surprisingly good fit for Square Enix: SE's problem was that they had tons of money but all their producers and teams are terrible with no modern development skills or good project management abilities, while Eidos' problem was that they had several strong teams but no money or room to let said teams develop and prosper.
Isn't this premature? Especially after Kane & Lynch 2 bombed, and Just Cause 2 did (I think) decidedly so-so numbers.

Lime

StuBurns said:
Any word on if this is additional 2011 weight or 2012?

I think it was Christmas 2011, but there might be delays (Underworld got postponed and the final product even came across as unpolished).

StuBurns

Banned
Lime said:
I think it was Christmas 2011, but there might be delays (Underworld got postponed and the final product even came across as unpolished).
2011 wouldn't miss it I'm sure, but good either way I think.

FoneBone said:
Isn't this premature? Especially after Kane & Lynch 2 bombed, and Just Cause 2 did (I think) decidedly so-so numbers.

But they were also some of the most improved sequels I have seen all generation. Eidos have made huge advancements thanks to Square.

I'm willing to bet that Crystal Dynamics are in contact with Rocksteady, who are sharing the design ethics that made Arkham Asylum great.

charlequin said:

I'm happy that Eidos gets more support because they put out (now and in the past) games I really like. Plus they make excellent PC versions of their games these days.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
But they were also some of the most improved sequels I have seen all generation. Eidos have made huge advancements thanks to Square.

I'm willing to bet that Crystal Dynamics are in contact with Rocksteady, who are sharing the design ethics that made Arkham Asylum great.
Oh god, I'm already fantasizing about the two companies working together on an original IP. It would be GOTY material by default.

Stallion Free said:
Oh god, I'm already fantasizing about the two companies working together on an original IP. It would be GOTY material by default.

Forget a new IP. Get Hennig back from Naughty Dog and bring back Legacy of Kain.

Stallion Free said:
Based on Drake's dialogue in Uncharted 1/2, Amy has lost a lot of her touch.

lol two completely different games, the poetic dialogue in kain wouldnt fit uncharted, uncharteds dialogue is perfect for the game it is

Don't know if this is just me, but I much much prefer the first Lara in the OP, to the second, more beat-up one. The first pic is gorgeous (and my current wallpaper), but the second one just doesn't feel very Lara. Her jaw and chin-shape doesn't look as good IMO, and her mouth reminds me of 'dat ass'.

I'm not bitching btw, just constructive criticism. The whole thing seems wonderful, can't wait!

StuBurns

Banned
Itchy//Tasty said:
Don't know if this is just me, but I much much prefer the first Lara in the OP, to the second, more beat-up one. The first pic is gorgeous (and my current wallpaper), but the second one just doesn't feel very Lara. Her jaw and chin-shape doesn't look as good IMO, and her mouth reminds me of 'dat ass'.

I'm not bitching btw, just constructive criticism. The whole thing seems wonderful, can't wait!
It's unfortunate dirt that seems to draw her jaw line but if you look close, it actually ends further back in the same way as the clean image.

Alpha_eX

I dont' know why but it really looks like she's wearing a fake plastic nose, it kind of stands out from her face, it's not covered in mud at all. Same goes for her head and neck in another picture where her body is covered in it.

Game sounds alright, Tomb Raider meets AC, Metroid and Minecraft. I'm getting a Survival Kids wibe which I really like. A few screens and then a media black out for me, quite looking forward to this!

Elios83

Everything sounds pretty cool, a survival adventure is a nice change for the series and it seems they improved their graphic engine considerably (probably it's a new engine considering it's a open world game).
Looking forward to the gameplay footage.

Here's a nice comparison between this Lara and Underworld's Lara

lu2c7.jpg

Credit to Melonie Tomb Raider from TRC.

george_us

Sgt.Pepper said:
New one is much more appealing; the other one is too doll-like.
It's going to look doll-like one way or the other in-game so I don't know why people want a hyper-realistic Laura. From what I've seen of the scans, the in-game model is slightly above her Underworld model in terms of realism.

I really want to see this in motion though.

Darkkn

Looks amazing! This one goes straight to top3 most anticipated upcoming games for me.

Hopefully game is not as action packed and set-piece heavy as Uncharted. I really like the idea of exploring/platforming on this mysterious island, trying to stay alive and figure things out. Hopefully action is more of a palette cleanser, rather than core gameplay.

Underworld was actually really enjoyable, even if it was still using same old mechanics from previous games. Gorgeous environments, really made it feel like exploring proper forgotten ruins. Also, great opening level.

derFeef

george_us said:
It's going to look doll-like one way or the other in-game so I don't know why people want a hyper-realistic Laura. From what I've seen of the scans, the in-game model is slightly above her Underworld model in terms of realism.

You are a crazy man. And get that U out of her name :p

george_us said:

Maybe because her head is not so weird this time; I've never been a fan of Lara's design, but I'm a fan of her games; this new design appeals me way more than the others, and Underworld model was my favorite after this new one.

Darkkn said:
Looks amazing! This one goes straight to top3 most anticipated upcoming games for me.

Hopefully game is not as action packed and set-piece heavy as Uncharted. I really like the idea of exploring/platforming on this mysterious island, trying to stay alive and figure things out. Hopefully action is more of a palette cleanser, rather than core gameplay.

Underworld was actually really enjoyable, even if it was still using same old mechanics from previous games. Gorgeous environments, really made it feel like exploring proper forgotten ruins. Also, great opening level.

Agreed with every word here.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Here's a nice comparison between this Lara and Underworld's Lara

http://i.imgur.com/lu2c7.jpg[IMG]

Credit to Melonie Tomb Raider from TRC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah old Lara looks fucking awful, like a remnant from the PS1 ages.

george_us said:

The new model is a huge upgrade over Underworld's. The big reason why the Underworld model looks so fake is due to them still using the exaggerated features (big eyes and lips) that Lara had from the original TR. The new one looks much more realistic as far as those features go. It's obviously not going to look as realistic as those renders due to the system limitations, but it' still a big step up from Underworld.

Evolved1

You know... I've been thinking about that GI article and I'm pretty pissed. There were some massive fucking spoilers in that. I couldn't help myself, had to read it, and now those moments which would've been extremely cool in the game are ruined.

Media blackout starting right now. And boycott of game informer for the rest of my life.

I don't actually read gaming rags though, so this probably won't hurt them too much

george_us

SolidSnakex said:
The new model is a huge upgrade over Underworld's. The big reason why the Underworld model looks so fake is due to them still using the exaggerated features (big eyes and lips) that Lara had from the original TR. The new one looks much more realistic as far as those features go. It's obviously not going to look as realistic as those renders due to the system limitations, but it' still a big step up from Underworld.
Who gives a shit if it looks fake? Lara's model in Underworld was convincing enough for the world she inhabits. It's a video game in which the main character hunts for Avalon and relics that belonged to the God of Thunder while drop kicking panthers, impaling a huge Octopus, shooting enormous Spiders, and fighting the Demon Goddess Ruler of Atlantis. Why the fuck is realism a huge issue all of a sudden?

This new realism slant is honestly starting to worry me. Constantly feeding Snake in MGS3 was annoying as shit and it sounds like you'll have to constantly feed Lara as well. Oh well I know I'll at least give this a rent since Guardian of Light was amazing.:lol

Evolved1

george_us said:
Who gives a shit if it looks fake? Lara's model in Underworld was convincing enough for the world she inhabits. It's a video game in which the main character hunts for Avalon and relics that belonged to the God of Thunder while drop kicking panthers, impaling a huge Octopus shooting enormous Spiders, and fighting the Demon Goddess Ruler of Atlantis. Why the fuck is realism a huge issue all of a sudden?

Um... because realism is a central focus of the reboot?

Also... I don't think SSX was giving an opinion one way or another on realism, just responding to someone's comment that the models weren't very different, by pointing out the glaring differences.

.la1n

I was hyped again then someone just had to remind me of the stupid feed yourself mechanic didn't they?

Evolved1

.la1n said:
I was hyped again then someone just had to remind me of the stupid feed yourself mechanic didn't they?

There's a developer quote about that where they explain it's not forced on the player... iirc they describe it as a "bonus" for players naturally inclined to enjoy that type of thing. I think he said something like "you won't be roaming around picking bushes"... it's not Oblivion.

Top Bottom