• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League apparently stinks, because of course

Bleepey

Another problem i have with this movie is how they treat Superman death as the death of "your friendly neighbor Spideman!" which is not how the previous films set him up to be.

There is a montage where everybody in metropolis is hopeless like "our hero is dead! who is gonna stop the bank robbers,drug dealers,etc..." but he was never that guy. He fucking destroyed the city in the first movie.

I like how people pretend that BVS didn't portray Superman as divisive. Also, 99% of the damage was Zod.

Flux

At least this is the last of Zach Snyders influenza. The rest of the lineup has new directors and production that he has not touched.

Another problem i have with this movie is how they treat Superman death as the death of "your friendly neighbor Spideman!" which is not how the previous films set him up to be.

There is a montage where everybody in metropolis is hopeless like "our hero is dead! who is gonna stop the bank robbers,drug dealers,etc..." but he was never that guy. He fucking destroyed the city in the first movie.

didn't he save the entire planet from being terraformed?

tkscz

I don't get the hate. Really, I don't get the hate. This film didn't really do anything to get that much hate. It wasn't amaze balls, but it was fun. I don't get the disjointed story comments. It wasn't like BvS where it had multiple stories or SS where the story was messed up by bad editing. It had one story and told it. It stuck with it's characters, it knew where it was headed and headed that way. Some of it was silly and I expect things to go different was, but all in all, it was good and I had fun.

jadedm17

I liked it better than I did the new Thor, which is a comedy.

The main thing I didn’t like about JL was basically the crappy CGI. The CGI wouldn’t wow people in the 1970s, let alone now. Crappenwolf looked so horrible and don’t get me started on Cyborg.

But CGI aside, I liked the film. A certain character was brought back
earlier than I expected
and Wonder Woman is a bad ass. Barry had me cracking up. He starts running east and says “I hope this is East” — hilarious.

Thank goodness idc what vanity or any movie reviewer says. If I want to waste my money, I will. Opinions opinions
Of course, that's the point, it's your money : The problem becomes supporting this trash - or even mediocrity - means we won't get good films.

Why watch this for $10 over Batman Begins, Dark Knight or any other superhero movie again? Spiderman 2, X2, Captain America 2... Cheaper and a better spent two hours.

I paid for Suicide Squad which was an incoherent mess so I'm not innocent.

I don't get the hate. Really, I don't get the hate. This film didn't really do anything to get that much hate. It wasn't amaze balls, but it was fun. I don't get the disjointed story comments. It wasn't like BvS where it had multiple stories or SS where the story was messed up by bad editing. It had one story and told it. It stuck with it's characters, it knew where it was headed and headed that way. Some of it was silly and I expect things to go different was, but all in all, it was good and I had fun.

It's 2017 and the bar is too high. The question right now isn't if it's fun but is it $10 of fun? Everything has a price to me. This culmination of superheros should be far more than "I had fun".

What is JL doing to warrant a viewing now over a $2 Redbox later? IMHO nothing.

Dunki

Nope it's 10000% proof that different people want different things from movies, and like different things in movies.
Also 300 critic's is a smaller sample vs the millions that are seeing it.
I still say if you want to see it, go for it and make your own mind up.

But these critics are responsible for the score. Most of these critics rather go for politics than watching the movie. They go for diversity they go how many white people are in the movie and then depending on it score it. Why do you think the new Ghostbusters movie got such a high rating? Why do you think Wonder Woman which was a good movie got such a huge rating? It was not because of the movie itself but rather because it of the political message and I think that's wrong.

Games journalism is almost the same. Example how anyone boycotted a Hat in Time which was a really good game but was stigmatized because Johntron who I couldn't care less of had like 3 lines in this game.

Paracelsus

But these critics are responsible for the score. Most of these critics rather go for politics than watching the movie. They go for diversity they go how many white people are in the movie and then depending on it score it. Why do you think the new Ghostbusters movie got such a high rating? Why do you think Wonder Woman which was a good movie got such a huge rating? It was not because of the movie itself but rather because it of the political message and I think that's wrong.

Games journalism is almost the same. Example how anyone boycotted a Hat in Time which was a really good game but was stigmatized because Johntron who I couldn't care less of had like 3 lines in this game.

Ok, since you insist: tons and tons of 10s for JL on IMBD were there maybe even before the movie aired. If those were genuine they'd be 7, 8? 8 and a half? Not a whole bunch of 10s that would pile up in the tens of thousands after a day, more than other Marvel movies amounted as LTD. It goes both ways, shills take both sides.

PudieRSC

Just saw the movie a couple of hours ago, and i agree with you. It is a really fun movie, that doesn’t takes itself seriously, unlike Batman vs Superman. It can't be compared with Marvel movies, but it is at least decent.

Sure it can, and it's better than at least half of them. Even lightening up there's some big difference between the two, but we can still compare them. The biggest complaint a lot of people seem to have is the villain, but he's no worse than basically every Marvel villain except Loki. But this is still better than the first 2 Thor movies.

It's 2017 and the bar is too high. The question right now isn't if it's fun but is it $10 of fun? Everything has a price to me. This culmination of superheros should be far more than "I had fun".

It's $10.....

longdi

Banned
Supes seems OP af.

I found it inconsistent how stevenwolf got his ass handed so easily, no lotr battle like his first encounter. Typical superhero movies troupe i guess.

Way better than BvS, this one felt more like AoU in pacing and all, didn't see Joss name in the credits though

Way better than BvS. I enjoyed it for what it is. A fun superhero movie with all my favorite heroes kicking ass. Wish it was longer and more focused but it is what is.

I don't get the hate it's getting from critics. I think the critics are off with this one.

PS: I like Superman being OP. After getting his ass handed to him in the last movie, it was nice seeing him kick some ass in this one.

Dunki

Ok, since you insist: tons and tons of 10s for JL on IMBD were there maybe even before the movie aired. If those were genuine they'd be 7, 8? 8 and a half? Not a whole bunch of 10s that would pile up in the tens of thousands after a day, more than other Marvel movies amounted as LTD. It goes both ways, shills take both sides.

But even these troll attempts actually balance it out. With critics it does not. Thats the problem. I am not arguing that this movie is the best but when there is such a huge difference between "critics" and normal audience then there has to be a disconnect here.

Critic reviews actually should inform the customer about a products not critics trying to steer movies or media in a certain direction. And lets not forget that stuff like rotten tomatoes means something for the reputation. Not as much as metacritic for games which even stated in developer contracts for games but still these critics can decide of the success or failure of a movie

People talk about disconnect between critics and audience but I don't really get why people will continuously read output by critics who are speaking for an audience they are not a part of. (I assume the people who really like Justice League are fairly invested in the comic books and cinematic universe while a lot of critics probably aren't. There's nothing wrong with that)

If you can find a critic who's own views on films are near enough in line with your own then it's useful to use him/her to inform what you go to see. There's such a broad spectrum of different voices out there now anyway. You don't need to just read the Chicago Sun Times or Mark Kermode on BBC or whatever. That these voices aren't supporting the film doesn't matter, they're speaking to a different audience.

I really don't understand the stuff mentioned about politics. Like no movie is politically neutral. Well maybe Bad Moms Christmas is or something, I don't know. But even these Marvel and DC films seem to be quite heavy on the 9-11 imagery. They're not totally vacuous.

Dunki

People talk about disconnect between critics and audience but I don't really get why people will continuously read output by critics who are speaking for an audience they are not a part of. (I assume the people who really like Justice League are fairly invested in the comic books and cinematic universe while a lot of critics probably aren't. There's nothing wrong with that)

If you can find a critic who's own views on films are near enough in line with your own then it's useful to use him/her to inform what you go to see. There's such a broad spectrum of different voices out there now anyway. You don't need to just read the Chicago Sun Times or Mark Kermode on BBC or whatever. That these voices aren't supporting the film doesn't matter, they're speaking to a different audience.

I really don't understand the stuff mentioned about politics. Like no movie is politically neutral. Well maybe Bad Moms Christmas is or something, I don't know. But even these Marvel and DC films seem to be quite heavy on the 9-11 imagery. They're not totally vacuous.

1. No one is arguing movies should not political. I am arguing that your own plotics or ideologies as reviewer should not matter at all.

2. Yes you can ignore these people which I do but again they decide of the fate of movies or games. See "A Hat in Time""

3. If you want your political views into it. Fine do it but please why use scores than? In general scores will only upset other people who do not agree with. Score will just cause even more toxic talks be it ia good or bad score. Get rid of scores and I am totally fine with someone rating movies based on their own ideology even if the game is some stupid action hero movie.

edit: Another way how to counter this is to get famous Movie review youtubers in on it. They would also balance out the scores much better.

McFads1

Neo Member
just finished it.

I grew up loving the justice league tv show on toonami, with them being my favorite superhero franchise.

I thought this movie did the justice league justice, I really enjoyed it.

- edit -

you know, it kinda irks me the wrong way that people aren't even giving this movie a chance.
it kinda even erks me even more that critic review is so much different than the audience score on metacritic.

it feels like they went into the movie with an agenda, which is why they scored it so low, and that's just not fair.
this should be a 7.5 minimum

shira

just finished it.

I grew up loving the justice league tv show on toonami, with them being my favorite superhero franchise.

I thought this movie did the justice league justice, I really enjoyed it.

- edit -

you know, it kinda irks me the wrong way that people aren't even giving this movie a chance.
it kinda even erks me even more that critic review is so much different than the audience score on metacritic.

it feels like they went into the movie with an agenda, which is why they scored it so low, and that's just not fair.
this should be a 7.5 minimum
They watch movies as a job - these people watch 200-400 movies a year sometimes.

What is your 7.5? It feels like a 7.5?
These people have to dock marks for unfinished CG, incomprehensible story, pointless characters.

I mean most people would give McDonald's a 7.5.
Do you think a food critic who rates restaurants is going to give McDonald's a 7.5?
It's shit food with loads of fat and salt.

Dunki

They watch movies as a job - these people watch 200-400 movies a year sometimes.

These people have to dock marks for unfinished CG, incomprehensible story, pointless characters.

Do you think a food critic who rates restaurants is going to give McDonald's a 7.5?

Oh thats why Ghostbuster 2016 got a 7.5 rotten score by critics. And I thought it was because of some agenda and politics. Yeah you are right. the CGI effects were really good for a low budget movie from the 80s.

Oh yeah and critics acting like they are some kind of elite and superior is not helping your argument either.

Fbh

Tickets are like $15 or more where I live. That's too much to just go and see if I like this or not, especially when even most people that liked it in this thread say that it's, at most, as good as a marvel movie (the vast majority of which are also not worth Paying $15 for).
I can just wait half a year and rent it for much less than that (with what we'd pay for 2-3 people to go see this we can rent it later, order pizza and buy enough beers for the night).

The last movie I went to watch and felt like it was truly worth it was Blade Runner. I loved the plot and performance but just simply taking in the visuals and audio in cinema quality made it worth it.

Where I used to live (another country) I could go watch movies for like $5, and I always gave movies like this a chance and didn't listen to much to critics. But for the prices I have to pay now I only go watch stuff that both critics and viewers say are worth it

tkscz

Of course, that's the point, it's your money : The problem becomes supporting this trash - or even mediocrity - means we won't get good films.

Why watch this for $10 over Batman Begins, Dark Knight or any other superhero movie again? Spiderman 2, X2, Captain America 2... Cheaper and a better spent two hours.

I paid for Suicide Squad which was an incoherent mess so I'm not innocent.

What is JL doing to warrant a viewing now over a $2 Redbox later? IMHO nothing.

For me, "is it fun" warrants my $10. I hate boring movies that "engage" me or any of that. Did I have a good time is all I need to warrant $10. And I had a good time, so worth the $10.

shira

Oh thats why Ghostbuster 2016 got a 7.5 rotten score by critics. And I thought it was because of some agenda and politics. Yeah you are right. the CGI effects were really good for a low budget movie from the 80s.

Oh yeah and critics acting like they are some kind of elite and superior is not helping your argument either.
1. Discredit media
2. Whataboutism
3. Trolling

Your tactic sounds familiar?

Dunki

1. Discredit media
2. Whataboutism
3. Trolling

Your tactic sounds familiar?

1. So I can not discredit media? I am sorry better throw me in jail then. Honestly I do not care if you are from FOX, Washington Post, Huffington post or whatever when you do a very bad job I will say it. Same with critics or some call it "journalism"

2. Whataboutism? No this is called example why this post was wrong. And it showed again the huge disconnect between "critics" on sites like rotten and with the actual crowd and why this is a problem. I even tried to find solutions for this huge difference while you basically tried to argue that since they watched more movies they have a better and more elite taste and the plebs actually paying for a movie have no idea because they only eat "fastfood"

3. Where do I troll? I am stating my opinion nothing else. If you think not agreeing with your pretty bad reasoning is trolling I can not help you. Also trying to pull me in some ideology and make me some bad apple is pretty dishonest as well.

shogunduk

it was bad but i didn't feel like jumping off a building after, so it was slightly better than BvS.

i can't believe how lame the main villain was.

I found it inconsistent how stevenwolf got his ass handed so easily, no lotr battle like his first encounter. Typical superhero movies troupe i guess.

Part of it was because he wasn't as powerful, he was no longer a New God. He says at one stage that he's only doing everything he's doing because he wants to earn Darkseid's favour and end his exile, which he presumably "earned" when he lost that battle on Earth and lost the 3 Mother Boxes.

When he fights after he arrives back on Earth he never comes across as overly powerful anyway, except maybe once during the scenes with the Amazons. Even later on when he fights Diana you get the impression he only does it because he doesn't see another Amazon as a threat and he doesn't realise she's part God herself until after. The other times like in Metropolis and Atlantis, he just dives in for the Mother Box and runs off as soon as he has it.

Steppenwolf was the ultimate chickenshit villain.

Android Kuma

Neo Member
Why is Zack Snyder still directing these movies when he clearly can't do it well? Honestly, just cancel this DC Cinematic Universe and wait a decade before rebooting it properly with a good director.

Z3M0G

LOL @ DC, what a disaster.

Atleast Wonder Woman was the best movie of the year, although I've yet to see Thor 3.
GF and I were bored to tears in the 3rd act of WW... my immediate worry was for the rest of this franchise.

Watched Thor today, it was great, but again the action scenes got tiring near the end.

Maybe we are just getting old...

Lokimaru

I don't use ANY critics, If I want to see something I will move heaven and earth to do so if I don't NOTHING will convince me to go see It. I still haven't seen Thor cause the first two put me to fucking sleep and I don't care about Thor anyway so I'm not going to waste my time on something I can give jack shit about. I caught both Dr. Strange and Spider-man on home-video and while entertaining they were forgettable like all marvel movies tend to be. MoS and BvS stuck with me, This movie didn't. There was no THERE there cause they didn't stick the landing. WHAT WAS THIS ABOUT! It was like watching one professor give another professor's lecture when he doesn't really understand it.

it wasn’t terrible but nothing to write home about. mediocre

also hated the fact that they basically deem everyone in the league useless except one boring mother fucker. yeah, such a fucking TEAM.

on to black panther

RAWi

Supes is way more likeable here, crack some wit here there, no more brood dark bore.

Yup. Batman was also a good character. The interactions of Superman with Cyborg and Flash were really great.

I liked the movie. It was a big step up from Batman v Superman. And, still don't like some shots of Wonder Woman, scenes shot in a specific angle so we can see her ass and this only happens with her (wtf!).

Raziel

Yup. Batman was also a good character. The interactions of Superman with Cyborg and Flash were really great.

I liked the movie. It was a big step up from Batman v Superman. And, still don't like some shots of Wonder Woman, scenes shot in a specific angle so we can see her ass and this only happens with her (wtf!).

Why has Henry Cavill had shirtless scenes in literally every DCEU movie he's been in? lol

Alx

I agree the ass-shots were too obvious, even I noticed them. Shirtless scenes are fan-service too, but you can at least try to make them fit a context, while framing a single part of someone's anatomy is just cheap.

tkscz

I agree the ass-shots were too obvious, even I noticed them. Shirtless scenes are fan-service too, but you can at least try to make them fit a context, while framing a single part of someone's anatomy is just cheap.

Superman's shirtless scenes made the least amount of scene to me. When he got revived his pants stayed on but his shirt for some reason blew off.

Also can't forget that one Batman scene. "Oh man, I'm in pain everyone, but I only need to check the bruises on my abs."

How did you miss the ass shots of Aquaman, Flash AND Cyborg. There were ass shots of everyone.

llien

Understandable, but then, how do you explain critics giving Age of Ultron 75%? (audience score is on par, AoU's is actually a bit lower)

I just love the hand waiving going on in this thread. Dog piling certainly is a thing among reviewers. WW was wayyy over rated and JL you could feel was going to be dogpiled because of batfleck and it’s dark tone. I’ve seen plenty of bad movies and JLs quality doesn’t reflect a 37% RT score it’s as simple as that. And I hated BvS and Suicide Squad. I’d expect a RT score of 65-75% honestly. It’s a really hard movie to not have a good time watching unless you have some agenda you’re trying to push. Examples of said agenda are those BS cyborg clips floating around. The CGI has a few rough moments but as a whole it’s not bad.

Hand waving? How about the use of selective facts to draw a false conclusion. You can pick and choose which example helps make you case, same as anyone could do to draw any conclusion they'd like on any topic. Critics do not dog pile, they don't all get together to form some sort of artificial consensus. There's no anti DC conspiracy here. Just a bad movie that fans of genre films will jump through hoops for to explain why it actually is a 'top 5 comic book movie of all time!'.

RAWi

Why has Henry Cavill had shirtless scenes in literally every DCEU movie he's been in? lol

Touché. I'm not sure if that makes it equal, haha. My biggest issue is that Wonder Woman has lots of low angle shots, while the other guys don't get those. Don't know, feels weird, to me.

How did you miss the ass shots of Aquaman, Flash AND Cyborg. There were ass shots of everyone.
Well, I didn't miss that shot. I saw their asses xD. On that shot you can see a bit of Wonder Woman's left cheek.

And... yeah, the only one you don't see shirtless is Flash, perhaps because of the body build.

Looking forward to seeing JL. But first I gotta watch Wonder Woman, got the bluray today. :)

I vastly prefer the DCCU over the MCU. Often times Marvel-fans criticize DC's movies for being too serious or taking themselves too serious - that's exactly what I like about them. I love serious stories, especially when they feature fantastical elements/themes.

And just for the record: the longer cut if BvS is a lot better than the original release.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Have to say I noticed the camera angles on wonder woman and thought they were done to see ass as well. bit poor to be honest even though she has a great ass

RAWi

Btw, if anyone hasn't watch it, stay for the two after-credit scenes. I felt that those scenes were really good/fun.

Movie was better than BVS at least. Still not that great of a movie, but at least much more tolerable. Wish they made the movie about the original war against the dude that showed up as the bad guy in this one; the war scenes of that flashback were among the best in the movie.

BadAss2961

Looking forward to seeing JL. But first I gotta watch Wonder Woman, got the bluray today. :)

I vastly prefer the DCCU over the MCU. Often times Marvel-fans criticize DC's movies for being too serious or taking themselves too serious - that's exactly what I like about them. I love serious stories, especially when they feature fantastical elements/themes.

And just for the record: the longer cut if BvS is a lot better than the original release.
Feeling this post.

Wonder Woman is really good, has fun but still takes itself seriously. Justice League is closer to a Marvel movie though.

Top Bottom