• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 09:

5jf4Th.jpg

Yayoi is a tokusatsu fan? So meta considering the block Precure airs in.

As expected, cajun is going to need a defibrillator on hand for this episode. It was the simple story of a prank that gets way out of hand, and yet it was so much more.

Really, this is all that anyone needs to know about the episode.

Yayoi's mom was the most evil prankster of all, though. Getting called down for a
pancake breakfast
when it's just a lie? That's pretty damned low.

Also, there's a smaller, cuter Yayoi that lives inside Yayoi's head. There's not a lot going on in her brain at any particular time, but at least she exclusively thinks adorable thoughts.

Looks like we get tomboy moe next week.

Cwarrior

Toonami wasn't as relevant in Mexico because most of the shows they aired were re-runs of stuff we had already seen on public telly. So meh.

Same here, anime aired on french public telly TF1(Le Club Dorothée live show) then it when to have it's own dedicated anime channel called "mangas" on weekends it would show anime 24/7, some times I would try my best to stay up for fist of the north star marathon and city hunter, plus 0 censoring.

Fucking hell. Oreimo is getting a second season? Well maybe they'll change it completely from the novels and make it about Sena and her brother. Right? Right?
;_;

Edit: Wait Cartoon Network did a Toonami night last night? Fuck why did I go watch a Game of Thrones marathon with my friends? WHY?!

Narag

Giant Robo Ginrei OAVs

Never caught these back in the dya and tonight seemed like a good chance to check them out.

Man,
I was wondering why Ginrei looked alittle manly in the second shower sihlouette then bam, Alberto.
First episode was rather fanservicey and silly. The torture scene coupled with scenes from the main OAV series felt out of place but the first half made me wistful for soemthing a little more slice of life in regards to the characters rather than the typical bombast that the show made a trademark.

Seconed ep starts off all weird. Daisaku's proclamation of age and paternity, his resignation letter, and the urinal scene was funny. Getter Robo nod was awesome too. Pretty good parody all told.

Boy do I miss shots like these. said:
Silliness abounds. said:

Third OAV started out with a love letter to Sergio Leone that was amazing, awesome, and amazingly
awesome.

Then it turned into something stupid about Tetsugyu and Ginrei looking for a research team that wasn't a Leone western and I lost all interest. I don't want to proclaim it as bad but it wasn't really what I was looking for so it didn't grab me. Watching them back to back like I did might have colored my perception a bit as the tone of the first two is nothing like the third which makes sense given their release schedule.

I'd wanted to watch these for years and aside from the second OAV, I'm a little disappointed in them as a whole.

cajunator

Banned

OMG DOG DAYS <3

Ore Imo second season? YES! I loved the first season, hate the haters, it was awesome. The game was good too.

nknbz.gif

Kuroneko <3

The ONLY reason to want more Oreimo.

It's not that hard to say "That nekomimi is appealing and delightful. My heart feels as if I'm going to suffer a myocardial infarction due to its charm."

This could work, but its too proper :(

One of my first formative memories was watching Jupiter Jazz, Part I, in a chair at 11 o'clock at night while my parents were having a dinner party with all the adults in another room. I can't even remember if it was Toonami to be perfectly honest, it might have just been Adult Swim, but I definitely have amazing after-school memories of Zoids and DBZ.

Jupiter Jazz is still one of my favorite episodes of cowboy Bebop. Amazing episode throughout with a fantastic ending. It is everything right about the show.

Madoka OT has a lot of posts too, it's still awful.

INCORRECT. TRY AGAIN.

Worryingly, I've seen it used outside the anime and manga threads. It's influence is spreading. The English language must be saved.

I saw it being used to describe cars. I like this development.

Wow.. They didn't subtitle the extra material? That is incredibly disappointing.. One less reason to spend the money for the box.

Yeah it sucks but its FAR from dealbreaking!

Smile Precure 9

ibjDVya4B2YZlD.jpg

That was a fun episode. I feel like I have learned a lesson about lying to people.

Damn, dat hype.

Oh. Oh my GOD. I-I don't know if I can watch this and not die.

Joule

Giant Robo Ginrei OAVs

I'd wanted to watch these for years and aside from the second OAV, I'm a little disappointed in them as a whole.
I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit. A funny supplement to the series. The third was kinda meh certainly. Honestly the real disappointment is that it isn't more Giant Robo story (either the stuff prior to the series or a continuation of it).

I watched these right after the series so I didn't have too much expectation for them.

cajunator

Banned
I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit. A funny supplement to the series. The third was kinda meh certainly. Honestly the real disappointment is that it isn't more Giant Robo story (either the stuff prior to the series or a continuation of it).

I watched these right after the series so I didn't have too much expectation for them.

I haven't seen any of Giant Robo, but Ginrei is a VERY convincing reason to remedy this.
VKp5B.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I haven't seen any of Giant Robo, but Ginrei is a VERY convincing reason to remedy this.
VKp5B.jpg

It's a great show. It's 7 episodes long, but those episodes are around 15 minutes so it's more like watching a 14 episode TV show. Well worth it. ^_^

Narag

I thiink it might have been a "you had to be there" thing taking what one could get between OAV releases for me to appreciate them more.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Space Bros. 01:

Wow, that was incredibly solid. I can tell that I'm going to be drawn into this by the humanity of the characters, which I suppose I can attribute to the fact that this is a "mainstream" production mostly free of the otaku tropes that average viewers would find repulsive. If educational elements were what it took to get more anime that aren't afraid to depict adulthood and human character realistically, I would watch regardless of subject matter.

I wonder how much the show is going to switch between the present and the past. Mutta's already stated that his desire to become an astronaut comes from his belief that the older brother should always be ahead of the younger brother, but I'd like to see more exploration into his underlying fascination with science and astronomy. Mutta and Hibito were both established as very science-minded children, and I'm curious to know if their experience with
the "UFO"
altered their attitudes toward science, discovery, or even their outlook on life in general.

The fact that Hibito has a different motivation for visiting the Moon than the other astronauts in the mission will hopefully result in some interesting discourses on scientific discovery throughout the show, especially if Mutta successfully becomes an astronaut and it's discovered that he experienced the same thing causing the media to cast doubt on Hibito's fitness to venture into space.

This show makes me sad that American politicians no longer give a fuck about NASA and we won't be seeing this kind of advancement in space exploration by 2025.

Solune

Jex

Giant Robo Ginrei OAVs

Never caught these back in the dya and tonight seemed like a good chance to check them out[...]I'd wanted to watch these for years and aside from the second OAV, I'm a little disappointed in them as a whole.

That's what you get for having hope. I've never watched them myself, but that's because I've never read anything positive about them.

Ultimadrago

The Legend of Koizumi (3 OVAS)

*Two thumbs up*

Unknown Soldier and cosmic, you two did not disappoint.
This was a very good kind of crazy.

I might take a peek at the manga now, or take a look at Saki (that has super specials too, right?...RIGHT?!)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

*Two thumbs up*

I might take a peek at the manga now, or take a look at Saki (that has super specials too, right?...RIGHT?!)

Manga, definitely.

*Two thumbs up*

Read the manga. Shit gets cray cray.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Bros 01
There's a lot to like here. Storytelling is both concise and deliberate, characters are likeable, the show is expressive both with its art and its cuts/editing. I'm pretty into it, really looking forward to seeing more. A lot of the charm comes from the internal monologue, so I'm hoping the show will have success fleshing out characters who aren't able to do that.

Xena

Just watched Saint Seiya Omega ep1... oh, what are they doing with my favorite anime series? I miss Shingo Araki already. May he rest in peace.
Will continue to watch because SS was an important part of my childhood.

Jex

[Wandering Son - 11 Complete Whatever]

Yes, I know that I'm hilariously late-tot-the-party regarding this particular episode, but I don't care. It's nice to return to this series after a long absence and delve into some material fairly serious material that was never aired.

It was, overall, a very good episode. It's actually made it hard to go and watch some other character driven anime afterwards because the writing of the characters in this show is above and beyond what most shows have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom