• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 80,000 units at launch in Spain, 3.5:1 ahead of XB1

http://www.meristation.com/playstation-3/noticias/ps4-vende-80-000-consolas-en-espana/61/1942209
80.000 PS4 sold in Spain and between 12.000-15.000 people still waiting his pre-ordered console.
3.5:1 ratio with XBox One.
Seemed like important news...

Full interview with James Armstrong (SCEE VP, CEO Spain+Portugal).

- PS4 has sold around 80.000 units to consumers (between 10.000 - 15.000 preorders haven't been fulfilled yet) as of December 9. That's between 3.1 and 3.4 times more than Xbox One.

- This week they have shipped 60.000 more units and they believe that any consumer will be able to find one. They expect to send a similar additional shipment before Christmas.

- With enough stock, PS4 may exceed 200.000 units sold by Reyes (6th of January).

- Last week PS Vita sold 7.000 units.

Kosma

Banned
I expected a bigger difference, but I guess they just didn't have more consoles ready.

Is the Xbone in stock?

Sakura

It's rather surprising to me how few consoles are sold per capita in Europe relative to North America.

1204099-bueno_excelente_signature.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
About in line with my expectations.

I'm predicting a 3:1 ratio for sales outside the US / UK, and a 3:2 ratio for those in these territories.

At least until something game-changing happens.

NeoGash

Ouch. They deserve at least that ratio given their pro consumer approach which can't really be faulted at this point. Man, imagine when Driveclub and Infamous come out? The console will sell out again.

If things continue like that I think we'll see something like a 3:1 ratio for the PS4 in Europe. I don't think MS has any chances to do as good as the 360 did.

Jack cw

Nice to see this. But Spain is traditionally more towards Sony. Still great to see that even with economical problems there is a market and people buy those consoles. I also think that Microsoft are going to lose even more marketshare all around EU, now that UK has been reclaimed by Sony.

Acidote

As anecdotal evidence, there's a much bigger difference in my town so 3.5:1 looks like a plausible ratio. It will be bigger once PS4 is again in stock as it is sold out everywhere. I can see a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio in the near future.

And asking the question, yes, there's Xbox One stock everywhere.

PaulLFC

And that isn't even the highest ratio.
What/where is the highest? Italy? I notice their software charts were dominated by PS4 games this week.

Yep but I expected a bigger difference between PS4 and X1.
They can't achieve a bigger difference if they sell every console they make. There's still 12-15k preorders un-fulfilled according to the article, so if they'd produced enough the ratio would have been higher.

Damian.

Banned
Ratio of smart to dumb people is 3.5:1

There may be hope for civilization after all. I thought there were more dumb people than that!

EU is still pretty strong on the PC side. Home computers made a big splash here in the day, and many people still equal serious gaming with PC gaming.

Note: may contain traces of gross generalisations.

Spain is a tiny market compared to the UK it seems.

Does the UK still have the highest per capita sales? I know it was ahead of North America.

Kosma

Banned
It's rather surprising to me how few consoles are sold per capita in Europe relative to North America.

In UK it was higher then in the US, and Spain has an unemployment rate of 25%.

Even with this unemployment rate they manage a 1-587 ratio.
North America had what? 1-350?

I think the Spanish ratio is amazing considering the country is in shambles.

Peff

You guys realize that there were 500k consoles for all of Europe and Australia minus the UK, right? You can only sell as many consoles as you have made.

what? believe me, here in Spain people are always like crazy for a PS console, no matter what situation we may be living. Spain is well known for being Sonyland. and btw, we're not in shambles.

so, shocking news

Sakura

Sorry I more meant mainland Europe, I know the UK is stronger. How the hell does Spain survive with such a high unemployment rate.

Kosma

Banned
what? believe me, here in Spain people are always like crazy for a PS console, no matter what situation we may be living. Spain is well known for being Sonyland. and btw, we're not in shambles.

so, shocking news

What are you argueing really? I said the ratio is really good for a country in shambles.

Since when is Spain not in shambles?

Sorry I more meant mainland Europe, I know the UK is stronger. How the hell does Spain survive with such a high unemployment rate.

Money from Northern Europe, emigration is also huge at the moment.

Yeah consoles aren't as popular it seems as in the US, maybe because it has traditionally been more PC oriented.

Top Bottom