• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect for a PS5 / NEXTBOX?

Mr.Fox

I personally think they learned the lesson not to try and chase Nintendo in the trends they create, so I don't think Sony or Microsoft will try to pull a handheld/home console hybrid to compete with the Switch. But what is the next step for them?

-True native 4k is the most obvious goal. (Microsoft is even arguable already there)

-Maybe a cryptocurrency mining engine to make online subscriptions free (or to even add up credits to the digital store wallet while you play), could be an interesting innovative feature, as long as it doesn't draws much more energy.

-Haptic feedback / HD Rumble / 3D Touch, are probably a bit obvious too.

-Maybe a high fidelity wireless VR will be a thing. Maybe Sony would even throw some extra high quality 3D audio tech and present their VR setup as their main (and superior) way to experience the new console.

-Microsoft will still use AA batteries on the controllers.

-Are the clouds finally gonna show their power?
Nope, still nothing meaningful.

-Will Sony pull a U$699 since they seem to be thinking they are the hot shit again?
Probably, with the VR stuff, but they will try to veil it by breaking the price down into parts.

-Microsoft fucked up their start in this gen with the "Sports and TV" stunt, will they take the next step and fuck up their next entry with E-Sports?
Yes.

-What range of Teraflops are we gonna be in? My guess is around 8~10.

-There still won't be a new Ape Escape game.
:(

-When? I think 2019.

Fbh

I just really hope for a better GPU and CPU balance.
I don't know a lot about hardware but what I get from most threads talking about it is that current consoles (the mid gen updates in particular) have decent GPU's but are often held back by a CPU bottleneck.

But as to what I expect. Honestly just an upgraded version of this gen. More TFLOPS, more focus on resolution and most games running at true native 4K.

svbarnard

Banned
I really cant see the PS5 coming out and only being 12TFLOPS cause thats just twice the power of the X1X, I could see the PS5 coming in at 14TFLOPS though. Doesn't the X1X have over 300 gigabytes of total memory bandwidth? Well then I'd say that next gen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth, thats right nextgen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth and I think any less wouldn't really be nextgen.

More interested in seeing where Nintendo Switch 2 goes. I think this thread is the perfect composite of where Nintendo goes for next gen... http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1457455

But if we’re talking PS5 and Nextbox, graphics are at the point of diminishing returns, I want wireless or wired 4k VR with a large field of view and with asymmetric games like the ones on PSVR and better VR controllers with Haptic feedback like you suggested more than anything.

The X is already 6TFs, so 12TF and atleast a Ryzen cpu are the bare minumum for next gen. That should provide ample power to bring 4K VR to the mainstream. Whoever does that first is going to breathe new life into gaming.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd like a big VR push from either Sony or MS (but not both).
Wireless headset at launch that can be bought in a bundle with the console. VR the 'best' way to play and all games support VR but you can still use the console on a TV if you wish.

Would be interesting if the Nintendo 'gimic' was portability, the Sony 'gimic' was VR and the MS 'gimic' was upgradable hardware and PC cross play. That way they each offer something unique.

Venuspower

I would not even be surprised if they are releasing two PS5 models at the same time.
One model for casual gamers for 399$. And one "premium" model for around 599$ -699$.

While PS3 had a good CPU the GPU sucked. The PS4 has a smillilar problem but this time the GPU is good and the CPU sucks. Therefore I would like to see a much better blance between these two components.

60 FPS would be really nice too. Should be easier with a stronger CPU. Besides that I hope they will add an optical disc drive that is able to read UHD discs.

Cerbero

Ryzen is a really solid option in the cpu department, as far as gpu goes... I don't know, it has to fit power and price requirements, is a 12Tflops in a 400-500$ box with a total of 200-ish watt total power draw doable for amd in 2019? Guees we have to wait for Navi to find out.

Mattyp

Gold Member
8 to 10Tf when the X is already 6? Don't see that at all think of the jumps we've had every time.. I think people are expecting consoles a lot earlier then they'll actually come, Expect Microsoft to launch stronger hardware regardless if it's earlier or later than the PS5 and not making the same mistakes twice.

Hopefully no return of arrogant Sony either.

Late 2020 earliest when chip sizes might be finally smaller and delivered by AMD and GPU power in form has seen a decent jump over the X and Pro.

cuate

Banned
The usual. More power. Don't see them innovating in any way.

Better CPU. The main limiting factor to producing better gameplay experiences.

Devs themselves, not hardware, are the main limiting factor in producing better gameplay experiences.

I really cant see the PS5 coming out and only being 12TFLOPS cause thats just twice the power of the X1X, I could see the PS5 coming in at 14TFLOPS though.

Graphically we are reaching the point of serious diminishing returns. Resolution bumps are driving most of the improvements and going beyond 4k makes little sense as far as marketing. Few people would pay $100+ premium just to have a slightly less blurry picture that is only really noticeable in blown up still shots. Twice the power of the X would be more than enough to mark off the graphics checkbox of the next generation of consoles.

The CPU, not GPU, is going to be the big distinction of the next generation. The PS5 might only look marginally better than the XB1 X, but it will be able to run games that the X simply can't. Open world games will become more like simulations of real systems and populated with more entities. Enemies won't stand around waiting for you to invade their little plot of land they hold dominion over. They'll plot to come after you and other AI opponents. They'll be given the ability to adapt to the player's playstyle so cheesy monotonous tactics would become less and less effective. Nemesis like systems will become more common. Quests will be adaptable, and be enabled or disabled based on the state of the world, and so on.

In conclusion, next generation games will be differentiated more by what they do than what they look like, and CPUs will drive that change.

Goalus

I expect NextBox to be more powerful than PS5. It will launch within 6 to 12 months after PS5 has launched. And it will be known beforehand that a NextBox that is stronger than PS5 is coming.

If Sony is going to launch 2019 I think the PS5 will be lucky to have 10 TFLOPS.

Sony's platform strategy will be interesting. I can't predict that. But I cannot wait for the day when they have to put their cards on the table. I suspect their system won't be as unified as Xbox currently is.

geordiemp

Ryzen CPU, 8 full cores, as fast as it can go.

8 TF is enough, dont care

60 FPS or great AI / lots of enemies at 30, both of which struggles / not possible on Jaguar.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know how possible that would be but i'd love it if PS5 had a portable version as well as a "Pro" version with higher specs.

Mr.Fox

More interested in seeing where Nintendo Switch 2 goes. Hopefully here... http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1457455

But if we're talking PS5 and Nextbox, graphics are at the point of diminishing returns, I want wireless or wired 4k VR with a large field of view and with asymmetric games like the ones on PSVR and better VR controllers with Haptic feedback like you suggested more than anything.

The X is already 6TFs, so 12TF and atleast a Ryzen cpu are the bare minumum for next gen. That should provide ample power to bring 4K VR to the mainstream. Whoever does that first is going to breathe new life into gaming.
8 to 10Tf when the X is already 6? Don't see that at all think of the jumps we've had every time.. I think people are expecting consoles a lot earlier then they'll actually come, Expect Microsoft to launch stronger hardware regardless if it's earlier or later than the PS5 and not making the same mistakes twice.

Hopefully no return of arrogant Sony either.

Late 2020 earliest when chip sizes might be finally smaller and delivered by AMD and GPU power in form has seen a decent jump over the X and Pro.

That's the thing, I don't think next gen will be too big of a leap in relation to these mid-gen refreshes, I was considering in there that the next consoles are coming in less than 2 years, and that neither manufacturer will want to sell at a loss or much higher price.

Klik

Is there any chance Sony/Microsoft will opt for Steam Controller type of touchscreen instead of thumbstick? I must say that steam controller feels way better and more accurate for playing fps than normal xbox/ps4 gamepad

Calibos

2020 at the earliest

CPU in both of these systems really needs to be closer to a 2018+ release at 2.8ghz or better. 8 core preferably.

PS5 first
14+ T-flops
1080ti level gpu
16-24gb ram
2tb storage ssd/hdd 1tb/1tb

1year later

Xbox
16-24 T-flops
1080ti ++ level gpu
16-32gb ram
SSD storage

Probably dreaming and the next xbox will be a streaming system for games with built in cable...please don't do this MS

As for features...I really just want more ease of use things. Faster downloads and install times. Use the cloud services even more...dedicated servers for all games(looking at you Activision). Continued backwards compatibility from MS and a new BC push from Sony.

Biggest thing though...CROSS PLAY for all games. Communities and games as a service seems to be a big focus right now and cross play will help these great communities grow and be stable longer.

Focus should remain on gamers and games only please.

Hairsplash

3.2 Ghz ryzen CPU, 2x the GPU “units” of the ps4pro... HBM2 memory.
(basically 2x the CPU “power” and 2x the shaders fir the GPU)
the ability to drive the “2.0” psvr headset (1920x1080 for each eye... or 3840x1080 at 120hz)
no less that 60hz 4K resolution...for games.
a SSD caching drive... (games are stored on the HDD, and played from the SSD)

...dream wish...
perhaps a modularity concept for the ps5... has two slots. one slot is standard... first slot is in effect a and is a ps4pro with a 3.2Ryzen... second slot holds the same ps4pro “cartridge” that would double the GPU power ... the standard unit would be 400 us, and the “now-you-are-playing-with-power” addin cartridge for 250 US... a way to make an awesome ps5 for 650 dollars but not actually charging 650 dollars at once... or 600 for the full fat version.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Well I don't think the consoles will come complete. You get a very base system with more powerful accessories purchased via a RNG loot box.

Cerbero

8k? Hmm no chance of that happening sir. It's gonna take at least 1-2 year more until 4k tv even become standard.
4K already hit the wall of diminishing returns, most games don't even need an AA solution at 4K, and the ones who do are fine with 4x MSAA, 5K and beyond are just a huge waste of performance in my (limited) experience.
Xbox next will play all prior xbox games at native 4k60! :))
That is very likely, a console with a Ryzen cpu with 8 cores at 3GHz+ paired with a 12tflops gpu should breeze through games like TW3 and FH3 at 4K60

Old Empire.

PS4 pro owner. I go with 2019. I think i am ready to upgrade around then. I

have a xbox one. I upgrade next year to the x. I don't mind if i see a better xbox 2021 or 2022.;

DESTROYA

I just want a fixed 60FPS for all games 1080p and 4K.
Games are there especially for Sony all we need is better performance with the same graphic fidelity.

120v

only thing i'm positive of is full ps4 BC. they'll definitely want a seamless transition from one of their most successful platforms

aside from some surprise features i'm pretty much expecting a PS4 2.0 ... no crazy rabbits being pulled out of the hat like 8k 60 fps or any of that stuff. pretty much a "standard console" for its time

Cryptocurrency mining? Hell no. They're already getting away with murder on making us pay for peer2peer multi-player and an online infrastructure that isn't competitive with other platforms on PC.

Cerbero

I just want a fixed 60FPS for all games 1080p and 4K.
Games are there especially for Sony all we need is better performance with the same graphic fidelity.
Sony will always push for better visuals over framerate, expect stunning looking exclusives capped at 30fps from them.

cuate

Banned
Sony will always push for better visuals over framerate, expect stunning looking exclusives capped at 30fps from them.

It's weird how a lot of their first party output on the ps2 ran at 60fps. They looked stunning too. Better than most 30fps titles. It's a shame they moved on from decent framerates.

Cerbero

It's weird how a lot of their first party output on the ps2 ran at 60fps. They looked stunning too. Better than most 30fps titles. It's a shame they moved on from decent framerates.
They were limited by the crt televisions back then, also the performance difference between consoles and pcs was huge at the time, for example Need For Speed Underground was 720x576 at 30fps on the ps2 while people on the pc could play at 1280x1024 (or even 1600x1200) at 60fps on something like a Pentium 4 with a 9700 Pro, it's way better on consoles these days.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I really cant see the PS5 coming out and only being 12TFLOPS cause thats just twice the power of the X1X, I could see the PS5 coming in at 14TFLOPS though. Doesn't the X1X have over 300 gigabytes of total memory bandwidth? Well then I'd say that next gen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth, thats right nextgen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth and I think any less wouldn't really be nextgen.

Doesn't matter, 350 is plenty. The problem is HDD speeds, you can't stream as fast as the RAM permits. So next gen consoles have to either use SSDs or they will suck. Of course SSDs mean they will be expensive. I expect $600 as the minimum, although a digital only SKU for $500 should be possible. But most of all noone is in a rush. Sony would rather ride this gen out with high profit SKUs, Microsoft now has the most powerful console. It really doesn't make sense for either one to rush into next gen, I expect nothing before late 2020/early 2021.

fred

More power and VR support with headsets and controllers included. I wouldn't expect wireless VR though, because if they go wireless the resolution and refresh rates of the displays will be a pile of old pants.

Ubername

Banned
8 TF is enough, dont care
How is anyone able to gauge how many TF is "enough"? Many games come out these days that are programmed by people who don't know what they're doing and who are going to overstep what the machine can reasonably do regardless of how high its throughput is. GTA4 still runs like ass on my modern gaming pc and it isn't an issue of how many numbers my system can crunch.

BreakAtmo

I really hope they don't insist on native 4K unless it's just an option. Checkerboard 4K at 60fps with better textures, lighting, etc would be a much better use of the power. Throw in a native 4K 30fps mode for marketing purposes, sure, but I feel like the advances the Pro and the One X have made in terms of checkerboard/temporal injection rendering and having multiple rendering modes should be pushed further.

geordiemp

How is anyone able to gauge how many TF is "enough"? Many games come out these days that are programmed by people who don't know what they're doing and who are going to overstep what the machine can reasonably do regardless of how high its throughput is. GTA4 still runs like ass on my modern gaming pc and it isn't an issue of how many numbers my system can crunch.

Because I have a Pro and an LG OLED and 1440p and above cant tell the difference at 8 ft.

Just want 60 FPS Ryzen high clock / 8 cores.

notacat

I'd want HDMI 2.1, with a variable refresh rate TV by then too. XB1X supports that already I think.

Ryzen mobile is barely just out, which i'd expect them to use if Sony and MS stick with x86. Guess i'll have to wait for reviews to see how that is.

If no dedicated video memory, i'd like to see a lot more memory in general like 32GB of HBM2+. If they could also run a GPU that's at least as good as a RX 64 that would be tops.

4K 30fps standard

High performance modes (unlocked/60fps/dynamic resolutions)

Full BC

Pro and X will be forward compatible for most titles, the first few years. Expect 30fps with dips and poor lod and other sacrifices on those versions.

Norse

2020 sony

Twice the power of the 1X gpu coupled with a cpu good enough to push 60fps on everything devs can throw at it.

2020 nextbox one

Pretty much the same as above but just a bit more powerful. MS has to be to compete with Sony.

Rinse and repeat every 4 yrs as BC will be the norm.

93xfan

Banned

A $500 6TFLOP machine just released this year. When do you expect an affordable 12TFLOP machine?

Toni

PS5

9 Teraflops GPU
Ryzen 3.0 - 3.8 Ghz CPU
4k Bluray
2 TB harddrive if feasible
20 GB of GDDR5 Ram
November 2020 release.

Specs should be more than able to appreciate 2k resolution and 60 fps as the standard.

Nextbox on the same ballpark procurring they dont let Sony take the hardware lead because of whatever add-on idea they have cooked up and opt for smaller specs.

Shin

Banned
HDR becoming mainstream, not exception.

Dynamic HDR as per HDMI 2.0/2.1 specification and VRR :), it should be mandatory.
Because if it's a native 4K machine then all games should have it by default IMO.
As people upgrade their TV's to HDR compatible ones they'll have an extra oomph out of their game.

PSVR 2.0 2560 x 1440 @ 90 FPS (less cluttering and PS5 build from the ground up to support it).

12+ TF with all the bells and whistles
4K/30 or 60 also with all the bells and whistles
Zen 3 16/8 at 3.5GHz
UHD drive (because I need a UHD player)
24GB GDDR6 @ 768 GB/s 384-bit bus
1TB HDD/SSHD to save cost

Premium model if possible (which would be the above) at $499,-

AmyS

12 teraflops is the lowest end I would expect from PS5's GPU. I expect between around 14 TFlops. Navi GPU architecture plus some features from Next Gen. Remember Navi was originally due at the end of 2018, but got pushed into 2019. AMD Next Gen GPU is due after 2020. If PS5 launched in Fall 2020, it could easily have some of the things going into AMD Next Gen GPU, given that PS4 Pro GPU was based mainly on Polaris, but had a couple of things from Vega, including double rate FP16.

Zen 2 CPU (if not Zen 3) with 8 physical cores / 16 threads. At least 3.0 GHz clock. Mobile variants shouldn't have problems reaching that with 7nm.

24GB to 32GB GDDR6 RAM - Speaking of GDDR6, it's shaping up to be faster than expected. Read this:

http://techreport.com/news/32821/samsung-teases-higher-than-expected-speeds-from-its-gddr6-ram
https://wccftech.com/samsung-gddr6-memory-16gb-announced/
http://www.pcgamer.com/samsungs-gddr6-memory-is-shaping-up-to-be-faster-than-expected/

Alternatively, HBM3 would offer lower power consumption and a smaller board, further reducing costs over time.

2TB HDD, plus a small SSD for fast cache/streaming into RAM.

I'd expect 4K 60fps to be the standard for the next generation, and for games to have fully customizable graphics options like PC titles.

VR will probably be a big selling point too, but as someone who doesn't care about it at all, I'm hoping it's not an integral/mandatory part of the new systems.

Also hard drive sizes will need to be increased substantially since (1) physical media will be on it's deathbed and (2) install sizes are growing with 4K assets as seen on the X1X.

Top Bottom