• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS or android apps that do their job extremely well

I'll second Microsoft launcher on Android

It's basically the same as a regular launcher except it scrolls vertically and you get a new Bing wallpaper everyday.

I really pretty much just use it for the automatic daily wallpaper.

reKon

Banned
Still not sure what pocket casts does that's so significantly better than some of the free podcast apps I've used. I feel like things have changed a lot over time here from how it used to be.

emag

The Microsoft Launcher on the app store doesn't use Live Tiles. It just has supreme Office 365 and Outlook integration with a nice MS/Windows feel and look.

That's my point. The primary component of the Win8/WP look and feel was the Live Tiles, which the Android launchers entirely lack. I'd love to see Microsoft bring real Live Tiles to Android, even if there's only support for Outlook, Skype, and other MS products at first.

oipic

Still not sure what pocket casts does that's so significantly better than some of the free podcast apps I've used. I feel like things have changed a lot over time here from how it used to be.

I've been on the verge of buying Pocket Casts several times, but have ultimately found it hard to justify - I'm not sure it's head and shoulders above the free Podcast Addict app that I'm using now, which aside from being ad-supported, otherwise appears to have a similar feature set to Pocket Casts.

Anyone used the two and able to compare?

mstevens

So far I've downloaded fantastical 2, anylist, adguard, and spark. I really like them! I'm going to try sleep cycle tonight. Any recommendations on settings?

I'll probably take a look at more recommendations as they come in. Great lists so far. I have "Things" on my radar as well.

Future

For Apple Watch users I’d recommend Autosleep. If you wear the watch to sleep it will read the gyro and heart data automatically and fill in some data on how you sleep. Interesting to see when it thinks you’ve entered deep sleep based on your movement, and it feels pretty accurate for when it first detects you are sleeping and when you wake

Nothing too fancy, but these are my favorites (I'm excluding Google's stuff, which I probably use the most, but I feel like everyone is already familiar enough with these). Some of these require root.

Adguard - This is an adblocker that still works. Adfree Android stopped working at Nougat.
AllCast - Cast any file that's on your device to your Chromecast. Like, if you download a TV show or something, you can cast it.
Amazon Kindle - I haven't used a hardware Kindle since the Kindle 2, since this works so well.
Arkanoid vs Space Invaders - I just wanted to recommend this game.
Authy - It works like Google Authenticator but is better because you can cloud backup your codes and access them from multiple devices.
Barcode Scanner - Unobtrusive, simple.
Buycott - You sign up for the causes you want to support and then you can scan barcodes on items, and it'll tell you if you should avoid buying them. It helps for avoiding Koch and Nestle products, since they are very hard to completely avoid.
FlashFire (needs root) - You need this if you're rooted and want to install OTA updates. That's basically what it does.
handyCalc - Hands down the best calculator app I've used.
Laser Level - Simple level tool.
LastPass - Set complex passwords that you don't need to memorize.
Netflix - Works well.
Nova Launcher - This is the best launcher. I like that you can export and import you settings to new devices.
OneNote - I use OneNote on my Surface Pro, so this syncs it
Official TWRP App (needs unlocked bootloader) - This lets you easily update TWRP without having to manually flash it.
Plex - Stream videos from your library.
Pocket Casts - This is my favorite podcast app. Others are probably decent, but I like the flexibility and cloud sync capabilities.
QuickPic - I like this better than Photos; it's faster, and the UX feels more intuitive.
Root Explorer - This is a good file explorer.
Signal - Encrypted SMS.
Titanium Backup Pro (needs root) - This isn't quite as necessary these days, but it's nice to backup and restore your apps and app data (including sideloaded apps that Google won't transfer) between devices and/or wipes. Like, when I did the transfer from my Nexus 6P to my Pixel XL, a ton of apps failed to transfer. Titanium Backup easily restored them, as well as their settings.
Wifi Analyzer - I use this once in a while to see what Wifi access points are around, and which ones have the best signal.

Cipherr

Google Voice is definitely the best for visual voicemail. Screw all that carrier bullshit. That's not included as bloatware on iPhones, right?

Mile for mile yeah Google Voice. Can receive and make calls over wifi at no cost. Visual voicemail. A second number that pair with your real number. I can pick and choose which number I want to give a person and both numbers ring the same phone. Receive and make calls from my PC with a usb headset on while gaming in the middle of the day. Send receive texts and sms from my pc. And the shit keeps working uninterrupted even if I cancel my cell service completely. Im still able to make and receive calls texts and everything regardless, all over the internet.

A really ridiculous service that should cost something. Anything... But just doesn't.

Second for me would be Tiny Scanner and it has a Fax app that I believe pairs with it. I work from home and its just amazing scanning and faxing so much stuff weekly and not bothering to own a fax machine or a scanner. Just snap photos for scans and send them out.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
All I have to contribute is votes for Tiny Scanner and Power Amp.

Power Amp handles playlist so good. Even just using the mp3s in a folder works well.

Also WiFi Analyzer.

Inbox by Google
I try other apps but always come back to Inbox. I wish it would bring it's controls to the bottom of the screen for easier reachability but I just love the way it works with email enough that I can look past that issue.
Each email is something that needs to be acted on. If I'm done with it, it's Done. If I'm gonna do something with it later, snooze it for later. It's reasonably good at guessing when the email will be relevant too, and for example when I go to snooze an email with a cinema ticket it will offer to snooze until an hour before the movie.

Pocket Casts
It's possible I'm a bit influenced by the fact the app is made by a developer in my city, but I've found Pocket Casts to be the best way of managing podcasts on iOS. I enjoyed Overcast when it came out but I came to appreciate Pocket Casts more mainly because it has the Up Next feature.

Fantastical
I like the schedule view in the app, and how it integrates with iOS reminders. It's widget is super useful since it'll show both events and reminders that are relevant to today.

1Password
I've been using 1Password for years across iOS, Mac and Windows. I would struggle to use devices without it, since it stores all of my passwords (which are randomly generated), software licenses and important private notes all behind a Master Password and/or fingerprint.

Kadin

Are you sick of music apps that want you to use their online music services and make it more annoying to use your local music with each update? Grab JVC smart music control now. No online functionality at all, just an easy way to pay music already on your phone.

Just make sure to force quit it if you want to use retroarch. The two do NOT like each other.
Why does this app need access to just about everything on my phone?

Javaman

I live in a pretty shitty neighborhood so scanner radio is my pick. Whenever I hear loud pops outside I can hop on that to listen to the cops to see if it's guns or fireworks.

Nova Launcher is absolutely amazing, even if all you want to do is increase your icon rows/columns on the home screen or app drawer.

I thought textra was garbage. I would always receive broken texts and made conversations with people really annoying.

Had really great features but that wasn’t enough to get me to keep using it when I had android

Mile for mile yeah Google Voice. Can receive and make calls over wifi at no cost. Visual voicemail. A second number that pair with your real number. I can pick and choose which number I want to give a person and both numbers ring the same phone. Receive and make calls from my PC with a usb headset on while gaming in the middle of the day. Send receive texts and sms from my pc. And the shit keeps working uninterrupted even if I cancel my cell service completely. Im still able to make and receive calls texts and everything regardless, all over the internet.

A really ridiculous service that should cost something. Anything... But just doesn't.

Your information is more valuable than a $5 purchase.

redlegs87

Second for me would be Tiny Scanner and it has a Fax app that I believe pairs with it. I work from home and its just amazing scanning and faxing so much stuff weekly and not bothering to own a fax machine or a scanner. Just snap photos for scans and send them out.

Yeah Google voice gets my vote. The current service I'm on doesn't have visual voicemail so I just forward calls that go to voicemail to my voice number to get it.

batrush

Lists/to-do app: Things 3

Have it on my phone, watch, ipad. Clean UI and beautiful in motion. Pricey but 100% worth it.

iOS/Mac only

Would be nice if you guys (including OP) mentioned which platform/OS are these apps are for. As the same app that works great on android, may not perform as well or even be the best one on iOS.

Sorry: to also contribute to the thread.

I like Spark (iOS) to manage multiple email accounts. It's very simple and easy to have all your secondary email accounts at one place.

Also Wunderlist (iOS) is (was) great ... but of course I hear Microsoft bought them and is now dissolving them soon? So far it still works and it's one of my most used and useful To do -List apps

KnowOne

Neo Member
Now that instagram allows portrait shaped pictures, are their any apps that make portrait shaped collages? All the ones I have found only make the square.

Fledz

Never heard of it, but this looks nice. Do you know if it requires an Instagram account to use? I don't have one and don't want to sign up.

It doesn't ask me to login and I can't see an option to logout on Android. It's free so download it and give it a shot.

Nothing too fancy, but these are my favorites (I'm excluding Google's stuff, which I probably use the most, but I feel like everyone is already familiar enough with these). Some of these require root.

Adguard - This is an adblocker that still works. Adfree Android stopped working at Nougat.
AllCast - Cast any file that's on your device to your Chromecast. Like, if you download a TV show or something, you can cast it.
Amazon Kindle - I haven't used a hardware Kindle since the Kindle 2, since this works so well.
Arkanoid vs Space Invaders - I just wanted to recommend this game.
Authy - It works like Google Authenticator but is better because you can cloud backup your codes and access them from multiple devices.
Barcode Scanner - Unobtrusive, simple.
Buycott - You sign up for the causes you want to support and then you can scan barcodes on items, and it'll tell you if you should avoid buying them. It helps for avoiding Koch and Nestle products, since they are very hard to completely avoid.
FlashFire (needs root) - You need this if you're rooted and want to install OTA updates. That's basically what it does.
handyCalc - Hands down the best calculator app I've used.
Laser Level - Simple level tool.
LastPass - Set complex passwords that you don't need to memorize.
Netflix - Works well.
Nova Launcher - This is the best launcher. I like that you can export and import you settings to new devices.
OneNote - I use OneNote on my Surface Pro, so this syncs it
Official TWRP App (needs unlocked bootloader) - This lets you easily update TWRP without having to manually flash it.
Plex - Stream videos from your library.
Pocket Casts - This is my favorite podcast app. Others are probably decent, but I like the flexibility and cloud sync capabilities.
QuickPic - I like this better than Photos; it's faster, and the UX feels more intuitive.
Root Explorer - This is a good file explorer.
Signal - Encrypted SMS.
Titanium Backup Pro (needs root) - This isn't quite as necessary these days, but it's nice to backup and restore your apps and app data (including sideloaded apps that Google won't transfer) between devices and/or wipes. Like, when I did the transfer from my Nexus 6P to my Pixel XL, a ton of apps failed to transfer. Titanium Backup easily restored them, as well as their settings.
Wifi Analyzer - I use this once in a while to see what Wifi access points are around, and which ones have the best signal.

I was just about to post this almost exact list since I've moved away from Google Services almost entirely. I would recommend downloading an earlier version of QuickPic though (or Gallery off F-Droid).
https://fossdroid.com/a/simple-gallery.html

Also I'd replace Adguard with AdAway (rooted)/DNS66 (non-rooted) both found on F-Droid
https://fossdroid.com/a/dns66.html
https://fossdroid.com/a/adaway.html

Deus Ex/Tomb Raider/HitmanGO are a must. Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run are fantastic mobile games too.

black_13

Banned
Does anyone know of a decent fitness log tracker? And I mean one where you can track weight and reps of the exercises that you do.

For Apple Watch users I’d recommend Autosleep. If you wear the watch to sleep it will read the gyro and heart data automatically and fill in some data on how you sleep. Interesting to see when it thinks you’ve entered deep sleep based on your movement, and it feels pretty accurate for when it first detects you are sleeping and when you wake

When are you supposed to charge it if you use it during the day??

Maps.Me - Need offline maps? No better app than this
Poweramp - Best music player hands down
F-Stop - Photo album
Office Lens - Document scanner

Blam

This thread has some good selections. I'd like to mention GBoard if people already aren't using this keyboard. Tasker, and pushbullet.

Challenge yourself to keep your apps to a bare minimum

Brave - data saving browser blocking ads, trackers and scripts
Master Password - calculates your per-service passwords on demand
Signal - private end-to-end encrypted text messages, voice and video calls

All open source and cross-platform between Android, iOS, Linux, macOS & Windows

kingbean

I use only a few apps and most of them kinda suck.

Audible works okay but doesn't always track my latest purchases. Podcast addict keeps screwing up my premium podcasts and wastes battery like crazy.

The only thing that works without any issue is a coin toss app I use when people can't figure out what to do.

That being said I barely use my phone to the fullest extent. The only reason I have a high end Galaxy s8 is because I work for a datacomms company and a part of that is cellular. So we get free phones with unlimited data.

womfalcs3

Banned
I've been on a kick recently about owning things "on purpose". Whether it is a nice pair of boots, a kitchenaid mixer I got for my fiance, or anything else that will last pretty much forever, I want to be more selective about the things that exist inside my living space.

I think this philosophy could translate into the digital world as well. I tend to download lots of apps, some of which stick and some of which just rot away, and I'd like to sort of cultivate a premium vibe on my iPhone, sticking with apps that do something I specifically need and do their job damn well.

Some recommendations I'd make to start things off:

Simplenote - Very clean interface and an easy way to keep track of different lists without any clutter what-so-ever
Overcast - This is a podcast app that, again, has a very clean UI here. My favorite feature is called "Smart speed" which shortens any dead time so that it still sounds natural. It keeps track of how much time you've saved by doing that (not even counting speeding up the podcasts) and I've saved 31 hours so far.
Tiny Scanner - This thing was a life saver when I've had to upload family photos or documents for work. It works incredibly well.
Charity miles - Any time you go for a run or bike ride, just turn on this app and it will donate a specific amount to a charity of your choice depending on how far you go. It reminds me of Jump Rope for Heart when I was a kid.

What apps do you think really deliver on their promise? What apps would you recommend to almost anyone?

Tried Tiny Scanner and it is beyond awful. CamScanner is way way better, and free.

Top Bottom